Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

sidviscous posted:

And on a less physical note, have you had a job offer and then seriously had to think "poo poo, I'd better tell my employer about my genital configuration, just in case they freak out and fire me after I've moved halfway around the world". Do you seriously think "poo poo, there's large sections of the world where my existence is literally criminalised and I can't visit". Do you get very nervous when you have to use public toilets - even if you live in a state that protects your rights to use them?

Having people who are in this situation tell you that you're being an rear end in a top hat does not constitute oppression.

i like how you are using "existence" the same way the zionist government of Israel does when they defend their right to exist

very clever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Commie NedFlanders, it sounds to me like you're arguing that your right to not get yelled at is as important, if not more important, than transpeople's right to live without fear. Am I off-base?

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i like how you are using "existence" the same way the zionist government of Israel does when they defend their right to exist

very clever

Remember that time when a bunch of transpeople got together and bulldozed a cis neighborhood?

Me neither

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
It's very convenient that you're ignoring my post.

Your points are bad. You're reacting to a counter reaction. You cannot pin the "blame" solely on one side when the other side has acted worse this entire thread. It's disingenuous at best. You're wagging your finger at us for "being mean" while other people have use derogatory and inflammatory language.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

very clever

You mean how being transgendered is literally illegal in a number of countries around the world? Please. Go ahead, tell me your preferred choice of wording for this.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

i may disagree with some aspects of gender politics but i do agree with the basic idea that people should treat each other with respect and dignity and unfortunately the kind of behaviors demonstrated in this thread have become the public image of the movement in the minds of people who are unfamiliar with it.

as someone who wants to reduce bullying and harassment, it pains me to see this because you guys are making the politics of tolerance absolutely intolerable

The point Atasnaya Vaflja and I are making is that anyone who views the public face of tolerance as aggressive, belligerent, and hateful already held that opinion before entering a thread like this. The basis of the whole conversation is "Some people would like to referred to as X - it's no great sacrifice on my part to refer to them as X". When someone responds "No, you're not worthy of that", the mood of the conversation has already been decided. You can't enter a conversation and tell someone they're not worthy of respect and then ask where the civility in public discourse went. Civility is reserved for those that engage in good faith. A few pissed-off trans advocates in this thread aren't changing anyone's mind.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Pththya-lyi posted:

Commie NedFlanders, it sounds to me like you're arguing that your right to not get yelled at is as important, if not more important, than transpeople's right to live without fear. Am I off-base?

Remember that time when a bunch of transpeople got together and bulldozed a cis neighborhood?

Me neither

I'm simply saying you gotta give respect to get respect.

if you want a movement to overcome selfishness and champion the cause of treating other people decently, perhaps you should demonstrate it

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

sidviscous posted:

You mean how being transgendered is literally illegal in a number of countries around the world? Please. Go ahead, tell me your preferred choice of wording for this.

"transitioning from one gender to another" is a far more honest and accurate description of what is deemed illegal in those countries than is the term "existing"

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Deified Data posted:

The point Atasnaya Vaflja and I are making is that anyone who views the public face of tolerance as aggressive, belligerent, and hateful already held that opinion before entering a thread like this.

pure speculative prejudice. you have no way of knowing what everyone thinks, and your assumption that you do is rather condescending.

quote:

The basis of the whole conversation is "Some people would like to referred to as X - it's no great sacrifice on my part to refer to them as X". When someone responds "No, you're not worthy of that", the mood of the conversation has already been decided.

i did a search couldn't find anyone who said "no, you're not worthy of that". please help me find it or just stop being so disingenuous and try arguing in good faith.

quote:

You can't enter a conversation and tell someone they're not worthy of respect and then ask where the civility in public discourse went. Civility is reserved for those that engage in good faith. A few pissed-off trans advocates in this thread aren't changing anyone's mind.

you have no place to assume the mind state of everyone in this thread, you could just ask people, but you insist on misquoting people which is very disrespectful

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

This seems to be one of those weird English language things that seem just bizarre for persons like me who natively speak a language without any gendered pronouns.
Their personal penis gender is irrelevant in most conversations and if it's particularly important, you can use words like Woman or Queer as additional descriptions.
This includes everyone. Even vanilla* men/women can be they.

