Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

moush posted:

Is there any actual 3rd party source for the pay of casters or is this just another case of the OGN casters trying to stir up poo poo to get more money?

James 2GD Harding had a big blog post about his firing from the dota 2 Shanghai major where he said his pay was about $8-$12k depending on the event. In the ogn post they said they asked casters and presenters from other games so I imagine they probably asked for $10k, which is more than likely what the main riot casting crew makes anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This is a video game. Unless your name is Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok and you are in the league grand finals then there is literally 0 argument or reason to continue a game where you or one of your friends are not having fun. Who cares about your rank when you quit lol for good because the games not fun because you are an idiot who clicks no and forces your team mates to sit through a 50 minute loss that they all saw coming 20 minutes ago

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
NA VODs get far more english views than LCK VODs despite the LCK schedule pushing people toward watching VODs rather than live. Only a small subset of fans give a poo poo about Monte Doa and Papasmithy.

The extreme popularity of NA LCS despite Rivington pretty well proves that nobody gives a gently caress about casters anyway.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This is a video game. Unless your name is Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok and you are in the league grand finals then there is literally 0 argument or reason to continue a game where you or one of your friends are not having fun.

ya i agree with this completely. when im playing with people im usually the first person to call a surrender but i try to differentiate between "i dont think we can win here" and "this is not at all enjoyable" and generally if someone says the second thing, people surrender.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Aurelion Sol would be so much cooler if they made his ult look impactful. Yeah it does a lot of damage but it looks like he sneezed some space dust, not him them with the fire of the sun.

Verviticus posted:

ya i agree with this completely. when im playing with people im usually the first person to call a surrender but i try to differentiate between "i dont think we can win here" and "this is not at all enjoyable" and generally if someone says the second thing, people surrender.

You are lucky. Theres a friend of a friend who I play with who refuses to surrender and it's loving poo poo. You can have 3 people sitting there complaining they aren't having any fun at all and want to go do something else that isn't league and him and the random will keep clicking no. There was a game where we were down like 20 kills at 20 minutes that lasted nearly an hour because the enemy were farming us on spawn and spamming all chat and I had to threaten to alt f4 and never play with him again to get him to click yes. I don't like playing with him but he fills out the 5 stack, hes better since that incident, but still.

This is a dude who went to my friends 18th a few years ago and sat under a desk playing osu on his laptop while the rest of us got drunk and had fun. Don't be that guy, no one likes that guy

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Aurelion Sol would be so much cooler if they made his ult look impactful. Yeah it does a lot of damage but it looks like he sneezed some space dust, not him them with the fire of the sun.

You are lucky. Theres a friend of a friend who I play with who refuses to surrender and it's loving poo poo. You can have 3 people sitting there complaining they aren't having any fun at all and want to go do something else that isn't league and him and the random will keep clicking no. There was a game where we were down like 20 kills at 20 minutes that lasted nearly an hour because the enemy were farming us on spawn and spamming all chat and I had to threaten to alt f4 and never play with him again to get him to click yes. I don't like playing with him but he fills out the 5 stack, hes better since that incident, but still.

This is a dude who went to my friends 18th a few years ago and sat under a desk playing osu on his laptop while the rest of us got drunk and had fun. Don't be that guy, no one likes that guy

I have a friend like that. The only time he will vote to surrender is if he feeds massively. I'm talking like 0/10 kind of scores.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

K8.0 posted:

The extreme popularity of NA LCS despite Rivington pretty well proves that nobody gives a gently caress about casters anyway.

Pretty much this. They are getting paid a lot of money relative to the value they bring to the event. No one gives a poo poo about who is calling a match unless they are nasally and awful. As long as their voice is decent, their analysis and everything else is meaningless to most viewers.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Is Nashor's a decent item on solo lane Lulu or would I be better off getting a Luden's

e: Final build being FQC/Dcap/Sorcs/Lichbane/Nashor/Void

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 24, 2016

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Is Nashor's a decent item on solo lane Lulu or would I be better off getting a Luden's

e: Final build being FQC/Dcap/Sorcs/Lichbane/Nashor/Void

Faker builds FCQ -> CDR boots -> Lichbane -> Deathcap -> Voidstaff -> whatever. That sounds pretty good to me.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

blah_blah posted:

Faker builds FCQ -> CDR boots -> Lichbane -> Deathcap -> Voidstaff -> whatever. That sounds pretty good to me.

