Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:allears:

Really hope the solo Wonder Woman film will be good. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

teagone posted:

They really sold the scene where this picture appears in BvS; the music rising up and Affleck's shocked face when he sees the picture. It really felt like something out of this world had come true and it's hard to process even for men who have seen some poo poo in their day.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Chimin in with my Hot Fuzz avatar to agree that Edgar Wright owns. A lot of people get caught up on the nerd trappings in Scott Pilgrim but I like that movie just as much as the Cornettos for many of the same reasons (plus it's a comic movie so it's relevant to this thread!). Although the last few fights are rushed and weaker than the first few.

Scott Pilgrim is the only decent criticism of the millenial generation the world has ever seen; that didn't immediately devolve into "lol why are they checkin their PHONES all the time wake up SHEEPLE"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kush posted:

They really sold the scene where this picture appears in BvS; the music rising up and Affleck's shocked face when he sees the picture. It really felt like something out of this world had come true and it's hard to process even for men who have seen some poo poo in their day.

Speaking of, it warms my heart to see Momoa so loving PUMPED for Justice League

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDRrC1GPHIY/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

I honestly don't see why it won't

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

Because the script is a loving mess.

So the consequences for the world nearly ending is that Tony Stark has fewer Facebook friends. I'm so glad there was a two and a half hour, 300 million dollar movie with bucketloads of expensive fight scenes about this.

So you are just handwaving away the reading that would give those parts meaning with arguments that would get you laughed out of other threads?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

teagone posted:

Oh man, that's a Tirailleur Sénégalais and a Zouave (and maybe a native american?), this is going to be loving great.

Speaking of WWI comic book movies, anyone like Luc Besson's Adèle Blanc-Sec movie? I had some troubles with it, because he took a pretty dark comic series (it includes WWI at some point, in all it's butchery), and turned it a funny adventure (sort-of trying for a French Indiana Jones, I guess). And that's a legitimate idea and not necessarily a bad movie, but the disconnect was pretty strong throughout for me.

And now Luc Besson next's project is another adaptation of a comic series I love, Valérian Space-TIme Agent, and I'm both pretty hype (it is closer in style to the Fifthe Element, so it might be great) but a bit worried a the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhmCHnNcWs

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

So you are just handwaving away the reading that would give those parts meaning with arguments that would get you laughed out of other threads?

Not really. You haven't told me their meaning. Just their existence. "They would be less popular" is not a meaning, that's a consequence, like someone being dead. Why does that matter? What would change if they were popular? What changes going forward now that they're not.

In a series of films where they've specifically operated outside of any mandate, either public or governmental pretty much since the beginning, why is popularity/public approval suddenly a thing that has inherent weight? It pops up right at the end of the first Avengers movie, the first time any of them are publicly acknowledged, then is irrelevant the rest of the time.

It's comparable to the "SHIELD is completely gone, oh, wait, we found some helicarriers."

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 24, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Speaking of WWI comic book movies, anyone like Luc Besson's Adèle Blanc-Sec movie? I had some troubles with it, because he took a pretty dark comic series (it includes WWI at some point, in all it's butchery), and turned it a funny adventure (sort-of trying for a French Indiana Jones, I guess). And that's a legitimate idea and not necessarily a bad movie, but the disconnect was pretty strong throughout for me.

And now Luc Besson next's project is another adaptation of a comic series I love, Valérian Space-TIme Agent, and I'm both pretty hype (it is closer in style to the Fifthe Element, so it might be great) but a bit worried a the same time.

Watching Lucy and Malavita has rejuvenated my love for Besson, so thank you for bringing this to my attention. I haven't checked if the Tomb Raider discussion in the Greenlighted thread is still going on, but this would kinda fit :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Watching Lucy and Malavita has rejuvenated my love for Besson, so thank you for bringing this to my attention. I haven't checked if the Tomb Raider discussion in the Greenlighted thread is still going on, but this would kinda fit :v:

Unfortunately, the discussion has veered hard into BvS territory.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I honestly don't see why it won't

The guy writing it is the one who wrote Ice Age:Continental Drift and Pan yes this Pan. Nevermind if they take this route it maybe good.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was hoping Elizabeth Debicki would be Miss Marvel.

She is too tall for the big screen, is it not big enough!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

She mentions in BvS that she left "the world of man" for 100 years since that photo was taken so I'm guessing that's an indication that the Wonder Woman standalone film will be pretty goddamned dour, at least towards the end, if it makes her react that way.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I loved the Adèle Blanc-Sec film, she's pretty much a female early 20th century Indiana Jones mixed with the sense of humour from the Tintin comics. They're apparently planning two other films.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She mentions in BvS that she left "the world of man" for 100 years since that photo was taken so I'm guessing that's an indication that the Wonder Woman standalone film will be pretty goddamned dour, at least towards the end, if it makes her react that way.

