Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

Finally got my first Tier 5 skill on my IJN cruiser captain. Now I can stealth fire in my shitgami. Once I get the hang of stealthfiring, time grind for the Zao.

Did they tweak captain XP ?
I'm partway trough T9 on my Ibuki and Iowa captains that I mostly grinded a long time ago and I'm nowere near a tier 5 skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I didn't skip any ships in the IJN line and just got my 5 point skill almost exactly half-way through the Ibuki. It makes a big difference too I've found, I'm not getting nuked as much.

For my USN DD, it would be very similar - i'm about 50k left on Benson and about 100k left for that captain to get Lvl 5 skill. I didn't skip any of those either.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Arishtat posted:

This is a pretty common thread for most Atlanta spottings. Very, very *very* rarely one does something useful such as cover a carrier with AA or successfully hunt destroyers. Most of the ones I come across get too far forward (because their gun range is poo poo) and then get wrecked by concentrated fire from half of the enemy team because people *hate* getting shot at by Atlantas and they know that they're squishy little ships. They're much like the Tenryu and Kuma in that they're big destroyers but lack the agility and smoke ability of destroyers so they just die.

While I typically have fun in the Atlanta, it's more in the "Annoy the gently caress out of people by chaingunning them" rather than "Actually do a huge ton of damage and get kills" sorta way.

Sometimes things just work out though, last night I had a great game, 6 kills of three DDs that tried to sit still hiding in smoke while eating 5k+ HE volleys, a couple german cruisers that decided it was OK to go broadside to me while looking somewhere else, and then a Tirpitz that sailed around an island at point blank 2.5km range, to eat a full 4 torp spread and explode in to many pieces.

I don't think I've ever actually hit someone with the Atlanta's puny 4km torps in a T8 match, ever.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Krogort posted:

Did they tweak captain XP ?
I'm partway trough T9 on my Ibuki and Iowa captains that I mostly grinded a long time ago and I'm nowere near a tier 5 skill.

Well to make the trek less painful, get your hand on a few premium ships and get the daily 1.5x exp multiplier on all of them, plus there is a flag (which also involves busting out your wallet, or through an achievement) that gives you +50% captain experience. I didn't use the latter much to get my 15 point soviet DD captain, but i did buy every possible premium soviet ship (except the gremyashchy), which is a retarded amount of money but it does make the grind for last few points less horrible.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Typically if you play naturally, you'll have your 5th point at some point in your early grind for T9. Of course, this is delayed depending on how much you free xp'd, and how you went about retraining. If you didn't drop 200k credits retraining every time, you might be delayed further into T9, and if you retrained using premium ships, you'll probably be getting the 5th skill near the tail end of T8 instead, or even earlier if you do some credit grinding with the ship before moving on. I got my 15th point in my US DD captain on the Benson, since I used it quite a bit for ranked.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Any reviews for the early russian cruisers? are they any good?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

do goons do team battles?

Fizzil posted:

Any reviews for the early russian cruisers? are they any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO7w1CMi1RA

seems like the branch's best ship is t6?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

guidoanselmi posted:

do goons do team battles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO7w1CMi1RA

seems like the branch's best ship is t6?

iChase's overview is quite good. It seems like WG has mostly resisted making these botes out of Stalinium, but I have a feeling the high shell velocity is going to make them murderific in the hands of a good player.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MoraleHazard posted:

iChase's overview is quite good. It seems like WG has mostly resisted making these botes out of Stalinium, but I have a feeling the high shell velocity is going to make them murderific in the hands of a good player.

Yeah, this should be interesting. The rudder shifts are bad but not THAT bad.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Especially when the best players are making their turns before they really need to; having 10% slower rudder or bigger turning circle doesn't mean much when you're spotted and primaried and avoidance is the best medicine in that respect. Though I don't think I'll be able to do the Nuremburg two-step in with the Russian CA's. I love swinging that stern back and forth, pouring rounds into some hapless BB driver.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

wdarkk posted:

What worries me is the turn radius on some of them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

El Disco posted:

You do not need to turn, Tovarisch. We will sail straight on to Berlin.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

El Disco posted:

Just means traverse time is pretty irrelevant. Sail in a counter-clockwise circle around the map with your guns always pointing left.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Just means traverse time is pretty irrelevant. Sail in a counter-clockwise circle around the map with your guns always pointing left.

The NASCAR strategy.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Night10194 posted:

You do not need to turn, Tovarisch. We will sail straight on to Berlin.

you only turn if you're retreating and this navy does not retreat.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
The tier 3 boat is pretty fierce. It'd be more fierce if there weren't 10 of them on each team.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
After watching that video, I think I'll go for the T6 Russian Cruiser and leave it there. I'm keeping my Konigsberg and Myoko so this will fill that gap in nicely.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Az, wdarkk, and I had some hilarious games in a triple Konigsberg division -

Turns out three Konigsbergs sailing together with voice chat are:

1. Excellent DD hunters at these tiers because they can have superior hydroacoustic up indefinitely, can see torps coming from 7km away and are highly maneuverable to boot
2. Can whittle down BBs at these tiers very quickly with superstructure german AP shots and target prioritization and only a little bit of evasive maneuvers needed
3. Can melt other cruisers in their way within seconds

9.5/10 would Konigsbro again if my internet doesn't crap out

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Pacra posted:

1. Excellent DD hunters at these tiers because they can have superior hydroacoustic up indefinitely, can see torps coming from 7km away and are highly maneuverable to boot
2. Can whittle down BBs at these tiers very quickly with superstructure german AP shots and target prioritization and only a little bit of evasive maneuvers needed

az gets a tier 5, hurray. no more Alaska beta groups.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

jownzy posted:

az gets a tier 5, hurray. no more Alaska beta groups.

