Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/ella posted:

Ella built her life around her wants: she lives by the beach, works a couple of weekends a month teaching workshops and spends lots of time with her horses.

Oh dear, crosspost with the BWM thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Does she have tiny horses to match the tiny house? Like tiny enough that she carries them in her purse like a chihuahua?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Does she have tiny horses to match the tiny house? Like tiny enough that she carries them in her purse like a chihuahua?

Full size horses. They pull the tiny house from lot to lot.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

They're not all like that. http://www.countryliving.com/home-design/g1887/tiny-house/

Obviously the nicer ones are more expensive, but being 1/10th to 1/4th the size of a typical house, with needing less land, means it does cost a lot less. And it won't sink into the frozen sea, leaving only bubbles from the bubblers in its wake.

That article has a house that is 1375 sqft, which seems to me like a perfectly normal house, and then 196 sqft with three people and a Great Dane in it.

My house is 790 sqft (albeit with a full basement, so the useable space is a lot more than any of those) so apparently I qualify as a tiny house owner. The only reason it was affordable is because it had a tiny lot, though, and no municipality is zoning lots this small anymore.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Full size horses. They pull the tiny house from lot to lot.

From her blog (linked from the article) she also bought a puppy then had to give it up when it became violent and antisocial. Imagine that!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I could totally get on that tiny house/living in a van by choice instead of out of poverty like Daniel Norris thing, except I want to have a life with other people in it.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12420393/top-blue-jays-prospect-daniel-norris-lives-own-code

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Can the OP post again and let us know the state of his houseboat dreams? There have been a lot of supportive posts in these recent times of trouble waters after his last few posts

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Moneyball posted:

I could totally get on that tiny house/living in a van by choice instead of out of poverty like Daniel Norris thing, except I want to have a life with other people in it.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12420393/top-blue-jays-prospect-daniel-norris-lives-own-code

:staredog: what a weird dude.

If this guy can live his dream, OP, there's no reason you can't.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SarutosZero posted:

Can the OP post again and let us know the state of his houseboat dreams? There have been a lot of supportive posts in these recent times of trouble waters after his last few posts

Status is this:
No houseboat in site, now desperately looking for short term apartment that takes dogs since I burned bridges at my current place. Work is getting lovely too so I'm looking for a new job on top of everything else.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
OP how is your girlfriend though? At least that relationship isn't in murky waters right?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Veskit posted:

OP how is your girlfriend though? At least that relationship isn't in murky waters right?

Everything is good on that front. I showed her some houseboats and she is starting to come around to the idea. She'll be done with her masters in December and wants to move out of state so long term we may be looking for a houseboat somewhere on the West coast.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Everything is good on that front. I showed her some houseboats and she is starting to come around to the idea. She'll be done with her masters in December and wants to move out of state so long term we may be looking for a houseboat somewhere on the West coast.

Like a Seaboat?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Status is this:
No houseboat in site, now desperately looking for short term apartment that takes dogs since I burned bridges at my current place. Work is getting lovely too so I'm looking for a new job on top of everything else.

Yes, but at least you stood up for the basic principle of fairness!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They didnt have it singed or anything like that. It was just a form letter with my apartment number filled in and date to respond by. So I just took it and changed the amount, not fraudulent at all. If I'm expected to read every long winded legal agreement they send out they should have to read everything too.

You should probably do the same thing at work, too!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Related question: Can you take a houseboat through the Panama Canal?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

DuckConference posted:

Its actually required to get your home boat captain's license

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

DuckConference posted:

I would imagine they have laws like they do on the Mississippi. A friend built a huge raft and planned to sail from Chicago down the entire Mississippi but was stopped in Missouri because the raft couldn't go upstream something like 20 knots which meant if they got too close to a barge they would've been sucked under.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DuckConference posted:

Sure, but only chumps have houseboats limited by the Panamamax standards.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

flyboi posted:

A friend built a huge raft and planned to sail from Chicago down the entire Mississippi

Your friend kicks rear end.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Moey posted:

Your friend kicks rear end.

Your friend needs a 200 hp outboard motor next time.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Houseboating is pretty big in Seattle and a lot of goony loving weridos are getting hired here.

