Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm also getting about four hours out of a full charge, even if it's just with the screen on half-brightness using irssi and Safari for light web browsing and chatting. I thought I had just hosed up bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That battery is hosed

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

Oh wait, your argument is even dumber than I thought, my mistake.

People are already used to buying a complete replacement every cycle, even Windows users. :ssh:

Of course it's dumber than you thought. Because your statements highlight a second round of willful misunderstanding. Want to know a real :ssh: ?

My conversation with you had nothing to do with buying a complete replacement every cycle - unless you are hilariously confused between my statements to you and my bemusement expressed to another poster about a company that claims to be "environmentally friendly" which specifically engineers a complete replacement on their products containing toxic and large impact materials instead of upgrades. While it does amuse me, it's no where near related to my statements about why I think Apple won't release something like eGPU support.

Here are my opinions:
Apple will not likely actively support something like an eGPU on the TB bus because
A) Doing so will likely extend their ~3-5 year cadence in replacement income which will
B) Reduce their income after the first year revenue (a first year that might be stellar).

Apple very clearly plays the long-game in how they release systems and
A) without anything exciting on the Intel roadmap they have less pressure to release super terrific systems here and now because it will leave people clinging to elder systems and rob them of revenue and
B) I say this because you can see this having played out in the Mac Mini 2012 to 2014 update where the 2014s were less powerful than their predecessors without much other gain to the consumer,
C) which made them anemic in terms of general demand (and sharply increased demand at the end of life for the 2012 model).

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

mitztronic posted:

Picked up a 13" MBP for my wife, can't keep waiting for Apple to get their poo poo together, and I certainly don't want to be forced into a Rev1 of a new design . It's a shame it has a terrible graphics card, but what can you do.

not enough space for battery in the 13inch to meet apple's min standard for battery life if they added a dGPU and i have to agree with them

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Arsten posted:

Of course it's dumber than you thought. Because your statements highlight a second round of willful misunderstanding. Want to know a real :ssh: ?

My conversation with you had nothing to do with buying a complete replacement every cycle - unless you are hilariously confused between my statements to you and my bemusement expressed to another poster about a company that claims to be "environmentally friendly" which specifically engineers a complete replacement on their products containing toxic and large impact materials instead of upgrades. While it does amuse me, it's no where near related to my statements about why I think Apple won't release something like eGPU support.

Here are my opinions:
Apple will not likely actively support something like an eGPU on the TB bus because
A) Doing so will likely extend their ~3-5 year cadence in replacement income which will
B) Reduce their income after the first year revenue (a first year that might be stellar).

Apple very clearly plays the long-game in how they release systems and
A) without anything exciting on the Intel roadmap they have less pressure to release super terrific systems here and now because it will leave people clinging to elder systems and rob them of revenue and
B) I say this because you can see this having played out in the Mac Mini 2012 to 2014 update where the 2014s were less powerful than their predecessors without much other gain to the consumer,
C) which made them anemic in terms of general demand (and sharply increased demand at the end of life for the 2012 model).

this plan made them not sell very many mac minis, of course they'll keep doing it!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sinestro posted:

this plan made them not sell very many mac minis, of course they'll keep doing it!

It made them sell 2012s like gang busters! :v:

But let me ask you: Would you buy a 2016 anything if it had identical specs to whatever the last revision in 2013 was? Not unless your current system was suffering from some sort of issue.

As for the future of the Mini, it was either to reposition the Mini as a low-power web surfing terminal with a move to the iMac if you wanted more power (or at least iMac pricing by upgrading to the higher tiers of the Mini) or to give them upgrade room for whatever their next version of the Mini comes out as.

But, if they were to release OSX11 with eGPU support that would install onto a 2014 Mini (granted it only has TB2), a lot of people would be satisfied with the upgrade enough to not bother picking up the new release of the Mini, whenever that comes, because I doubt that the new Mini will suddenly be moved back to a QC i7 just because people didn't like the configuration options of the 2014.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Arsten posted:

But, if they were to release OSX11 with eGPU support that would install onto a 2014 Mini (granted it only has TB2), a lot of people would be satisfied with the upgrade enough to not bother picking up the new release of the Mini, whenever that comes, because I doubt that the new Mini will suddenly be moved back to a QC i7 just because people didn't like the configuration options of the 2014.

Jesus christ you are dumb please stop posting.

External GPU is something a few nerds have boners about, but probably has almost no mainstream appeal. Literally every one of your posts has been predicated on the nerd fallacy of assuming that what you, a nerd, wants is OBVIOUSLY what everyone wants.

