Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Strategic Tea posted:

I just wish there was any way at all to identify the correct generator. I mean when it's the fuel pump generator and the base only has say defence and operations generators or whatever. I blow them both up, nothing happens, spend ten minutes looking for a hidden third one or whatever. Then I either give up or get killed by a turret. I want to like it but it's terribly designed.

I've had those too. On my standard target, it turns out the “fuel pump generator” didn't even look like a regular generator — just some exceptionally large piping that looked more like it was a part of the actual pump. So the trick was to spot the pump itself. Could be that it's just a poorly copy-pasted mission description (but then, they almost all are) and that the word generator shouldn't be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Has anyone tried using the mine launcher on a planet yet? I was thinking about giving it a go, maybe it would work like a bombing run. I'm just a little worried the front/high mounts might lead to you just bombing yourself thanks to gravity, though.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Plek posted:

I'm just a little worried the front/high mounts might lead to you just bombing yourself thanks to gravity, though.

So, win/win?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
All the talk about Earth like worlds and whatnot made me hope to find something and tonight a system with a water world and a beautiful ringed ammonia world:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

For the past 3 weeks or so I've been flying an Anaconda, doing a bit of exploring, bulk trading, and some other stuff. I decided to grind a bit of Empire rep so I bought a Courier to take to HIP 10716, and holy hell I forgot how much better flying quick and agile little ship feels.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
VR update is out! Good news for all you lucky Rift users!

2.0.7 patch notes

Enhanced VR support
- Added support for Oculus 1.3 SDK
- Added new VR specific graphics presets (VR Low and VR High)
- Added Hangar main menu background when HMD is present
- Added VR experience demo as a scenario in the tutorials menu
- Added option for SRV to maintain level horizon if player finds motion uncomfortable​ - Please note: This will not be on by default, users will need to select this option to activate it
- Added option for SRV blackout when rolling if player finds motion uncomfortable - Please note: This will not be on by default, users will need to select this option to activate it
- Adjusted VR and panel positions in the SRV
- Improved UI mesh tessellation for rendering the front-end on VR
- Preflight checklist can be completed with just a controller
- Updated various warnings when using Head Mounted Displays
- Crash fix when entering open play with HMD active
- Crash fix when entering CQC with HMD active

Other changes / fixes
- Community Goal top contributor news reports have returned, featuring Commanders from all platforms
- First Discovery tags from Xbox Commanders now display on PC/Mac
- Wanted Xbox commanders can now appear in top 5 bounty local news reports
- Fix a crash in system simulation for "Sidgoe LX-S c17-0"
- Fix for purchased exploration data not always giving details on all bodies in that star system
- Fix for First Discovery names from Wings appearing too many times
- Fix for refuelling 10% button

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

BMan posted:

Good news! The blast radius is ludicrously huge!

HUUUUUGE. If you're not roleplaying an attack helicopter with dumbfire missiles and multicannons for skimmers, you're doing base strikes wrong

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
New VR menu screen is kind of neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9A2p031ks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bloody Wanker posted:

- Fix for refuelling 10% button

saving the best for last I see

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TomR posted:

New VR menu screen is kind of neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9A2p031ks

VR patch is groovy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtRgMvpBu8

Going to play with it more this week, and find you Frogs!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

peter gabriel posted:

VR patch is groovy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtRgMvpBu8

Going to play with it more this week, and find you Frogs!

Man, I can't wait to fly through space in my Cobra in VR next week.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hamelekim posted:

Man, I can't wait to fly through space in my Cobra in VR next week.

It is eeeeeeasily the best times in a space game I have ever had, personal taste and all that but it's true

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

peter gabriel posted:

It is eeeeeeasily the best times in a space game I have ever had, personal taste and all that but it's true

I'm about 50k away from being able to buy an explorer ship with a 30ly jump capability. Once I do that I am going on a tour of the galaxy to see the sights in VR. Should be fun.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
My helicopter has LASERS. :colbert:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

In Robigo news, abandoning slave missions now gives fines. This hinders the slave selling exploit... not at all. :frontear:

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

BMan posted:

In Robigo news, abandoning slave missions now gives fines. This hinders the slave selling exploit... not at all. :frontear:

In fact, it makes it better - now you can sit on your fines for a week and feed a tadpole 1 mil. :frontear:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

BMan posted:

Wait, you can still print money? I thought they fixed that rep gain thing?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Since I apparently haven't played the game since before 1.0 I started pretty much from zero.

I went directly to the imperial rank grind system Eryxias posted earlier, and it's been decent cash, and is easily doable. Unfortunately, since I'm mostly harmless a lot of the "performance review" missions are still locked out for me, so I've been doing some random bounty hunting in a neighbouring system to get that up now.