*That's my personal identity, because I consider Cis a silly term, respect my vanillaness.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

you have no way of knowing what everyone thinks

you have no place to assume the mind state of everyone in this thread

Then how do you know that all the "pro-trans" folks hate all the "anti-trans" folks? You didn't read their minds, you read the words they typed in the thread and used that evidence to reach a conclusion about how they must feel in their heart of hearts! Why can't we do the same to you?

FWIW, I don't hate you, I just wish you would change your ways very slightly. :shobon:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Who What Now posted:

Then why are you arguing so hard that making a slightly different sound with your mouth is some sort of impossible burden?

So I take it that you won't be asking a genderqueer person, then? No, of course not, why actually try and understand something and possibly lose one of the last things your allowed to poo poo on and hate and not feel bad about it? Gotta have someone beneath you to feel good about yourself, after all.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I've never known or met anyone who is trangender or genderfluid IRL who uses anything besides he/she/they or who doesn't also think it's retarded.

I await the inevitable retort that I must not have spent time around more than a handful of trans or fluid folk. :allears:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This may have been covered in various pages,, but here's my take:

- "They" comes across as a tad impersonal in some ways, which may have driven the search for a Bonus Pronoun.
- The use of xir etc, relatedly, at present places a particular emphasis on "I wish to not be a shithead and acknowledge the uncomfortable position of those few people who like the novel third-person pronoun". There are probably horrid ways of putting this that involve words like "special snowflake" or more contemptuous ones.

I have no particular opinion on the topic of introducing a new third-person singular into the language to replace the very impromptu singular-they, although I'd be quite willing to politely use one if requested.

I do have strong feelings about the need for a second-person plural, but "y'all" clearly fills that niche. :colbert:

This Is A Good Post.

I can see the dehumanizing perspective on "them" because we're so used to it being used as a collective plural pronoun, but like I said I like the singular "them" because it brings back a totally ignored and legit gender-neutral pronoun to English. Tons of other languages have common neutral singular pronouns after all.

I agree with using "ya'll" though as I'm originally from the South. For fun, sometimes I'd troll New Yorkers when I lived there with it. I'd tell them not to say "you guys" because it was patriarchal, whereas "ya'll" was gender-inclusive. I can confirm that heads metaphorically exploded after hearing that.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

DeusExMachinima posted:

I await the inevitable retort that I must not have spent time around more than a handful of trans or fluid folk. :allears:

This Is A Good Post.

I can see the dehumanizing perspective on "them" because we're so used to it being used as a collective plural pronoun, but like I said I like the singular "them" because it brings back a totally ignored and legit gender-neutral pronoun to English. Tons of other languages have common neutral singular pronouns after all.

I agree with using "ya'll" though as I'm originally from the South. For fun, sometimes I'd troll New Yorkers when I lived there with it. I'd tell them not to say "you guys" because it was patriarchal, whereas "ya'll" was gender-inclusive. I can confirm that heads metaphorically exploded after hearing that.

lol bless your heart

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So I think it goes without saying that all human beings deserve respect by default, they have dignity by default, and that human life is a precious, maybe the most precious thing in the universe. But whether or not using a pronoun that you have chosen for yourself constitutes disrespect is a little doubtful. Others could choose to do it because you don't want to offend them, but you don't have a right not to be offended, you have a right to be treated with respect. A good boundary line between the two, I feel, is respect is something everyone could sympathize with in the same position, with honesty. From my view, if you're asking someone to address you as a certain pronoun, and you don't match what that pronoun looks like, or you've invented an entirely new pronoun, you are absolutely being disrespectful yourself by making that demand, that goes beyond what you should be able to ask. Because you're not asking to be treated with respect, you're asking others to indulge you. It is then socially acceptable for them to refuse to do that. So if you don't (reasonably) present like a woman, yet you ask to be addressed as one, you are out of line, period. If you ask to be referred to as 'xir' or whatever, let's be frank, that's not a pronoun in circulation, so what you're asking is not something that could be seen as socially acceptable.