God, I wish the beta gave us an Alaska.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

wdarkk posted:

God, I wish the beta gave us an Alaska.

I wish Alaska was in the game.

Pacra posted:

That sounds like fun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

I wish Alaska was in the game.

That sounds like fun.

Watching a Furutaka evaporate like it was shot by a Yamato was amazing.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Ugh, sorry the Alaska was soiled too much in Navyfield for me to believe it would compete with the Arkansas.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Anyone have tips for playing the Amagi? For me it's a floating piece of poo poo with less effective armor than a cruiser. Whenever I'm not sniping at max range, I die to random citadels from the first enemy that can aim. It's literally worse than the Kawachi.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 24, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

blowfish posted:

Anyone have tips for playing the Amagi? For me it's a floating piece of poo poo with less effective armor than a cruiser. Whenever I'm not sniping at max range, I die to random citadels from the first enemy that can aim. It's literally worse than the Kawachi.

The A hull is amazingly terrible, do whatever you can to get out of it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The Amagi is not as tough as North Carolina but it is still pretty durable. Also it has the 3rd biggest broadside in the game behind Yamato and Montana. I also found it very accurate, nimble and fast with reasonable AA. IMO its the second best Battleship in the game (accounting for tier) behind Yamato.

The usual question applies, are you playing stock? There's literally no point complaining about stock IJN BBs, everyone knows they are poo poo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I like how the stock Nagato tries to trick you into believing everything is fine, because it doesn't have the savage max range cut that the stock Fuso has, while it stands in front of the tooltip showing the 16,000hp boost the B hull gives

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The real problem is that the shells on the stock hull of any Japanese battleship are loving terrible. OK, maybe "another" real problem.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Yeah I'm playing the stock hull, and it is god awful. After the Nagato or Fuso I had expected it to be mediocre but not so godawful it's not worth playing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

blowfish posted:

Yeah I'm playing the stock hull, and it is god awful. After the Nagato or Fuso I had expected it to be mediocre but not so godawful it's not worth playing.

It's a WW1 battlecruiser.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

blowfish posted:

WHOA, don't you talk about the Amagi like that. It's INSANELY good. Get out of A hull immediately, though. You've got 10 guns, and a 30 second reload time, giving you fairly constant barrages of 16 inch shells. The Amagi's ballistics are incredibly good, making it deadly at basically anything in range. It's also fast. The main problems are, of course, IJN BB armor. It'll get citadeled if you're not careful. However, the Amagi is basically the best DPS BB out there, behind the T10s themselves. Its a monstrous boat, you'll love it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

wdarkk posted:

It's a WW1 battlecruiser.

It's a post-WWI battlecruiser that was wrecked on the ways by an earthquake.

Reminder that WG skipped the Ise class, with the option of a semi-carrier C hull comedy upgrade, in favor a ship that never sailed.

Also I'm once again amazed at the lengths pubbies will go to in order to avoid actual combat. Seeing three battleships and a heavy cruiser all clustered in the NE corner of New Dawn is just wonderful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sperglord Actual posted:

It's a post-WWI battlecruiser that was wrecked on the ways by an earthquake.

The design was approved in 1917, so I'm going to call it WW1.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

The design was approved in 1917, so I'm going to call it WW1.

Another interesting note, the IJN CV flagship Akagi was actually originally intended to be an Amagi class battlecruiser, but was instead made into a CV. If the Amagi hadn't been damaged in that earthquake, it likely would have joined Akagi in becoming a CV.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why did WG skip the Ise, anyway? The Ise's a cool as hell bote.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

Why did WG skip the Ise, anyway? The Ise's a cool as hell bote.

We might see it in the eventual Battlecruiser/Battleship type CV line WG has talked about occasionally. IIRC, they already have the Akagi and Kaga modeled, they're just working on other things and likely want to get more nations into the game before making new trees for existing ones.

Unless its Russian. Russian BBs before the British!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
At this point I wouldn't even be surprised to see China carriers before the British.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

Another interesting note, the IJN CV flagship Akagi was actually originally intended to be an Amagi class battlecruiser, but was instead made into a CV. If the Amagi hadn't been damaged in that earthquake, it likely would have joined Akagi in becoming a CV.

And Kaga would have been scrapped instead

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hazdoc posted:

The Amagi was going to be a CV, the Kaga was a suboptimal hull for conversion because it was a BB and not as fast as the rest of the carrier arm.

As far as the Ise goes, without the stub deck it's a very slightly enhanced Fuso. Very slightly indeed. Meanwhile Amagi fills a real gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

WG has zero problem padding out their other lines with incremental upgrades, though. Double points for the ones that are incremental and fictitious.