Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

This.
Also gently caress US F1 coverage, commercials during a race are poo poo.
Would you rather have commentators that suck? Everything is a trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Would you rather have commentators that suck? Everything is a trade off.

I like sky's coverage tbqh. :shrug:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Gonna be funny when all those people who jumped ship for C4 and DC's sacks of money have to go crawling back to sky or lose out on their free meal ticket.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Norns posted:

So stupid. It's free advertising.
No no no, you're missing the point. You're supposed to pay FOM to advertise!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

This.
Also gently caress US F1 coverage, commercials during a race are poo poo.

I've gotten to the point where even if I could watch a race live on NBC I'll still choose to wait a few hours to download the Sky broadcast if I can because the commercials detract so much from watching the race. Also Sky's coverage is way better than the US one as well.

e: Is Channel 4 going to do the free live stream of the race thing for their broadcasts like BBC did?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Payndz posted:

No no no, you're missing the point. You're supposed to pay FOM to advertise!

I'd gladly give them money if they wanted to put out a F1 game that wasn't half baked garbage! I really hope 2016 is good...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

dreesemonkey posted:

I would happily pay $100 annually or something to have access to commercial-free live streamed practice/qualifying/races and archived previous seasons, etc.

So would I...that would be a total bargain!.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
It's been said before but the MotoGP/WSBK model is spot on. A nice feature is the option to buy single screen coverage at a lower price. F1 could more or less directly model a streaming service based on MotoGP and it would be amazing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

George Zimmer posted:

It's been said before but the MotoGP/WSBK model is spot on. A nice feature is the option to buy single screen coverage at a lower price. F1 could more or less directly model a streaming service based on MotoGP and it would be amazing.

Yea I just looked it up and that seems about perfect.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-forced-to-keep-elimination-qualifying-for-bahrain-gp-682069/

:smithicide:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Lmao. Who asides from Horner wanted to keep that poo poo qualifying format?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Autosport calls them out

quote:

There were those, however, such as Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley, Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery and Williams technical chief Pat Symonds who suggested the knockout format should not be so quickly abandoned.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
F1 is such a shitshow. Does someone have a chart for all the governing bodies that make decisions in this sport, I honestly am totally lost.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

loving WHY? Wow :lol:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Whoever said earlier in the thread that they really should've trial ran this concept in GP2 or GP3 first was right. This just a complete embarrassment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Goetta posted:

e: Is Channel 4 going to do the free live stream of the race thing for their broadcasts like BBC did?

Yes, C4 won't be showing adverts during the race unless there's a red flag.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I get the idea of giving this new quali a second chance but F1 isn't exactly a noble sport. It really is a terrible format though, even when it "worked" in Q1 I'm sure that was because of reasons beside the format.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

For what it's worth, Force India and Williams wanted to keep the poo poo format in Q1 and Q2 but bring Q3 back to the original format.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

F1 is such a shitshow. Does someone have a chart for all the governing bodies that make decisions in this sport, I honestly am totally lost.

That's kind of easy.

Its all the Team Principals + Bernie and Todt

BUT just put a big Cross through it as Ferrari can veto anything - and all the good decisions they do veto while they allow they really loving stupid stuff to exist.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone's playing political games here, it's been made perfectly clear to the press that this was Bernie and Todt's baby, and we have also been told that it's Todt who refused to allow them to abandon it entirely and vote on this different version instead. Bernie started backing away from it and agreeing that it was bad 10 seconds after qualifying was over, so now if it's poo poo next race who is it on?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I want to love NBCSN. They have so many goddamn commercials, oh my god.

i'm pretty sure the number/duration of ad breaks has somehow increased since the speed days, and even since NBC first got rights. they used to be somewhat bearable, a decent trade-off for far superior commentary, but they're too intrusive these days. plus live extra tends to poo poo the bed whenever it tries to go to commercial.

the truth is probably that FOM has studied a paid streaming option and determined it would still lose them money vs their current TV rights model. that will probably change in the future, but who knows when.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gary Brabham has been found guilty of raping a six-year-old girl in Australia.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Wtf is up with Brits and raping little kids dear god

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Is this revenge for that Mexico thing?

