Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sleepwalkers posted:

The NBC Sports Live Extra app had PIP race alongside the ads. Did the TV feed not do that?

I downloaded the sky coverage and watched that because I wanted to avoid the commercials and I didn't stay up to watch the race live. Last season NBC only did the picture in picture on half of the commercial breaks, and did full screen commercials for the others.

Qualifying is even worse with 2 as breaks during q1 and 1 during q2. And those were always full screen. If they've improved that situation this season I'll be happy.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Unlike some i'm not interested in some kind of f1 digital package. There is no way they release that for anything less than $800 a year, just to make it expensive for the sake of being expensive. Like a f1 podcast i listen to says: "Are you NEW to formula 1?" Hell, i could see it being $1000 with a $5000 "paddock pass" that is just second screen functionality.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

too many of you are assuming FOM is incompetent when in reality they only care about money and, at present, they are able to maximize their earnings in a way that isn't good for most people. if and when they decide to release a streaming-only package, they are not going to release it a price point that immediately excludes all people who would actually consider purchasing it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Cant afford the paddock pass? The sky sports package is only $100 a month :bernin:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Unlike some i'm not interested in some kind of f1 digital package. There is no way they release that for anything less than $800 a year, just to make it expensive for the sake of being expensive. Like a f1 podcast i listen to says: "Are you NEW to formula 1?" Hell, i could see it being $1000 with a $5000 "paddock pass" that is just second screen functionality.

who would pay for this?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

who would pay for this?

Someone who buys a rolex.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

no they wouldn't. they would just have cable.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

no they wouldn't. they would just have cable.

I suppose they would just have a $10 Casio that keeps better time instead of the rolex as well.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

you guys make it exceedingly difficult to not get probated out of this thread

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I mean I'm half joking but off the top of my head I know four or five people that would gladly blow $5k on some "premium F1 streaming package". They'd be dumb to do so but that really isn't my problem.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

regardless, the fact of the matter is that FOM only cares about money, they are not going to release a streaming package (remember, this is a thing that primarily appeals to cord cutters i.e. people who care about saving money) for $800. they're just not going to do that. it makes zero sense.

wicka fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 25, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

regardless, the fact of the matter is that FOM only cares about money, they are not going to release a streaming package (remember, this is a thing that primarily appeals to cord cutters i.e. people who care about saving money) for $800. they're just not going to do that. it makes zero sense.

I'm not saying there is any rational economic model that would say pricing it at $800 versus $100 is a good idea. What I am saying is there people out there in the world dumb enough to pay that much.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Like a f1 podcast i listen to says: "Are you NEW to formula 1?"

Thank you for quoting this pithy point from an F1 podcast you listen to.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

1500quidporsche posted:

Exactly!

So i dont get probated for a one word post, i'd like to ask a question about the new radio regulations. Mercades made a lot of noise this week about how nico wasnt allowed to be told about his brake overheating situation, are they allowed to convey this information via pit board? How hard/illegal would it have been to make

"P1 ROS
BRKHEAT"
HAM +.9
L45"

and display it?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 25, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm not saying there is any rational economic model that would say pricing it at $800 versus $100 is a good idea. What I am saying is there people out there in the world dumb enough to pay that much.

but the point is that FOM operates on rational economic models

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Exactly!

So i dont get probated for a one word post, i'd like to ask a question about the new radio regulations. Mercades made a lot of noise this week about how nico wasnt allowed to be told about his brake overheating situation, are they allowed to convey this information via pit board? How hard/illegal would it have been to make

"P1 ROS
BRKHEAT"
HAM +.9
L45"

and display it?

I don't think they are allowed to. I looked into it way back when they first started banning radio stuff thinking it was an easy loophole, but I think it extends to pit board stuff as well.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Mercades made a lot of noise this week about how nico wasnt allowed to be told about his brake overheating situation, are they allowed to convey this information via pit board?

The restrictions apply to all team-to-driver communication, not just radio.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So I'm working my way through 2006 and watch the Australian Grand Prix now, holy poo poo was Schumacher pretty crap by that point. It's a helluva contrast to '97 where he was absolutely relentless, but he's just driving like a jackass by 2006.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

be nice wicka posted:

you guys make it exceedingly difficult to not get probated out of this thread

https://www.change.org/getwickasmomanaccount

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
son, did you notice how Kimi tiene ganas de helado jaja

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Exactly!

"P1 ROS
BRKHEAT"
HAM +.9
L45"

and display it?