She comes back, though. So it wasn't a complete downer.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Given that World War I isn't the "fun" war that can really be boiled down to "good guys and bad guys" the way World War II has been glamorized, it wouldn't be out of place for the movie to end on a dour note. Although I believe it's been reported that Wonder Woman will have bookend scenes in the modern day that will put her specifically in place for Justice League. So her movie is "Diana remembering what drove her out of Man's World for a century", with the end likely signalling what made her come back.

It'll be interesting if the vengeful way the war's end played out politically is what makes her go "oh gently caress off" and vanish back to Themyscira for a hundred years.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Cameo posted:

Given that World War I isn't the "fun" war that can really be boiled down to "good guys and bad guys" the way World War II has been glamorized, it wouldn't be out of place for the movie to end on a dour note. Although I believe it's been reported that Wonder Woman will have bookend scenes in the modern day that will put her specifically in place for Justice League. So her movie is "Diana remembering what drove her out of Man's World for a century", with the end likely signalling what made her come back.

It'll be interesting if the vengeful way the war's end played out politically is what makes her go "oh gently caress off" and vanish back to Themyscira for a hundred years.

Thanks for letting WW II happen, Wonder Woman!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I loved the Adèle Blanc-Sec film, she's pretty much a female early 20th century Indiana Jones mixed with the sense of humour from the Tintin comics. They're apparently planning two other films.

Yeah, but like I said the comic is... very much not that.

It's by french artist Jacques Tardi, who is... well, cynical is a way of describing him. He did a lot of stuff on WWI, especially focuse don the stupid butchery and the terribleness of the leadership and the pointlessness of the war.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, but like I said the comic is... very much not that.

It's by french artist Jacques Tardi, who is... well, cynical is a way of describing him. He did a lot of stuff on WWI, especially focuse don the stupid butchery and the terribleness of the leadership and the pointlessness of the war.

I've been meaning to pick up the comics for years now but my high school French isn't anywhere good enough for me to read the comics in their original language and I'm having a heck of a time finding affordable English translations (postage rates to this side of the world suck). I'll get around to it one day. :(

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Crosspost from the BvS thread:

I saw BvS yesterday.

The pacing felt a bit weird, like thepokey said. Lots of short scenes in the first hour or so that jump between the different characters, and it does so in a way I found mildly incohesive. Batfleck was great, Wonder Woman stole the show, Fishburns Perry White was pretty funny (in that he channeled Perry White about as well as J.K simmons did JJ), and Lois Lane was her usual spunky self. Jeremy Irons as a sassy fed up Butler was great too, he's too tired of the stick up Batmans rear end and just wants him to settle down. Eisenbergs Luthor was a bit..off? Like he was menacingly goofy or goofingly menacing, but it was just too much of a Silicon Valley dork to take seriously. If they'd changed his dialogue a bit and toned down the weirdness it'd been way better.

The jar of piss bit was pretty funny though.

The story itself had its ups and downs. I think Snyder is portraying Batman as a person who's totally broken down and completely pushed over the edge by what happens in Metropolis, hence why he's so easily duped by Luthor. I did find it a bit silly that he was so willing to give in to his rage that he was played like a pawn so easily, and when Superman actually wants to talk to him Batmans response is to puff his chest and start poo poo. The titular fight between BvS was way shorter than expected. The whole movie builds up to this moment, and it's over in a few minutes. Sad! And a bit anticlimactic. The fight should have been a few minutes longer, I felt.
I do like that the reason it ends is because of Martha, tying the end of the fight back to the scene with the Wayne murders. When you get down to it, Bruce and Clark are enormous mama's boys, so them bonding and teaming up over that is quite fitting.
The trinity fighting Doomsday was awesome, and Wonder Woman was fantastic!
I do find the ending a bit dumb though, with Superman dying and all. I feel like they expect us to care but we have only had one movie with this Superman, and it was only 2 movies ago he "died" too, different continuities notwithstanding, so I kinda wish they'd saved that for the next movie or something. I also felt Batmans nightmare scene was superwierd and came out of nowhere. Especially the cameo immediately following.

Random thoughts:
The Jesus references continue. Batman makes a Kryptonite spear, and cuts superman with it, echoing Jesus being stabbed with the spear of Longinus. Superman later uses the spear to kill Doomsday (who was created by Lex's blood) to save the world and gives his life in the process, again echoing Jesus dying for mans sin. Also plenty of references of Gods, I guess Snyder thought he was being subtle in MoS.

