Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Node posted:

Can biters spawn from anywhere to attack your base or will they always come from the direction of a spawner? I just lost a few buildings to them and want to know how to plan my defenses.

They always come from a collecting spot near a nest of spawners. If you stand off to one side you can see them getting together in a big pile and when they reach some threshold or other they all take off in a bee line toward the most pollution. They will always come at you from the exact same path unless you build a new source of pollution which is stronger and they will switch to head to that instead. If they cannot get at the source of the pollution due to wall enclosures, they may try to path round and edge or if that's not possible they atack the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ratzap posted:

They always come from a collecting spot near a nest of spawners. If you stand off to one side you can see them getting together in a big pile and when they reach some threshold or other they all take off in a bee line toward the most pollution. They will always come at you from the exact same path unless you build a new source of pollution which is stronger and they will switch to head to that instead. If they cannot get at the source of the pollution due to wall enclosures, they may try to path round and edge or if that's not possible they atack the wall.

good thing to know i built a magnificent trump wall...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Node posted:

Can biters spawn from anywhere to attack your base or will they always come from the direction of a spawner? I just lost a few buildings to them and want to know how to plan my defenses.

And I hope they don't swim.
They hammer out a few discrete paths which help with planning even if you don't have natural terrain bottlenecks. If there's multiple spawners in a nehigborhood they go to a rally point first and path from the rally point to a pollution maxima, trimming 360 degrees of possible incoming biters into a handful of approach vectors to focus your defense efforts. If they ever come across a military building like a turret or radar on their path to the pollution maxima, they get distracted and want to kill it first so you can use that to further magnetize hordes into well defended pillboxes.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

zedprime posted:

They hammer out a few discrete paths which help with planning even if you don't have natural terrain bottlenecks. If there's multiple spawners in a nehigborhood they go to a rally point first and path from the rally point to a pollution maxima, trimming 360 degrees of possible incoming biters into a handful of approach vectors to focus your defense efforts. If they ever come across a military building like a turret or radar on their path to the pollution maxima, they get distracted and want to kill it first so you can use that to further magnetize hordes into well defended pillboxes.

so, if i have a few disposible forward attack points that will keep them busy for a bit?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SneakyFrog posted:

so, if i have a few disposible forward attack points that will keep them busy for a bit?
If you make forward bases, you need them to win. IIRC if they run out of military targets after going into combat mode, they will eat each and every man made object between the battle and the pollution maxima.

Belting ammo out is kind of a pain for anything but the nearest resource gathering ops, but its fairly viable to large power pole power out to a laser farm 100yds downrange of a rally point and just pen them in at the source.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

zedprime posted:

If you make forward bases, you need them to win. IIRC if they run out of military targets after going into combat mode, they will eat each and every man made object between the battle and the pollution maxima.

Belting ammo out is kind of a pain for anything but the nearest resource gathering ops, but its fairly viable to large power pole power out to a laser farm 100yds downrange of a rally point and just pen them in at the source.

:negative:

i... might have run a looping ammo belt out to the wall of turrets behind my trump wall just south of the enemy position

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
If you build forward gun bunkers, don't fully enclose the walls, the biters path round to the gap giving the guns longer to attack them before any objects take damage. If you want to really get fancy, build a maze of passages into the rear of the bunker and fill it with red belt. The biters slow down running against the belt while they try and get inside giving the guns much longer to kill them all.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

What I was saying was (in stock) one pump can feed a little more than 10 steam engines, but not quite 11. So at the end of each two banks of 10 engines, I connect the pipes and run them into an 11th (or 21st, if you count all of both banks) and squeeze a little extra power out.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Pumps have a throughput limit of 30 units/second. If you need more you can run two (or more) pumps in parallel, pipes can handle up to 240 fluid/sec (IIRC).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I know this is stupid and doesn't really fit the atmosphere of the game, but it'd be pretty neat being able to grow a select variety of crops: wheat, potatoes, carrots. They'd need lots of space and a specific biome to grow in, but I can imagine how amazing it'd be shipping in trainloads of wheat and turning it into bread and stuff.

