Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

I've only 2 fingers, and it's not like it's slow, it's like "I will never accept touch input"

What happened to your other eight fingers? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I was looking at the LTE bands, and the SE changes things around again. Once again, the Sprint model is the special snowflake in the US, and Band 30 is absent from the AT&T model, which doesn't seem like it was a big deal on the special snowflake AT&T 6s.

So outside of the Sprint model, the SE is interchangeable? I was wondering about that, since the 5S isn't interchangeable between ATT and Verizon, but figured the 6A chipset would make it work.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Maneki Neko posted:

My phone wasn't bulging at all, just touch screen would randomly not work. The "I see this all the time" comment was in response to that.

Were you plugged into a charger by any chance when it happened? I had a weird thing the other day where I was plugged into a USB power port at an airport gate and the touch functionality was wigging out on my 6S+. I remembered reading somewhere that voltage problems can cause the touchscreen to act up so I pulled out my AC adapter and everything went back to normal. I assume the USB port was not regulated correctly.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Guys, it's fully Amazeballs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Maneki Neko posted:

My phone wasn't bulging at all, just touch screen would randomly not work. The "I see this all the time" comment was in response to that.

I had this happen for the first ~48 hours of owning my 6S, but did not happen on my 6. I could unlock w/ Touch ID immediately, but the screen would be unresponsive for about 5 seconds. It's never happened again. I suspect it was just either new hardware growing pains or new iOS restore/indexing issues. Did it only start happening right after updating to 9.3? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. If it persists any longer than a few days, then maybe something's up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheWevel posted:

Were you plugged into a charger by any chance when it happened?

Funnily enough I've been having issues with TouchID while plugged in. I'm staying at a friends house and I have a new non-Apple wall charger, not sure if it's related to one or both of those. It works, it just takes foreeeeeever for some reason.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My brother's got an iPhone 5s. A few months ago he started getting a generic 'SIM Error' message, and took it to Verizon; they put a new SIM in, didn't work. He took it to the Apple store, they tried 3 different SIMS before one finally worked. It'd been fine for a while but starting this week he's getting the 'SIM Error' messages again. He's consistently had the phone updated to the latest software; time for a new phone for him?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

fourwood posted:

I gotta say... I think I still would rather have my 6S than an SE, but... having an SE and $250 is really tempting. We'll see how the 4" models shake out in the next couple years when it's upgrade time.

I'm so tempted to try and sell my 6s and replace it with the SE, trying to remain strong but having a normal sized phone again would be so nice. Having switched to the 6s from the 5s last December the 6s is just plain too big. It's awkward as hell to use.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Minidust posted:

Just upgraded to a 64GB SE on a 2 year Sprint contract and it was, in fact, $49.99! :hellyeah:

Doing the same thing at the Apple store on launch day. My account is upgrade eligible, and I get 150 trade in for the 5s, so the 64gb SE AND Applecare+ is basically free.

I have tiny bitch hands, so even though I like the features of the 6 and 6s, I don't like the size. I could give a poo poo about the 3d touch or selfie cam, so this is the phone I've been wishing Apple would loving make for a year and a half.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

But the slower TouchID

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

japtor posted:

Tried restarting?

That solved it.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I have been trying to figure out for 2 days now to make it so I can get certain calls from certain people.

I have done every guide I can find online to no avail.

Apparently you can only create groups on icloud.com and not on the phone itself. So I created a group called "URGENT" and put certain people in it. I also put my roommate's phone number in it for testing.

I put the phone in Do Not Disturb mode and I try from my roommate's phone and my phone will not ring. I don't know why. Her phone is in my "URGENT" group, and I have Do Not Disturb set to only allow calls to ring from those marked URGENT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can assure you that I've been messing around with this for 2 days now and am getting nowhere. Thank you!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Melmac posted:

I have been trying to figure out for 2 days now to make it so I can get certain calls from certain people.

I have done every guide I can find online to no avail.

Apparently you can only create groups on icloud.com and not on the phone itself. So I created a group called "URGENT" and put certain people in it. I also put my roommate's phone number in it for testing.

I put the phone in Do Not Disturb mode and I try from my roommate's phone and my phone will not ring. I don't know why. Her phone is in my "URGENT" group, and I have Do Not Disturb set to only allow calls to ring from those marked URGENT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can assure you that I've been messing around with this for 2 days now and am getting nowhere. Thank you!

Why don't you just add them to favourites in your contacts? Then they'll get through even on DND if you change the setting in Do Not Disturb to allow calls from Favorites😊

Just go to Contacts, then Favourites and click the + in the top right!

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 25, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

So outside of the Sprint model, the SE is interchangeable? I was wondering about that, since the 5S isn't interchangeable between ATT and Verizon, but figured the 6A chipset would make it work.

