Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
CODE BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Decrepus posted:

Starting at that wheelchair-bound retard's threat assessment of D_Smart, how many times have Star Citizens said people were psychopaths for not liking a videogame? :laffo:

Serious post: I think the threat-assessment guy and the wheelchair guy were separate retards.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

AP posted:

Extra one from somewhere but think that's them all, I don't normally watch the long videos so should be easy enough to find.

Thank you kindly, and in return, I present you something that should have likely had more effort put into it but well :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09NWVD3zwLg

I might give more of a gently caress later and try to loop the bits of that song I need better.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Daztek posted:

That looks great, ask Toops for the updated SP logo :v:

Oh gently caress, I knew there was a new one. I'll make sure they're changed for the weekly update.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

GabrielMobius posted:

Thank you kindly, and in return, I present you something that should have likely had more effort put into it but well :effort:

I might give more of a gently caress later and try to loop the bits of that song I need better.

Outstanding and just think there's new material every day.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

CODE BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First the Civil Meatles & now this.

gently caress. I gotta raise my goon cred somehow.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

GabrielMobius posted:

I liked your video, the cheery song contrasted nicely with the depressing reality of Star Citizen

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CODE BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grossly inaccurate because the guy is apparently incapable of transcribing people's usernames accurately. :(

This list is presumably posted by a goon because he put his own name on the list?

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

AP posted:

Outstanding and just think there's new material every day.

I might even be able to use other bits of the song.

Daztek posted:

I liked your video, the cheery song contrasted nicely with the depressing reality of Star Citizen

It seemed fitting, the reality of Star Citizen is depressing but the bugs are just so hilarious that they went perfectly with some cheery, funny music.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

CODE BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like all my alts are still safe. Had me worried there for a second.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

runsamok posted:

First the Civil Meatles & now this.

gently caress. I gotta raise my goon cred somehow.

I might have been reverse goon trolled, I can't even tell anymore.....

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I might have been reverse goon trolled, I can't even tell anymore.....

Only way to be sure is to up the ante to a completely new level that only you understand.
Make way for the double-reverse meta-thug anti-troll.

eviljack
Feb 26, 2016

You're getting hungry

I really can't understand how loving stupid CIG is. None of these spergs are complaining about the lack of game mechanics, the hilarious glitches, the fact that there's absolutely no content, the poo poo performance, and all the other failings of this project.

They get up in arms when CIG fucks up their concept sales.

All they have do is NOT gently caress UP the ships, which I would think would be a huge loving deal for them, seeing as that's how they keep pumping the whales. Yet, they can't even do that right. Honestly, if you're going for the long con, at least don't gently caress up your one revenue stream.

eviljack fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 25, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CODE BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, Im never in the cool club.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tippis posted:

Only way to be sure is to up the ante to a completely new level that only you understand.
Make way for the double-reverse meta-thug anti-troll.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

eviljack posted:

I really can't understand how loving stupid CIG is. None of these spergs are complaining about the lack of game mechanics, the hilarious glitches, the fact that there's absolutely no content, the poo poo performance, and all the other failings of this project.

They get up in arms when CIG gently caress ups their concept sales.

All they have do is NOT gently caress UP the ships, which I would think be a huge loving deal for them, seeing as that's how they keep pumping the whales. Yet, they can't even do that right. Honestly, if you're going for the long con, at least don't gently caress up your one revenue stream.

The funny thing is that the really perverse angle to the “must prove SA wrong”-theme that is going on at the moment is that, if they did the sensible thing as you suggest, then that would prove SA right in the (somewhat) common belief that CIG is just in it to sell jpegs. And we can't have that, now can we? So by not doing the one sensible thing right, they achieve what they really desire the most: to prove this thread wrong. :v:

:golfclap:

Also reminds me of this for some (obvious?) reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89wq5EoXy-0

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 25, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

AP posted:

Something odd happened a few hours ago.

I'd point out that due to the Easter weekend a lot of monthly paid people in the UK (Europe?) got paid today and those peaks are somewhat aligned with the time people got home from work. Might explain the sudden rise in activity.

Edit.

Also, if they hadn't had those few hours of $5k they would have been really hosed. Funding for this thing is really drying up!

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 25, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tippis posted:

The funny thing is that the really perverse angle to the “must prove SA wrong”-theme that is going on at the moment is that, if they did the sensible thing as you suggest, then that would prove SA right in the (somewhat) common belief that CIG is just in it to sell jpegs. And we can't have that, now can we? So by not doing the one sensible thing right, they achieve what they really desire the most: to prove this thread wrong. :v:

:golfclap:

Also reminds me of this for some (obvious?) reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89wq5EoXy-0

I'll do a better one tomorrow,it's my new goal.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

eviljack posted:

They get up in arms when CIG gently caress ups their concept sales.

All they have do is NOT gently caress UP the ships, which I would think be a huge loving deal for them, seeing as that's how they keep pumping the whales. Yet, they can't even do that right. Honestly, if you're going for the long con, at least don't gently caress up your one revenue stream.

