Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

If receiving casual racism effectively undermines any attempt at integration, because apparently Muslim migrants are special snowflakes without agency or responsibility to integrate until everything is perfect, then they should try integrating into any other non Muslim country, and see how far they get. They've been treated better than any other historical migrant group, hand wringing over unemployment, when they effectively live in self sustaining bubbles totally disconnected from the society around them, is the symptom of an insane mind. They have a responsibility to integrate, which they are not living up to, the failure is on their shoulders, and theirs alone.

Edit: actually, on reflection, the blame also lies on the people assumimg integration just happens naturally, absent any actual guiding or incentive structure. Either way, shifting blaming onto the society that had and continues to welcome them is bullshit.

It's not really integration that's the issue. With or without racism, integration happens. We're dealing with a dark nook and cranny in that process. If 99.9% of a refugee population integrated just fine, there'd be nothing really to discuss. But if that .1% ended up ideologically aligned with a cult that advocated senseless violence, you still have a problem, even if the overwhelming procedure of integration was working, because you can't allow that .1% to exist. The casual racism I was discussing doesn't play so heavily into the overall integration process. It's more about its effect it has on that .1%, by validating ISIS propaganda. So even though, as I've already said, it's far from the sole factor at play, it's still something where work can be done to limit jihadist influence in the west.

And lol that refugees are failing to live up to their expectations to integrate when they've literally just gotten there. I'm sure there's all sorts of facts and data that support that view on stormfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

It's not really integration that's the issue. With or without racism, integration happens. We're dealing with a dark nook and cranny in that process. If 99.9% of a refugee population integrated just fine, there'd be nothing really to discuss. But if that .1% ended up ideologically aligned with a cult that advocated senseless violence, you still have a problem, even if the overwhelming procedure of integration was working, because you can't allow that .1% to exist. The casual racism I was discussing doesn't play so heavily into the overall integration process. It's more about its effect it has on that .1%, by validating ISIS propaganda. So even though, as I've already said, it's far from the sole factor at play, it's still something where work can be done to limit jihadist influence in the west.

And lol that refugees are failing to live up to their expectations to integrate when they've literally just gotten there. I'm sure there's all sorts of facts and data that support that view on stormfront.

You're a good poster who understands the fundamental issues, Volkerball. Unfortunately, those whom you respond to do not seem to.

Have you ever considered running for office?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Volkerball posted:

I think he's referring to the second gen terrorists who have had loads of time to integrate. In regards to casual racism, I would argue it's not possible as ISIS is trying and succeeding in making the west fear islam by continued attacks.

Refugees are screwed no matter where they go, its a terrible situation for them.

Unfortunately it'll probably get to the point where countries simply close their borders to the middle east entirely and forcibly deport people based on ethnic profile.

Had the refugee crisis been handled properly, with all EU members on board and clear messages on what will happen, it could have been a fantastic victory for human rights and refugees.

Instead it was used to gain popularity with a stupid and short-sighted slogan of "Germany welcomes every refugee!" which was understandably misunderstood by everyone and will end up as the worst fuckup of a mass migration ever.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

rudatron posted:

If receiving casual racism effectively undermines any attempt at integration, because apparently Muslim migrants are special snowflakes without agency or responsibility to integrate until everything is perfect

Let me stop you there - no. You are the one refusing to assign responsibility where it is due, not us. You are the one pretending that Europe has no role to play in ensuring that its citizens are not alienated and marginalized.

quote:

They've been treated better than any other historical migrant group, hand wringing over unemployment, when they effectively live in self sustaining bubbles totally disconnected from the society around them, is the symptom of an insane mind. They have a responsibility to integrate, which they are not living up to, the failure is on their shoulders, and theirs alone.

I mean, it's nice that you have this narrative running through your head, but the evidence just doesn't support your claims. Employment discrimination and other forms of discrimination exist, and they pretty negatively affect the prospects of immigrants from the Islamic world, as well as their children. That's one of the root causes of radicalization and terrorist activity. You need to start accepting that the data, plus what people who actually know the first thing about counterterrorism (ie: not you) are saying, are not on your side.