In case of seriouspost, he's not British.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Sure he is.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dynamite Dog posted:

Remember when Toto said that the decision to go to old qualifying would be a quick vote and they would push it through before Bahrain?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123446/elimination-qualifying-to-stay-for-bahrain

Don't worry mr dog, I read your post at least

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Norns posted:

loving WHY? Wow :lol:

People like force india and williams would rather luck into a good qualifying position at some point this year than have a sport people enjoy watching. When you are that far down the field one lucky result per year can change a team, just ask J.Bianchi. They are the same people lobbying for reverse grids and weight penalties. Even the result in AUS not being mixed at all didnt put them off, they are that desperate.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Americans watching live races on NBC or CNBC or NBC Sports Network: when it cuts to a commercial switch over to Univision (Or sometimes Unimas) for 3 minutes and then switch back. Sure it's in Spanish, but at least it's the race, live. Univision doesn't do commercials during the race. This isn't a solution if you DVR the race since you'd have to sync up 2 recordings and that's probably not possible.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That's what I've been doing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Americans watching live races on NBC or CNBC or NBC Sports Network: when it cuts to a commercial switch over to Univision (Or sometimes Unimas) for 3 minutes and then switch back. Sure it's in Spanish, but at least it's the race, live. Univision doesn't do commercials during the race. This isn't a solution if you DVR the race since you'd have to sync up 2 recordings and that's probably not possible.

sometimes my mom watches the entire race on univision and texts me spanish nonsense about kimi (she does not speak spanish)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

be nice wicka posted:

sometimes my mom watches the entire race on univision and texts me spanish nonsense about kimi (she does not speak spanish)

lol your mom is cool

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

As far as I understand it, terrestrial TV will likely still have highlights packages (and to be fair, for people like me who rarely get to watch the race live owing to family stuff, the more exciting race highlights do away with the fluff and concentrate more on the race), who will have it by then is anyone's guess - I imagine we'll find out in a few years time.

I'm still getting the F1 channel through the HD deal they did at the start, the moment we lose that, I'm hosed. I'll be buggered if I'm forking up another ~£25 or so per month for the sake of 1-2 races in that time frame. Get real Bernie you loving goblin.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

GutBomb posted:

The NBC Sports Live Extra app had PIP race alongside the ads. Did the TV feed not do that?

Edit: Also, it's not widely known to those in the US, but if you have a way to stream, PlayStation Vue has NBC Sports in their most basic package for (I think) $30/mo. Considerably cheaper than a cable package. It just recently became available nationwide.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 24, 2016

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

sleepwalkers posted:

The NBC Sports Live Extra app had PIP race alongside the ads. Did the TV feed not do that?

Edit: Also, it's not widely known to those in the US, but if you have a way to stream, PlayStation Vue has NBC Sports in their most basic package for (I think) $30/mo. Considerably cheaper than a cable package. It just recently became available nationwide.

NBCSN has PIP during ads live, but not on replays. Count me in as preferring the NBCSN commentator dream team.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

NBCSN has PIP during ads live, but not on replays. Count me in as preferring the NBCSN commentator dream team.

Ah, okay. I wonder if the PS Vue DVR would have the PIP race or ads? It supposedly streams an on-demand recording of the channel from that time. Anyone in The Worst Thread™ happen to watch this way?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

How is Univision getting away with no ads during the race?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Count me in as preferring the NBCSN commentator dream team.
If they had Bruno it would be dream

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

lol your mom is cool

TIL wickas mom is Cool and Good

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If they had Bruno it would be dream

Seriously. I hate that we don't get Bruno, I just want to watch him troll the paddock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

TIL wickas mom is Cool and Good

it skips a generation

• Locked thread