Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Piccolo just had a fight were not only did he hold his own, but he was winning.

Also dragon ball the side characters weren't that much more relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raxivace posted:

In Battle of Gods Beerus says he was only using about 70% of his power. The subs I had for Super had Beerus saying he was using 100% of his power to fight Super Saiyan God Goku.

In Super it seems that Goku was already pretty close to being able to defeat Beerus before training with Whis, if the subs are correct. I find this change interesting.

Beerus revealed in Super at the end that he was bullshiting Goku and honestly was not really trying that hard. He faked falling asleep as well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Piccolo just had a fight were not only did he hold his own, but he was winning.

Also dragon ball the side characters weren't that much more relevant.

Sure, but that was only possible because of the tournament limitations and Frost trying to keep his facade. One of the reasons I kinda dig this arc, it reels back the power level BS since it's supposed to be an old-school tournament. Piccolo got to outsmart Frost, and Frost got to defeat Goku.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I think I'd be a lot more okay with everything if SSJ was as taxing, or even more taxing, as Kaioken. Where if you keep it up, you could actually die, or severely gently caress yourself up for a long time. Something you use as an actual trump card, not one where you're holding back just for fun because you're just too loving awesome otherwise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not really, Frosts facade is how he won, not what was holding him back.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
It was all about the limitations, imagine if someone challenged you to fight a cockroach and win without killing it. Wouldn't really be easy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really, Frosts facade is how he won, not what was holding him back.

Two things: one, he was trying to maintain the good guy appearance and have a fair fight with Piccolo instead of outright rushing him down full-force (like Vegeta did to him). Two, if it weren't for the facade he would've just poisoned Piccolo from the get-go. Dude was trying for a legit win until he got outsmarted.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sharktamer posted:

It was all about the limitations, imagine if someone challenged you to fight a cockroach and win without killing it. Wouldn't really be easy.

Never fight a cockroach

http://imgur.com/a/4e593

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

I think I'd be a lot more okay with everything if SSJ was as taxing, or even more taxing, as Kaioken. Where if you keep it up, you could actually die, or severely gently caress yourself up for a long time. Something you use as an actual trump card, not one where you're holding back just for fun because you're just too loving awesome otherwise.

That was the entire point of the Android part of the Cell saga. Goku and Gohan just busted that disadvantage and SSJ3 reintroduced it.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah who is it that made up that ssj3 was power draining by nature, it was always quite obvious that was just because Goku had just learned it and never actually used it while alive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sharktamer posted:

It would actually be really easy. Cockroaches are super tough, you could pick it up and throw it against a brick wall and it would be fine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rutibex posted:

3)The third is crazy town, Cell saga through DB Super. We are through the looking glass, nothing is real. Saiyans only beyond this point, anyone else is too weak to even serve as a distraction

Uh, I think Tien's going to have to disagree there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY9g-0d7BK0

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

sharktamer posted:

Yeah who is it that made up that ssj3 was power draining by nature, it was always quite obvious that was just because Goku had just learned it and never actually used it while alive.

It's probably a mix up from how using Super Saiyan 3 quickly drains the time left on Earth for Goku on the day of the Tenkaichi, rather than it being more physically exerting for him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hot take: super Saiyan 3 is stupid, people should have eyebrows, super Saiyan 2 best Saiyan.

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

multijoe posted:

Uh, I think Tien's going to have to disagree there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY9g-0d7BK0

Fanservice. Just like when he shot Majin Buu.

I don't know what to make of Goku since I'm fighting him. I can tell he's crushed by the pressure of the fight, and he knows he's going to die. I'm Majin Perfect Cell and I already killed Gohan.

s-ssuche power!!!!!!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Hot take: super Saiyan 3 is stupid, people should have eyebrows, super Saiyan 2 best Saiyan.

I agree on all counts.
The one dangling down across the face lock of hair Goku/Gohan have in SSJ2 is the best design for super saiyan to me.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Best opinion

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To be honest, as a kid, I never really cared for Tien, Chaotzu, Yamcha or the other side characters. I was usually rooting more to see Goku, Gohan, Future Trunks and Vegeta kick rear end. Piccolo seemed cool and I liked Krillin as a noble coward, but all this love for the human side characters is kind of weird to me sometimes. Especially since I remember finding the story cutting to them to be annoying.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I agree on all counts.
The one dangling down across the face lock of hair Goku/Gohan have in SSJ2 is the best design for super saiyan to me.

The Superman lock is rad, no questions, but for me it was the lightning. The lightning is important, and much better than Caveman Saiyan or Furry Saiyan or Fetus Powered Saiyan. I have no specific complaints about Blueper Saiyan.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

The Superman lock is rad, no questions, but for me it was the lightning. The lightning is important, and much better than Caveman Saiyan or Furry Saiyan or Fetus Powered Saiyan. I have no specific complaints about Blueper Saiyan.