Baxta posted:

I think he's referring to the second gen terrorists who have had loads of time to integrate.

Again, they have had time, but not the opportunity. Western European society has not done a good job of offering them equal opportunities at employment or social advancement.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Let me stop you there - no. You are the one refusing to assign responsibility where it is due, not us. You are the one pretending that Europe has no role to play in ensuring that its citizens are not alienated and marginalized.

I mean, it's nice that you have this narrative running through your head, but the evidence just doesn't support your claims. Employment discrimination and other forms of discrimination exist, and they pretty negatively affect the prospects of immigrants from the Islamic world, as well as their children. That's one of the root causes of radicalization and terrorist activity. You need to start accepting that the data, plus what people who actually know the first thing about counterterrorism (ie: not you) are saying, are not on your side.

Again, they have had time, but not the opportunity. Western European society has not done a good job of offering them equal opportunities at employment or social advancement.

I disagree. Opportunity exists for those who seek it out. Have they sought out opportunity, or have they only sat on their asses while demanding it be bestowed upon them?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

Of course not, and I didn't mean to imply that. Merkel's administrations efforts for one are probably the largest political attempt to extend a helping hand to people fleeing these conflicts of any country in the world. And of course I've seen the Refugees Welcome efforts and plenty of heart-warming things from Europe as well. But anti-refugee sentiment is certainly a lot more prominent there. I suppose it could be expected given that Europe's debate is more centered around "These people are coming here, what do we do about it?" rather than "should we maybe offer to let some of these people in," as well as the fact that Muslims are a lot more prominent as a minority sect in most European nations, but the fact remains.

On the other hand, anti-Mexican sentiment is virtually absent from Europe, while anti-refugee sentiment is present enough in the USA to be one plank of Trump's platform (anti-Mexican sentiment being another).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

On the other hand, anti-Mexican sentiment is virtually absent from Europe, while anti-refugee sentiment is present enough in the USA to be one plank of Trump's platform (anti-Mexican sentiment being another).

Perhaps if refugees had demonstrated their love for American values more, via the process of killing ISIS rather than running away from them, they would not be one plank of Trump's many platforms.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Majorian posted:

Actually, Europe has given more opportunity for all those things compared to any other western country. Arguing that there is too much casual racism in Europe is funny coming from some whose country has Trump. Your idealism has no basis in reality.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

My Imaginary GF posted:

Perhaps if refugees had demonstrated their love for American values more, via the process of killing ISIS rather than running away from them, they would not be one plank of Trump's many platforms.

I eagerly await records and pics of you killing ISIS fighters in battle. I'm sure an upstanding American such as you has quite a few.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Baxta posted:

Actually, Europe has given more opportunity for all those things compared to any other western country. Arguing that there is too much casual racism in Europe is funny coming from some whose country has Trump. Your idealism has no basis in reality.

Question that should be really asked is whether there is more racism in Europe than the points of origins for these illegal immigrants.

my dad posted:

I eagerly await records and pics of you killing ISIS fighters in battle. I'm sure an upstanding American such as you has quite a few.

Wouldn't it be great if we could crowdsource our dronewar against ISiL to America's gamer community?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Volkerball posted:

