Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How old is your dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vintersorg posted:

How old is your dad?

And what does he do?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

And what does he do?

He plays Warcraft III, I thought that was clear.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Who is your daddy?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Who is your daddy?

Thrall

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like that the name of the big hero Moses Orc dude is literally "Slave".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

How old is your dad?

Grendels Dad posted:

And what does he do?

60, mechanical engineer. He always builds dwarven units in Warcraft 3 :3:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

teagone posted:

60, mechanical engineer. He always builds dwarven units in Warcraft 3 :3:

Is he a Goblin or Gnome engineer? :v:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wanna meet that dad.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Least Warcraft 3 had some fun stuff in it. This is just World of Warcraft barfed onto bad CGI.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 24, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

teagone posted:

I think that's why my dad had told me he's really looking forward to the movie too. It just reminds him so much of the RTS games that he loves. He's never touched WoW, but played the RTS games for the last 2 decades. He still plays Warcraft 3 everyday after work (when he's not playing Banished).

I don't have the heart to tell him I think it looks pretty bad to me, haha. Hoping to be proven otherwise when we go see it, because I also really enjoyed the RTS games and I really liked Moon and Source Code.

it doesn't look like the old games at all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

it doesn't look like the old games at all.

Argue with my dad, not me. He's the one who told me it reminded him of the games. That said, the art direction seems to be reminiscent of WC3's aesthetic though, from what I've seen in the trailers.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking forward to thing because it stars Ragnar from Vikings and its doing the Warcraft 1 story before it became about space paladins.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

teagone posted:

Argue with my dad, not me. He's the one who told me it reminded him of the games.

Buy him an account.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CJ posted:

What racial stereotype is orcs?

The Other

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Buy him an account.

I dunno man, it sounds like he likes his dad too much to put him through that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Buy him an account.

I don't want to have him go through the pains of debating with Groovelord Neato of all people. He's much too old for that kind of bullshit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like that the name of the big hero Moses Orc dude is literally "Slave".

His other name is a combination of Goku and Superman.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Doctor Spaceman posted:

His other name is a combination of Goku and Superman.

Sugoku?

Gooperman?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Sugoku?

Gooperman?

Goku + Kal-El = Go'el

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Funnily enough, in both the Old Testament and the New, Goel is a title attributed to God and means "the redeemer," so that gives you an idea of what Metzen thinks about Thrall.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wonder how many "my people" speeches will be in it.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
lol how bad do you think this movie is going to ruin Duncan Jones' career when it bombs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Immortan posted:

lol how bad do you think this movie is going to ruin Duncan Jones' career when it bombs

He can always go back to directing low budget high concept films. The budgets on Source Code and Moon were only $28m and $5m.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

teagone posted:

I don't want to have him go through the pains of debating with Groovelord Neato of all people. He's much too old for that kind of bullshit.

i wouldn't want to whip an old man anyway.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He can always go back to directing low budget high concept films. The budgets on Source Code and Moon were only $28m and $5m.

Aw I forgot he was the one directing this, I feel sad now.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

wyoming posted:

Aw I forgot he was the one directing this, I feel sad now.

Maybe it'll actually be good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stunt Rock posted:

Maybe it'll actually be good.

Yeah let's hope he'll be more of a James Gunn than a Josh Trank when it comes to this "Low budget director suddenly handed a $100m film" deal.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The only time I ever connected Orcs with black people is then they do the MC Hammer dance in WoW.

Am I weird for never once thinking of them as being an analogue for black people?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It never stops to amuse me that Americans considers that to be low budget movies.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Jamesman posted:

The only time I ever connected Orcs with black people is then they do the MC Hammer dance in WoW.
I thought Tauren do the MC Hammer dance?

EDIT: Never mind, I'm wrong -- they do the Peanut Butter Jelly Time dance.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always treated Warcraft species as taking so many traits from different real-world cultures that they stand on their own as a referrable archetype. Sort of like how Tolkien used a lot of cultural stuff to invent the dwarves, which over time has become a codified archetype of its own.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Sort of like how Tolkien used a lot of cultural stuff to invent the dwarves, which over time has become a codified archetype of its own.

Dwarves being miners and expert craftsmen wasn't something that Tolkien invented.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Dwarves being miners and expert craftsmen wasn't something that Tolkien invented.

I vaguely recall reading that Tolkien's dwarves drew a lot from Jewish culture / stereotypes, culturally/linguisticly. Searching for a home, good with metals, the way they spoke, etc.

Even if that's wrong, my ultimate point is that if you fuse many disparate real world cultures into your fictional characters, it's easier for me to just describe them as their fictional characters. What do Orcs represent? Warcraft orcs. It's been around/refined enough that it's its own thing.

If we were asking what Other Game Race In Another Game represents, "Warcraft Orcs" would be a simple way to define that representation.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 25, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Dwarfs being great craftsmen/miners/tech people has existed literally forever, though I think the first depiction in relatively recent pop culture would be in the 1924 version of Die Nibelungen (it's fully available on Youtube so why are you waiting, it's like the ur-fantasy flick I think even Berserk fans would dig it let alone anyone into Tolkien, I mean it's literally from "RINGS OF THE NIBELUNGEN" c'mon of course Tolkien didn't create that :P). When Siegfried spares one's life in exchange for a magic cap before the guy gives him a tour of their mine where they have huge bejeweled crowns/etc. for the giants. The Nibelungs/dwarfs in the mythology were basically the original settlers of the land but in this movie I definitely got the impression that they mined out and created all the treasure seen rather than it just being what they hoarded over the years. It has some of my favorite effects ever too. Not that they're super realistic today, just the creativity for some things in it is really awesome. Like the Lord of the Rings books it was originally created as a single but ended up being split into two films!

I kind of assumed that in real life in the time periods from which typical western fantasy draws from if you were working in a mine all your life the combination of nutrition available and work would make one end up not super tall but pretty built with some engineering know how while still being uneducated in the traditional sense just to be able to be alive. Fantasy dwarfs are of course a massive exaggeration of that notion but surely circumstances like that had an effect on how we look at fantasy "races" now.

Anyways Die Nibelungen is like 1000000000x the movie Warcraft will be so check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TnXruo9FlQ

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just go watch some videos with trolls and goblins, it's much more focused racism and stereotyping than orcs.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

Just go watch some videos with trolls and goblins, it's much more focused racism and stereotyping than orcs.
I'm Jewish and my favorite WoW character is a Goblin. Does that make me self-loathing? :smith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alhazred posted:

he did make them jews, tho.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Goblins seemed more like Jersey/Boston/New York bros than Jewish stereotypes to me. Maybe it's because I never spent a lot of time around them in WoW and my main exposure comes from Gazlowe in Heroes of the Storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Tauren are a bland generalization of Native American cultures and the Kalu'ak takes it one step further by being an offensively dated portrayal of the Inuit.

The movie is going to be bad, hopefully they at least make it entertainingly bad like Street Fighter was.

• Locked thread