Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was actually more annoyed at The Walking Dead than The 100 -- mostly because Merrit Weaver is a) awesome and b) quite a good actor.

I never thought that Debnam-Carey was particularly bad, but she's nowhere near Weaver's class.

She was loving killing it in that scene. Right when it was happening I was thinking, "wow this is such a great breakout moment for this charac--THUNK"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/21/twd-the-100-lesbian-tv-deaths
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...r-a6945491.html
http://fusion.net/story/283340/dead-lesbian-syndrome-on-tv/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bury-your-gays-why-100-877176
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/03/walking-dead-denise-dead-lesbian-trope-the-100

plenty of people are talking about it, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

There is nowhere near as much internet freakout over Denise as there was over Lexa, and most of the Denise stuff is "that one too, just like Lexa!" as a way to bolster the argument that Lexa's death was part of a conspiracy to perpetrate a trope or trick gays into watching tv and then kill them.

[notaspoiler]You're gonna be really pissed off too when you see the level of twitterverse outrage when Negan bashes Darryl or Glen's skull in, should that happen, vs what you're seeing with Denise.[/notaspoiler]

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

people are super pissed about :phoneline:, you just aren't looking in the right places

The Internet in a nutshell.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Astroman posted:

There is nowhere near as much internet freakout over Denise as there was over Lexa, and most of the Denise stuff is "that one too, just like Lexa!" as a way to bolster the argument that Lexa's death was part of a conspiracy to perpetrate a trope or trick gays into watching tv and then kill them.

[notaspoiler]You're gonna be really pissed off too when you see the level of twitterverse outrage when Negan bashes Darryl or Glen's skull in, should that happen, vs what you're seeing with Denise.[/notaspoiler]

Denise wasn't near as popular a character as Lexa, or really that important at all of a character besides being the doctor that sometimes got to do things on twd compared to Lexa, who was the love interest for the main character and leader of one of the main groups of people in series with a huge lgbt fanbase that actively advertised her storyline to those fans to get them to watch, so of course the reaction isn't going to be as big.

they're different circumstances. that doesn't mean there hasn't been a reaction and it's dumb as hell to not draw comparisons between the two because of the similar ways they died and the fact the characters were members of the same minority. pretending it was because Denise was fat or not as attractive or whatever narrative people are trying to spin to explain it away is insulting.

the whole lgbt fans deserve better movement has moved beyond lexa because, surprise, people are lovely about these things all over the place on all sorts of different shows!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
this thread owns these days

"lolololol tumblr"
"here is literal, physical evidence and/or multiple paragraphs directly refuting your stance"
"doesnt count also haha tumblr"

repeat for 30 pages

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Monicro posted:

"lolololol tumblr"
"here is literal, physical evidence and/or multiple paragraphs directly refuting your stance"

I think I'd be less frustrated with the situation if I'd seen some actual proof. Like, videos, basically. Most of what has been presented in this thread so far has been hearsay (specifically regarding the cast's reactions to Rothenburg).

Like, I'd love to believe that the situation was as clearly as one-sided as one or two posters present, but the entire thing seems to be filtered through with a lot of really unreliable stuff.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Monicro posted:

"lolololol tumblr"

repeat for 30 pages

seriously, here I'll share a quote that breaks it down even more

"This is day 80/365 of 2016 and Dr. Denise Cloyd is the 8th queer woman to die on primetime this year. A queer woman has died on our screens every 10 days in 2016.

According to GLAAD’s 2015 report of “Where We Are On TV” of the 881 regular characters expected to appear on broadcast primetime programming this year, 4% were identified as gay, lesbian, or bisexual. There were 23 lesbian characters, 33 gay characters, 12 bisexual females, and 2 bisexual males.

In 2015 there were only 35 fictional wlw characters on television and 80 days into 2016 they’ve killed 10 of them.

That is almost a third. In less than 3 full months of the year."

you can pretend it's not a big deal but it's obviously a big deal for a lot of people and they're getting really tired of it. that doesn't mean writers have to give a poo poo or do anything about it, but the people who are watching are making their voices heard, and they have a right to that. you may not give a poo poo and that's cool, whatever. but pretending like it's just shippers mad their ship was sunk is hilariously wrong. that's why mainstream publications are picking this up-- it's more than a fandom squabble that's just going to blow over. it is a disturbing pattern in media that is getting called out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monicro posted:

"lolololol tumblr"

repeat for 30 pages

Finally, someone with sense.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

The top commenter nailed it:

I'm more annoyed about it from the strong warrior random death perspective. If you're gonna write her off have her lose in the duel or something Hamlet style.

Next week: Octavia dies offscreen to an infected hangnail

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Troposphere posted:

According to GLAAD’s 2015 report of “Where We Are On TV” of the 881 regular characters expected to appear on broadcast primetime programming this year, 4% were identified as gay, lesbian, or bisexual. There were 23 lesbian characters, 33 gay characters, 12 bisexual females, and 2 bisexual males.
In 2015 there were only 35 fictional wlw characters on television and 80 days into 2016 they’ve killed 10 of them.

The GLAAD report deals with regular characters, not guest or recurring ones, there have been way more then 881 characters on TV in 2015. Those characters usually die once their contract ends or their actor becomes unavailable, it's the easiest way for the writers not to have to explain constantly how character X is doing and why she is not in this episode where she would be logical to a appear.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Beyond that, the Eight Queer Women Dying In Primetime thing is fudging it a bit, certainly going by this list.

