Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

he's also a job creator cause now people have to fix that bridge

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Aramoro posted:

This is the one he was on mostly

That is pretty osha.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was probably a red headed mouse spider:

Mouse spiders look really similar to funnel web spiders, certainly close enough for people to go "Nope, ain't going anywhere near that fucker, goodbye!" Their venom is pretty darned toxic but there's no record of their bite ever causing a fatality in Australia.

That's a very pretty spider.

Remember, you are infinitely more likely to be bitten by a spider if you're trying to kill it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Aramoro posted:

I love that there are libertarians see things like this and think "I want to live like that".

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Aramoro posted:

I always think of this movie when I see these things. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GcUNBwjvcU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Angela Christine posted:

I love that there are libertarians see things like this and think "I want to live like that".

"Principality of Sealand"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

http://www.musclecarszone.com/heres-how-not-to-load-a-huge-stone-in-the-truck-just-in-a-case-you-need-to-know/

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
should've put some soil or gravel or anything really on the bottom of the bed first, they both should know better

they might not have had any at the time though too

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

I always think of this movie when I see these things. :)

Apparently they thought it was hilarious to screen the Poseidon Adventure in the cinema the day before the boat came sometimes.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Apparently they thought it was hilarious to screen the Poseidon Adventure in the cinema the day before the boat came sometimes.

To be fair, any screening of The Poseidon Adventure is hilarious.

The Poseidon Adventure Is Still One of the Most Insane Disaster Movies Ever Made

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I remember reading about that when it happened. That bridge had to be removed and replaced, it was not repairable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Whole gallery of these here.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ncKFR

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Following the philosophy of one Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg, I see.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
why do you think roads need repairs so often? if they made the roads perfect the first time they would be out of work!

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Saw some OSHA yesterday.

I was watching a crew put together a modular home. They had craned in the two first floor sections, and were working on craning in the first of the two second floor sections.

While workers were still bolting the two first floor pieces together. Inside the structure.

A potential customer was on-site to see how construction went. He was walking around inside the first floor of the building while they craned in the other second floor section.

Without a hardhat.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Depending on how big the thing over him was, even a hardhat wouldn't make that much of a difference. :v:

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Colossal has an Oscar-winning documentary from 1958 on their site, and it's a really awesome 10-minute watch in addition to being a bit of a treasure trove of OSHA moments, such as this one:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Colossal has an Oscar-winning documentary from 1958 on their site, and it's a really awesome 10-minute watch in addition to being a bit of a treasure trove of OSHA moments, such as this one:

DAT GLASS :allears:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks for posting this. Magical.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

EKDS5k posted:

I walk under boom lifts all the time, if something is safe enough to be in while it's raised, it's safe enough to walk under. They all have holding valves that prevent the hydraulics from falling even if all pressure is lost. He still shouldn't have been drilling/working while she was there, though.

Last Saturday a flatbed truck hauling a boom lift hit a bridge because the driver loaded it incorrectly: he had the boom extended way up such that he managed to hit a 15' bridge doing 125km/h. I heard second hand that two of the final drive gears exploded, and that the counterweight (a piece of steel weighing over 2 tons) fell off and skidded 300' to a stop on the highway. No one was injured but Jesus, I bet that made a noise.

Also one of the drivers from my company took a video as he drove by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoG3YR8MTxw

Took me a few double-takes to recognize the Grand Villa, drat that would've been a sight to see. Wish everybody had dash cams like in Russia for things like this.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

This was a really good find, thanks.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

why do you think roads need repairs so often? if they made the roads perfect the first time they would be out of work!

That's why we have cancer, if we didn't doctors would be out of work

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
edit: ^^^ :tinfoil: ^^^

At first I wasn't sure I wanted to watch this, but I'm glad I did.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Airborne Viking posted:

edit: ^^^ :tinfoil: ^^^

At first I wasn't sure I wanted to watch this, but I'm glad I did.