And I think this comes back to the original topic of the thread - gender entitlement versus religious entitlement. Entitlements are not granted on the basis of offense, there is a kind of 'logic' behind them that has to be satisfied, first, before your offense can actually be taken seriously. So if you're offended at doing your job, because part of your job means serving people who you don't like because of religious reasons, well tough poo poo, stop being a massive cry-baby. If you're asking people to conform to your self-summoned pronouns, because that makes you feel special, well too bad, the world doesn't revolve around you. But if you're someone who feels gender dysphoric, puts a lot of effort into expressing that and genuinely looks a lot like the the gender you're aiming for, well I think you've done everything you reasonable could, so you are entitled to be addressed in the way you want.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

lol bless your heart

haha

ha

:smugissar:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

rudatron posted:

So I think it goes without saying that all human beings deserve respect by default, they have dignity by default, and that human life is a precious, maybe the most precious thing in the universe. But whether or not using a pronoun that you have chosen for yourself constitutes disrespect is a little doubtful. Others could choose to do it because you don't want to offend them, but you don't have a right not to be offended, you have a right to be treated with respect. A good boundary line between the two, I feel, is respect is something everyone could sympathize with in the same position, with honesty. From my view, if you're asking someone to address you as a certain pronoun, and you don't match what that pronoun looks like, or you've invented an entirely new pronoun, you are absolutely being disrespectful yourself by making that demand, that goes beyond what you should be able to ask. Because you're not asking to be treated with respect, you're asking others to indulge you. It is then socially acceptable for them to refuse to do that. So if you don't (reasonably) present like a woman, yet you ask to be addressed as one, you are out of line, period. If you ask to be referred to as 'xir' or whatever, let's be frank, that's not a pronoun in circulation, so what you're asking is not something that could be seen as socially acceptable.

And I think this comes back to the original topic of the thread - gender entitlement versus religious entitlement. Entitlements are not granted on the basis of offense, there is a kind of 'logic' behind them that has to be satisfied, first, before your offense can actually be taken seriously. So if you're offended at doing your job, because part of your job means serving people who you don't like because of religious reasons, well tough poo poo, stop being a massive cry-baby. If you're asking people to conform to your self-summoned pronouns, because that makes you feel special, well too bad, the world doesn't revolve around you. But if you're someone who feels gender dysphoric, puts a lot of effort into expressing that and genuinely looks a lot like the the gender you're aiming for, well I think you've done everything you reasonable could, so you are entitled to be addressed in the way you want.

A good post lynch the oppressor!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

This is, like every single post on the subject disagreeing with basic human decency, just babble attempting to deflect people from the core belief; that there are certain identities that are authentic and certain ones that are not, and authentic people deserve respect and inauthentic people deserve contempt.

This is in turn wrapped up with deification, of linguistics terminology or the notion of "society." Well, I say that Isis, Amaterasu, and Usha came down from the heavens and told me that all these identities are authentic and no one who denies them will have any peace in the next life. And this is entirely as meaningful and authoritative as whining about closed classes or jabbering about how authenticity requires conformity.

Finally, I declare you and all your puling cohort to be inauthentic, plastic people who deserve only the bare minimum of fair treatment.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Effectronica posted:

This is, like every single post on the subject disagreeing with basic human decency, just babble attempting to deflect people from the core belief; that there are certain identities that are authentic and certain ones that are not, and authentic people deserve respect and inauthentic people deserve contempt.
Honest question: in what way is someone identifying as 'xe' any different from someone identifying as dragonkin, in your eyes? Is the latter illegitimate or inauthentic? Why or why not?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nobody itt even knows what "xe" is, but they do know that it is extremely serious and if you think it's dumb then you are a hate machine.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