A bit silly really cause a man would never have to eat again if he had a cargofull of wheat to turn into a lifetime supply of bread. I just think it'd be fun, and setting up farming outposts far away from the base (due to the large area they need) would be fun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Produce sugars, process into ethanol, get drunk renewable fuel source. Actually not a bad mod idea.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I assumed that factoboy just eats coal like everything else

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

I know this is stupid and doesn't really fit the atmosphere of the game, but it'd be pretty neat being able to grow a select variety of crops: wheat, potatoes, carrots. They'd need lots of space and a specific biome to grow in, but I can imagine how amazing it'd be shipping in trainloads of wheat and turning it into bread and stuff.

A bit silly really cause a man would never have to eat again if he had a cargofull of wheat to turn into a lifetime supply of bread. I just think it'd be fun, and setting up farming outposts far away from the base (due to the large area they need) would be fun.

There's a thread in one of the mod sub forums where a German guy was trying to raise interest in making bread in Factorio. He wanted to mod in a town he could go to and buy/sell things. There's another mod thread for growing food items and a few with people speculating on turning biter corpses into meat and leather. Someone else was looking to get into using furnaces to cook stuff. So wait a few months and you may get your bakery mod.

Normal Adult Human posted:

I assumed that factoboy just eats coal like everything else

Everyone knows he just chomps down on raw fish like Gollum.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm totally fine with turning Factorio into Stardew Valley. Jojo company ain't going to have poo poo on me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The replies made me smile. Glad I'm not the only one.

Also laughed hard at "Factoboy eats coal like everything else"

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

zedprime posted:

That's a lot of real neat high level stuff that I think I have applied accidentally in places and never learned how it might be better than ways I normally do it. I think I'd mostly settled on coal and ore co-sided because I never actually learned the trick to why that inserter placement you've got works over ones that don't.

This really isn't high end stuff - these are the basic things you learn when you start to do higher volume production.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
All my starting iron and coal patches are in use, so if I want to make any more factories and such I need to expand. Does this mean I need to start making trains, or do I try to save space by using better furnaces and power lines?

And do aliens attack tracks and trains in transit?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Node posted:

All my starting iron and coal patches are in use, so if I want to make any more factories and such I need to expand. Does this mean I need to start making trains, or do I try to save space by using better furnaces and power lines?

And do aliens attack tracks and trains in transit?

Trains are fun, but if you're on default settings, you can honestly just use belts. That being said, feel free to use trains to cart in ore! They're fun to use and set up, but you'll definitely want FARL to make laying track not a terrible experience.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Tracks no, trains :killdozer: them.

You can either make trains, or if you're really lazy (or if the distance is kinda shortish) you can just belt in metal from another patch, long distance.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dirk the Average posted:

Trains are fun, but if you're on default settings, you can honestly just use belts. That being said, feel free to use trains to cart in ore! They're fun to use and set up, but you'll definitely want FARL to make laying track not a terrible experience.

Trains are indeed fun. It'll be like playing a small version of TTDX within Factorio!

I'm tempted to restart for a third time. My entire assembly is a spaghetti mess, and I feel like if I compartmentalized everything so that each factory area was the same dimensions and all pulled from the same central line that houses iron and copper plates it would run smoother and be easier to build.

Then steel comes into the mix and fucks that idea right out the door.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm in the same boat. My base is still using the original setup I had and the spawn area just doesn't give me enough space to do what I need. I want to restart, but I'm scared that if I do, I'll lose motivation and just quit Factorio for a few months like is normally the case when I restart.

I dunno whether to tear everything down and build up (which is sort of frightening cause I'd hate organizing this spaghetti mess) or just building a dedicated metal / copper plate facility that ships everything in so my old factory can utilize it.

Currently being shafted cause green circuits can't keep up with demand, no matter how many times I revisit the design. I know I could sort all the issues out with a few dedicated outposts, but I just can't be arsed dealing with the logistics of it all. Especially with how fast I'm currently burning through copper and iron ore.

Wish I could go back to when I first started this map and bump up slightly the ore deposit size and richness.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
There needs to be something on the autism spectrum that is like Asperger's but even more insufferable so we can describe games like this.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
http://i.imgur.com/IDtbe6W.gifv

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Node posted:

There needs to be something on the autism spectrum that is like Asperger's but even more insufferable so we can describe games like this.

We'll call it the Node.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Loopoo posted:

I'm in the same boat. My base is still using the original setup I had and the spawn area just doesn't give me enough space to do what I need. I want to restart, but I'm scared that if I do, I'll lose motivation and just quit Factorio for a few months like is normally the case when I restart.

