Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Bolded is what got me, though. I get that they did things a bit differently with the different colours, but they didn't actually have to; what's wrong with, in a 15-square-long line, having a blue 4 and a red 5, both stating that the consecutive 4 blue squares are somewhere to the left of the consecutive right 5 squares, and leave it at that? You'd still have to use those clues in addition to the vertical ones to solve the puzzle. I don't know, this whole argument is over some bullshit minutiae, and at the end of the day, I guess there are two schools of thought on this.

Then again, these forums would be barren if we didn't argue over pointless poo poo. :shobon:

I played the poo poo out of Picross DS and played the poo poo out of Hungry Cat, they're both good. I think different colors with old Picross rules would make it a little too...easy. While Hungry Cat isn't traditional Picross, a lot of the concepts carry over once you figure out the "new" rules. Also I thought I heard Nintendo owns traditional Picross, and they tend to send cease & desists to copycats (there was a good goon flash game waaay back in the day that got one of these).

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A related question: are there any mobile games that have anything approaching a player-run economy? My secret shame is that I actually kind of like Hay Day. Overall it's a grindy Skinner box, but the limited player trading has me wishing there was anything I could play on my phone that had similar ideas to MMOs with complex economies. I know the ironic refrain of this thread is "you'd think a game like that would work well and be a big hit" but it really would be pretty fun if I could keep a multiplayer trading simulator in my pocket.

Resources has a player-driven market on a bunch of commodities, although that's not really the focus of the game. It's mainly a GPS mining/factory game although I've heard some people make most of their money playing the market. The last couple screenshots kinda show it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.pala.resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Chinook posted:

Is there any website that lets you search for Android games on the play store that are totally free, without ads or IAP. I'd be interested to check that out, especially if you could sort by average ratings, downloads, etc.
It must be possible, because Google turned up this very rough site that just lists them all for thousands of pages:

http://www.noiapapps.com/list/

Every other result is just a dumb "here's a handful of apps" news story :(

edit: here's another with a bit more options, looks like it's not up to date though http://www.payonceandplay.com/

edit 2: looks like the noiapapps.com got their list using this https://github.com/MarcelloLins/GooglePlayAppsCrawler

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 22, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

apokaladle posted:

It seems like some people are getting a crash on start that's fixable by going into the app settings and manually giving it permission to access storage, does that work for you?

Thank you!! This worked! Running an LG G4, and every single time I tried to sign into my Google Play account, it would bring up a huge crash report, and not let me continue. And when you click 'report', you're taken to their discussion forums. :suicide:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
So I purchased this great humble bundle and though I managed to install the games on my phone, when I try to do the same on my 2013 Nexus 7 it doesn't work?

When I click on install nothing happens (I did authorize unknown sources).

Anyone has an idea what is happening there?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

So I purchased this great humble bundle and though I managed to install the games on my phone, when I try to do the same on my 2013 Nexus 7 it doesn't work?

Do you have any kind of colour temperature changer thing app installed like flux or whatever it's called? If so, disable it. You cannot have any kind of app drawing over the Install button for reasons that are hopefully obvious.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If its not an overlay app problem as stated above here's an apparent work around if you're using the Humble Bundle app:

quote:

1. In the Humble Bundle app, go to all apps and download the app you want
2. Go to downloaded apps and the app will be listed
3. Click on the 3 vertical dots in top left corner of downloaded section and click on advanced.
4. Select delete all downloaded files on advanced page.
5. Go back to list of apps and locate app that you just downloaded and deleted. The app should still be green and appear to be downloaded.
6. Select the app again and it will install without parse error.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 22, 2016

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
How hard is it to install on your phone, do they give codes or something?

Talking about Humble

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Fat Turkey posted:

Talking about Humble

It's fairly straightforward. There's a Humble Bundle app that you can install on your phone and link to your account, and you can download and install your games through it (it will also notify you of any updates to them, like the Play Store). You can also just download the apks from their website by going to your purchases page and sideload them onto your device.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 22, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fat Turkey posted:

You have to sideload them.

Edit: Must refresh faster.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tunga posted:

Do you have any kind of colour temperature changer thing app installed like flux or whatever it's called? If so, disable it. You cannot have any kind of app drawing over the Install button for reasons that are hopefully obvious.

Awesome, it worked.

Thank you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tunga posted:

You cannot have any kind of app drawing over the Install button for reasons that are hopefully obvious.