This is, like every single post on the subject disagreeing with basic human decency,
Maybe you should define what you think basic human decency entails, generally.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Are you ready for the twist? There's no such thing as an authentic identity, gender or otherwise. It's an assumption TERFS, traditionalist-transphobes, and you, seem to make, you just differ on its limits. For traditionalists, it's biotruths. For terfs, it's early experience, which means that transwomen are secretly men (and therefore predatory, like all men). For you it's everyone is valid because only they can say what they feel. What if that's not the case, what if there is no 'center', no seed, no essence? What if 'woman' is just a set of stereotypes and relations in your mind, ala Jungian archetypes, that you either match or don't? From that perspective, what you are is what you are seen as, not what you feel. That's my position. I'm not really deifying anything, I'm just being very practical, following from that assumption. People want both conformity, for safety, but also the chance to challenge, because that's how you self-express. So you need both, to make people happy, you can't ignore one at the expense of the other.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e - wrong thread

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

"transitioning from one gender to another" is a far more honest and accurate description of what is deemed illegal in those countries than is the term "existing"

Thankyou for that irrelevant semantic point that makes no difference at all to the status of transgendered people. Yes, you can be trans as long as nobody ever finds out about it. That has nothing to do at all with legislating against the existence of transgendered people.

I'll take your focus on this as agreement with my substantive point - that having someone in this position tell you you're an rear end in a top hat does not constitute oppression.

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 24, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

sidviscous posted:

I'll take your focus on this as agreement with my substantive point - that having someone in this position tell you you're an rear end in a top hat does not constitute oppression.

Does referring to someone with the pronoun "they" instead of "xe" constitute oppression?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

Are you ready for the twist? There's no such thing as an authentic identity, gender or otherwise. It's an assumption TERFS, traditionalist-transphobes, and you, seem to make, you just differ on its limits. For traditionalists, it's biotruths. For terfs, it's early experience, which means that transwomen are secretly men (and therefore predatory, like all men). For you it's everyone is valid because only they can say what they feel. What if that's not the case, what if there is no 'center', no seed, no essence? What if 'woman' is just a set of stereotypes and relations in your mind, ala Jungian archetypes, that you either match or don't? From that perspective, what you are is what you are seen as, not what you feel. That's my position. I'm not really deifying anything, I'm just being very practical, following from that assumption. People want both conformity, for safety, but also the chance to challenge, because that's how you self-express. So you need both, to make people happy, you can't ignore one at the expense of the other.

You pack the fewest ideas into the most words of anyone in this thread. All you've got is "conformity good" and "ur a transphobe".

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Self identity is a myth because there is no such thing as the self.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Kingfish posted:

Care to put this to the test, O avatar of GBS and the GBS mentality? Transmit a thought to my mind, since there is no subjectivity, and thus you will be justified.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

You pack the fewest ideas into the most words of anyone in this thread. All you've got is "conformity good" and "ur a transphobe".
Get this: conformity is good.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

the trump tutelage posted:

Get this: conformity is good.

I'm deeply appreciative of your desire to exterminate gays with our nonconforming sexuality, and of the necessity of converting you to the Gay Agenda. I could use a new toaster.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't have any problem with trans people. Throughout I've been consistent with my answer to the OP's question. I wouldn't wear religious garb or eat halal to placate the sensibility of religious people. I similarity respect but don't share the view of gender non-binary people have.

We are in D&D and this is like saying "I similarly respect but don't share the view of the economic non-rational actor model"

Frosted Flake posted:

Using a common English word versus a made up word is not bigotry. I respectfully disagree with a certain conception of gender, privately. Ultimately people can do whatever they want and I don't want to get in the way. What I think has no bearing on their lives, and as long as I'm polite and tolerant it won't.

Here you are disagreeing with it publicly on a forum

Cis identities are taught to individuals by society, not the other way around

It's strange that trans ethics seem grounded in respecting and tolerating that other people have different views, yet all I ever see is a constant stream of vitriol and brutal name calling and accusing people of being full of hatred because they hold relatively traditional views on gender.

Calling people "stupid loving hate filled bigots who are so condescending and wrong" because they disagree with your gender politics seems rather abusive and oppressive.