If Apple doesn't implement external GPU, I would bet it's because management decided that it's too niche. Not some weirdo game of "hah hah we can sell more whole new machines!!! (twirls handlebar mustache)" Features that require significant extra engineering (and this one would) but don't appeal to lots of customers face an uphill battle when it comes to getting management agreement that yes, this is a thing your employees should be spending time on at the cost of something else.

I especially like the blind assumption that the 2014 Mini is doing terribly in the marketplace, based on essentially no data. Yes yes the 2012 refurbs disappeared and used prices shot up and blah blah blah. That's noise, the refurb/used market is small and can easily be swung by a small number of people.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If the eGPU works under Windows 10 with thunderbolt 3, then that'll likely be enough.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

BobHoward posted:

External GPU is something a few nerds have boners about, but probably has almost no mainstream appeal. Literally every one of your posts has been predicated on the nerd fallacy of assuming that what you, a nerd, wants is OBVIOUSLY what everyone wants.
I've been doing the exact opposite of what you say, here. I also like how you make the blind assumption that I want an eGPU based on essentially no data. At no point did I go "Apple HAS TO MAKE THIS BRAH."

BobHoward posted:

If Apple doesn't implement external GPU, I would bet it's because management decided that it's too niche. Not some weirdo game of "hah hah we can sell more whole new machines!!! (twirls handlebar mustache)" Features that require significant extra engineering (and this one would) but don't appeal to lots of customers face an uphill battle when it comes to getting management agreement that yes, this is a thing your employees should be spending time on at the cost of something else.
Kudos, you agree with me, even down to the fact that there is likely no benefit for Apple in doing something like adding eGPU support.

BobHoward posted:

I especially like the blind assumption that the 2014 Mini is doing terribly in the marketplace, based on essentially no data. Yes yes the 2012 refurbs disappeared and used prices shot up and blah blah blah. That's noise, the refurb/used market is small and can easily be swung by a small number of people.
Ah, I see. My making blind assumptions based on admitted anecdotal detail is bad. You making blind assumptions based on even less is good. Since you have, twice in one post, done what you accused me of, I'll leave your own advice for you:

BobHoward posted:

Jesus christ you are dumb please stop posting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I use to remember a really good website that listed the values for used Macs, I can't remember it anymore. Does anyone know what I am probably referring to?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I said come in! posted:

I use to remember a really good website that listed the values for used Macs, I can't remember it anymore. Does anyone know what I am probably referring to?

eBay?

:haw:

Mac2Sell? MacOfAllTrades? SellYourMac?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I've used MacOfAllTrades, before. Now I generally go through local places like MicroCenter or a few of the repair shops downtown who always seem to have a bunch of refurbs ready to go so I don't know how good/bad they have gotten.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

eBay?

:haw:

Mac2Sell? MacOfAllTrades? SellYourMac?

Mac2Sell was the site I was thinking of. I wanted to sell my 2012 Macbook Pro 13" to my dad, it has an Intel SSD in it. I was going to part ways with it for $600 but wanted to see how much more I could swindle out of my old man. :haw:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Mac2Sell was the site I was thinking of. I wanted to sell my 2012 Macbook Pro 13" to my dad, it has an Intel SSD in it. I was going to part ways with it for $600 but wanted to see how much more I could swindle out of my old man. :haw:

Mac2Sell is a terrible site, do not place any weight into anything they say.

Just go to eBay, search for your model and then filter results by "Sold". That tells you what real people are actually paying for your computer. Use the average of those sold auctions.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

That site sucks. Detected my ad blocker and wouldn't let me use the site without me disabling it first. gently caress that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GutBomb posted:

That site sucks. Detected my ad blocker and wouldn't let me use the site without me disabling it first. gently caress that.

Yeah I don't remember it originally making me do that. I don't use any site that forces me to disable adblock.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah it sucks that people want to get paid for their work, man. Those mother fuckers.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Nobody ever agreed that being forced to look at some invasive ad is just part of the web experience, please gently caress off with any anti ad blocker justice horseshit just because you read some lovely blog about it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mediaphage posted:

Yeah it sucks that people want to get paid for their work, man. Those mother fuckers.

Find some way to make money that's not annoying to the users and the users won't use tools available to them to avoid said annoyances.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

wdarkk posted:

If the eGPU works under Windows 10 with thunderbolt 3, then that'll likely be enough.

This is the correct answer considering that loads of people have egpus working in hackjob Thunderbolt 2 enclosures.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
After a couple months with this imac, I gotta say I'm a little disappointed in the performance. Mouse lag on websites, terrible mouse and keyboard performance, lag in video. Just seems to laggy in general. I don't like mechanical keyboards (too loud) and I don't like chicklet keyboards either. And it still boggles my mind how right apple gets everything else to screw up the mouse this badly.

