Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sarmhan posted:

This isn't a fight card. This is Tail Slash.

True. I still think it's not going to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I think you're just wrong. Green is the best color for this effect, and this is the cheapest version of it we've had. The only competitor is Savage Punch/Epic Confrontation, which were both fantastic.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Tail Slash and Fall of the Hammer were both pretty high picks, and green having generally beefier creatures than red means this is probably pretty good in limited.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

sarmhan posted:

New cards:

Strictly better savage surge, the best trick we've seen so far.

Common support for that U/R spell deck they want to be draftable. Only needs 1 spell to be solid, but gets silly very rapidly. Also very scary to block.
Also, I'm calling this Hot Dog forever.

Both Common too.

Aim High targeting Pyre Hound is gonna eat a lot of attackers in this format.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sarmhan posted:

I think you're just wrong. Green is the best color for this effect, and this is the cheapest version of it we've had. The only competitor is Savage Punch/Epic Confrontation, which were both fantastic.

That was my point earlier though. Those cards were so good because they pumped your guy as well.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

what's the current recommended card album/binder type thing?

I need to get into trading instead of hoarding and I need something that fits in a laptop bag I can take with me. I don't have too many actually valuable tradeworthy cards so I don't need like a big 256 page 3-ring binder type thing, but I don't wanna get some piece of poo poo at target that's going to fall apart either.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Prey Upon was always pretty good in the limited formats it was in, right? And one-way damage for an extra mana is a pretty good trade.

Unnatural Aggression was mostly bad because 3 mana is just a bit much for no p/t boost and green's creatures just weren't especially big in BFZ, not reliably bigger than other colors' creatures anyway.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Entropic posted:

Prey Upon was always pretty good in the limited formats it was in, right? And one-way damage for an extra mana is a pretty good trade.
Prey upon was very good in Innistrad yes. This is probably even better. Fall of the Hammer and Tail slash were first-pick quality in their formats, and again this is in the better color that otherwise gets no removal. This is easily the best green common so far, and likely the best period.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Telex posted:

I need to get into trading instead of hoarding and I need something that fits in a laptop bag I can take with me. I don't have too many actually valuable tradeworthy cards so I don't need like a big 256 page 3-ring binder type thing, but I don't wanna get some piece of poo poo at target that's going to fall apart either.

I just use a half inch binder I had around and some cards pages :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Telex posted:

This is pretty easy actually.

If you have the space
http://www.amazon.com/BCW-Z-Folio-Zipper-Portfolio-Playset/dp/B00YG78KUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458853008&sr=8-1&keywords=bcw+binder

If you don't
http://www.amazon.com/BCW-Playset-PRO-FOLIO-Premium-Leatherette/dp/B00W4N6ENI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458853008&sr=8-2&keywords=bcw+binder

BCW simply makes the best everything but sleeves for your money these days. Don't buy the "Four" brand poo poo, it sucks.

Edit, I used this for my trade stuff for years

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-PRO-Binder-4-Pocket-Black/dp/B0094J1PJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458853236&sr=8-1&keywords=mtg+binder

It also wasn't bad and is probably the smallest and easiest to find.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 24, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

That was my point earlier though. Those cards were so good because they pumped your guy as well.

Yeah but not taking the damage in return is preeeeety good.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Rounding out the Welcome Deck spoilers:

cobblebrute again

Another vanilla creature. This one is at least tribally relevant.

A potential madness enabler? It also helps you cast more spells for that draft U/R prowess deck.

EDIT: I lied

1 mana over kill shot in exchange for gaining 3 life, seems reasonable in a controlling deck.

Here's the glorious charge variant for those token decks.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 24, 2016

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

sarmhan posted:

Prey upon was very good in Innistrad yes. This is probably even better. Fall of the Hammer and Tail slash were first-pick quality in their formats, and again this is in the better color that otherwise gets no removal. This is easily the best green common so far, and likely the best period.

I don't think we've seen any common removal spells so far that are this good, except maybe fiery temper. This will be a high pick in draft.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

I don't think we've seen any common removal spells so far that are this good, except maybe fiery temper. This will be a high pick in draft.
There's dead weight, but yes, this is will be first picked fairly often unless green is somehow undraftable again, which seems unlikely.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Almost kind of sort of not quite black tooth and nail

E: I miss unburial rites

"Till Death Do We Part was merely a formality."

Trilas posted:

Is that a mouth growing out of the side of his head?

Gives "In one ear, out the other" an entirely new :gonk: meaning.

St. Traft is the hardest working ghostman in the WWE plane.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

One probably final one:

More expensive, but easier to cast claustrophobia. Still probably good.

CAN'T WAKE UP

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 24, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

It's 2 mana tail slash how do you figure that's not great in limited.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

It's 2 mana tail slash how do you figure that's not great in limited.

Tail Slash was an instant for one. That was a big part of what made it good. I just think this is a 4th or 5th pick and not a 1st.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Tail Slash was an instant for one. That was a big part of what made it good. I just think this is a 4th or 5th pick and not a 1st.

Uh tail slash was 3 mana, pretty sure.

unless i've actually made up a card in my head

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Quite a few of the werewolves seem to have high power too, which helps the card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A big flaming stink posted:

Uh tail slash was 3 mana, pretty sure.

unless i've actually made up a card in my head

You didn't, the 2 mana version is a card from not so popular set Born of the Gods called Fall of the Hammer.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Can block, not a true Pacifist 0/10 :colbert:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Pacifist on the play in limited is gonna be real good if your opponent doesn't have a two-drop in their grip.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sarmhan posted:

A potential madness enabler? It also helps you cast more spells for that draft U/R prowess deck.

Im going to draft a million of these I swear.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sarmhan posted:

Im going to draft a million of these I swear.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Zephirum posted:

Can block, not a true Pacifist 0/10 :colbert:

but a 0/10 would be a pretty great pacifist

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Oh hey a card with Tamiyo pictured on it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Glade Watcher was pretty decent, the pacifist probably has an easier time attacking and can get bigger.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Elyv posted:

I don't get the flavor here. She's a pacifist until she has someone strong on her side?

Wolf in sheep's clothing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dungeon Ecology posted:

but a 0/10 would be a pretty great pacifist

Karn was a pacifist except he was cool with punching planeswalkers in the face:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Pacifist into wolf anthem, swing 4, into Arlinn seems ok.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Pacifist into wolf anthem, swing 4, into Arlinn seems ok.

That sounds really slow, if they kill your Pacifist you aren't putting any pressure down until turn 4.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

sarmhan posted:

Rounding out the Welcome Deck spoilers:

Another vanilla creature. This one is at least tribally relevant.

Barony Vampire

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
dies to rabid bite

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dragon enthusiast posted:

Wolf in sheep's clothing

:vince:
I love this set.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

That is bizarre they didn't just reuse that especially since the names basically suggest the same thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I guess the Barony in the name is too much of a flavour tie to Baron Sengir or something.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

That is bizarre they didn't just reuse that especially since the names basically suggest the same thing.

I don't know if there are any barons on innistrad but also barony and vampire tend to point toward ulgrotha

Also it's so [name coverage people you dislike] save face because they won't mispronounce it as buh-RONI vampire

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's been weirder ones. Like how they absolutely couldn't use Searing Spear for Theros for some reason, it had to be Lightning Strike, after they just made an FNM promo of Searing Spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

There's been weirder ones. Like how they absolutely couldn't use Searing Spear for Theros for some reason, it had to be Lightning Strike, after they just made an FNM promo of Searing Spear.

My recent favorite is Weave Fate

like, are people on Tarkir incapable of Inspiration

• Locked thread