Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

I agree people who hate it just for not being the old show are dumb, but it's apparently got some gross dumb problamatic stuff though. Even so, kids deserve smarter entertainment.

First hit on "teen titans go problamatic":

quote:

I can forgive TTG! that they ruined all continuity by having no one know who Terra is. I can forgive them for completely ruining a fantastic female character who had deep emotional issues and a legitimate story arc over the course of Season 2 in the original Teen Titans. I can forgive them for making her a character who openly hates the team as opposed to a covert spy and traitor.

What I can’t forgive is that this show perpetuates rape culture by blatantly ignoring consent. Watch this clip of the episode and focus specifically on the pictures Beast Boy has of him and Terra at the end of the clip.

It is not funny when a character who clearly says “no” to another character’s advances is brushed aside as a joke. What’s worse is that this is a major and recurring joke throughout the episode. Terra continuously rebuffs Beast Boy’s advances and the writers rebuff her complaints. She’s just a female character, after all. She doesn’t have autonomy over her own body or anything. No one wants to see the boat rocked by addressing issues of consent. It’s not as if consent is a real issue men and women have to deal with in real life or anything!

It’s a kids show yes, but before anyone tells me I’m over reacting, where do kids learn their behaviors if not from the media they’re exposed to? If no one questions this blatant disregard of Terra’s voice ignoring the woman becomes another piece of ordinary life to be glossed over as natural.

When Terra rejects Beast Boy’s advances, he has no right to continue to pursue her and Cyborg has no right to advise Beast Boy to press after her. It is even worse when Cyborg gets involved because that normalizes the behavior even more. Beast Boy can no longer be viewed as anomaly who acts in a way we are not supposed to approve of. No, his choices are validated by Cyborg’s advice. It is the men of the series conferring over and rejecting a woman’s decision. This suddenly doesn’t sound like a kid’s show, but rather a sexist insertion driving the plot as a running joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Can I say that I hated the episodes that were basically a vehicle for the show to lecture us about not liking them, because we're no-fun losers?

Or will that hurt the feelings of the TTGo fans here?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Moviebob posted his review of Batman V Superman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTKDtoBR-2M

I know Moviebob is a huge dork who over exaggerates. But, the only way I was going to go see this was if the movie was SURPRISINGLY good or so bad that it needs to be seen to be believed and after hearing Bob describe the plot...wow I think it loving nails the latter requirement.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Spark That Bled posted:

Can I say that I hated the episodes that were basically a vehicle for the show to lecture us about not liking them, because we're no-fun losers?

It's okay. I'll have a sense of humor for the both of us...

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

...I can’t forgive is that this show perpetuates rape culture by blatantly ignoring conse...
uh, three of us.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

TTG would be fine if it were a comedy that at least cared about its characters. Futurama, as an example, worked because the characters were like people. They have their interests and did jokes that naturally worked with them. Jokes in TTG would be that either one of the titans disagrees with The Plot, or 3-4 of them do. IE, it's a real bad comedy, on top of the fact that it destroyed a cast of heroes people liked, on top of, well, being shown nearly 50% of the time on CN's day block.

Really, if TTG was at least a fun comedy, I imagine people wouldn't be AS salty. (But still incredibly salty by the end of the day)

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

It was making fun of the people complaining it wasn't "serious" like Young Justice and Teen Titans ( if anyone actually thinks Teen Titans was a cartoon focused on being serious, I don't think they ever really watched the show), not making fun of people who didn't like it. If you are one of those people then yes , you are no fun.

LightningKimba posted:

TTG would be fine if it were a comedy that at least cared about its characters. Futurama, as an example, worked because the characters were like people. They have their interests and did jokes that naturally worked with them. Jokes in TTG would be that either one of the titans disagrees with The Plot, or 3-4 of them do. IE, it's a real bad comedy, on top of the fact that it destroyed a cast of heroes people liked, on top of, well, being shown nearly 50% of the time on CN's day block.

Really, if TTG was at least a fun comedy, I imagine people wouldn't be AS salty. (But still incredibly salty by the end of the day)

.....Actually watch the show dammit. There are many, many episodes in the show that are exactly like what you described in Futurama.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 25, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Stop talking about a lovely cartoon guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyxb87bddp4

Talk about lovely wrestling instead.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

My God, this PPV.