Of course not, and I didn't mean to imply that. Merkel's administrations efforts for one are probably the largest political attempt to extend a helping hand to people fleeing these conflicts of any country in the world. And of course I've seen the Refugees Welcome efforts and plenty of heart-warming things from Europe as well. But anti-refugee sentiment is certainly a lot more prominent there. I suppose it could be expected given that Europe's debate is more centered around "These people are coming here, what do we do about it?" rather than "should we maybe offer to let some of these people in," as well as the fact that Muslims are a lot more prominent as a minority sect in most European nations, but the fact remains.
Aren't the Syrians going to Canada handpicked in Turkish refugee camps? From what I can tell they're choosing women, children, and families, over young men, while the latter is the vast majority of the ones arriving in Europe. On top of that, the non-UK parts of Germanic Europe receive more to way more refugees per capita than Canada. Obviously you also have some countries in Eastern Europe which are flipping out about the possibility of having to settle like a bus load of refugees, which is crazy, but the situation in the countries where refugees actually go is quite different from that in Canada. Bringing in functioning family units, and generally a more balanced demographic profile, rather than just having a bunch of young men show up, is probably a major advantage in terms of integration and the local response to refugees.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baxta posted:

I think he's referring to the second gen terrorists who have had loads of time to integrate. In regards to casual racism, I would argue it's not possible as ISIS is trying and succeeding in making the west fear islam by continued attacks.

Refugees are screwed no matter where they go, its a terrible situation for them.

Unfortunately it'll probably get to the point where countries simply close their borders to the middle east entirely and forcibly deport people based on ethnic profile.

Had the refugee crisis been handled properly, with all EU members on board and clear messages on what will happen, it could have been a fantastic victory for human rights and refugees.

Instead it was used to gain popularity with a stupid and short-sighted slogan of "Germany welcomes every refugee!" which was understandably misunderstood by everyone and will end up as the worst fuckup of a mass migration ever.

If a white American winds up with a bad crowd and dies of a heroin overdose, or shoots up some people he's been led to hate, do we say white people aren't properly integrated in the US? There's a different dynamic at play than just "a shitload of Muslims now live in Europe." You're dealing with individuals here. Commentary on massive groups of people doesn't address that. And shutting the borders and throwing a "no muslims allowed" sign over the region might be the most counter-productive thing you could ever do in the interest of fighting jihadist ideology.

"The West hates Muslims, and want us all to be killed by dictators when they aren't bombing us themselves."

"That's ridiculous, the Crusades were a long time ago. The world has changed."

"We're literally loving banned from here. That's why we are having this conversation in this basement, in secret."

"Oh yeah. That. Right."

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You're taking the low employment rate as a given, and not itself a symptom, when you have no evidence to do so. Maybe the lack of employment is from the lack of integration, not the other way around? Can you disprove that? No, yet you're expecting me to, without doubt, accept your claim that everything is 100% of the fault of the European society, that the migrant communities can do no wrong. It's blame shifting, and especially after these kinds of attacks, it's essentially victim blaming. Hell, not every low-employment neighborhood is a breeding ground. I agree that the EU governments have failed, but the failure isn't a lack of welfare, it's a lack of guidance. They should have been stricter on enforcing the norms and standards of the country they were immigrating into. If they don't find that acceptable, if that's too far a bar to clear, they should have gone somewhere else. Absent that, we have the situation now, where 2nd gen migrants are promising to enact sharia law in their neighborhoods, and getting elected on those grounds. How can you say they're integrating when this is happening? How can you say they're integrating when these attacks are happening? They're clearly not.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Baxta posted:

Actually, Europe has given more opportunity for all those things compared to any other western country.

Oh that's great, I'm so glad to...

...oh.:stare:

(trans: "Europe for Europeans, Islamization out")

Yeah, no, Europe has not "given more opportunity for all of those things compared to any other western country." poo poo like this happens routinely. If you want Muslims to integrate fully into European society, guess what needs to not happen? This poo poo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

rudatron posted:

You're taking the low employment rate as a given, and not itself a symptom

That's ridiculous. Everyone citing the unemployment rate here is characterizing it as symptomatic of broader structural issues, like the fact that there is unemployment discrimination against people from the Middle East and North Africa.

quote:

yet you're expecting me to, without doubt, accept your claim that everything is 100% of the fault of the European society,

No one's claiming this; stop whining that they are when you know they're not. It's really childish.