It's really funny, though. Both stations are owned by Nobles of HIP 10716, so I'm slowly racking up a bounty doing these. :v:

e: Also, I could find the station without the expensive exploration thing by going into "surface map" for the planet and clicking it there.

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 25, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does claiming bounties still up your reputation? I have friendly with Empire yet I actually haven't done a single mission for them. Also what exactly ups your combat rating? I've claimed over 2.5 million in bounties yet I'm still a novice, I need to up that rating if I wanna even start grinding Empire rank missions.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Man, I hope it doesn't take too long for someone to figure out how to get the Playstation VR working on PC, I really want to play this in VR but I don't even have any USB 3 ports on my PC. To use the Oculus or the Vive I'd need to get a new motherboard, CPU and probably RAM.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

Does claiming bounties still up your reputation? I have friendly with Empire yet I actually haven't done a single mission for them. Also what exactly ups your combat rating? I've claimed over 2.5 million in bounties yet I'm still a novice, I need to up that rating if I wanna even start grinding Empire rank missions.

Bounties help your general reputation with the controlling group, but will not help your Naval rank at all. Also, conflict zones don't help with your Naval rank. Despite the fact you are participating in a Naval battle, sided with the Navy, fighting tougher ships for less pay.

It's good to grab some bounties first so you can spike up your reputation to allied if it isn't already, for a better mission spread. "We'd let you take this dangerous mission that will put a bounty on you for even doing it that we will disavow all knowledge of, but sorry you're only friendly with us"

Combat rating also cares more about the rank on your targets than what they are flying. All those Deadly and Elite sidewinders you see flying around help your combat rating more than taking the time to take out a wanted Federal Corvette that's only "Mostly harmless" in a wing with it's "Competent" Python buddy.

Unrelated, while I really, REALLY doubt it is coming, my naive hope is that the "Improved missions" promised upcoming will offer more frequent legal combat missions.

I'm tired of getting nothing but flagrantly illegal stuff, or at best a "cancel their contract" which is a coinflip of if the target will be wanted or clean. "Okay time to raise my rank in the Federal Navy, what have you got for me?... A mission to murder federal Miners, a mission to murder Federal cops. To prove my loyalty to the Federation's saftey, of course."

No wonder people just look for donation farms, or give up and just go rack up bounties on planetside missions, or smuggling a gogo. Even if those were not the most efficient things, it's still loving bullshit trying to get consistent PvE Bboard work that won't put a bounty on you anyways that isn't "please be the Trader equivalent of Deadly to haul 103 tons of scrap metal for less than 1% naval rank gain", or asking you to go deliver a message 100+ LY away in your Vulture.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 25, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

Bounties help your general reputation with the controlling group, but will not help your Naval rank at all. Also, conflict zones don't help with your Naval rank. Despite the fact you are participating in a Naval battle, sided with the Navy, fighting tougher ships for less pay.

It's good to grab some bounties first so you can spike up your reputation to allied if it isn't already, for a better mission spread. "We'd let you take this dangerous mission that will put a bounty on you for even doing it that we will disavow all knowledge of, but sorry you're only friendly with us"

Combat rating also cares more about the rank on your targets than what they are flying. All those Deadly and Elite sidewinders you see flying around help your combat rating more than taking the time to take out a wanted Federal Corvette that's only "Mostly harmless" in a wing with it's "Competent" Python buddy.

Unrelated, while I really, REALLY doubt it is coming, my naive hope is that the "Improved missions" promised upcoming will offer more frequent legal combat missions.

I'm tired of getting nothing but flagrantly illegal stuff, or at best a "cancel their contract" which is a coinflip of if the target will be wanted or clean. "Okay time to raise my rank in the Federal Navy, what have you got for me?... A mission to murder federal Miners, a mission to murder Federal cops. To prove my loyalty to the Federation's saftey, of course."

No wonder people just look for donation farms, or give up and just go rack up bounties on planetside missions, or smuggling a gogo. Even if those were not the most efficient things, it's still loving bullshit trying to get consistent PvE Bboard work that won't put a bounty on you anyways that isn't "please be the Trader equivalent of Deadly to haul 103 tons of scrap metal for less than 1% naval rank gain", or asking you to go deliver a message 100+ LY away in your Vulture.

I haven't been bothering with navy stuff (conflict zones?), I've ONLY been going to a "hazardous" RES and snagging the highest $$ bounties. I get like 600k per run (though I barely break even because I'm dumping all that money into upgrading my new Cobra IV), I should've said I collected 2.5 million yesterday. I believe I was friendly with the Empire before I started up again, I am friendly with the parties within the system. I haven't checked the actual faction reputation but I have to go one step beyond friendly to "allied?" Do I have to be allied with the factions and the Empire?

