Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Sometimes Darkest Dungeon gives you a full party wipe that starts because your Occultist decides to heal 0 heath and give bleed to your Death's Door Reynaud when you're going for the "On the old road we found redemption" achievement...

and sometimes you kill the Hag and two shamblers in the same weald run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

holy poo poo did I underestimate champion quests

R.I.P Dismas, maybe I'll try for that achievment on new game plus instead.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rangpur posted:

holy poo poo did I underestimate champion quests

Yeah, the difficulty curve in this game is kinda jagged. I think part of the problem is that Apprentice teaches you bad habits about party composition and strategy, and it takes a long tome to fully break them.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I lost three people before reaching the Darkest Dungeon, and Dismas was one of them. Honestly if you want that achievement, you should probably bench him and Reynauld permanently after the intro quest, and drag them screaming into the finale at level 1.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I leveled them to 6, brought them to the finale, and sacrificed them, suckers. :smugdog:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, the difficulty curve in this game is kinda jagged. I think part of the problem is that Apprentice teaches you bad habits about party composition and strategy, and it takes a long tome to fully break them.
I'm not sure what those bad habits are, unless it's "don't go on champion quests without fully leveled equipment and skills." Dude got straight up wrecked--3 crits over 2 rounds.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Champion is basically the game you thought you were playing when you first started Darkest Dungeon. Clutch hits will whiff, people will get critted from full to death's door in a single turn, and your stuns won't stick. Having max skill, weapon, and armor upgrades along with some killer trinkets makes them manageable again, but you won't have that when your people first roll over to resolve 5.

You need to fund a Champion A-team with the Veterans you have left, and then fund the rest of your Champions with that A-team. I wouldn't even try short Champs until you have a team with full attack/stun skill and weapon upgrades. Armor can wait, it's mainly for speed and dodge which you can supplant with trinkets or buffs. And for God's sake stay out of the Ruins until you know what you're doing, that place is a deathtrap on Champion. The Weald is probably the easiest honestly, as long as you have high accuracy (because otherwise you will never hit the loving witches) and some way to get through PROT.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rangpur posted:

I'm not sure what those bad habits are, unless it's "don't go on champion quests without fully leveled equipment and skills." Dude got straight up wrecked--3 crits over 2 rounds.

Well, I mean that's one thing, but I found that I spent a lot of post-Apprentice time reworking teams and discovering how to keep threats dead or locked down reliably. You suddenly can't really afford to just wing it and tank tons of hits and heal it back with a Vestal anymore.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

Champion is basically the game you thought you were playing when you first started Darkest Dungeon. Clutch hits will whiff, people will get critted from full to death's door in a single turn, and your stuns won't stick. Having max skill, weapon, and armor upgrades along with some killer trinkets makes them manageable again, but you won't have that when your people first roll over to resolve 5.

You need to fund a Champion A-team with the Veterans you have left, and then fund the rest of your Champions with that A-team. I wouldn't even try short Champs until you have a team with full attack/stun skill and weapon upgrades. Armor can wait, it's mainly for speed and dodge which you can supplant with trinkets or buffs. And for God's sake stay out of the Ruins until you know what you're doing, that place is a deathtrap on Champion. The Weald is probably the easiest honestly, as long as you have high accuracy (because otherwise you will never hit the loving witches) and some way to get through PROT.

??? I find the ruins the easiest area at all levels of difficulty. It has the fewest stuns, the fewest DOT attacks, and less PROT and Dodge than everywhere else.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

The Weald is probably the easiest honestly, as long as you have high accuracy (because otherwise you will never hit the loving witches) and some way to get through PROT.

I don't know, I've been finding Cove a lot easier than Weald on Champion, even without full upgrades. As long as you pack a Stun Doctor and have a decent source of healing for taking care of bleeds (as well as a stack of bandages), combat usually just takes longer instead of actually being threatening or stress-inducing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just to round out the pack, i will say that the easiest is Warrens

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

just to round out the pack, i will say that the easiest is Warrens

I personally agree with this; it's my favourite place to do quests in because the interconnectedness makes it easy to avoid tough paths with scouting and most of the enemies aren't too deadly. Being the most disease-heavy area can be annoying, but bringing a grave robber or plague doctor with the right camp skills makes that a non-issue.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'd say the Ruins are the least dangerous - the only guys I lost on my first save were to a disastrous Champion-level prophet fight, and I think the regular enemies are the least dangerous there. I'd say the Warrens if I didn't have an experience getting get double-critted by those hook guys.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Can you change camp skills?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Juss, as long as it's actually done before you camp, same procedure as switching other skills iirc