The rest of your post advocates a social system which is very much at odds with the egalitarian, polyethnic, multicultural values upon which modern Western society is built. If you want a homogeneous country full of non-Muslims, where people aren't asking you to be more tolerant of people who don't hurt you, move to Belarus.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 24, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Aren't the Syrians going to Canada handpicked in Turkish refugee camps? From what I can tell they're choosing women, children, and families, over young men, while the latter is the vast majority of the ones arriving in Europe. On top of that, the non-UK parts of Germanic Europe receive more to way more refugees per capita than Canada. Obviously you also have some countries in Eastern Europe which are flipping out about the possibility of having to settle like a bus load of refugees, which is crazy, but the situation in the countries where refugees actually go is quite different from that in Canada. Bringing in functioning family units, and generally a more balanced demographic profile, rather than just having a bunch of young men show up, is probably a major advantage in terms of integration and the local response to refugees.

He is, of course, full of poo poo and for all intents and purposes, Canada has had virtually no refugees coming in compared to Germany. It's on the same level as claiming that Europe is so much more tolerant than the US because Europeans don't make an issue out of Mexican illegal immigrants. And that's even ignoring the fact that the refugee crisis actually has featured prominently in American political discussions, with the frontrunner of one of the two major parties straight up calling for a ban on muslims entering the country.

Stop it with these godawful, insufferable pissing contests about who is the most enlightened and tolerant. I don't see the point of a thread about a current event when after three pages it devolves into people who know almost nothing about the specific subject in question endlessly repeating the same platitudes that they do in every other D&D thread.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is it difficult for you to accept, Majorian, that the Islamic equivalent of the people you just posted exist in these migrant communities, yet unlike in Europe, they run the show? You're defending these reactionary-islamists with this bullshit blame shifting to 'racist europeans' every loving time. No, these attacks are not happening because of what the EU has done, but what the islamists have done, their organizing efforts, their support networks. Absent them, these attacks wouldn't happen. These islamists don't want integration, yet you keep pointing to unemployment as the causative factor here. But not every unemployed person is two steps away from strapping a bomb to themselves.

They're being egged on by these islamists, and if preventing that from happening is somehow not 'egalitarian or polyethnic', then I don't think those words mean what you think they mean! If you think holding everyone to the same standard is inegalitarian, then you've totally lost perspective on what egalitarianism is, and why it's important. If you think accepting that anyone of any ethnicity can be european, so long as they act european, is not 'polyethnic', then you're totally ignorant on what ethnicity actually is, and how it doesn't have anything to do with who you are as a person. And if you feel that your - your - interpretation of these ideas, is what the foundation of the west is, you're insane.

Look inside yourself - do you have an image of what the ideal future is? Mine is one where everyone is treated respectful, has a responsibility to do that to others, so that everyone can live the good life. If yours is too: Look at the world now - do you think we're heading there? At some point, these migrants have to take agency, they must accept responsibility. Do you acknowledge that? Or are you just going to keep demanding that all europeans be 100% perfect/non-racist/without-any-flaws-that-we-can-shift-blame-onto before the migrants do anything, that everything is the fault of europeans, because of poo poo 30 years ago that America did (not Belgium, America), and that clearly the 'root cause' of the problem is beyond the control of migrant communities. Do you think that, if you keep treating them like children, that that future is ever going to loving happen?

rudatron fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 24, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Volkerball posted:

If a white American winds up with a bad crowd and dies of a heroin overdose, or shoots up some people he's been led to hate, do we say white people aren't properly integrated in the US? There's a different dynamic at play than just "a shitload of Muslims now live in Europe." You're dealing with individuals here. Commentary on massive groups of people doesn't address that. And shutting the borders and throwing a "no muslims allowed" sign over the region might be the most counter-productive thing you could ever do in the interest of fighting jihadist ideology.

"The West hates Muslims, and want us all to be killed by dictators when they aren't bombing us themselves."

"We're literally loving banned from here. That's why we are having this conversation in this basement, in secret."