Do I really need to add 8 more GB of RAM to make it feel as snappy as I think it should?

I'm wondering if there's something wonky going on with Chrome or the extensions I normally use, so I've disabled those and just going to have to suffer through some ads and such.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Tide posted:

After a couple months with this imac, I gotta say I'm a little disappointed in the performance. Mouse lag on websites, terrible mouse and keyboard performance, lag in video. Just seems to laggy in general. I don't like mechanical keyboards (too loud) and I don't like chicklet keyboards either. And it still boggles my mind how right apple gets everything else to screw up the mouse this badly.

Do I really need to add 8 more GB of RAM to make it feel as snappy as I think it should?

I'm wondering if there's something wonky going on with Chrome or the extensions I normally use, so I've disabled those and just going to have to suffer through some ads and such.

can you be more specific about what year/model this imac is

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Tide posted:

Might be helpful to post what the current specs of your iMac are? Also do you experience the same problems with Safari?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Chrome is pretty crap on Macs

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Chrome is pretty crap on Macs

This is truth.

It's like it was deliberately designed as a stress test to max out the processor and drain batteries as quickly as possible.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

can you be more specific about what year/model this imac is

Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015
Processor: 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8GB 1867 Mhz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

e: I never really use Safari, have been using Chrome for what seems like years now.

Tide fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 26, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tide posted:

e: I never really use Safari, have been using Chrome for what seems like years now.

Problem identified.

Chrome is a third party browser that has never really been optimized for Mac OS.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

This is the correct answer considering that loads of people have egpus working in hackjob Thunderbolt 2 enclosures.
Hell last I saw they have them working in OS X.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

so is there not a new macbook coming out?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Chrome is one of the few programs that makes my MBP's fans turn on immediately along side Unreal 4 and Kerbal Space Program.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have a couple of Mac Pro questions. Turns out that 1,1 tower I bought on the cheap a few months back just isn't cutting it; it's about as slow as my old iMac even with the RAM and SSD I added - I should have known better, I guess. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new(er) DAW machine and this time I'm prepared to spend what it takes to get one that doesn't kill my creativity. I do enough of that on my own.

A friend of mine who's a local heavyweight film/TV composer said I should be looking at a 5,1 model with 6-thread dual-core 2.4GHz processors and 1333MHz RAM - seems I'm only running into 2.66GHz models though. He says that by dropping in a pair of X5690 SLBVX CPUs and up to 128GB RAM, it will become "the fastest machine they never made." Does this sound about right? Anyway I'm looking around on eBay and Kijiji and I've found a couple of models that fit the criteria - I think I'm going to go for this one, but gently caress those import charges... I wish the CAD wasn't in such a lovely place, too. Anyway, the plan is to grab an Accelsior S card for the 6G SSD I already have and maybe some more RAM if the price is right but 32GB is probably enough. I will upgrade the CPUs somewhere down the road.

The other option is some kind of Hackintosh... I have zero experience or knowledge with any of these but this guy came up on Craigslist today and some of those numbers _sound_ better than the above 5,1 and it's a lot cheaper, but again I don't know anything about these. Are they known for compatibility issues with Mac software or anything like that?

ANYWAY, the main question is this: As I said, I've currently got all my audio/video software installed on my 1,1 tower running OS 10,6,8. I believe all of it is installed on the SSD. What is the most efficient way to transfer all of this software, VST plugins, licenses etc. to the new machine? Presumably the new machine will come with OSX ready to go on one of its drives. I want to drop in my current SSD into an Accelsior card, put that in the new machine and have that as my boot drive. Am I better off wiping all my software and licenses and starting from scratch or is there a better way?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Badger posted:

Problem identified.

Chrome is a third party browser that has never really been optimized for Mac OS.

Well crap. Oh well. Thank you

e: i mostly used chrome because of the extensions (ad block, and a few others). Time to move to the apple ad blockers, even if they paid apps....

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

shrike82 posted:

so is there not a new macbook coming out?

Nothing was expected to be announced at the event and nothing was announced at the event.

As long as it's not redesign, we'll probably just get a press release in a few weeks for a spec bump.

Tide posted:

Well crap. Oh well. Thank you

e: i mostly used chrome because of the extensions (ad block, and a few others). Time to move to the apple ad blockers, even if they paid apps....

uBlock is on Safari. Most of the major extensions are cross browser and free.
Can you even buy extensions?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

I have a couple of Mac Pro questions. Turns out that 1,1 tower I bought on the cheap a few months back just isn't cutting it; it's about as slow as my old iMac even with the RAM and SSD I added - I should have known better, I guess. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new(er) DAW machine and this time I'm prepared to spend what it takes to get one that doesn't kill my creativity. I do enough of that on my own.