Also thanks for the combat rating advice. I've been hunting bigger ships (since their bounty is generally higher, though I've seen a sidewinder with 150k bounty once :v:) so I was scratching my head at why I'm killing Imperial Clippers and Pythons and still considered a novice.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

I haven't been bothering with navy stuff, I've ONLY been going to a "hazardous" RES and snagging the highest $$ bounties. I get like 600k per run (though I barely break even because I'm dumping all that money into upgrading my new Cobra IV), I should've said I collected 2.5 million yesterday. I believe I was friendly with the Empire before I started up again, I am friendly with the parties within the system. I haven't checked the actual faction reputation but I have to go one step beyond friendly to "allied?" Do I have to be allied with the factions and the Empire?

If I remember right, you don't have to be Allied status unless you are looking to to Bboard thing. The main thing Friendly/Allied does is open up Bboard missions that go "You need to be at least Allied to take this mission." Which are generally stuff you'd figure you should be able to do in the first place, especially when they are asking you to go do illegal poo poo they don't want to take the blame for. "You can't go on this suicide mission to murder cops that will put a bounty on your head, unless you are our bestest buddy! Why? Because it pays slightly better-I mean, good reasons".

There is Reputation Decay anyways. I've already swiftly fallen back down to 78% Friendly with the Feds, despite having barely been gone after hitting 100% before I left.

Naval rank is permanent, at least. Once you hit 100% of your current naval rank, missions will start spawning talking about naval progression. They are generally identical to the usual variety of missions, except this time it will raise your Naval rank. Taking multiple Naval rank missions while they are offered doesn't help, on that note. We've all tried it :v:

I finally rounded myself out to Expert Combat rating after being near the end of 90%+ Competent for ages by just swinging by to the closest populated Anarchy system and going on a wild shooting spree on the constant supply of Dangerous-Elite adders and sidewinders.

EDIT: The main reason people give a poo poo about Naval Rank (Which conflict zones do NOT help with), is because various cool ships are gated behind having various Naval Ranks.

Every single ship with the word "Imperial" or "Federal" On it. (Except the Imperial Eagle, I think). There are plenty of nice ships without that though. The Vulture for example, is a lovely combat ship that needs no Naval ranks. I wanted the bigger internal space of the Federal Assault Ship, but I'd still be perfectly happy in a Vulture.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 25, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Bounties seem to give a pretty huge reputation boost, yeah. I turned in less than 1 mil worth of empire bounties and got 15-20% empire rep.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This VR patch is some voodoo.
It's liquid smooth all the time now, it is seriously impressive.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Here is a 5 minute video about a real thing that people are doing right now.

We have a pretty good map of where stuff is in your head. In fact, our own internal accelerometer's operation is pretty well understood.

I have a question for Occulus Rift users. Given that stimulating people's brains is already a thing we do, and we already know where the part of the brain that senses motion is, how much would you reckon people would pay for an accessory that stimulates your inner ear so when you pull a hard turn in your ship you feel fake g-forces?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think that depends on how willing you are to have really powerful electromagnets aimed at your head

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DreadLlama posted:

Here is a 5 minute video about a real thing that people are doing right now.

We have a pretty good map of where stuff is in your head. In fact, our own internal accelerometer's operation is pretty well understood.

I have a question for Occulus Rift users. Given that stimulating people's brains is already a thing we do, and we already know where the part of the brain that senses motion is, how much would you reckon people would pay for an accessory that stimulates your inner ear so when you pull a hard turn in your ship you feel fake g-forces?

As a flight sim enthusiast I would pay good money for something like that.

All you would need is a chair that constantly spins in one direction at a constant speed and input would change the acceleration of the chairs spinning and you would feel fake g force. You would get used to the constant spin after a minute or so and with VR over your eyes you actually would feel as if you were sitting still.

It's crazy to experience. In my flight school we messed around with a chair like that and just manipulating the movement of the chair makes you feel all sorts of crazy stuff that actually isn't happening.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Section Z posted:

The really funny part right now is that if you go the Robigo route, you get silly money and rack up Imperial rank really quickly. As usual, it seems like the higher the cash reward, the lower the reputation reward, but even if you go for max rep/minimum pay, the distances (and cargoes) involved still make for a hefty profit.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Phi230 posted:

As a flight sim enthusiast I would pay good money for something like that.

All you would need is a chair that constantly spins in one direction at a constant speed and input would change the acceleration of the chairs spinning and you would feel fake g force. You would get used to the constant spin after a minute or so and with VR over your eyes you actually would feel as if you were sitting still.

It's crazy to experience. In my flight school we messed around with a chair like that and just manipulating the movement of the chair makes you feel all sorts of crazy stuff that actually isn't happening.

