Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

where's the best place to get rid of my old broken 5s? it's got a busted logic board or something so doesn't work at all, and I want to recycle it rather than having it sitting around. it's still got data on it (apps, photos, etc.) but I'm assuming it's inaccessible due to the phone being broken; there's no way I can see to wipe it myself before getting rid of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

where's the best place to get rid of my old broken 5s? it's got a busted logic board or something so doesn't work at all, and I want to recycle it rather than having it sitting around. it's still got data on it (apps, photos, etc.) but I'm assuming it's inaccessible due to the phone being broken; there's no way I can see to wipe it myself before getting rid of it

Apple Stores will take it for ya. Either that or a landfill..

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Lady Gaza posted:

Give it to Liam

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was looking at the LTE bands, and the SE changes things around again. Once again, the Sprint model is the special snowflake in the US, and Band 30 is absent from the AT&T model, which doesn't seem like it was a big deal on the special snowflake AT&T 6s.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Endless Mike posted:

I was looking at the LTE bands,

Why?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Curiosity?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ordered mine from the uk store this morning, although its saying it wont be delivered for another two weeks. 😟

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

Send it to Gazelle and get 5-10 bucks in Amazon credit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The screen on my 6+ is acting up, doesn't always accept touch input after it unlocks (physical buttons work fine). Any chance before I head down to the fruit stand that this is something software related? Happened both pre/post 9.3 update.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

The screen on my 6+ is acting up, doesn't always accept touch input after it unlocks (physical buttons work fine). Any chance before I head down to the fruit stand that this is something software related? Happened both pre/post 9.3 update.

How many fingers have you got scanned in? I had five and it was really sketchy. Dropped it back to 2 and it was much faster. Worth a try before you bring it out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

IPhone 7 will have a hardware keyboard.

Apple could make slider phones fashionable again

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, Apple will incorporate that braille tech that's been making the rounds, the screen will literally bulge up to create a keyboard for you.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How many fingers have you got scanned in? I had five and it was really sketchy. Dropped it back to 2 and it was much faster. Worth a try before you bring it out.

If software supports a feature you shouldn't be okay with it being broken, especially on like an $800 device.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

If software supports a feature you shouldn't be okay with it being broken, especially on like an $800 device.

It worked, it was just a lot slower.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It worked, it was just a lot slower.

I've only 2 fingers, and it's not like it's slow, it's like "I will never accept touch input"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Maneki Neko posted:

There's a chance that a restore could fix it, it's an issue that's been off-and-on since iOS8. I haven't seen it personally on my 6+ since 9.2, but I still see it on an iPad4 on 9.3. It also happened on an old iPhone 5, but that was deemed hardware as the battery was bulging into the screen. So, it's an issue that could be hardware or software. A restore is going to be part of the diagnostic process anyway, so you might as well do one before taking the trip.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Endless Mike posted:

I was looking at the LTE bands, and the SE changes things around again. Once again, the Sprint model is the special snowflake in the US, and Band 30 is absent from the AT&T model, which doesn't seem like it was a big deal on the special snowflake AT&T 6s.

Am I reading right that the 6s has every band so that there's only one version?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm thinking about getting the SE solely because the quick as hell TouchID introduces more problems than it solves for me. I just want to wake my screen up so I can pause music or skip a track, not unlock the poo poo. I wish I could create a safeguard where if there's music playing or headphones in the jack that I don't have to worry about the phone unlocking when I wake it up.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Sleep/wake button is there for a reason, broheim. No need to get a smaller phone worse in every way to solve that problem.

v or this

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm thinking about getting the SE solely because the quick as hell TouchID introduces more problems than it solves for me. I just want to wake my screen up so I can pause music or skip a track, not unlock the poo poo. I wish I could create a safeguard where if there's music playing or headphones in the jack that I don't have to worry about the phone unlocking when I wake it up.

Touch the button on only a portion so your whole finger isn't covering the sensor works fine for me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Touch the button on only a portion so your whole finger isn't covering the sensor works fine for me

Remember what happened last time when it was suggested people were holding their phone wrong?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

Am I reading right that the 6s has every band so that there's only one version?

