Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A guy released his Doom source port mod to have the game play itself: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/86828-autodoom-available-to-download/

It's pretty impressive when it actually works right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3CLdqLojoU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Slightly unnerving how quickly it reacts to enemies that it hasn't seen yet!

So could this theoretically also make some crazy deathmatch AI one day, or is it just an autodemo thing?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I wouldn't be surprised if it worked in multiplayer right now, since it's basically just a new code module that analyzes the map structures and inputs player commands through the normal channels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Convex posted:

Slightly unnerving how quickly it reacts to enemies that it hasn't seen yet!

So could this theoretically also make some crazy deathmatch AI one day, or is it just an autodemo thing?

Its pretty likely that its pulling game data that the player wouldn't have, effectively using wallhacks.

Depends upon how it interfaces with the game. In the BWAPI that somebody wrote for making your own star craft bots (which I messed around with, very cool poo poo) you only had access to player-knowledge, so it was much harder.

You could try to restrict yourself but then you have to do actual calculations to determine what is visible on screen. Much easier (especially since doom is open source) to just directly access the game data to know where enemies are, but that means possibly accessing data you shouldn't have.

They could put in artificial checks to see if the enemy is visible after accessing it through the data, I guess, instead of trying to do image recognition on the output. That our you could modify the rendering process to output some additional data as it goes which would inform you which sprites were visible for a given frame, and have the AI use that list.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It would make a hell of a co-op bot, especially if you add a couple of orders (follow/stay/lead).

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Thi4f trip report: Pain.

Thief fan missions: :toot: and hammeristas. Which means women hammerites. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Thi4f trip report: Pain.

Don't say you weren't warned.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Linguica posted:

A guy released his Doom source port mod to have the game play itself: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/86828-autodoom-available-to-download/

It's pretty impressive when it actually works right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3CLdqLojoU

Anyone else wanna see it play reelism?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

QwertySanchez posted:

Anyone else wanna see it play reelism?
I don't believe it's using a ZDoom-based source port for its foundation.

The GitHub suggests Eternity Engine, actually.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
That would be some magical Sims-like virtual experiment to see a handful of bots freaking out in a game of Reelism.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Nah, I'd throw him Citadel at the Edge of Eternity and see if he can manouver itself into exit in less than a day.

In all seriousness, this is super cool. Could work really well as a map testing/balance adjust helping tool.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
So I'm probably a little behind the curve here but I've noticed that GZDoom recently released a 64-bit version. Is there any real difference performance-wise?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There really shouldn't be on Windows, though OSX and Linux users might get like one more FPS and have slightly fewer dependencies to install.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So I'm probably a little behind the curve here but I've noticed that GZDoom recently released a 64-bit version. Is there any real difference performance-wise?
Little to no difference. Possibly negative difference in certain situations? I recall hearing that from a developer, but I can't find a source.

In other news, John Carmack will be awarded a BAFTA Fellowship at the British Academy Games Awards on April 7th.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Little to no difference. Possibly negative difference in certain situations? I recall hearing that from a developer, but I can't find a source.

Graf said that, but he also said that now it made sense to have a 64-bit GZDoom build.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=797150#p797150
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=58130#p58130

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I have noticed faster performance on really intense WADs, like the NUTS series when you fire the first shots and every monster suddenly activates their AI at once.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Long time ago someone here was looking for a techno song made of Quake sounds, and I think I have finally found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ech_xWAtBP4

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

On the subject of music enhanced by Quake sounds, I humbly offer this work of art forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvaU9CaSeCE

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I guess it's time to repost that Quake mix I dredged up the last time this discussion came up then?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84FXBEs1mws

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dominic White posted:

Well, Going Down has '200 Mega Hurts'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5_m-gzRw8g

Claustrophobic map, 100 Archviles, 100 Pain Elementals

I...

I didn't get that level name when I played it, apparently. :downs:

(I mean, I got the obvious pun, but I just assumed the number was random.)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

laserghost posted:

Long time ago someone here was looking for a techno song made of Quake sounds, and I think I have finally found it.

I'm almost certain I've been to an underground club that had this exact thing playing. The clubbers looked about the same. Must have been NIN night.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

During the first few seconds I was expecting to hear a Quake sound arrangement of this and I got disappointed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvRMWZvnuho

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oh man, the art on this video was on the steel tin Quake 3 special edition that I got at Dollar Tree. (It was the Linux version, all you had to do was download the .exe and use the same files for Windows.)

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8SC7z8W134

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

laserghost posted:

I think that might have been me, and if so that's not the one I'm looking for :smith: very cool song though, good beat. UNTZ UNTZ.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, if we're moving to editing in-game voice clips to say funny things, there's always the HL Grunt Tango.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just finished No Rest for the Living for the first time. Credit to Tomb of Malevolence for being an actual suitable sequel to Tower of Babel, complete with the sense of alien isolation and terror.

One thing i really liked about it was that every level had a computer map so when I found that I could gradually puzzle out the rest of the secrets myself. As someone who's not super-experienced with Doom, it was a nice touch. Are there any other WADs that do that?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just finished Strife for the first time, thought I'd post a trip report.

I remember playing the demo of this from a PC Gamer demo disk back in 1996 and being really curious how the concept of a first person, combat centric RPG could work. The way that you could interact with characters (who didn't immediately shoot you on sight!) was pretty unusual for the time, and even more so the way that following what appeared to be the 'right' path in the story (i.e. doing exactly what you're told) would completely screw you over. gently caress you, Harris :argh:

Sadly I never got to play the full game until years later as I wasn't old enough to buy a 15 rated game in stores, and no-one I knew had a copy to borrow from.