I dunno whether to tear everything down and build up (which is sort of frightening cause I'd hate organizing this spaghetti mess) or just building a dedicated metal / copper plate facility that ships everything in so my old factory can utilize it.

Currently being shafted cause green circuits can't keep up with demand, no matter how many times I revisit the design. I know I could sort all the issues out with a few dedicated outposts, but I just can't be arsed dealing with the logistics of it all. Especially with how fast I'm currently burning through copper and iron ore.

Wish I could go back to when I first started this map and bump up slightly the ore deposit size and richness.

gently caress it, call your original base feature-complete and only ever touch it if the supply chains get hosed up or you want to take whatever residual materials it has passing through and use them elsewhere. Block off a new ground zero, weave belts you're having a psychotic break, draw giant dicks with solar panels or whatever. You don't have to start the game completely over again, to start building completely over again.

For myself, there's just not a lot of petroleum that I can get access to, and the best deposit is next to what appears to be a a large alien town, or small alien city. I've wiped out a few tiny nests during the course of expanding power coverage towards territory with good future prospects; every fourth or fifth large pole gets 2-3 laser turrets, some lights, and a quick pillbox with convenient gates and a protected parking area. A plus with this approach is that I've been clearing channels through moderate to dense forest growth with the flamethrower, so having a safe house nearby is essential; one I can get to easily because I've already cleared a path.

I have part of several fancy chains running, or ready to put into effect, but even if I pillbox my way across the map to control every oil deposit I can see now, I'm barely going to be able to make any plastic; as it is I'm barely getting any sulfuric acid. Fortunately I have 12 hours at work tomorrow to continue to be unsettlingly fixed on this game!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

I found my original save recently from when I bought the game. It was created on 0.11.X and got migrated to 0.12 ok but I'd literally just pressed 'new game, ok ok ok' and started on the first map it gave me. My task now is to go back in there and somehow save it. The factory is just a jumble of crap, I obviously just built things as I discovered I wanted one and crammed it into whatever else was already there. Biters all round, very close and very pissed off. No oil left and hemmed in all round by water. I mention this because you need to do what I'm doing. Carve a fresh space out, use the old crap purely to produce parts to build a new factory from the ground up. Cannibalise what you need to and start in a better location with a decent layout.

Node posted:

Trains are indeed fun. It'll be like playing a small version of TTDX within Factorio!

I'm tempted to restart for a third time. My entire assembly is a spaghetti mess, and I feel like if I compartmentalized everything so that each factory area was the same dimensions and all pulled from the same central line that houses iron and copper plates it would run smoother and be easier to build.

Same thing, rebuild in a new spot bootstrapping from the ashes of the old. If you want a bus, go with 2 iron and 2 copper lanes minimum, keep them 3 or 4 spaces apart, a steel lane plus green circuits too (add gear wheels as well if you feel so inclined to build all the things). Just for info (if you don't know yet), for steel you want 1 for 1 furnaces of the same crafting speed and personally I use a dedicated iron smelter set to feed it. Too easy to cripple your iron output if you turn half of it into steel.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Decided I wanted to show off my base layout, not that it's anything special really but I'm pretty happy with how it's going. I managed to spread stuff out pretty well such that I haven't had to do much major reorganizing, the biggest things being replacing my waning ore deposits with belts fed by train from larger offsite mines. Work started down near the steam and red science and kind of spread outward naturally from there, but then after getting the green science set up I established Circuit City off to the north because I knew from previous attempts that they were a big pain in the rear end and I wanted to keep them away from the rest of the stuff so I could expand them as much as necessary. This gave me plenty of room for the 'misc industry', basically all the random stuff that needs to be mass produced. Mostly everything is 'done', except I really need to expand my steel production and possibly oil/plastic/batteries, and get to work on actually launching a rocket this time.