No. There's two versions of the 6S in the US: 1) AT&T, 2) Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, unlocked. The AT&T model has one extra band, Band 30, which AT&T is apparently rolling out in very limited areas. It also has all the CDMA stuff, so both models will work on all carriers now that both Sprint and Verizon are allowing unlocked phones on their network.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just upgraded to a 64GB SE on a 2 year Sprint contract and it was, in fact, $49.99! :hellyeah:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I gotta say... I think I still would rather have my 6S than an SE, but... having an SE and $250 is really tempting. We'll see how the 4" models shake out in the next couple years when it's upgrade time.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

fourwood posted:

I gotta say... I think I still would rather have my 6S than an SE, but... having an SE and $250 is really tempting. We'll see how the 4" models shake out in the next couple years when it's upgrade time.

IMO the larger screen size, better Touch ID, and image stabilization are worth that $250 on a device I use every day. Plus that's only '$250' if you plan on #1. buying the phone unsubsidized and 2. keeping the phone forever, which doesn't fit most people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think I could go back down a size, and I was someone who really wasn't sure about the jump up to the 6 size. I'm glad the phone exists though, it looks cool and I'm sure it'll be popular.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 5s is the nicest phone ever made imo so if I was ever gonna get a second smaller phone I'd go straight for that SE

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually, the 5s is only the second nicest phone ever made. The 5 in Slate Grey is the nicest phone ever made. It just only stays that way for approximately 10 minutes after being removed from the box.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

Remember what happened last time when it was suggested people were holding their phone wrong?
People got free cases! :dance:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Bumpers

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone having problems updating apps? Mine are hanging on download and then stopping-if I stop it I press update again and half the time it tries again and other times it just resets to update.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bumpers were cool. There, I said it.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

nwin posted:

Anyone having problems updating apps? Mine are hanging on download and then stopping-if I stop it I press update again and half the time it tries again and other times it just resets to update.

No problems here, 6s+ 9.3

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
New iPhone... Amazeballs

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kaizoku posted:

There's a chance that a restore could fix it, it's an issue that's been off-and-on since iOS8. I haven't seen it personally on my 6+ since 9.2, but I still see it on an iPad4 on 9.3. It also happened on an old iPhone 5, but that was deemed hardware as the battery was bulging into the screen. So, it's an issue that could be hardware or software. A restore is going to be part of the diagnostic process anyway, so you might as well do one before taking the trip.

I guess just in case anyone else is having the same issue, genius bar guy looked at it and swapped it out on the spot, said it's very common and was surprised it's not yet a recall (which seems a bit hyperbolic, but hey, I don't swap out phones all day).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They probably won't do a recall because battery swelling has been a thing that's been happening for a few years and it's somewhat random whether it happens or not.

They'll just straight up replace the phone no questions asked any time someone brings a bulging phone in.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

xzzy posted:

They probably won't do a recall because battery swelling has been a thing that's been happening for a few years and it's somewhat random whether it happens or not.

They'll just straight up replace the phone no questions asked any time someone brings a bulging phone in.

My phone wasn't bulging at all, just touch screen would randomly not work. The "I see this all the time" comment was in response to that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

nwin posted:

I've had that for ages...but 9.3 seems ok so far. If you're on 9.3 then :smithicide:

I did notice in storage (in Settings) no longer shows blank apps, so I don't know if it cleared them out or what though. If they're still there I guess it figured out the parent apps, but I don't know if it means I have some zombie app data there or what now. I remember some of those partial app updates eventually making the app disappear but leaving the data there, so everything was restored if you remembered the missing app.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

japtor posted:

I've had that for ages...but 9.3 seems ok so far. If you're on 9.3 then :smithicide:

I did notice in storage (in Settings) no longer shows blank apps, so I don't know if it cleared them out or what though. If they're still there I guess it figured out the parent apps, but I don't know if it means I have some zombie app data there or what now. I remember some of those partial app updates eventually making the app disappear but leaving the data there, so everything was restored if you remembered the missing app.

It was fine until I updated to 9.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tried restarting?