There's lovely wrestling that's at least funny to watch (Jenna vs. Sharmell in TNA is a good example), and then there's lovely wrestling that's just sad, because it's a bunch of broken-down old dudes who have no business being in the ring. Heroes of Wrestling is a prime example of making you feel bad for everyone involved.

Speaking of which, we finally got the modern-day counterpart to Bushwackers/Sheik/Koloff with last year's Villanos/Psycho Circus match at TripleMania. One of the Villanos is a literal stroke victim and still allowed to "wrestle," and the match is a huge disaster. Dave Meltzer gave it his first minus-five star rating since that infamous Heroes of Wrestling show.

I'd share a YouTube link but I don't hate you guys that much.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Testekill posted:

:smith:

The Attitude Era Podcast did an episode about Heroes of Wrestling like last year.

poo poo's even more depressing than I thought it would be.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 25, 2016

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Moviebob posted his review of Batman V Superman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTKDtoBR-2M

I know Moviebob is a huge dork who over exaggerates. But, the only way I was going to go see this was if the movie was SURPRISINGLY good or so bad that it needs to be seen to be believed and after hearing Bob describe the plot...wow I think it loving nails the latter requirement.

Usually when Bob dislikes something, its a sign that I'll like it. So far I've enjoyed every movie he criticized. Even Pixels(Tho that required alcohol and friends).

Also I liked Man of Steel, though me not being a Superman fan might have something to do with that.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 25, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Benne posted:

My God, this PPV.

There's lovely wrestling that's at least funny to watch (Jenna vs. Sharmell in TNA is a good example), and then there's lovely wrestling that's just sad, because it's a bunch of broken-down old dudes who have no business being in the ring. Heroes of Wrestling is a prime example of making you feel bad for everyone involved.

Speaking of which, we finally got the modern-day counterpart to Bushwackers/Sheik/Koloff with last year's Villanos/Psycho Circus match at TripleMania. One of the Villanos is a literal stroke victim and still allowed to "wrestle," and the match is a huge disaster. Dave Meltzer gave it his first minus-five star rating since that infamous Heroes of Wrestling show.

I'd share a YouTube link but I don't hate you guys that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo5VZNQrVgc

It's not the match but the Bryan & Vinny show did a great job of covering Triplemania

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Asuron posted:

It was making fun of the people complaining it wasn't "serious" like Young Justice and Teen Titans ( if anyone actually thinks Teen Titans was a cartoon focused on being serious, I don't think they ever really watched the show), not making fun of people who didn't like it. If you are one of those people then yes , you are no fun.

I don't think it's because it's not "serious", but because it just isn't funny.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

I don't think it's because it's not "serious", but because it just isn't funny.

You'd be very, very surprised then if you ever take a look at the discussion on the show anywhere but here.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Asuron posted:

You'd be very, very surprised then if you ever take a look at the discussion on the show anywhere but here.

You know what? I don't think I would be. At all.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Angry joe is very conflicted on the movie

He likes and hates many parts of the film in equal measure

And spoiler movie is pretty much hate

Annointed fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 25, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's this threads consensus on Jeremy jahns? He reviews movies and he's got a bit of jump cutting with his videos, but he seems like a genuinely nice guy who engages with his audience a fair bit.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Geekvolution posted a Batman v Superman video that got real awkward, real fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE7kv3Iht78

James Rolfe talks about it, and makes terrible guest host decisions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTJyfNPWRuY

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Do you mean the hat, the jacket or the really terrible decision to have a guy talk trough Skype without any kind of audio post processing?

e X fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 25, 2016

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Nope, that's AlphaOmegaSin.

E: And now I realise which video you're talking about...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Given the name, the attire and the hair I assume he is a YouTube atheism guy?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
With all the prerequisite "I am laid low by the matriarchy" antifeminist rants, yeah.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

James Rolfe talks about it, and makes terrible guest host decisions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTJyfNPWRuY
I kind of figured it was Alpha Omega Sin (he was in the crowd in the Jekyll and Hyde Team Showdown video, along with Spoony and a few other people), and yet I was still surprised.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gertrude Perkins posted:

With all the prerequisite "I am laid low by the matriarchy" antifeminist rants, yeah.