You catch more flies with honey, my friends

This is straight-up "because we hold relatively traditional views on marriage" back when there was still anti-miscegenation going on. It's 2016, wake up grandpa! Anyone can be whatever, no rules! Also, don't use quotation marks when you're not using anyone's words.

You catch more flies with honey that isn't dripping with smugness

Also, when does anyone refer to the person they're talking to, in the third person? Here's a wild idea: calling people by their name.

In your mind, did you assume that I'm a wealthy white male? lol

good job proving your point bud

Same here. I'm merely well-to-do and have negative wealth but my student debt is easy to manage because I had few distractions from my day-to-day studies in a STEM field :smug:

However, I do think it is disingenuous to equate someone's hypothetical yet confounding need to refer to someone within earshot using a disputed third-person pronoun, as them not wanting to respect or let the person be their gender role except as I type it out it does feel like that's the reason they don't want to consider them their gender actually. Why are xou worried axout xomeone axing for an unexpexted name, Xed? What would feel xeird axout it?

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 24, 2016

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

I'm deeply appreciative of your desire to exterminate gays with our nonconforming sexuality, and of the necessity of converting you to the Gay Agenda. I could use a new toaster.
I don't want to exterminate gays with nonconforming sexualities, though. You are, as with so many other things, completely mistaken.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

pure speculative prejudice. you have no way of knowing what everyone thinks, and your assumption that you do is rather condescending.

i did a search couldn't find anyone who said "no, you're not worthy of that". please help me find it or just stop being so disingenuous and try arguing in good faith.

you have no place to assume the mind state of everyone in this thread, you could just ask people, but you insist on misquoting people which is very disrespectful

Oh lol and right after I post about how you shouldn't use quotation marks unless you're using someone else's words, I continue catching up to see xou chiding xomeone for the xame xing!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I don't want to exterminate gays with nonconforming sexualities, though. You are, as with so many other things, completely mistaken.

But you just said that conformity was good. Were you making a totally irrelevant comment, or are you willing to admit that nonconformity is OK? Not that this will stop me from getting my free toaster, breeder.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

But you just said that conformity was good. Were you making a totally irrelevant comment, or are you willing to admit that nonconformity is OK? Not that this will stop me from getting my free toaster, breeder.
Nonconformity is okay (permissible), and conformity is good (moral).

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

So the immorality of my existence as a dicksucking homo is "permissible". Thanks pal. Mind elaborating?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

:yikes:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

How come conformity is moral? I think it is immoral because it makes us vulnerable as a society whereas variety makes us robust.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 24, 2016

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

So the immorality of my existence as a dicksucking homo is "permissible". Thanks pal. Mind elaborating?
Not everything is about you and your sexual proclivities, Effectronica :(

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Effectronica posted:

Care to put this to the test, O avatar of GBS and the GBS mentality? Transmit a thought to my mind, since there is no subjectivity, and thus you will be justified.

You've addled your brain from smoking too much tronic.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

Earlier in this very thread you claimed that there's a difference in how people self identify though. It's sort of like saying there's a difference between the Washington Bigfoot and the Virginia Bigfoot, but then shrugging and saying neither of them exist so it doesn't matter.

If you're not actually willing to discuss the topic, why do you continue posting at all? All you do is take petty potshots and bandy about transphobic rhetoric without even having the gall to defend it.

e:

The Kingfish posted:

Does referring to someone with the pronoun "they" instead of "xe" constitute oppression?

The Kingfish posted:

I'm not here educate you. Why don't you make a fricken effort post if you wanna debate and discuss?

les enfants Terrific! fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Earlier in this very thread you claimed that there's a difference in how people self identify though. It's sort of like saying there's a difference between the Washington Bigfoot and the Virginia Bigfoot, but then shrugging and saying neither of them exist so it doesn't matter.

If you're not actually willing to discuss the topic, why do you continue posting at all? All you do is take petty potshots and bandy about transphobic rhetoric without even having the gall to defend it.

e:

I said there was a difference in the way that people perceive their identities and the way that they perform their identities.

• Locked thread