"Oh yeah. That. Right."

Correct, it would probably be cool to clean up the terminology since the currently used concept of integration makes it appear the talk is about the entire immigrant population. So moving to a sort of normalised vocabulary, applicable to all people equally would probably help too establish that we are talking about a subset of immigrant population that has problems which are not unique to them by virtue of their descent, but to which they are more vulnerable, and which sometimes produce unique pathologies (terrorism) caused by opportunistic agents.

What we are talking about is the prevalence of excluded communities among immigrant groups, and the issues associated with social exclusion. Integration is nothing more, then, than being able to arrive to a country without immediately falling into an excluded environment.

Social exclusion is a universal concept, and indeed gets brought up often in cases of dysfunctions within the in-group (young guys who get into drugs, join skinheads etc. As symptoms of overall frustration), unfortunately minorities often don't get examined through the same benevolent lens because people try to figure out unique causes of their problems, ultimately alienating them further.

So in the end what we need is the sort of social work and counselling available in disadvantaged communities in general, and policing effort aimed at the opportunistic Islamist agents in particular.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^agreed

Phlegmish posted:

He is, of course, full of poo poo and for all intents and purposes, Canada has had virtually no refugees coming in compared to Germany. It's on the same level as claiming that Europe is so much more tolerant than the US because Europeans don't make an issue out of Mexican illegal immigrants. And that's even ignoring the fact that the refugee crisis actually has featured prominently in American political discussions, with the frontrunner of one of the two major parties straight up calling for a ban on muslims entering the country.

Stop it with these godawful, insufferable pissing contests about who is the most enlightened and tolerant. I don't see the point of a thread about a current event when after three pages it devolves into people who know almost nothing about the specific subject in question endlessly repeating the same platitudes that they do in every other D&D thread.

Canada has over a million Muslims in it, and Toronto is 7% Muslim, yet terrorism is basically nonexistent, as is anti-Muslim representation in the media and government. You'll notice the US also has an issue with terrorism, so that doesn't exactly refute my point. Especially since Canada is taking in more Syrian refugees than the US, with half the headache from white nationalists. It's not a pissing contest about who's the most enlightened and tolerant. It's about finding out where terrorism isn't happening, and why, and where it is, and why, to use that to guide strategy moving forward.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 24, 2016

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Majorian posted:

Oh that's great, I'm so glad to...

...oh.:stare:

(trans: "Europe for Europeans, Islamization out")

Yeah, no, Europe has not "given more opportunity for all of those things compared to any other western country." poo poo like this happens routinely. If you want Muslims to integrate fully into European society, guess what needs to not happen? This poo poo.

Did... did you want me to post the american equivalents? I dont really think theres enough room...

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Volkerball posted:

"Oh yeah. That. Right."

I'm not saying its right or just, but it absolutely will happen.

You're missing that there is an organisation speaking for the religion. Thats completely new in modern times. That organisation is taking credit for all the atrocities perpetrated by its followers in order to incite hate to get more followers. It's working. The solution is to support and trust a group of people following a religion that, to the majority, is responsible for unspeakable violence. The link between islam and ISIS shouldnt be there. We as a society should be able to understand the difference between normal people and radical fundamentalists.

But we wont.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Volkerball posted:

^^^^agreed

Canada has over a million Muslims in it, and Toronto is 7% Muslim, yet terrorism is basically nonexistent, as is anti-Muslim representation in the media and government.

In a European context that would be only 7%. Is your suggestion that European cities should take the Canadian example and half their muslim population?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Baxta posted:

The solution is to support and trust a group of people following a religion that, to the majority, is responsible for unspeakable violence. The link between islam and ISIS shouldnt be there. We as a society should be able to understand the difference between normal people and radical fundamentalists.

But we wont.

And you never will, as long as the dominant paradigm is that either there is no difference or that normal people are just as guilty as those who commit the crimes.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Oh look, being subject to hate crimes makes you less likely to assimilate

Whoa

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Chomskyan posted:

Whoa

It's actually showing that radical terrorists blowing poo poo up in the name of religion causes hate crimes. That's why they blow poo poo up.