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I guess it really is just personal preference, then. I like the Weald and the Cove because the threats are more compartmentalized and, to me, manageable. I also did all my blacksmith upgrades pre-patch so I lived in the Weald long enough to really get used to it. In the Warrens and Ruins, everything is more of a threat on its own. With mixed groups just one or two misses or crits can really put someone in danger, whereas if I eat a Treebranch or Arterial crit, I've already locked that fight down and have plenty of time to heal back from it.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Only sort of related, but I seriously did not realize your people could have four camp skills until the patch, where I started getting resolve 2 and 3 folks with four camp skills off the stagecoach.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

Only sort of related, but I seriously did not realize your people could have four camp skills until the patch, where I started getting resolve 2 and 3 folks with four camp skills off the stagecoach.

Wait, what? gently caress :negative:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
They used to have 4 by default earlier on, but there was literally no point in ever visiting the survivalist so they knocked it down to 3 to give you a reason.

The 4 maximum is documented approximately nowhere so I dunno how you would know this was a thing without playing an earlier version of the game.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I learned when i bought another camp skill to replace a crap one and noticed it wasnt greyed out with 3 skills equipped.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Currently trying to put together a passable team for Champion quests, based on what I can afford to bring up to spec. Right now, I've got Abomination/Occultist/Plague Doctor but I need a 4th guy to stick in the front. Obviously Crusader/Leper/Vestal are out, which out of front-line classes leaves me with Man-at-Arms and... Hellion, I guess? They're awfully, uh, fragile though. Any advice would be appreciated especially which of the bosses, if any, they're suited for fighting.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't think it's the game teaching you bad habits. If you play optimally like you would in later dungeons, you will do even better in the early ones than you would just moseying along with any old comp. The game teaching you bad habits would be like if optimal endgame strats didn't work well in the early game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Hellions are awesome and my frontliners of choice. With an Occultist backing her up you should have no problems. A Bounty Hunter would be another excellent choice for a frontliner in that team, with plenty of stuns to boost damage off of and the Occultist to mark heavy targets.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I don't think it's the game teaching you bad habits. If you play optimally like you would in later dungeons, you will do even better in the early ones than you would just moseying along with any old comp. The game teaching you bad habits would be like if optimal endgame strats didn't work well in the early game.

Yeah, I guess that's true. It does lull you into a false state of security though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rangpur posted:

Currently trying to put together a passable team for Champion quests, based on what I can afford to bring up to spec. Right now, I've got Abomination/Occultist/Plague Doctor but I need a 4th guy to stick in the front. Obviously Crusader/Leper/Vestal are out, which out of front-line classes leaves me with Man-at-Arms and... Hellion, I guess? They're awfully, uh, fragile though. Any advice would be appreciated especially which of the bosses, if any, they're suited for fighting.

you could go dogman and have him abuse his dodge tanking but that leaves you pretty short on decent damage since hound's rush doesn't work in slot 1

BH is probably your best bet. you can use abom/PD to stun, and then the BH can either team up with the occ to mark and mash or just get nuts on stunned dudes with Finish Him. the team would probably work great in Cove (due to Blight being basically The Thing in the Cove) and the Warrens (since mark + human + Collect Bounty = lol). Warrens tends to have a fair bit of blight resist though so you might run into some trouble there - probably have the PD with extra tricks up her sleeve to switch to primary stunning instead of primary blighting so she can switch her focus depending on where you are.

e: Hellion probably also makes more sense in warrens since stuff in there bleeds really nice and she can take care of herself a little bit better than BH thanks to adrenaline rush, but she will definitely be out of her element in Cove so i'd probably go with a BH

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 24, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

use a second abomination

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, I guess that's true. It does lull you into a false state of security though.

Well y'know what they say about overconfidence!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

use a second abomination

i considered saying this but that basically requires that an abom hulks out every fight since his human form stuff is basically unusable from rank 1

you really need a jester to bootstrap a team like that because for whatever dumbass reason hulked out As still stress out other As

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh it's champion level isn't it

BH is best but i vote melee highwayman with sharpening sheath, as an outside shot

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Hellions are never out of their element. :colbert:

That was the end of a long Champion run. It was one giant loop with no branches, too, so I had to do every battle.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

BH is best but i vote melee highwayman with sharpening sheath, as an outside shot
I had that thought too, but they're all dead. Dismas was the last, and none have shown up since despite a fully upgraded stagecoach. Good times.