I'm pretty certain they said they opted to not tell him, not that they couldn't. They are allowed to radio stuff in the name of safety, they just chose not to.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

So I'm working my way through 2006 and watch the Australian Grand Prix now, holy poo poo was Schumacher pretty crap by that point. It's a helluva contrast to '97 where he was absolutely relentless, but he's just driving like a jackass by 2006.

you should probably watch more of 2006

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, like monaco qualifying

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

poty posted:

son, did you notice how Kimi tiene ganas de helado jaja

él fue tomando una mierda jajaja

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/03/analysis-the-numbers-show-why-formula-1-took-the-exclusive-sky-deal/

quote:

Now consider that Sky has been paying £45m a year for its rights, during this time of shared rights. With the Channel 4 fee on top that has meant a yield from the UK for F1 of £70m a year. This is roughly twice what ITV was paying 10 years ago and about 80% more than the 2009 BBC exclusive deal.

In recent weeks a bidding war has been taking place between the two broadcasters and it has led to a 150% uplift in the yield from UK TV rights for F1, taking it to almost five times what BBC was paying for its original contract from 2009-2011. Over six years that’s roughly a billion pounds.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

£1 billion for F1 over 6 years is a loving rip-off.

That's about £8,000,000 a race before the cost of actually hosting it airing it, producing it etc.

........but it sort of adds up. 1 million viewers at approx £15 per race would seemingly give a clear profit before ad revenue is added in.

It's a shocking rip off, but you can see how Sky are raking it in, even with relatively lovely viewing figures compared to the BBC.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres no way sky are getting 1 million viewers a race. I'd be surprised if they clear 100,000.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

viewership doesn't matter. it's like hbo or netflix. they don't care about ratings, they care about subscribers. if subscriptions increase due to them having F1, what difference does it make if those people actually watch the races? they've already got their money.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
pretty certain sponsors care quite a lot about the size of the audience they are getting

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

serious gaylord posted:

Theres no way sky are getting 1 million viewers a race. I'd be surprised if they clear 100,000.

I'm pretty sure they were peaking at around 1 - 1.5 million last season compared to BBC's average of 2-3 million. I'd google it, but I can't be bothered.

But as wicka said, if sky gets another 250,000 subscribers because of the loss of free-to-air, that's another £78million or so a year, so what do they care if only 40% of them watch all the races.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

pretty certain sponsors care quite a lot about the size of the audience they are getting

which sponsors?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

be nice wicka posted:

which sponsors?

This Is A Cool Spot and ForzaJules are my favourite on-car sponsors.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Brainwrong posted:

I'm pretty sure they were peaking at around 1 - 1.5 million last season compared to BBC's average of 2-3 million. I'd google it, but I can't be bothered.

But as wicka said, if sky gets another 250,000 subscribers because of the loss of free-to-air, that's another £78million or so a year, so what do they care if only 40% of them watch all the races.

I dont think that makes much difference either. Most households had sky before they got the rights, which is exactly why they put the F1 channel on their standard packages where you didn't need sky sports for it. I really, really doubt they hoovered up many new subscriptions. Sky was pretty much at saturation point years ago.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
UK Sky got 360k average across sky sports 1 and sky F1 from 3:30am to 9am with a peak of 423k. This does not include the figures form sky italia or sky Germany. It's hardly fair to be looking at these figures given that it does not include repeats at a reasonable hour. It's a bit no poo poo Sherlock the figures were down compared to the last race which was broadcast in the afternoon and not at stupid o clock in the morning. The biggest mystery here is why in god's green earth when the vast majority of your viewers are on euro time, would you have the first race of the year in the early hours of the morning.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

be nice wicka posted:

which sponsors?

pretty much everyone who have an interest in using the cars/tracks/adverts as an advertising platform for their company

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

pretty much everyone who have an interest in using the cars/tracks/adverts as an advertising platform for their company

sky doesn't answer to them.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

Triple A posted:

I'm sure the very second that Ferrari has any sort of financial difficulty due to dwindling viewers, then we'll see action. Until that time though, Bernie's response to teams facing sponsorship difficulties will be "Tough, not my problem."

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Brainwrong posted:

I'm sure the very second that Ferrari has any sort of financial difficulty due to dwindling viewers, then we'll see action. Until that time though, Bernie's response to teams facing sponsorship difficulties will be "Tough, not my problem."

and by that point, the problem will be well beyond terminal

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

and by that point, the problem will be well beyond terminal

right, the people who have proven themselves time and time and time again to be able to squeeze the most money out of F1 are incapable of seeing "OK, viewership and revenues are dwindling, let's change things" and instead will gently caress up their investment for the first time in like 40 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 isn't going anywhere. it makes a lot of money for people who are good at making a lot of money. the fact that they are currently doing so in a way that inconveniences you says quite literally nothing about the health of the sport.

• Locked thread