EDIT: And apparently makes immigrants super fertile. I have no idea why that is included in the study.

Baxta fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 24, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chomskyan posted:

Whoa

And the study has been done in the USA, this magical place where anti-Muslim sentiment doesn't exist at all, which is why American posters are bloviating here about how Europeans are bad.

And who can forget Straya's stop the boats and gently caress off, we're full slogans? Truly, Europe is the worst of the west.

Volkerball posted:

Canada has over a million Muslims in it, and Toronto is 7% Muslim, yet terrorism is basically nonexistent, as is anti-Muslim representation in the media and government. You'll notice the US also has an issue with terrorism, so that doesn't exactly refute my point. Especially since Canada is taking in more Syrian refugees than the US, with half the headache from white nationalists. It's not a pissing contest about who's the most enlightened and tolerant. It's about finding out where terrorism isn't happening, and why, and where it is, and why, to use that to guide strategy moving forward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism#Canada

quote:

According to recent government statements Islamic terrorism is the biggest threat to Canada.[216] The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) reported that terrorist radicalization at home is now the chief preoccupation of Canada's spy agency.[217] The most notorious arrest in Canada's fight on terrorism, was the 2006 Ontario terrorism plot in which 18 Al-Qaeda-inspired cell members were arrested for planning a mass bombing, shooting, and hostage taking terror plot throughout Southern Ontario. There have also been other arrests mostly in Ontario involving terror plots.[218]

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/anti-muslim-acts-reported-in-canada-since-paris

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 24, 2016

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You think maybe it goes both ways? That just as hate crimes against muslims increase isolation, terrorist attacks increase the the probability of those hate crimes occurring? That the tribalists on both sides feed of each other? This double standard where the EU, collectively, is 100% responsible for any hate crimes against muslims, they're the only ones that can go wrong, but the communities themselves get to accept no responsibility for these attacks (of course it's again the fault of the EU), is total hypocrisy. Either both communities take responsibility, or it's just individuals and nothing to do them as a whole. Or, we accept that political dynamics effect the probability of each of the respective events, and we still have a problem within migrant communities. The way reaction is ascendant within islam is really dangerous, you have to acknowledge it, you can't just ignore it. Doesn't mean you ban Islam or whatever, but you have to open your loving eyes - there is a problem here, it's a political problem, and it's inside these communities. Stop loving shifting blame.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baxta posted:

It's actually showing that radical terrorists blowing poo poo up in the name of religion causes hate crimes. That's why they blow poo poo up.

EDIT: And apparently makes immigrants super fertile. I have no idea why that is included in the study.

Because having few children is a sign of having secular values, at least indirectly.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Warm, welcoming Europe

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
First, this is a problematic statistic for reasons brought up earlier in the thread, second, shaming won't make people more tolerant, if anything it's the other way around. I thought that progressives were supposed to get that bit.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://mondediplo.com/2015/02/06charlie

quote:

Is discrimination against black people and Arabs because of their colour, or because they are poor? Racial bias in checking IDs, the cause of frequent clashes between young people and the police, sheds light on this. In 2007-08, two sociologists followed police patrols at the Gare du Nord and Châtelet-les-Halles metro stations in Paris. They examined 525 ID checks and observed that people identified as “black” or “Arab” were respectively 6 and 7.8 times more likely to be checked than whites. There was another important variable: clothing. People dressed counter-culturally, especially those with a “hip-hop appearance”, were 11.4 times more likely to have their papers checked than those in city or casual clothes. A white male in a hoodie and baseball cap (the uniform of working class suburban youth) was more likely to be harassed than a black man in a suit.