Tons of foreshadowing. We had cameos of other heroes, but more importantly, during Batmans vision/nightmare, we saw Parademons, a giant Omega, as well as firepits. In addition to that, we had what looked like a motherbox being put into Victor Stone. Also, the final scene with Lex, he says that a bell has been rung, and it cannot be unrung, and goes "Ding ding ding ding ding". That's the sound of a motherbox, I think. Either Lex learned of some pretty interesting stuff while on the kryptonian ship, or he had other sources. Also, Flash is time traveling. Real weird.

I also found it funny that this was pretty much TDKR in reverse. Batman is the stooge that's being duped, Superman is the heroic character that dies, except when he's buried you start hearing his heartbeats. It was a subtle reference to Bruce's own burial in TDKR.

All in all, a pretty good movie. Go see it.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 24, 2016

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Wonder Woman, Hippolyta, and her teachers!

Fingers crossed!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo, Robin Wright is going to loving own how is this the first time I hear she's in WW?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

McCloud posted:

Crosspost from the BvS thread:

I saw BvS yesterday.

Thanks for the opinion. I think you should un-spoil (de-spoil?) your recommendation at the end so people could read it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

First image from the Wonder Woman movie is out.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Vintersorg posted:

Clearly, not enough ergogenics were taken for these roles.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Boob armor best armor

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Not as cool as penis helmet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_helmet#/media/File:Corinthian_helmet_Denda_Staatliche_Antikensammlungen_4330.jpg

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
We can't see if her ancient sandals have heels.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

rakovsky maybe posted:

We can't see if her ancient sandals have heels.

Second from the right looks to be wearing wedges. Too low res to tell for sure.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
BvS was absolutely loving amazing. I suggest you all go and see it and gently caress the haters

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

BvS was absolutely loving amazing. I suggest you all go and see it and gently caress the haters

I was kinda bummed by all the naysaying but someone in (I think the BvS thread) posted a review that called the movie "operatic" and that got me excited again. Seeing it Saturday.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

What are your thoughts on Man of Steel?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

I was kinda bummed by all the naysaying but someone in (I think the BvS thread) posted a review that called the movie "operatic" and that got me excited again. Seeing it Saturday.

I am too, but I'm not expecting much at this point. I liked MoS though so who knows!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Pirate Jet posted:

Scott Pilgrim is the only decent criticism of the millenial generation the world has ever seen; that didn't immediately devolve into "lol why are they checkin their PHONES all the time wake up SHEEPLE"

I didn't interpret it as specifically as that, I thought it was more of a criticism of that stage in life almost everyone goes through where you're selfish as gently caress and don't know how to do relationships. I think that crosses generational lines and isn't really about Milennials despite the video game poo poo.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

I didn't interpret it as specifically as that, I thought it was more of a criticism of that stage in life almost everyone goes through where you're selfish as gently caress and don't know how to do relationships. I think that crosses generational lines and isn't really about Milennials despite the video game poo poo.

The "video game poo poo" is just as prevalent in tee movie as all the other media poo poo, I'd say the movie makes way more references to musician culture than it ever does to video games. The video games are in there because SPvtW doesn't shy away from the fact that video games are a common part of millennial life because "ew, video games!"

SPvtW is very specifically about the way media worship and nerd ideology have ruined young relationships. Pretty much all of the answers to Scott's problems are in anti-capitalist feminism - his relationship with Ramona only succeeds once he stops putting her on a pedestal and realizes he needs to love her WITH her flaws, not DESPITE them. Same goes for admitting he cheated on Knives, and that it wasn't okay just because he saw Ramona as his ~*dream girl.*~ If you want to take it even more literal, all of the exes are media moguls or super fans themselves - a fashionista, an actor, an otaku, DJs, rival bassist, and the CEO of a record label. It's an obvious metaphor for comparing yourself to your SO's exes yourself, and Scott's question of "what makes me better than them?" has the answer, at first, of "not much," hence the whole hints of him becoming another ex - which only changes once he disillusions himself from the hype train and learns to look at media critically.