Coming back to it years later via the Veteran Edition on Steam, I was initially amazed at how badly I remembered that start of the game. Doing what you're told actually progresses the story, and it's not until much later on that you need you make significant choices in the face of conflicting loyalties. Digging a little deeper it turns out that the demo shifted things around to deliberately gently caress you over, which I guess was deemed a little harsh for the full game.

Still, the fact that you end up with branching story paths, upgradeable stats and weapons and spoken dialogue in a loving Doom engine game somehow still seems impressive to this day. The game is a true open world (albeit broken up into individual maps you transit between) and right up until the end you can backtrack and revisit every other area in the game. Even more impressively, some maps are completely transformed after missions, with a castle being half destroyed and repurposed as a rebel base as a major example.

Turns out this innovation was rewarded by Velocity completely imploding a few weeks after release, with the IP rights going into legal limbo for the best part of 18 years. I guess releasing your 2.5d Doom engine game in the same month as Quake wasn't the smartest move :( On the positive side, the game has now been polished up to modern standards (well, with mouselook, lightmaps and some slightly unnecessary motion blur) and is now back available on Steam at a reasonable price for everyone to enjoy.

I can't think of any really similar games turning up until Deus Ex a good four years later.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Playing Dark Forces lately and I remember why I never got far in it. The one-two punch of bad sewer level followed by the all white canyon maze is a real killjoy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Eh, the canyon part's fine. The real maze starts when you get into the Imperial facility proper.

Although I really liked the tall circular room in the Phrik Mines stage immediately afterward, so there's that to look forward to, I guess?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

All this Quake music talk finally caused me to upload two forgotten mod files to YT, and make a short playlist of those beauties: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60nfZ8PtDGYWJ3Cjw7rlEs17hssDDqko

The other day, I've uploaded also a really good arrangement of At Doom's Gate for Commodore 64s' sound chip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssQ-FAJNfAg

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The Shadow Warrior reboot is $4 on Steam if anyone else was waiting for it to get dirt cheap before giving it a try (like myself).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Convex posted:

Still, the fact that you end up with branching story paths, upgradeable stats and weapons and spoken dialogue in a loving Doom engine game somehow still seems impressive to this day. The game is a true open world (albeit broken up into individual maps you transit between) and right up until the end you can backtrack and revisit every other area in the game. Even more impressively, some maps are completely transformed after missions, with a castle being half destroyed and repurposed as a rebel base as a major example.

Turns out this innovation was rewarded by Velocity completely imploding a few weeks after release, with the IP rights going into legal limbo for the best part of 18 years. I guess releasing your 2.5d Doom engine game in the same month as Quake wasn't the smartest move :( On the positive side, the game has now been polished up to modern standards (well, with mouselook, lightmaps and some slightly unnecessary motion blur) and is now back available on Steam at a reasonable price for everyone to enjoy.

I can't think of any really similar games turning up until Deus Ex a good four years later.

Unfortunately innovation has to be timed just right (that is to say, get wildly lucky), otherwise it's either too soon, or remembered fondly by a handful of people.

AMA about Kohan.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Buy Shadow Warrior. Its got good combat and great dialogue. Some levels did leave me feeling slightly lost but that's honestly a good thing, and I was never that lost.

The only fly in the ointment is the save system, but you'll learn to deal with it. Also if you're the kind of player who has to explore everything, have a guide handy when you play to make sure you don't miss out once you hit certain checkpoints.

Otherwise its a solid game with surprisingly great dialogue, a fun plot that'll surprise you and a protagonist that is actually fun to dislike.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 26, 2016

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So I spent the afternoon getting Project Brutality up and running on my Linux box, and while it is possible to run GZDoom it is a great big Linux-y pain in the rear end to do so, so I'm sticking with ZDoom this time. That means I can't use my preferred HUD of Ultimate Doom Visor, and I found the HXRTC HUD with a PB flavor which accounts for clips in guns, lists all your available ammo including grenades and mines etc, seemed pretty good.

But this HUD is just a standalone part of a bigger project, the HXRTC Project that seems to add just about every custom weapon/monster/item type ever posted online.

Enemies drop certain items, I've seen health packs, ammo packs and backpacks among others. They also drop money that you can spend on item shops represented by ethereal teleporting shop-bots, who sell everything from health and ammo to new guns. There's also a Rage mechanic where if you kill enough enemies fast enough you activate RageModeTM which (I assume) boosts your damage/speed/health/all of the above? I can't say it's as well balanced or polished as PB or even BD itself, but if you're looking to run through some familiar maps with maximum variety, I've been enjoying it for the last couple of hours.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Convex posted:

:aaaaa: My concept of time is probably warped because I was a kid back then, but Strife and Deus Ex being separated by only four years seems insane.

In retrospect things were a lot more exciting in the 90s when things were changing so radically. Doom to Unreal in five years? Crazy.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

JackMackerel posted:

It particularly stokes my irrational, immature pit of useless nerd rage that Machine Games have repeatedly stated they loving hate everything about 09 and don't want anything to do with it.

Wow. That is low. poo poo more on Raven Software please. They only made the best game in the world (jedi outcast) and tons of solid shootery shooters. Machine games can suck my rear end. Im happy I never played the new wolfensteins.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Wow. That is low. poo poo more on Raven Software please. They only made the best game in the world (jedi outcast) and tons of solid shootery shooters. Machine games can suck my rear end. Im happy I never played the new wolfensteins.

As others said earlier, there doesn't seem to be anything backing up the claim that Machinegames hate Wolf09, especially as New Order seems to pick up the story directly from where it left off. If anything, it's every other Wolfenstein that got retconned out of existence.

Caroline Becker surviving (barely) and Deathshead being salty about his zeppelin being destroyed are key points.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Also you shouldn't be happy that you didn't play the new Wolfenstein. It's real loving good.