A friend of mine who's a local heavyweight film/TV composer said I should be looking at a 5,1 model with 6-thread dual-core 2.4GHz processors and 1333MHz RAM - seems I'm only running into 2.66GHz models though. He says that by dropping in a pair of X5690 SLBVX CPUs and up to 128GB RAM, it will become "the fastest machine they never made." Does this sound about right?

Well I suspect he's being a bit gung-ho there. I doubt upgrading the RAM that high will do anything for DAW, even 32GB would probably be massive overkill. Same goes for the CPUs, it seems slightly unlikely that mixing audio really needs 12 3.46 GHz cores.

The 5,1 is a better machine than the 1,1 without a doubt, but you might be surprised at how close a stock 4x2.66 MPro1,1 is to a stock 6x2.4 MPro5,1. It depends on the software you run -- if it doesn't spin up over 4 threads the 1,1 is going to be quite competitive. IMO you should put some work into investigating which out of CPU, memory, and disk is actually holding you back before buying anything. You can learn a lot by running Activity Monitor while you work to see what elements of the system are getting stressed.

(What were the specs of your old iMac, BTW? That might hint at why the 1,1 didn't help you out at all.)

quote:

Anyway I'm looking around on eBay and Kijiji and I've found a couple of models that fit the criteria - I think I'm going to go for this one, but gently caress those import charges... I wish the CAD wasn't in such a lovely place, too. Anyway, the plan is to grab an Accelsior S card for the 6G SSD I already have and maybe some more RAM if the price is right but 32GB is probably enough. I will upgrade the CPUs somewhere down the road.

The other option is some kind of Hackintosh... I have zero experience or knowledge with any of these but this guy came up on Craigslist today and some of those numbers _sound_ better than the above 5,1 and it's a lot cheaper, but again I don't know anything about these. Are they known for compatibility issues with Mac software or anything like that?

Don't do Hackintosh if you find the prospect of spending significant amounts of time on sketchy internet message boards populated by angry teenagers unappealing. Basically, it can work, it will require extra time investment from you at some point (afaik nobody has ever gotten it to be truly point-and-click no-maintenance), and you may run into the occasional problem.

Also there's not much point in paying extra for "that guy" to assemble your Hackintosh for you. It's standard PC hardware in a standard PC case, he lists all the components, you can easily just buy them off Newegg (or whatever other source if Newegg doesn't operate in Canada) and assemble them yourself. The only service he's really offering is pre-installed OS X, which (a) is totally illegal (Apple went after outfits that tried to commercialize it and shut it down) and (b) is something you should figure out how to do for yourself if you're going down this route since "that guy" isn't going to support you if you ever need to reinstall.

(e: There should probably be a Hackintosh thread somewhere on these forums and I hope someone will link it)

quote:

ANYWAY, the main question is this: As I said, I've currently got all my audio/video software installed on my 1,1 tower running OS 10,6,8. I believe all of it is installed on the SSD. What is the most efficient way to transfer all of this software, VST plugins, licenses etc. to the new machine? Presumably the new machine will come with OSX ready to go on one of its drives. I want to drop in my current SSD into an Accelsior card, put that in the new machine and have that as my boot drive. Am I better off wiping all my software and licenses and starting from scratch or is there a better way?

If the new machine is capable of running 10.6.8, which I think a 5,1 is, it's as simple as moving the SSD to the new machine and booting it.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 26, 2016

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Thanks, this is really informative. I suspected what my friend suggested would be a bit on the side of 'overkill' for my purposes. If I go with his suggestion, I'll probably leave the RAM at 32GB and won't even think about upgrading the CPUs for some time. I run Ableton Live (OS 10.6.8 doesn't support the latest version though), but I'm thinking of getting a copy of Cubase as well because Live doesn't seem to enjoy talking to some of my hardware, particularly my Access Virus TI2 synth. Occasionally I run Adobe Premiere for some light video editing.

As for my current machines, the iMac is an 8,1 with a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of 800MHz RAM. It was really slowing down and sometimes would not launch Live at all, so I jumped on the Mac Pro 1,1 that a friend was selling. That one has 2x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeon CPUs and 21GB of 667MHz RAM. I know, it wasn't exactly a smart purchase. I immediately dropped in two 3TB HDDs and a 240GB 6G SSD, hoping they would make a big difference.