I value Wright a lot because I feel like he's one of the very few artists in general who's able to talk about millennials without always just going "why they be textin all the time!?" and SPvtW is pretty much the apex of that ethos. I didn't like The World's End for the same reasons, though I have to admit I might not have fully understood it - I feel like the ending was a regression to "technology is POISONING our YOUTH!" and Gary seems to be able to live out his childish fantasies anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

It triggers me to no end that this image is cropped.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

‘Batman V. Superman’ Promotion Urges Filmgoers To "Just Get This Over With"

LOS ANGELES—Promising that it would be best to just buy a ticket and take care of the unpleasantness right away, a new Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice promotional campaign launched this week reportedly urged filmgoers to simply get this whole thing over with. “Listen, you all knew this day was coming, so just go sit your rear end in the theater, stare up at the IMAX screen for a couple hours, and be done with this poo poo once and for all,” said Warner Brothers marketing strategist Elizabeth Harris, who encouraged fans to make plans with friends right now so they could all bite the loving bullet over opening weekend. “You know you can’t put this off forever, so just suck it up and plow through this thing as quickly as possible. Listen, you’re going to have to pay the piper now or at some point down the road on a commercial flight or during a broadcast on TNT, so you might as well just pony up the extra 10 bucks for 3D and never think about it again.” At press time, Warner Brothers had reportedly kicked off a last-minute Batman V. Superman media blitz in major markets advising audiences to just bend over and take it like a champ.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's not the first image from the movie, there's been a ton of images and clips

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Pirate Jet posted:

The "video game poo poo" is just as prevalent in tee movie as all the other media poo poo, I'd say the movie makes way more references to musician culture than it ever does to video games. The video games are in there because SPvtW doesn't shy away from the fact that video games are a common part of millennial life because "ew, video games!"

SPvtW is very specifically about the way media worship and nerd ideology have ruined young relationships. Pretty much all of the answers to Scott's problems are in anti-capitalist feminism - his relationship with Ramona only succeeds once he stops putting her on a pedestal and realizes he needs to love her WITH her flaws, not DESPITE them. Same goes for admitting he cheated on Knives, and that it wasn't okay just because he saw Ramona as his ~*dream girl.*~ If you want to take it even more literal, all of the exes are media moguls or super fans themselves - a fashionista, an actor, an otaku, DJs, rival bassist, and the CEO of a record label. It's an obvious metaphor for comparing yourself to your SO's exes yourself, and Scott's question of "what makes me better than them?" has the answer, at first, of "not much," hence the whole hints of him becoming another ex - which only changes once he disillusions himself from the hype train and learns to look at media critically.

I value Wright a lot because I feel like he's one of the very few artists in general who's able to talk about millennials without always just going "why they be textin all the time!?" and SPvtW is pretty much the apex of that ethos. I didn't like The World's End for the same reasons, though I have to admit I might not have fully understood it - I feel like the ending was a regression to "technology is POISONING our YOUTH!" and Gary seems to be able to live out his childish fantasies anyways.

I'm not seeing the connection between the relationship problems and the attachment to media. I don't remember seeing Scott look at media critically, he just becomes disillusioned with the recording industry and his fantasies of what success looks like. The relationship problems arise, as you said, due to him comparing himself to her exes and being kinda emotionally stunted. The media references are there to be a distraction to Scott and a way to remain unengaged with Ramona and Knives, but not in a specifically Millennial way. They're avatars of his self-obsession. He's able to change once he realizes that he's setting an impossible benchmark for himself (because the exes he's up against are idealized versions of them) and that he needs to actually like who he is before he can love someone else. I really like what you said about him learning to love someone with their flaws and not despite them.

As for The World's End, I like it specifically because it's such an ambivalent movie. It's not taking a hard stance which I found refreshing (but would come off as weak or wishy-washy in less assured hands). It's simultaneously skeptical of the corporate "Starbucking" phenomenon removing individuality from culture but also wary of people like Gary who tear things down just because they can. Plus Gary is extremely hypocritical because he defines himself based on the bands he listens, his all-black Goth uniform, and gently caress-you attitude which is just another kind of conformity. It's also about stunted emotional development kind of like Scott Pilgrim but the consequences are much more dire with Gary's multiple suicide attempts and near-death of his friend. The ending wasn't so much "let's get rid of technology" it was "let's get rid of the mindset that we have to be defined by what we're told is cool or good." That's true individuality; the characters are allowed to finally lead the lives they had been striving for under capitalism but were unable to achieve. The ending also shows that people with Gary's anarchist impulses have value to society if channeled the right way. Yeah Gary remains a childish dick but he at least does the right thing by removing himself from Andy's life because he sees how damaging he is to other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Garry Shandling, aka Senator Stern from Iron-Man 2 and The Winter Soldier, apparently passed away today.

drat shame we'll never get to see him tell Stark to go gently caress himself ever again :(

• Locked thread