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't get it. Why do screen dimming apps (I use Twilight) specifically get in the way of these install buttons? I feel like I can do virtually anything else on my phone without issue while running them.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't get it. Why do screen dimming apps (I use Twilight) specifically get in the way of these install buttons? I feel like I can do virtually anything else on my phone without issue while running them.
Imagine I write an app that opens the Install screen for malware.APK and then overlay a big "PUSH HERE TO WIN A PRIZE" button on the top. That is why you cannot have a clickthrough-enabled screen on top of the Install screen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tunga posted:

Imagine I write an app that opens the Install screen for malware.APK and then overlay a big "PUSH HERE TO WIN A PRIZE" button on the top. That is why you cannot have a clickthrough-enabled screen on top of the Install screen.

Thank you. This makes sense, and now I appreciate that it's in-place.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
One of the things I like about Lux is that it turns off the night mode if a secure dialog like that comes up.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I don't know what side loading means, so if the Humble App can install them itself, that's fine with me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fat Turkey posted:

I don't know what side loading means, so if the Humble App can install them itself, that's fine with me.
"Downloading and installing an APK via something other than the Google Play Store, requires the user to enable the "Install from other sources" checkbox in Settings before it can be done".

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new F2P Total War game out: Total War Battles: Kingdom.
The last Total War android game spent more time broken than working and then they stopped updating it entirely as far as I know - it won't work on any devices I've had in the last few years.

Not even going to try to install this one because I'm assuming they'll pull the same thing here and bust it after it's been out a few weeks and then never update it again.

And then of course there's the fact that it looks like your bog-standard energy-bar-based town-builder game where you need to join a clan and worry about losing resources to being raided by whales.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Is anyone else playing Plants Vs Zombies Heroes? It's a PvZ style CCG similar to Hearthstone with some very interesting ideas. It's in soft launch right now, though the APK is easily findable with Google. I'm enjoying it for the couple hours I've been playing. IAPs are card packs and hero unlocks, who from what I can tell control the classes of cards you can build a deck with.

Eternalmajin
Apr 5, 2009
Late to the fishing break party but throwing it here just in case anyway.

http://roofdog-fishing.appspot.com/rest/friends/addPage?code=xvjp4358

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I didn't even realize fish codes were even a thing

http://goo.gl/7JirfA

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ryan_woody posted:

Is anyone else playing Plants Vs Zombies Heroes? It's a PvZ style CCG similar to Hearthstone with some very interesting ideas. It's in soft launch right now, though the APK is easily findable with Google. I'm enjoying it for the couple hours I've been playing. IAPs are card packs and hero unlocks, who from what I can tell control the classes of cards you can build a deck with.

I'm admittedly a sucker for anything CCG/TCG/board game related but even given that bias I'm still pretty impressed by this game so far. Hadn't played it until you posted about it, so thanks.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Winterstate is a new post-apocalyptic RTS/car combat game that seems pretty neat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Winterstate is a new post-apocalyptic RTS/car combat game that seems pretty neat.

Cool thanks for sharing reminds me of car wars from Steve Jackson games i played the poo poo out of it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I downloaded some games that looked a little similar to Quest Lord, but unfortunately they all sucked. So instead I started a new file on my tablet, playing it through for a third time, this time as a Dwarf. I am so constantly impressed with this game and the fact that still nothing stands up to it on the Play store.
Googling around for a mythical Quest Lord 2 I found a Facebook post saying more information and screenshots on QL2 would be posted soon, and a bunch of tweets from (an/the) artist on the project. Sadly this all was from back in December and neither has had any new posts since then.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Eric Kinkead's Questlord?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That would be the one.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a Yokai Watch mobile game out. Unlike the wildly successful 3DS games it's a puzzler though, and eerily similar looking to that Cooking Mama puzzle game that came out a few weeks ago.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I'm looking for a new phone game to pass time with

I got heavy into Summoner's War, but like with all phone games got burned out after a couple months of playing; i'm sure i'll fall back into it sooner or later, but for now I'm looking for a collectathon, leveling cards/monsters/whatever RPG thing, and should be online in some capacity (bosses, pvp, whatever)

Preferably it'd be something newish, if anyone has any recent suggestions. I've been scanning the new apps but nothing caught my eye so far

e: i've tried: unison league, fantasy war tactics, wonder tactics. i feel like im missing something else but yeah