What kind of trinkets do you all put on your slot 1 Hellions and/or Bounty Hunters? I stick Fasting Seals on everything I can, but otherwise my trinkets for those classes are kinda threadbare.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 24, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rangpur posted:

I had that thought too, but they're all dead. Dismas was the last, and none have shown up since despite a fully upgraded stagecoach. Good times.

What kind of trinkets do you all put on your slot 1 Hellions and/or Bounty Hunters? I stick Fasting Seals on everything I can, but otherwise my trinkets for those classes are kinda threadbare.

I like going with one of Dismas' Head, the Ancestor's Candle, or the Rage Amulet as my primary damage trinket, but never both of them at once, as the stress penalties become unreal. Calming crystals pair up remarkably well with every +stress trinket. Never ever sell them, and possibly even keep 4 of them in your inventory. I always buy them when i see them for sale.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

At Champion, you really want something to boost accuracy on Hellions because whiffing an Iron Swan can really gently caress you up. An accuracy trinket and a damage trinket will make her a force to be reckoned with, and she should stay out of trouble as long as you keep her health topped off at the end of each fight and Adrenaline Rush out of any blights or bleeds. If you can get the Ancestor's Pen and Signet Ring on her she becomes an unstoppable killing machine.

For Bounty Hunters, just go pure damage. The bonuses off of marks and stuns will push them up into god-killing territory.

Literally.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Ever since I had a boss killed with one of those monster crits, I've have a fantasy where a bounty hunter uses his hook to latch onto the Swine King, hauls himself up it in Shadow-of-the-colossus style climb, then does a jumping attack and plants his axe directly into the monster's exposed brain for the kill.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rangpur posted:

BH gets Wounding Helmet all the time, ever, but that's how i like to play him; it's cool that with the right trinkets you can spec him for any two out of great stuns, great damage, and great move ability.

take off the fasting seals, get hunter's talon instead. dodge is all well and good but food's really not something that needs careful management except on the longest of dungeons, imo. if you're in the cove and ruins then maybe it's hard to find but if you're in weald or warrens there's shitloads of it all over the place

failing that, his straight-up +2 Speed Common trinket is quite nice. turns him into a reliable goes-first stunner

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I wish the very final boss was at least a little bit harder because it feels too much like a gimme to be exciting.

EDIT: on the other hand the Antiquarian has a nice line

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 25, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZeroCount posted:

I wish the very final boss was at least a little bit harder because it feels too much like a gimme to be exciting.

EDIT: on the other hand the Antiquarian has a nice line

I don't see what the problem is. No matter what the outcome of the fight, you're guaranteed to lose.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
god drat it, Antiquarians are like the party member equivalent of the dog biscuits for me. without loving fail i will drag her halfway through a mission only to realize that i havent been using her to click on curios. but, hot diggity, at least im getting that clutch +4 to dodge from her censer skills that make her a total must-have.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Putting the antiquarian in the front 2 with a dodge-loaded highwayman makes for an exceptionally effective dodge tank. Yeah, it's not as good as a regular beatdown team, but you're going for moneys/trinkets with an Antiquarian.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

I don't see what the problem is. No matter what the outcome of the fight, you're guaranteed to lose.

Yes but it's all very underwhelming and not really the experience I like exiting my run on. Some of it just seems absolutely baffling. Why does the gestating stage need to heal you when it's almost impossible to take significant damage from the first two stages? etc. The boss is almost incapable of hurting you except for the final stage and even then only because it cheats to do so. The whole fight is just choosing which two heroes you want to die and whacking a variety of mostly helpless and boring stages.
There's no challenge and it's not fun.

EDIT: I guess my point is that it doesn't feel like a fight at all. It's just a stopping point at the end where you dump two heroes and then move on.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZeroCount posted:

Yes but it's all very underwhelming and not really the experience I like exiting my run on. Some of it just seems absolutely baffling. Why does the gestating stage need to heal you when it's almost impossible to take significant damage from the first two stages? etc. The boss is almost incapable of hurting you except for the final stage and even then only because it cheats to do so. The whole fight is just choosing which two heroes you want to die and whacking a variety of mostly helpless and boring stages.
There's no challenge and it's not fun.

EDIT: I guess my point is that it doesn't feel like a fight at all. It's just a stopping point at the end where you dump two heroes and then move on.

It's a victory lap. The hard part was the previous 3 DD runs where you were forced to retire 12 heroes.