Guess it just depends on whether I need burst/waveclear or dps?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I started playing Singed (in normals) and it's pretty fun even if I do lose. Splitpush all game and force them to come deal with you while your team hopefully makes picks and grabs objectives. Hard CC is a bitch though while slows are annoying yet are shaken off.

I wish there was an MR item that also gave mana, but there is no such item.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My LoL buddies come in 2 flavors:

There's there one who is a nice and polite guy; but who has a superiority complex about himself. His attitude towards any given game is "How do I carry this?" which isn't bad in and of itself, but he believes that the only way we can win a game is if HE is the lynch pin in the teams plays. He plays champs that are either heavy solo players like Udyr or Nassus, or he plays things like Ez and Veigar who have big damage potential if they are left unmolested in fights; he doesn't care what lane he plays as long as he thinks he can "carry" from there. His stance on surrendering is very much a "It's not fun anymore" one; very rarely will he give up unless it's blatantly obvious we have a snowballs chance in hell of winning. Every time we take a win he talks up how we played; every loss is pointing out flaws in the team, normally with the words "fed", "I couldn't carry" or "should have helped me". At best he is a nice guy with good ideas and a reasonable level of team coordination; at worst he acts as though he is the only "good" player on the team and that we should be thanking him for being in our game.

Number 2 is the happy go lucky rage box, he is an object perfectionist who lacks the ability to view a game subjectively. He mains solo lanes because he wants to be getting kills, as that is how he sees if people are "ahead" or not, and will play Support but will bitch at everything while he plays it; acting like a martyr to the team as though he is sacrificing his fun so others can play other roles. His attitude towards Support is that it's a pointless role whose only job is to be the guy who buys wards; he trys playing big play supports like Blitz or Malph but often fails to do anything with them 9 times out of 10. In solo lanes he will flit between picking champs that are considered strong for the current patch or champs that he remembers being strong previously. He doesn't take the time to learn them or their matchups he relies on them being "OP" to win. In game every kill or objective will generally be met with a "GJ" or "Well done" and he will encourage people if they die while they are on a good streak. However he goes on tilt easily and an early death or not knowing how to play a match-up will cause him to rage and complain that he either isn't reviving enough support from the team or that he isn't going to help the team anymore because everyone is bad. Sometimes he gets on a roll and will do really well even against players ranked above him, but most of the time his performance is very dependent on his match up in lane and how the jungler plays (if he gets kills and successful ganks, he plays well; if he dies or gets too many unsuccessful ganks he will tilt off). At best he is encouraging, joking and fun friend to play with; but at worst he is the last person you'd want on your team, will rage at everything and everyone.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Gridlocked posted:

My LoL buddies come in 2 flavors:

There's there one who is a nice and polite guy; but who has a superiority complex about himself. His attitude towards any given game is "How do I carry this?" which isn't bad in and of itself, but he believes that the only way we can win a game is if HE is the lynch pin in the teams plays. He plays champs that are either heavy solo players like Udyr or Nassus, or he plays things like Ez and Veigar who have big damage potential if they are left unmolested in fights; he doesn't care what lane he plays as long as he thinks he can "carry" from there. His stance on surrendering is very much a "It's not fun anymore" one; very rarely will he give up unless it's blatantly obvious we have a snowballs chance in hell of winning. Every time we take a win he talks up how we played; every loss is pointing out flaws in the team, normally with the words "fed", "I couldn't carry" or "should have helped me". At best he is a nice guy with good ideas and a reasonable level of team coordination; at worst he acts as though he is the only "good" player on the team and that we should be thanking him for being in our game.

this sounds like a good, cool human. play more with him

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Verviticus posted:

this sounds like a good, cool human. play more with him

Can't tell if sarcasm or not. Anyway,

He is currently not talking to anyone who isn't playing The Division because when he gets a grindy Diablo like game he basically shuts off the world that isn't playing that game.

Playing with him is fine unless we are really badly losing in which case he quietly blames the loss on everyone bar himself; up to and including commonly going "PlayerOnOtherTeam is a smurf, thats why we lost" or "PlayerOnOurTeam is a troll and stupid"

He takes criticism well but doesn't actually DO anything about it because he truly believes only he knows the right way to do things. Compare this to Friend 2 who will bitch and moan when you give him some criticism, but will actually try your advice out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

K8.0 posted:

NA VODs get far more english views than LCK VODs despite the LCK schedule pushing people toward watching VODs rather than live. Only a small subset of fans give a poo poo about Monte Doa and Papasmithy.