Racism is a useful tool to try to pretend classism doesn't exist. You start by claiming that poor migrants can't get jobs because they're migrants, instead of because they're poor, and then it makes the FYGM policies aimed at increasing inequalities not seem like a problem at all! Keep feeding the idea that the problems are uniquely caused by cultural and ethnic differences instead of by the 1%'s greed, and you can end up getting the paupers to fight against each others while you laugh all the way to the bank in your private bizjet.

You want to integrate the minorities in Europe? You start by eating the rich.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Chomskyan posted:

Warm, welcoming Europe

If you worked for a organization that has alleged terrorist links, you might find it harder to find employment. That's not religious discrimination, that's just common sense.

Not to mention the fact that if you recruit someone for a position with a lot of external contacts and their CV includes a lot of religious activity it's only natural to prefer the person that is member of the dominant religion, because it is very likely that they can relate much better to their contacts, which is an important part of the job.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 24, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

If you worked for a organization that has alleged terrorist links, you might find it harder to find employment. That's not religious discrimination, that's just common sense.

Not to mention the fact that if you recruit someone for a position with a lot of external contacts and their CV includes a lot of religious activity it's only natural to prefer the person that is member of the dominant religion, because it is very likely that they can relate much better to their contacts, which is an important part of the job.
What are you talking about?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What are you talking about?

The study that was linked in the post I quoted. I thought that was obvious.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

GaussianCopula posted:

no organization with terrorist links was mentioned in the article though?

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think we`ll just have to deal with this being the new normal. We can`t make sure that every single European Muslim likes it here and feels welcome. We can`t keep them all away from Islamic orgs no more then we can keep all the white boys away from the Neo-nazis. It just can`t be done. Nor can we remove the muslim population, nor can we ever hire enough spies and destroy enough civil liberties to keep tabs on every single person that wants to kill innocents.

We will just have to dig down and endure.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Foppery posted:

no organization with terrorist links was mentioned in the article though?

You have to read the whole study, where they describe their methodology. It includes creating 3 CV, one secular, one obviously Christian and a Muslim one. The Muslim candidate had https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Relief in it, which is linked to Hamas.

quote:

In June 2014, Israel added IRW to a list of organisations banned from operating in Israel, for allegedly funding Hamas. Islamic Relief continued to operate despite the ban and two days later the charity’s West Bank offices were raided and their computers were destroyed, files were stolen, and office safe was blown apart. A 2014 audit commissioned by Islamic Relief and carried out by "a leading global audit firm" found no evidence of any link to terrorism. The Israeli government responded by claiming its decision to declare IRW illegal was "based on information that has been accumulated over years, that the fund is a central player in financing of Hamas".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

In my defense, I didn't actually realize the image linked anywhere. In any case, I do question the fact that they included religious organizations on the CV in the study, at least without also having an entirely secular CV for the "clearly Muslim" woman. It doesn't seem impossible that the combination of the two would strengthen any anti-Muslim bias.

GaussianCopula posted:

You have to read the whole study, where they describe their methodology. It includes creating 3 CV, one secular, one obviously Christian and a Muslim one. The Muslim candidate had https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Relief in it, which is linked to Hamas.
It's Israel that's claiming it though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baxta posted:

I think he's referring to the second gen terrorists who have had loads of time to integrate.

And they don't because of mental problems, behavioral problems, criminality, etc. You realize that they aren't integrated in their own communities either? That they go against their parents and neighbors too? We are not talking about a significant number of people, we are talking about lunatics who have a readymade terrorist organization financed and armed by the West to join in because of our oil addiction.

Read these posts and actually understand them, do the barest loving effort to understand the continent you moved into and stop insulting actual natives.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

Yeah no in this case I'd personally side with IRW 100% and declare Israel to be full of poo poo, as usual, since they haven't proved anything about their allegations and have merely seized an opportunity to disrupt a charity that was trying to make life less miserable for Israel's Helots. PROTIP: whenever Israel is telling someone is a terrorist, assume Israel is lying unless the terrorist status can be independently confirmed by a non-American organization.

• Locked thread