Yep. The Sprint one will work on AT&T and T-Mobile, but it's missing a Verizon LTE band. The other model is AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon and presumably Verizon will continue to whitelist unlocked iPhones.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
So if I bought an SE at apple for full price and slapped my verizon prepaid sim into it would it just plug and play or would I need to do something special?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I just ordered a 64GB SE to replace my 6. Really excited. I'm on Sprint. Is it very easy to have my Sprint 6 unlocked? If Sprint unlocks it, can I give it to my girlfriend on AT&T and it'll work for her seamlessly? I haven't really done this before, so I want to be sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Killer Queen posted:

I just ordered a 64GB SE to replace my 6. Really excited. I'm on Sprint. Is it very easy to have my Sprint 6 unlocked? If Sprint unlocks it, can I give it to my girlfriend on AT&T and it'll work for her seamlessly? I haven't really done this before, so I want to be sure.
Here's Sprint's unlocking requirements: http://sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

If your 6 meets that, they'll unlock it. You have to restore it through iTunes for the unlock to go through, but you'd probably want to do that anyway. From there, yeah, just pop in an AT&T SIM and it should work without a problem.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
IPhone SIM Unlocks (at least for Sprint) can get pushed over the air now without requiring an iTunes restore. Since it's Apple that handles the activation process and maintains an unlocked iPhone whitelist, I assume that's true for all carrier locked phones getting an unlock.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Donald Kimball posted:

But the slower TouchID

I don't really give a poo poo about the faster touch ID.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

AstroZamboni posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about the faster touch ID.

You should... It's Amazeballs.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

IPhone SIM Unlocks (at least for Sprint) can get pushed over the air now without requiring an iTunes restore. Since it's Apple that handles the activation process and maintains an unlocked iPhone whitelist, I assume that's true for all carrier locked phones getting an unlock.

Does this mean I could buy a secondhand Sprint iPhone and use it on AT&T?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You should... It's Amazeballs.

It's especially great for never being able to see your lock screen notifications ever again.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

bobfather posted:

It's especially great for never being able to see your lock screen notifications ever again.

Hmmmm yase no way to turn on screen without my fingerprint directly on the sensor.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

bobfather posted:

So wake with the power button or an unregistered fingat.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jesus Christ this again.

"There's literally no way to wake the screen other than to press a TouchID registered finger, to the TouchID sensor" -- some dipshit everytime TouchID is mentioned.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Unity Gain posted:

So wake with the power button or an unregistered fingat.

Use my middle, ring, or pinkie finger to wake up my phone, like some pleb? No thanks.

Also, sleep/wake button is in a silly spot on the jumboest iPhone, so I can't even reach it. Laffo.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's just an inconvenience after coming off of 8 or 9 different iPhones wherein that's how you interacted with whatever was on your lockscreen.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

bobfather posted:

Use my middle, ring, or pinkie finger to wake up my phone, like some pleb? No thanks.

Also, sleep/wake button is in a silly spot on the jumboest iPhone, so I can't even reach it. Laffo.

Insane to think I can press on the home/sensor with my thumb half off, expending no extra energy, while waking the phone and thusly also not leaving the lock screen.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's just an inconvenience after coming off of 8 or 9 different iPhones wherein that's how you interacted with whatever was on your lockscreen.

No, you see, I'm just using it wrong.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

Turn off Touch ID

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

bobfather posted:

No, you see, I'm just using it wrong.

This is literally true. Also your a dumnass.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Insane to think I can press on the home/sensor with my thumb half off, expending no extra energy, while waking the phone and thusly also not leaving the lock screen.

:ssh:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The touch ID sensitivity is so high that Apple didn't care to put the sensor on any of its new iPads or its new iPhone.

Also, the M7 motion coprocessor was dumb for 1 phone generation and only worked when the phone was awake, until they figured out a way to keep it active at all times without tanking the battery.

Hey Siri was dumb for 1 phone generation and only worked while plugged in, until they figured out a way to keep it active at all times without tanking the battery.

Next they'll fix the touch ID sensor to be active at all times without tanking the battery, so something like touching the ring will wake the screen, and pushing the button (or force touching it) with a valid finger will unlock the phone.

See? I fixed the iPhone so you don't have to use it like a silly goose.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

bobfather posted:

Next they'll fix the touch ID sensor to be active at all times without tanking the battery, so something like touching the ring will wake the screen, and pushing the button (or force touching it) with a valid finger will unlock the phone.

Or they'll just add an option to set a small delay between when the button is pressed and when it activates the sensor.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

Here's Sprint's unlocking requirements: http://sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

If your 6 meets that, they'll unlock it. You have to restore it through iTunes for the unlock to go through, but you'd probably want to do that anyway. From there, yeah, just pop in an AT&T SIM and it should work without a problem.

Nice. That seems really easy. I'm glad that I can just hand over my old iPhone and it'll work for my girlfriend immediately.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

drat, I'm lettin out the iliminatie secrets, sorry

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Does this mean I could buy a secondhand Sprint iPhone and use it on AT&T?

If Sprint has unlocked it and it's a 6 or newer, yes.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

bobfather posted:

The touch ID sensitivity is so high that Apple didn't care to put the sensor on...its new iPhone.

That's because the SE is a budget option with kinda nice internal specs, so they need to leave some nicer features on the flagship to draw people in for differentiation and profit padding. Not for the reason you think.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Melmac posted:

Stupid question: Her phone number actually shows up when she calls, right?

If she has her Caller ID blocked (or it's getting eaten in some network handoff), your phone has no idea she's the one calling, so it won't ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

God bless ZIFF connectors held in by adhesive. If I had to guess, the adhesive just wore out and the connector separated.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Funnily enough I've been having issues with TouchID while plugged in. I'm staying at a friends house and I have a new non-Apple wall charger, not sure if it's related to one or both of those. It works, it just takes foreeeeeever for some reason.

Poor electrical grounding perhaps? The TouchID works, as I understand it, by having the ring around the fingerprint sensor acting as ground to trigger the sensor. Non-apple wall chargers, despite looking like apple wall chargers, can have really really scary-bad internals.