If you do that with VR goggles on you turn your head to look around and the whole effect is ruined and you want to barf. Rotational based artificial gravity really fucks with you turn your head.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Got a big hole in the center of my Vultures windshield while HIRES hunting and made it to a nearby station that lacked any repair facility. It topped off my oxygen reserve to a whopping 5 whole minutes worth. Tried to make it to the next viable station, which I hoped was possible since it was just over 8000Ls away. I lost that last of my air just as I was able to drop out of supercruise. I wouldn't have made it even if I did since I wouldn't have been able to request docking and land in time. Even though I ran out of air, the Vulture esploded.

Am I wrong in assuming there's nothing I can do to extend oxygen time when the canopy has been compromised or stop my ship from popping after I die?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

AndyElusive posted:

Got a big hole in the center of my Vultures windshield while HIRES hunting and made it to a nearby station that lacked any repair facility. It topped off my oxygen reserve to a whopping 5 whole minutes worth. Tried to make it to the next viable station, which I hoped was possible since it was just over 8000Ls away. I lost that last of my air just as I was able to drop out of supercruise. I wouldn't have made it even if I did since I wouldn't have been able to request docking and land in time. Even though I ran out of air, the Vulture esploded.

Am I wrong in assuming there's nothing I can do to extend oxygen time when the canopy has been compromised or stop my ship from popping after I die?

Well, a bigger life support system means a bigger timer once you lose atmosphere. Timers from Grades E-A are 5:00, 7:30, 10:10, 15:00, 25:00.

I usually go with Grade C, it' weights the same as your default but is a nice round10 minutes.

A bit late now to ask "Did the station with no repairs have outfitting?". Because there are places that don't offer repairs, still having shipyards and selling FSDs :downs:

EDIT: Also, passing through station's entry slot is enough to restore your atmosphere. I've saved myself with seconds to spare by just eating the fines zooming in with no permissions doing this at least once. "Docking denied? gently caress this! If I crash to death not like I was gonna live much longer anyways!" *Pinballs through mailslot at 300*

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 26, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

AndyElusive posted:

You can buy a better life support system, but aside from that, no.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got the 25 mins oxygen life support and I don't regret it.
I am too old to be that worried :v:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh hey, right! Life Support System! Honestly the first time I've ever considered upgrading it. 10 minutes would have really helped. :doh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Every time something happens to blow out my canopy I usually land with less than a minute to thirty seconds remaining from my class D life support.

I... probably should upgrade it actually.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Oh hey, right! Life Support System! Honestly the first time I've ever considered upgrading it. 10 minutes would have really helped. :doh:

Just keep in mind that Space Air is super heavy so you might need to balance a bit of your jump range against extra time without a window.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Hello commandos

Is there any specific trick to doing these 'scour the surface of nearby bodies for a _______ and bring it back' missions? I can spot the marked zones and then follow my SRV's scanner but it always seems to be a mineral instead of a bootleg liquor crate or whatever I've been tasked with finding.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The stuff you guys are saying is blowing my mind. Killing sidewinders is the best way to rank up in combat, and doing missions with lower pay outs gets better influence? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mike the TV posted:

The stuff you guys are saying is blowing my mind. Killing sidewinders is the best way to rank up in combat, and doing missions with lower pay outs gets better influence? Wow.

I may be a bit off, but a lot of the "low pay=good rank" stuff is because those particular missions list "High" results. Donations for example, where you are giving away credits/cargo at a net loss, are "High" rep/influence gain. Meanwhile, flying halfway across the planet to blow up a generator guarded by turrets and attack drones is "Medium" and I still end turning them in and not even seeing my rank go up by 1% sometimes. Which is why it's such a big deal you can stack them (and shooting drone missions) at HIP 10716, and wait until you have a bunch of copies of the same mission all completed by doing it once.

Sure, like I said sometimes I don't even see my Naval rank bar even move, and I'm still in the lower ranks on top (Still just Squire, because I was bugged to have my Navy ranks frozen at zero for the longest time :shepface:). But my latest stacking got me a total gain of 19% turning them all in at once, just by actually doing the mission once. Along with 2.6 million credits. (An equal number of Donation missions would have blown that away for Naval Rep, but you wouldn't get paid in the process).

If I try to do something nice like locating escape pods to rescue, which involves much more time and effort... While the % gains are always there, it's bugged to poo poo to fail for no reason with no warning despite hours long timers. My latest was taking a rescue mission when I already had escape pods in my cargo, and it failed literally as soon as I accepted the mission.

Welcome to Elite. Where the ways to progress are completely insane and the ways that sound like they should work often do nothing at all.

Somebody remind me what practical purpose (compared to RES bounties) conflict zones serve outside of trying to get the BGS politics to move in the way you are hoping.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 26, 2016

• Locked thread