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Rafza posted:

I got heavy into Summoner's War, but like with all phone games got burned out after a couple months of playing; i'm sure i'll fall back into it sooner or later, but for now I'm looking for a collectathon, leveling cards/monsters/whatever RPG thing, and should be online in some capacity (bosses, pvp, whatever)

Preferably it'd be something newish, if anyone has any recent suggestions. I've been scanning the new apps but nothing caught my eye so far

e: i've tried: unison league, fantasy war tactics, wonder tactics. i feel like im missing something else but yeah

If you liked Summoners War, I've been having fun with that Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes game. The microtransaction side is rather annoying, but the gameplay side is well-done. Even without spending any real-world money, I've managed to accumulate a nice roster in a shorter time than I would've expected.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Wintermutant posted:

If you liked Summoners War, I've been having fun with that Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes game. The microtransaction side is rather annoying, but the gameplay side is well-done. Even without spending any real-world money, I've managed to accumulate a nice roster in a shorter time than I would've expected.

i'll give it a shot, but (and i know this is heresy) i'm not the greatest fan of star wars. movies are cool, but beyond that i'm not engaged. thanks though

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Desktop Dungeons is fun, but its interface doesn't seem like it was designed for phones, or touch interfaces in general. Super tiny text crammed into small boxes, tool tips with tiny text that are obscured by the digit pressing the thing to bring them up, etc. I'm playing this on a Note and can't imagine doing so on a smaller phone. I assume based on the name that this is a ported PC title, but they did a very poor job making it phone-friendly.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
AFAIK the Play Store version is incompatible with non-tablets for that exact reason

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.QCFDesign.DesktopDungeonsMobile&hl=en

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Finally getting to try Sproggiwood for the first time. Is there anything I should know going into it?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Montalvo posted:

Finally getting to try Sproggiwood for the first time. Is there anything I should know going into it?
Don't be afraid to not fully explore a floor. Upgrade the Market right away for cheaper items. Abuse the 'free' moves that let you take another action as well before the enemy acts. Have an escape plan at all times.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Montalvo posted:

HP Regen of any sort is great. Buying a potion gives you a copy at the start of every level (I.E. reuseable).

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Rafza posted:

Granblue Fantasy's english option is probably ready soon, there's been some data mining of UI/splash elements.

Its another grindfestcollectathon heavy with the trappings of FF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTPsJAizP0

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CrashCat posted:

Don't be afraid to not fully explore a floor. Upgrade the Market right away for cheaper items. Abuse the 'free' moves that let you take another action as well before the enemy acts. Have an escape plan at all times.

If you are having a problem with a class on a certain level and need to get 100% unlocks, get the confuse potion and scramble all your powers. Typically you get a game braking combination that allows you finish the level with ease.

Also, make sure you kill the black or grey jellies in a place where you can step over the puddle. If you don't, they respawn. If you have a pet on a level where they are don't use the pet, since they'll run off screen and kill a bunch and then spawn them exponentially.

Figure out how to get the gold fish to line up so you can kill them both in one shot. Learn their spawn pattern, like when you see one, you know the next one is up and right one square off screen and you need to kill it next turn.

I played it for a while, but it's sort of stupid hard later when the levels have those enemy portals that spawn enemies that make you teleport when you get hit and you just get warped around a level and die instantly.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shine posted:

Desktop Dungeons is fun, but its interface doesn't seem like it was designed for phones, or touch interfaces in general. Super tiny text crammed into small boxes, tool tips with tiny text that are obscured by the digit pressing the thing to bring them up, etc. I'm playing this on a Note and can't imagine doing so on a smaller phone. I assume based on the name that this is a ported PC title, but they did a very poor job making it phone-friendly.

I played it years ago on PC, had no idea it had been ported.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Drakes posted:

Granblue Fantasy's english option is probably ready soon, there's been some data mining of UI/splash elements.

Its another grindfestcollectathon heavy with the trappings of FF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTPsJAizP0

ive been waitin for this to finally try this game out
Someone mentioned the best time to create a new profile is when they do whatever they call their 'easier to pull a rare thing from the gacha thing'.
Whats the odds theyll do one when they finally roll this out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any suggestions for Room Escape type games that aren't irritating pixel hunts? I really enjoyed The Room and The Room 2, and looking for similar titles.