Honestly, the fact that they gently caress up their ship sales on the regular (and the ships in general) proves they aren't a scam. If they were a scam, you'd have everything you would have now except the ships would be beautiful and amazing eye candy and you would never ever gently caress up a sale. Some might never be flyable but others would, just enough to tease people to buy. The fact that they can't manage this makes it obvious (and sad). A long long time ago I said all they needed to do was not gently caress up the ships and they could keep this poo poo up for years. That's all they needed to be good on. But they can't even do that. If it were a scam, backers would actually have successful concept sales with the same amount of content.

Star Citizen is so bad that the people who back it would be better off if Chris Roberts were actually scamming them than actually trying. That's how bad Star Citizen is. And :lol: at anyone who thinks people will be blown away by SQ42. SQ42 will be gaming's 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' except for like 100 Million and with less imagination and more pathetic. Roberts will have a mental breakdown and scream at anyone who doesn't understand his 'vision' and then start calling all his backers cunts before he disappears off the internet. And then Derek Smart will be laughing. Laughing forever.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Turmoil posted:

I've been reading that thread and am really amazed that none of the CIG defenders have used the "kids these days" card yet.

This one comes close:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6493034/#Comment_6493034

I just picture people that make arguments like this as portly older men who look friendly, but are really bitter about anything that doesn't agree with their views.

You don't have to be a game developer to see that this thing has gone off the rails long ago.

All these defenders are wearing the rosiest of rose colored glasses.

To quote Bojack Horseman: You know, it's funny; when you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags.

I've seen a few RSI posters complain about kids these days. It was kind of sad and pathetic to witness.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dapper Dan posted:

Star Citizen is so bad that the people who back it would be better off if Chris Roberts were actually scamming them than actually trying. That's how bad Star Citizen is. And :lol: at anyone who thinks people will be blown away by SQ42. SQ42 will be gaming's 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' except for like 100 Million and with less imagination and more pathetic. Roberts will have a mental breakdown and scream at anyone who doesn't understand his 'vision' and then start calling all his backers cunts before he disappears off the internet. And then Derek Smart will be laughing. Laughing forever.

Star Citizen: Everyone would be better off if it were a scam

eviljack
Feb 26, 2016

You're getting hungry

Tippis posted:

Wow, I never thought if it like that. CIG are loving geniuses, they're 5 steps ahead of everyone like that guy in Limitless. :wth:

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Yup. Contrary to popular belief, gas giants have solid cores.

This is true. They actually slowly get more and more dense as you descend closer to the core. So it would almost be like falling through gelatin and by the time you hit "solid" you're pretty much going to be permanently stuck.

This is exactly why it's a good idea to build flying platforms over it. Because anything that accidentally drops will be gone forever. None of that "pick it up off the ground" nonsense like those crappy hard-planet dwellers have. That's for the space poors who just can't afford to buy something new when the thing they already have just falls off the side into murky oblivion. Pretty much perfectly encapsulates the Star Citizen motto of "Well just buy another one!"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

eviljack posted:

Wow, I never thought if it like that. CIG are loving geniuses, they're 5 steps ahead of everyone like that guy in Limitless. :wth:

…also, I now note how atrocious that first sentence is, but there's no point in fixing it once it has been quoted. I blame the late hour and my desire to get to my first carbon star in Elite.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

CODE BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is Beer4theBeerGod an alt for, it's way too obtuse for me to decode

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Sweet. My videos are getting popular. I like this.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
He caught zecumbe though, that's pretty ace

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

Wrecked Angle posted:

Also, if they hadn't had those few hours of $5k they would have been really hosed. Funding for this thing is really drying up!

again it bottoms out at 42k

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jason Sextro posted:

Who is Beer4theBeerGod an alt for, it's way too obtuse for me to decode

Derek, because the thread in r/DerekSmart that post was made in is calling EightAce's recent post an "alt post by Derek"

You see, Derek has tons of alts and everything negative posted about Star Citizen is one of his alts.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I know that the graph is fun to laugh at but I cannot for the life of me figure out the mental process of the $42,000 worth of people who woke up this morning and shouted that today's the day they're going to spend another $250 on Star Citizen.

eviljack
Feb 26, 2016

You're getting hungry

Dapper Dan posted:

Honestly, the fact that they gently caress up their ship sales on the regular (and the ships in general) proves they aren't a scam. If they were a scam, you'd have everything you would have now except the ships would be beautiful and amazing eye candy and you would never ever gently caress up a sale. Some might never be flyable but others would, just enough to tease people to buy. The fact that they can't manage this makes it obvious (and sad). A long long time ago I said all they needed to do was not gently caress up the ships and they could keep this poo poo up for years. That's all they needed to be good on. But they can't even do that. If it were a scam, backers would actually have successful concept sales with the same amount of content.

Good point, never thought of it like that. Star Citizen: Not a Scam, Just Incompetent

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Wrecked Angle posted:

I'd point out that due to the Easter weekend a lot of monthly paid people in the UK (Europe?) got paid today and those peaks are somewhat aligned with the time people got home from work. Might explain the sudden rise in activity.

Edit.