My only complaint is that blue is a strange color to signify power. They kinda blew their load with gold. I miss different people having different auras, Vegeta being purplish and Piccolo being orange and Kaioken being pink/red.. They never stuck with it for too long but it was a neat concept. Eventually everyone was just white or yellow.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ssj3 looks badass

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Covok posted:

To be honest, as a kid, I never really cared for Tien, Chaotzu, Yamcha or the other side characters. I was usually rooting more to see Goku, Gohan, Future Trunks and Vegeta kick rear end. Piccolo seemed cool and I liked Krillin as a noble coward, but all this love for the human side characters is kind of weird to me sometimes. Especially since I remember finding the story cutting to them to be annoying.

I've always liked it when side characters got to punch above their weight and especially compared to the Saiyans, who'd spend half an episode powering up and declare themselves utterly invincible, it was always fun seeing Tien or Krillin or (Frieza Saga) Gohan just turn up and give it their best shot, even if they knew they probably weren't going to win.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The problem with later portions of Z and such vis a vis side characters is there weren't henchmen, so everything came down to a champion vs champion thing. Like in the earlier days of Z, your Krillins and Gohans could pick off Saibamen and Appule and so forth while Goku still fought Vegeta, Ginyu, and Freiza. Fast forward from Gero to like Beerus, it's just our top guy vs their top (and only) guy almost all the time. Then RoF comes along and reasserts the earlier structure and gee willikers, Roshi and Krillin and Piccolo are facing the lower ranked enemies again, amazing how that works.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well for me it's because I actually watched Dragonball and liked Tien and Krillin and Piccolo. I mean Piccolo/Goku fight was bad rear end and so was Tien/Goku. So yeah it kinda is nice that Tien still can do things. I mean goddamn him managing to at least keep cell at bay for a bit (even though unfortunately it was for naught) was pretty drat badass.

And then they let him have some limelight in ROF which was drat cool as well.

Hell I think ROF is the only time Krillin doesn't up being a punching bag.

edit: Pretty much what the above poster said. If they had goons/henchmen Krillin/Tien shine which they should do more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Notice that apple and basically all henchmen were not killed by the side characters but Vegeta and piccolo. Krillian killed a couple sabamen I guess?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

He didn't fight Apple specifically but he and Gohan kicked some Frieza's soldiers butts upon reaching Namek. It's still a shame they didn't get to defeat Guldo at least, that Guru powerup only worked to impress Vegeta for like one second.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Notice that apple and basically all henchmen were not killed by the side characters but Vegeta and piccolo. Krillian killed a couple sabamen I guess?

It's why Piccolo is my favorite character. Goku lets enemies live. Piccolo? He just kills. And even the movies he doesn't do mercy. Probably my favorite henchmen kill is Lord Slug when he blows up that squad who tries to take out Gohan, and then grabs one of them and flings them right into the light.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well my point is if winning is all you care about the side characters have never done poo poo.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Well for me it's because I actually watched Dragonball and liked Tien and Krillin and Piccolo. I mean Piccolo/Goku fight was bad rear end and so was Tien/Goku. So yeah it kinda is nice that Tien still can do things. I mean goddamn him managing to at least keep cell at bay for a bit (even though unfortunately it was for naught) was pretty drat badass.

And then they let him have some limelight in ROF which was drat cool as well.

Hell I think ROF is the only time Krillin doesn't up being a punching bag.

edit: Pretty much what the above poster said. If they had goons/henchmen Krillin/Tien shine which they should do more.

Krillin and Piccolo fought Nappa for a good long time until Goku showed up. I'd just like more of THAT.. a guy they can hit and make bleed but probably not kill, but they're still helping at the end of the day rather than sitting on the sidelines.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well my point is if winning is all you care about the side characters have never done poo poo.

Oh no, I don't care about winning. They never won :v:. Its just nice to see them not be useless and actually contribute.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Ssj3 looks badass

sure, if you think having a whole lotta bananas growing out of your head looks badass

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SSJ3 looks ridiculous and ostentatious and is ridiculous and ostentatious. There's a reason it was never once used in the mainline series to win a real fight

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Buu Saga was silly, there were FOUR distinct power ups that didn't solve anything, then Goku did a Spirit Bomb.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What if you think bananas on your head would look badass and be badass 'cos free and easy bananas but that SSJ3 sucks.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dias posted:

Buu Saga was silly, there were FOUR distinct power ups that didn't solve anything, then Goku did a Spirit Bomb.

SS3, Fusion, and Ultimate/Mystic? Or are you counting Potara and the dance as separate?

Also, I dislike SS3 but Super Trunks is my favorite transformation ever so basically I'm a huge hypocrite.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 24, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

projecthalaxy posted:

SS3, Fusion, and Ultimate/Mystic? Or are you counting Potara and the dance as separate?

Counting Potara and dance as separate things, yeah.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh I read that wrong. nvm.

I was like they are different because of reasons but I misread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Buu Saga was the right kind of silly

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

they did in dragon ball, back when the tournaments were a big focus. well, except yamcha I guess but that's yamcha. tien and roshi have both beat goku before tho, and krillin got to have some wins as well and his loses weren't just "well it's krillin" yet. piccolo is where they stopped mattering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Even counting the tourneys they barely did poo poo. It has always been the Goku show and it always will be.

• Locked thread