And a peek at the wider world. I really like the world generation in this game (overall, not just this specific map), it feels pretty natural despite having a fairly limited set of 'biomes'. In this game I'm using the RSO mod and lowered alien density (though normal nest sizes) and have been pretty pleased with the results, it really encourages getting out and exploring more, instead of hunkering in your base. I've even had to make excursions solely to hunt for alien artifacts, something I never had to do on default settings where there were so many nests just keeping them away from my base gave me thousands of them. It makes it trivial to keep them out of aggro distance of your bases though, but whatever. Also using the mod to build rails over water, which let me set up my big iron mine to the north. Disappointing that you can't walk over the bridge, though.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any good modpacks that aren't just for the Factorio player who is deep into the autism spectrum? I've "beaten" Factorio vanilla once by getting to the rocket so something that changes things around some would be nice as long as it doesn't seem like something built by/for the type of person who stores all their toenail clippings.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you may be playing the wrong game, friend.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Loopoo posted:

n'thing this. You'd have to grow the food far away from your factory because of all the pollution though!

Sometimes I think it would be interesting to add habitation. You have to build a house in addition to the factory! It starts with a basic bed and kitchen. You'd probably have to add a sleeping and eating mechanic to make it worth it. But then you can unlock better utilities. For example, you go from a basic bed that you have to sleep in for a full night to get well rested to one where you only need a half hour of sleep. Your kitchen can cook more complicated things and can be hooked up to the logistics network so a robot can bring you lunch while you're running the factory. Maybe you get all new stuff like a garage or med bay, or air filtration/climate control to handle the pollution. Plus you have to worry about defenses...

It's an interesting idea but not one that necessarily works with Factorio as it stands.

Node posted:

I restarted probably 8+ times. For some reason, this is one of the few games where restarting doesn't feel like a chore. Yeah, you lose the usefulness of logistic and construction robots, but that's pretty much the only painful thing. I've gone from taking over an hour to establish electricity and basic automation in my first game to taking ~15 minutes to do the same in my new games. Plus you get a whole new canvas to paint with steel and polution! :science:

Loopoo posted:

Two possible ways to do this:
- Get the map sharing string, generate a new world with it but have better ore deposits. I'm not 100% certain this will work.
- Cheat.

The Factorio Wiki posted:

Refill resources (refill oil, iron etc.)
While holding the cursor over a resource in-game

code:
/c game.local_player.selected.amount=7500
Add new resource patch
This creates a new 5x5 patch of resources, centered on the player character. For resources other than stone, just change "stone" to "iron-ore", "copper-ore", or "coal"

code:
/c local surface = game.local_player.surface;
for y=-2,2 do
 for x=-2,2 do
  surface.create_entity({name="stone", amount=5000, position={game.local_player.position.x+x, game.local_player.position.y+y}})
 end
end

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sooo rimworld + factorio then?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SneakyFrog posted:

sooo rimworld + factorio then?

Seriously can't wait for the new Rimworld update. I just hate Tynan's way of handling things so much. The game has insane potential yet he barely puts out updates or even communicates with us. I'm sure with the amount of sales he's made - on top of the potential this game has to explode - that he could expand the team a little and speed up development.

Seriously, the guy went on a hiatus for like 3 months with nothing in between, not so much as a "Work is continuing steadily, sorry for the lack of updates, I'm on a break".

I've been playing Factorio since it first went up for sale, way back when most graphics were placeholders and there was barely anything to do. The Factorio devs are brilliant, they always kept in touch with the community, and when they saw that the game was gaining popularity and had potential, they went for it and slowly increased their team size. Now look at their success: first week of Steam sales outshone their 2 years of sales from their website (which must have been a lot since lots of people were playing the game).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I'm pretty bad at this game, two friends and I are getting to the researching rockets stage on a default game and it's been pretty fun.

However I listened to the thread when they said that the game turns into "get green circuits." Now my logistics network has 23k green circuits in circulation.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tulip posted:

So I'm pretty bad at this game, two friends and I are getting to the researching rockets stage on a default game and it's been pretty fun.

However I listened to the thread when they said that the game turns into "get green circuits." Now my logistics network has 23k green circuits in circulation.

Grats now you'll be able to hammer out rocket parts nice and fast then.

Indecisive posted:

Decided I wanted to show off my base layout, not that it's anything special really but I'm pretty happy with how it's going. I managed to spread stuff out pretty well such that I haven't had to do much major reorganizing, the biggest things being replacing my waning ore deposits with belts fed by train from larger offsite mines. Work started down near the steam and red science and kind of spread outward naturally from there, but then after getting the green science set up I established Circuit City off to the north because I knew from previous attempts that they were a big pain in the rear end and I wanted to keep them away from the rest of the stuff so I could expand them as much as necessary. This gave me plenty of room for the 'misc industry', basically all the random stuff that needs to be mass produced. Mostly everything is 'done', except I really need to expand my steel production and possibly oil/plastic/batteries, and get to work on actually launching a rocket this time.