Edit: drool http://cooperjacobs.com/index.cfm?CFID=4167c05e-5671-44a1-8816-6a2b066c82b3&CFTOKEN=0&fuseaction=listing-home&startrow=9

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 30, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

As someone from a landlocked state that hasn't seen the ocean in like 5 years I just want to say I would totally live in a houseboat for a couple years, sounds loving rad.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Last day of your lease is today, BaseballPCHiker. Where are you going to live? Caves are damp, but warmer than living outdoors this time of year in Minnesota.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inept posted:

Last day of your lease is today, BaseballPCHiker. Where are you going to live? Caves are damp, but warmer than living outdoors this time of year in Minnesota.

I found a much shittier apartment that the girlfriend and I both hate. It's $200 a month cheaper but seems run down. Guess I'll see how it goes.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It's almost like living on a boat, but much better and actually saving you money.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Run down" as in not having appliances/countertops/etc as shiny and new as you'd like, or "run down" as in they don't seem to maintain their poo poo? The first is ok, the second is a problem. Both are better than living on a boat.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Pryor on Fire posted:

As someone from a landlocked state that hasn't seen the ocean in like 5 years I just want to say I would totally live in a houseboat for a couple years, sounds loving rad.

Move into a leaky singlewide down by the river, it's pretty much the same deal

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Haifisch posted:

"Run down" as in not having appliances/countertops/etc as shiny and new as you'd like, or "run down" as in they don't seem to maintain their poo poo? The first is ok, the second is a problem. Both are better than living on a boat.

If it's not actually sinking, I think it beats the boat.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I found a much shittier apartment that the girlfriend and I both hate. It's $200 a month cheaper but seems run down. Guess I'll see how it goes.

But think of the rent you're saving. Thats money that can go directly into the boat fund.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

OP what kind of lease did you sign? 6 Months? Year?

Did you know if you took that lease to the seas it'd be nullified because of maritime law? THat's a fact you should remember

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SarutosZero posted:

But think of the rent you're saving. Thats money that can go directly into the boat fund.

The $200 I'm saving is definitely not worth living in this place.

Veskit posted:

OP what kind of lease did you sign? 6 Months? Year?

Did you know if you took that lease to the seas it'd be nullified because of maritime law? THat's a fact you should remember

6 month lease, by fall boat prices should be down again and I'll have some more money saved up.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

BaseballPCHiker posted:

6 month lease, by fall boat prices should be down again and I'll have some more money saved up.

On that same note, now is the time to buy in- Pumpkin stocks are going to climb and climb till Halloween. Then sell right before that and reap the profits!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
"This year I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January.

Then bang! That's when I'll cash in"

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just looking at my savings and boat prices has got me pissed off again. This has got to be a slam dunk loan and yet no bank will even consider it! I could put close to 50% down at this point. The boat would be way more comfortable and roomy then this new place too. This has got me discouraged again. Equally BS is that when you read a lot of these houseboat blogs they all got loans during the crazy irresponsible banking years when they were loaning out money to anybody and those lucky and brave few have come out way ahead. I make a decent living, even if the whole boat sunk I could repay it fairly quickly.

Maybe I need to look into like lendingtree or those peer to peer banks.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned portable tiny houses. Those are the ones I hear about the most. Hitch it to your truck or w/e and chill at an RV park I guess. This company is well-known and probably more on the expensive end.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Just watch out for live-ins. You will get some live-ins.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just looking at my savings and boat prices has got me pissed off again. This has got to be a slam dunk loan and yet no bank will even consider it! I could put close to 50% down at this point. The boat would be way more comfortable and roomy then this new place too. This has got me discouraged again. Equally BS is that when you read a lot of these houseboat blogs they all got loans during the crazy irresponsible banking years when they were loaning out money to anybody and those lucky and brave few have come out way ahead. I make a decent living, even if the whole boat sunk I could repay it fairly quickly.

Save up more and get a small balance personal loan? Or pay cash.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Lol at the idea you could pay it off quickly if it sank but can't pay for it now without a loan.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Ideally, you want to keep your savings in case of emergency and finance the boat purchase. It may be worth waiting.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Maybe you could find a way to buy it in pieces

like buy the base now and just camp out on it and then when you save up the other 50% get someone to build the rest so then it would have everything you want

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Saving money by financing a boat at 10%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

Lol at the idea you could pay it off quickly if it sank but can't pay for it now without a loan.

OP has no concept of a sunk cost

• Locked thread