Since when has $40k per day equaled drying up? They average in the 30's normally if I recall correctly.

eviljack
Feb 26, 2016

You're getting hungry

Tippis posted:

…also, I now note how atrocious that first sentence is, but there's no point in fixing it once it has been quoted. I blame the late hour and my desire to get to my first carbon star in Elite.

I'm not an intellectual giant like ManofManyMoneys, I'm just poor and dumb :(

EDIT: Thought you were talking about me there. I am poor and dumb though.

eviljack fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 25, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Looks like the Columbo's at the smartest forum in the owrld have got it all figured out.

Just one more thing...

gently caress you reddit lol
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6494732/#Comment_6494732

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6496640/#Comment_6496640

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
..............\.............\..

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
next page needs to be this

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

THIS QUOTE TAKEN WHOLESALE FROM HERE : http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6899616/#Comment_6899616 Which was linked by another goon a few pages back, sorry forgot who it was.

Why did you bring up Smart? No one was talking about him, no one cares about his games. Why are you so insistent on comparing SC to such bad games? Do you expect SC to be just as bad? Why are you so obsessed with Smart?

You nailed it in your question... They're obsessed. He's their ultimate go-to scape-goat for everything. He is the answer to every and any problem that arises, or will arise, with SC. They can't not bring him up, even when the subject has absolutely zero to do with DS.

The position of SC fans is this crazy paradox when it comes to Smart.
On one hand, they say Smart's a know-nothing, has-been developer who doesn't know what he's talking about, etc.
Until some bad news crops up with SC. Then suddenly, the SC faithful somehow find a way to attribute it to Derek.

Hell, I've read articles about SC where Smart isn't even *mentioned*, nor even referred to. Somehow, within the first 2 or 3 comments, people are bringing his name up to dismiss the entire article anyway.

They are absolutely obsessed with the guy.

Here's something else to consider.

Both LoD and SC are described, by their respective developers, to be in Alpha stage at this point.

Yet, ever notice how, when you point out problems in SC - a game with a budget of over 100 million in backer funding, a huge team, spread across multiple offices encompassing multiple companies... they'll immediately argue "It's Alpha! It's not finished yet! Of course there's going to be bugs! Be patient!" Doesn't matter how big the problem may be... simply saying "It's Alpha!" explains away everything.

Yet, let those same people see even a *slight* bug or glitch in LoD - a game developed by a far smaller team (IIRC, no more than 23 people at most at one point), and self-funded (no backers, no investors, no time-limited sales of jpeg ships) on a small fraction of the budget, and suddenly, saying "it's Alpha" doesn't matter. Those same people will say "No. That doesn't excuse it. There's no excuse why this game is still in this condition".

Go look at any of a number of YT vids where people are playing SC and running into some crazy bugs. SC fans will immediately fall all over themselves trying to excuse it away, in some cases, blaming the poster for it. And, of course, it's almost guaranteed some of them are going to invariably bring up Derek Smart.

The hypocrisy, the double-standards, the spin, the deflections, the denial, the cognitive dissonance, the sheer nonsense that comes from many of the SC faithful is amazing to witness.

Another case in point, if there's one thing you could never accuse Derek of being, it's shy with his opinions, or not saying exactly what he thinks, loudly, un-apologetically, and typically, at length. Derek has explained his whole deal with SC numerous times, in articles, in blogs, in interviews, etc. He's explained *exactly* what his issues are with SC, and *exactly* what bothers him about it, and *exactly* what he's wanted to see from the start. He's stated it, re-stated it and then stated it again.

But, will you ever hear any of his *actual* position accurately represented by any of the SC fans? Nope. Not even close. I don't even think most of them know what his actual position is. They're too busy making up their own version of it to be bothered. Intellectual honesty doesn't seem very important to many of them.

If you are at all interested in hearing Derek's take on this, and you genuinely and honestly want to know, then go hear it from Derek himself. Don't go on what the SC fans tell you. Anything they tell you, just ignore it. Don't listen to it. Whether you're on one side, the other side, completely neutral, or just purely curious... if you want to know the actual reasons, go to the source.

Someone earlier in the suggested, or asked, if should everything come crashing down with SC, will they all blame Derek for it. That one's easy... Of course they will. 100% guaranteed. Count on it. And all the while, they'll be simultaneously calling him a know-nothing, nobody, has-been who doesn't know what he's talking about... but was somehow responsible for destroying a game he didn't have even a single line of code in.

I'm now going to sit here and see how long it takes for someone to accuse me of being Derek Smart on a fake account. That's another thing. So open are the minds of many SC fans, and so developed are their critical thinking skills, that if you so much as post anything that isn't bashing DS, you are automatically accused of being him. It's happened to me 5 times now across various sites, etc. All because someone said something about DS or LoD, and *dared* to say 'Umm.. no that's not correct. This is how it is".

An amazing slice of humanity those SC fans, I'll tell ya.

Someone needs to get this guy an account on here if he hasn't already got one.

:allears:

Derek Smart alt spotted!!

https://twitter.com/oliverbcampbell/status/713162930657710080

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:wow:

• Locked thread