Nice and tidy with spaces between things - cool. You still have ores in your base though, were the initial deposits really rich or just lasted well? You got lucky with those deposits fairly close in too, don't see anything else on your discovered area.

Loopoo posted:

Seriously can't wait for the new Rimworld update. I just hate Tynan's way of handling things so much. The game has insane potential yet he barely puts out updates or even communicates with us. I'm sure with the amount of sales he's made - on top of the potential this game has to explode - that he could expand the team a little and speed up development.

Seriously, the guy went on a hiatus for like 3 months with nothing in between, not so much as a "Work is continuing steadily, sorry for the lack of updates, I'm on a break".

I've been playing Factorio since it first went up for sale, way back when most graphics were placeholders and there was barely anything to do. The Factorio devs are brilliant, they always kept in touch with the community, and when they saw that the game was gaining popularity and had potential, they went for it and slowly increased their team size. Now look at their success: first week of Steam sales outshone their 2 years of sales from their website (which must have been a lot since lots of people were playing the game).

Yeah on both. Rimworld - cannibals in love, should be the working title of the next release. Looking forward to that too. I agree about Factorio, they've shown how it can be done and pretty much followed the KSP model. Talk to the player base, enable and embrace modding, work hard and talk about what's going on. Stoked for 0.13 coming out and fingers crossed they follow past practice so I can load older saves to continue them (given the length of games I doubt they would break them but stranger things have happened in early access).

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Nice and tidy with spaces between things - cool. You still have ores in your base though, were the initial deposits really rich or just lasted well? You got lucky with those deposits fairly close in too, don't see anything else on your discovered area.

I don't remember exactly what I did with the world gen settings but I think I turned down ore node frequency by 1 step and made them one step denser (but not larger). The other reason they've lasted this long is that I try to limit myself to mining what I need, I don't store ore or plates in boxes so when the line backs up the mines shut down. Also I don't fully cover the ore deposits with miners, the coal deposits only have like 3-4 each, and metals like 6-8 at a time (for the ones in the base - the train expansions have like 20-30 and are shrinking much faster). The only starting mines that have totally been depleted are a small iron deposit near the starter red science and two fairly large copper deposits up near the circuit factory - that line just devours copper like crazy. It's already eaten over half of the copper in the east expansion (started at over a mil - now under 500k) while the iron base I set up earlier is set to last much longer.

Been lucky as hell with coal and oil though for sure, got so much of both I haven't even had to consider starting to look for them.

The lack of ore on the map is just a result of zooming out that far unfortunately - there's actually quite a few nodes in the visible area that aren't showing up.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
It looks like 0.13 is getting near. One of the devs replied to a 'fixed in next release' post that 0.12.30 is the stable candidate as they have no outstanding bad bugs and they'll probably release it in about a week (giving time for people to find last minute stuff). After 0.12 goes stable, it's full steam ahead with 0.13.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Does .13 have the new rails? I'll hold off starting a new map if they're that close. Laying rails right now is a nightmare.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
They said that new rails would be in 0.13, yeah. Unless anyone has heard differently since the new rails were announced?

Edit: Estimated release date for 0.13 is June 1st: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22120&start=20#wrap
(That is a very, very loose estimate though, so don't hold them to it.)

DOUBLE Edit: New Friday Facts: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-131

quote:

After some discussions, we decided that our goal of 0.13.0 release date is 1. June, which is 2 months and a week from now.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 25, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

WhiteHowler posted:

Does .13 have the new rails? I'll hold off starting a new map if they're that close. Laying rails right now is a nightmare.

Yes it is and so is this gem

Redo of the train graphics and fixing the train distances, so they are whole tiles and vertical and horizontal distances are the same

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

The Insect Court posted:

Any good modpacks that aren't just for the Factorio player who is deep into the autism spectrum? I've "beaten" Factorio vanilla once by getting to the rocket so something that changes things around some would be nice as long as it doesn't seem like something built by/for the type of person who stores all their toenail clippings.

What you probably want to do is to go and cherry-pick some of the smaller mods to use - I'd recommend RSO, at the very least, as it greatly improves the game to have to work to move resources longer distances.