I just finished watching it and thought the same exact thing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

On the :bandwagon:

Loved it.

:toot:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why was Clark Kent making a dildo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was probably a red headed mouse spider:

Mouse spiders look really similar to funnel web spiders, certainly close enough for people to go "Nope, ain't going anywhere near that fucker, goodbye!" Their venom is pretty darned toxic but there's no record of their bite ever causing a fatality in Australia.

Tell you the truth, putting this on your electrical box sounds like a sweet way to get free electricity.

Can I order like a box of these on amazon?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Hyperlynx posted:

I thought the risk was the person in the lift accidentally dropping something from height, not the lift falling.

zedprime posted:

I like those odds better than a crane, but its still line of fire of a suspended load. Not having stats of boom lift incidents I don't doubt it could be matter of one size fits all where entering the line of fire is a write up, but its also usually not a huge deal to go around and as mentioned, overhead work is overhead work and you shouldn't be under the basket at the very least.

Like I said, the guy shouldn't have been drilling while the lady was walking underneath. He could have dropped the drill, or a piece could have broken off and fallen on her, or whatever. But as for the lift itself, if it's safe enough to raise a person 45-185* feet into the air, it's safe to walk under, it's not considered a suspended load. Go to any equipment rental yard and you'll see rows of elevated boom lifts, and people going back and forth underneath them.

*JLG no poo poo makes a boom lift that goes 185' above the ground. The 1850 SJ. For when you need to go 19 stories on a stick. I've never even seen one, they probably only make a handful of them every year.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

This rules everyone should watch and I hope to one day be one tenth the badass enough to light a cig off a cooling glass jar

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think my favorite part was making the handles on mugs, how they just let the hot glass fall over and use a rod to gently guide it into making the right shape.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chitoryu12 posted:

I think my favorite part was making the handles on mugs, how they just let the hot glass fall over and use a rod to gently guide it into making the right shape.

Sucks to be the guy blowing the 5 gallon jug tho

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

EKDS5k posted:

JLG no poo poo makes a boom lift that goes 185' above the ground. The 1850 SJ. For when you need to go 19 stories on a stick. I've never even seen one, they probably only make a handful of them every year.

Terrifying!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gromit posted:

Terrifying!

oh god

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Tenzarin posted:

Tell you the truth, putting this on your electrical box sounds like a sweet way to get free electricity.

Can I order like a box of these on amazon?
You still get billed. They just estimate it instead. I.E. pull a number out of their rear end thats no doubt higher than it actually is.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

CollegeCop posted:

Saw some OSHA yesterday.

I was watching a crew put together a modular home. They had craned in the two first floor sections, and were working on craning in the first of the two second floor sections.

While workers were still bolting the two first floor pieces together. Inside the structure.

A potential customer was on-site to see how construction went. He was walking around inside the first floor of the building while they craned in the other second floor section.

Without a hardhat.

This suddenly makes me feel much better about my piece of poo poo apartment. Last week they installed a new air conditioning unit on the roof of the complex, and not only did we get prior notice about the construction, there was a mandatory evacuation of the building for the few hours they were using a giant fuckoff crane to move things. The property manager even came around to make sure people were out. It sucked having to be out of the house at 9am on a Saturday, but I had work at 10:30 anyway, and if there was a chance they might drop a crane on my bed, I'd rather not be in it. v:shobon:v

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Gromit posted:

Terrifying!

Looks like it should be tipping over

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gromit posted:

Terrifying!

NOPE

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Gromit posted:

Terrifying!

this is why i am perfectly fine working on the ground/underground cause gently caress heights

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Lurking Haro posted:

So it's safe as long as you don't fall off, right?

That's the trick. Same as roofing, you don't get hurt if you don't fall off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

calvus posted:

Looks like it should be tipping over

JLG posted:

Machine Weight 60300 lb / 27351.62 kg

that sucker ain't goin nowhere