People watching in spite of the casters doesn't mean nobody gives a gently caress. There are a ton of real sports announcers that are despised and people would be more than happy to have someone else calling games. The fact that they won't literally turn off live sports doesn't somehow mean announcing quality is irrelevant.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Mark Jackson:Phreak

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

People watching in spite of the casters doesn't mean nobody gives a gently caress. There are a ton of real sports announcers that are despised and people would be more than happy to have someone else calling games. The fact that they won't literally turn off live sports doesn't somehow mean announcing quality is irrelevant.

Been watching the NFL my whole life and I'm still constantly tempted to watch games on mute when there's particularly bad announcers.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Man, I love playing games where I disconnect for the latter half and somehow managed to win.

ALSO THIS ISN'T A LUX NERF AT ALL

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 24, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zerilan posted:

Been watching the NFL my whole life and I'm still constantly tempted to watch games on mute when there's particularly bad announcers.

Hell part of the reason I pay for mlb tv is to watch Dodgers home market broadcasts to listen to Vin Scully call games

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Well, 0-4 today, first day all season I think with no wins :(. Trying to get better on Jhin and think I did fine in laning phase but have been feeling kind of lost lately on what to do mid-late in games if we're not definitely ahead. Especially on a less mobile adc where I can't really escape if caught out.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
nice, i got lunar wraith caitlyn from my first chest :)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm sorry, that skin is bad :(

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry, your tastes are bad :(

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

henkman posted:

I'm sorry, that skin is bad :(

say the line, henk...

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
My main...

is a champion I don't play anymore because she's bad :(

e: actually looks like her winrate has gone up to completely average, time break her out

henkman fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 24, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
loving what

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I just watched a Jinx survive all 4 Jhin ult shots just because of a Soraka. It's infuriating.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Shoulda shot the soraka tbh

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

lucifirius posted:

I started playing Singed (in normals) and it's pretty fun even if I do lose. Splitpush all game and force them to come deal with you while your team hopefully makes picks and grabs objectives. Hard CC is a bitch though while slows are annoying yet are shaken off.

I wish there was an MR item that also gave mana, but there is no such item.

mana items on singed are a trap. corrupting potion and/or one dring will provide all you need and you want the rylais asap so you're significantly safer proxying and have teamfight presence.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

a medical mystery posted:

mana items on singed are a trap. corrupting potion and/or one dring will provide all you need and you want the rylais asap so you're significantly safer proxying and have teamfight presence.

I usually at least build rod of ages.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
i once won a singed game where the only item i bought was rod of ages and mr boots

thats my story welp

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

a medical mystery posted:

mana items are pretty good on singed actually but unless you are going rod of ages there is no particular need to rush them. rod of ages is pretty good on him but it makes him pretty passive. a cool item to get on singed is: iceborn gauntlet, as if you are good you can punch people in midair when you fling them

Luna Was Here posted:

i once won a singed game where the only item i bought was rod of ages and mr boots

thats my story welp

cool story bro.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey pog boyfriend when are you gonna do another funny replay analysis?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Hey pog boyfriend when are you gonna do another funny replay analysis?

who knows.. i just go wherever the wind takes me, like yasuo. also similar to yasuo is how i get extra value out of crit chance items due to being always lucky

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

roa isn't a bad item in a vacuum but you can't wait for its power spike before you start pressuring anymore. with rylais or zzrot first you can accomplish a lot more and don't have to sit on advantages or disadvantages to Do Singed Things.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Back by popular demand. Now contains less informational youtube video. Please ignore the rediculous lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKRPONoahwc

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Methanar posted:

Back by popular demand. Now contains less informational youtube video. Please ignore the rediculous lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKRPONoahwc

lol

Obviously triforce would have been a better buy with your 4.6k gold though.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
even meth has more reliable ping than me now :australia:

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's very valuable to be able to play from behind. It's one of the most common situations in league, and I feel that everyone should learn to deal with it. In general if someone is miserable in that situation, it's because they don't know what they're doing. The reason they don't know what they're doing is because they always surrender when the situation arises. I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to practice one of the core scenarios in league just because someone else never wants to practice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Scissors posted:

I think it's very valuable to be able to play from behind. It's one of the most common situations in league, and I feel that everyone should learn to deal with it. In general if someone is miserable in that situation, it's because they don't know what they're doing. The reason they don't know what they're doing is because they always surrender when the situation arises. I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to practice one of the core scenarios in league just because someone else never wants to practice it.

You realise you're basically saying "I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to make other people do something they don't want to do so that I can do something I want to do" here, right? You can easily reverse it to "I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to surrender just because someone else never wants to do it"

• Locked thread