He wears the beanie to hide a hilarious skullet, doesn't he

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How was Ben Affleck as Batman?

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
From what I've heard, good despite having nothing to work with.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When I think "extremists", I think "people who get annoyed on twitter".

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Geekvolution posted a Batman v Superman video that got real awkward, real fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE7kv3Iht78

Hahahah, fedora-gentlesir's facial expression gets sadder and sadder as the clip plays on. He's really bummed a batman movie is getting bad reviews.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Given how much most of everything sucks, I'm shocked there haven't been more terrible batman movies. He should be weeping with joy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What's the best film review so far for Batman vs Superman?

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Bad fashion aside, Captain Logan seems like a pretty chill guy and I really like his superhero rewind videos. He comes across as very sincere and diplomatic in that video which I will always take over something like Bob Chipman's "This movie has me shaking with rage it's so bad!"

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

BigRed0427 posted:

...bad.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-PQALppFQ

But this reviewer says "it's close to perfect and Zac Snyder's work is like Kubrick's", so whom should I believe? Doesn't that make it a draw? :shrug:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

But this reviewer says "it's close to perfect and Zac Snyder's work is like Kubrick's", so whom should I believe? Doesn't that make it a draw? :shrug:

Teach the controversy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Grouchio posted:

The one you compose in your mind after watching the movie, preferably with a hot bowl of popcorn and a cold drink

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Walter Chaw's http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2016/03/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice.html

Or the 110% on Thomas Tomatoes http://www.thomastomatoes.com/#home-1

As far as Ben Affleck's Batman, he's good but the only real moment he gets to actually do anything with it is the party scene that's in the extended trailer. The rest of the character is lost to poo poo writing. Rather than finding ideologically sound reasons for two rational people to fight, the plot relies on both of these rational (and ostensibly brilliant) people being duped into fighting each other in a way that could be (and in the end is) resolved in about two sentences. As with Man of Steel, BvS operates on the idea that mentioning a theme or idea is the same thing as developing it. For a film that is so clearly trying to be about ideas it refuses to ever address them. Aside from the party scene (which, again, 90% of that conversation in the trailer, so we're not talking about a whole lot of screen time) there's nothing like the dinner in The Dark Knight where Dent, Bruce, Rachel, and the ballerina debate the ethics of Batman. While there's parts that, in isolation, kinda work and are promising there's no cohesion to the package as a whole.

And, no, it's not satire.

Inadvertently revealing that you have lovely opinions about the audience by "giving them what (you think) they want" isn't the same thing as satire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUw

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

This video has better editing than BvS.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Annointed posted:

Angry joe is very conflicted on the movie

He likes and hates many parts of the film in equal measure

And spoiler movie is pretty much hate

Didn't Angry Joe love Man of Steel? Ouch...

:lol:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Augus posted:

Didn't Angry Joe love Man of Steel? Ouch...

Yeah he loved Man of Steel. I remember the Nostalgia Critic (Ah yes, Man of Steel. That nostalgic movie from 2013) and Angry Joe did a back and forth review of it.

LFK posted:

Inadvertently revealing that you have lovely opinions about the audience by "giving them what (you think) they want" isn't the same thing as satire.

This is something I'm personally sick of too and claiming satire as a defense sounds a lot like "It's just a prank, bro!" to me at this point.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Is it just me or is she shilling really, REALLY loving hard in the first 3-4 minutes of this video?

Tracula fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 26, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Watchmen has Nixon as a supporting character and Lee Iacocca gets shot through the head in graphic detail. And also there's that preposterous sex scene. In light of the source material and the fun it seems to have with Verhovenian excess, Watchmen has to be satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Watchmen has Nixon as a supporting character and Lee Iacocca gets shot through the head in graphic detail. And also there's that preposterous sex scene. In light of the source material and the fun it seems to have with Verhovenian excess, Watchmen has to be satire.
A satire of what?

• Locked thread