I'm heading out for work in a few minutes but later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll run Activity Monitor over one of my more intensive Ableton sessions to see what's up. What should I be looking for in terms of indicators that my CPU or RAM or HD is bottlenecking?

As for transferring to the new machine, I just want to clarify some things: So if I get this Accelsior S card to mount my current SSD in the new machine, and boot off of that, I'm booting into 10.6.8, correct? Presumably this 5,1 I want to buy comes with Yosemite - how do I get the new OS onto the old SSD? Also, is the Accelsior card going to yield a noticeable performance boost? I'm under the impression that this is the only way to take advantage of the full 6G speed of the SSD.

Thanks again for all your help BobHoward, I really appreciate it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've finally been worn down by this thread and others and have given Safari on the mac another shot and it's actually a lot better than Chrome so I'll admit Safari isn't poo poo anymore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GutBomb posted:

I've finally been worn down by this thread and others and have given Safari on the mac another shot and it's actually a lot better than Chrome so I'll admit Safari isn't poo poo anymore.

Been using it without major issue since 2006. Welcome back!

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I also switched back pretty recently and am back to being happy with it as well.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks, this is really informative. I suspected what my friend suggested would be a bit on the side of 'overkill' for my purposes. If I go with his suggestion, I'll probably leave the RAM at 32GB and won't even think about upgrading the CPUs for some time. I run Ableton Live (OS 10.6.8 doesn't support the latest version though), but I'm thinking of getting a copy of Cubase as well because Live doesn't seem to enjoy talking to some of my hardware, particularly my Access Virus TI2 synth. Occasionally I run Adobe Premiere for some light video editing.

It's oddly difficult to find any information about Ableton's hardware needs online. Ableton's own website is maddeningly vague, and users seem in the dark too. What I have been able to google suggests that the main performance issues people run into are related to disk speed, not CPU or RAM. Not being super heavy on CPU/RAM makes sense since Ableton is a popular live performance tool so the developers ought to be optimizing for MacBooks.

quote:

I'm heading out for work in a few minutes but later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll run Activity Monitor over one of my more intensive Ableton sessions to see what's up. What should I be looking for in terms of indicators that my CPU or RAM or HD is bottlenecking?

In the CPU tab, look at % Idle. If it's close to 0, that means your CPUs are maxxed out. Under the Window menu you an also have it bring up a floating bargraph window that shows usage of each CPU core.

In the memory tab, check "Page outs" and "Swap used". These indicate use of swapfiles, ie. the system ran out of RAM and had to store stuff temporarily on disk. You should reboot the computer just before doing your intensive Ableton session, that way the memory use of other software won't enter into the picture. The ideal values for pageouts and swap used are both 0. Adding more RAM than whatever's needed to make pageouts and swap usage 0 (or close to it) has very little value.

In the disk activity tab, just look and see if the graph shows lots of activity.

quote:

As for transferring to the new machine, I just want to clarify some things: So if I get this Accelsior S card to mount my current SSD in the new machine, and boot off of that, I'm booting into 10.6.8, correct?

Correct.

quote:

Presumably this 5,1 I want to buy comes with Yosemite - how do I get the new OS onto the old SSD? Also, is the Accelsior card going to yield a noticeable performance boost? I'm under the impression that this is the only way to take advantage of the full 6G speed of the SSD.

Before doing anything I'd back the original SSD up to a HDD on your existing system. Once the SSD is in the new computer use the Mac App Store to update the OS.

Yes, you do need some kind of PCIe SATA controller like the Accelsior to get 6G SATA on tower Mac Pros, because all of them have 3G SATA. If your'e dead set on buying a 5,1 you could actually buy the Accelsior first and try it on the 1,1, but the 1,1's limited PCIe speed won't let it get the most out of the card/drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

BobHoward posted:

It's oddly difficult to find any information about Ableton's hardware needs online. Ableton's own website is maddeningly vague, and users seem in the dark too. What I have been able to google suggests that the main performance issues people run into are related to disk speed, not CPU or RAM. Not being super heavy on CPU/RAM makes sense since Ableton is a popular live performance tool so the developers ought to be optimizing for MacBooks.

In general, unless you're running massive amounts of plugins, Ableton is pretty lightweight from a CPU perspective. Audio applications are simply, generally not as resource-intensive as video. And you can offset things when it does get slow in Ableton by freezing tracks.

I've been running Ableton since the Core Duo Macbook days and it's always run like a champ on Mac hardware. I'm running it now on a late-2013 iMac and it's snappy and responsive, even with 30+ tracks firing off. In fact, while I have no way of knowing or proving this, I bet you could even run Ableton on a 2015 rMB and it wouldn't be terrible.