I'll keep it vague to preserve spoilers, but one character's pansexuality was obscured to the point where the reveal of her interests was limited to a blink-and-you'll-miss-it text-based easter egg on the corner of the screen. Her sexuality wasn't ever actually represented with any visibility, and so her death can't really be considered a form of queer punishment or queer erasure by any standard I understand.

The other character was a single episode guest star (and so by the rules of the list shouldn't really count). Beyond that, the show she was in used her death to make a positive argument about empowerment and euthanasia, and clearly seemed intended to contrast against an overly idealised heteronormative narrative (that the episode went on to prove was false).

They're also both characters who appeared on late night basic cable, so they're not exactly primetime either.

I mean, the frequency is still awful, but it doesn't really do much to sway me from the idea that Lexa is being held up to a different standard than any of the other characters who died this year were. Other queer women tend to be lumped in as statistics, whereas the discourse that surrounds Lexa, while incorporating those other arguments, tends to be much more personal. And it's that personal quality that I find suspect.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 25, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
it's personal because the wlw fandom for the 100 was huge, way more than most shows that feature queer women(mainly because queer women aren't usually important characters). a similar outcry happened when the queer girls on glee got poo poo on, because the wlw community for that was large because they were somewhat important characters. same with Tara from Buffy. lesbians don't usually get to be The Love Interest so it drew a lot of people in as a first. I really don't get what's suspect about that.

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 25, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:rolleyes:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
It's not the show's fault you live in a lovely country where someone's sexuality still somehow is a topic of controversy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh no, they killed a character who has outlived pretty much everybody anybody of their significance in that series... Let's ignore the fact the show also features a gay male couple, which is way less represented in media because we don't actually give a poo poo about things unless they hurt MAAAH FEELINGS because we are autistic.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

steinrokkan posted:

Oh no, they killed a character who has outlived pretty much everybody anybody of their significance in that series... Let's ignore the fact the show also features a gay male couple, which is way less represented in media because we don't actually give a poo poo about things unless they hurt MAAAH FEELINGS because we are autistic.

congrats on missing the point entirely you big goddamn goon

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

congrats on missing the point entirely you big goddamn goon

The best part of that post is when he says gay men are more marginalized in media than lesbians, which as a bi dude is a statement i refuse to even try to wrap my head around

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Also on a semantic note calling being over-emotional autistic doesnt even make any sense, like, what

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Write no more gay characters problem solved. No but seriously I read some of those tweets in those links about TWD and people literally expect gay characters to not die. Like that's a really character restriction to write to.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They should have put Lexa on a bus to Opal City.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Write no more gay characters problem solved. No but seriously I read some of those tweets in those links about TWD and people literally expect gay characters to not die. Like that's a really character restriction to write to.

then you're an idiot, because that's not what people are saying.

If there were a proportional amount of LGBT characters in TV shows then killing them off wouldn't be a problem. There are not only not a proportional amount of LGBT characters in media, especially wrt lesbians, but we get killed off at significantly higher rates.

Basically what I'm saying is that we're criticizing "the black dude dies first" and y'all are bitching about it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Monicro posted:

Also on a semantic note calling being over-emotional autistic doesnt even make any sense, like, what

Nah, empathy and communication are problems with autism. They aren't literally robots that don't feel things themselves though, and they are entirely capable of [And in some cases of more severely impaired mental development, more inclined towards] emotional outbursts when disturbed. So calling someone over-emotional and autistic is to imply they don't understand anyone else's feelings and are throwing a tantrum because things aren't going their way. AKA basically every personal attack on the internet that isn't "I nailed your mom and you are gay".

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nah, empathy and communication are problems with autism. They aren't literally robots that don't feel things themselves though, and they are entirely capable of [And in some cases of more severely impaired mental development, more inclined towards] emotional outbursts when disturbed. So calling someone over-emotional and autistic is to imply they don't understand anyone else's feelings and are throwing a tantrum because things aren't going their way. AKA basically every personal attack on the internet that isn't "I nailed your mom and you are gay".

This is correct and in retrospect that was v insensitive of me, apologies

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
What if there a load of gay / lesbian / bisexual characters in both The 100 and The Walking Dead, but they are just background characters / zombies?

Under-representation will always be a problem, but wouldn't crowbarring in an LGBT character into the show without them having anything else to their character be just as bad.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Criticising this show for not doing enough for LGBTQ+ representation seems a bit unfair. Now the first homosexual character died (who was just a guest character to begin with), after the show has already killed many many straight lead and main characters. The only happy couples in season 3 so far are homosexual couples, same for the sex scenes. I think the only straight couple so far is Octavia and Lincoln, and they are not really happy right now. I am sure you will find many shows on TV that are worse in terms of lgbtq+ representation and where complaints would be justified.
And in the end, let's not forget, TV shows are primarily meant to entertain and not make us better people or whatever.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Monicro posted:

"lolololol tumblr"

repeat for 30 pages

:agreed:
Seriously, can we put that whole Lexa thing to rest already?

Troposphere posted:

seriously, here I'll share a quote that breaks it down even more

"This is day 80/365 of 2016 and Dr. Denise Cloyd is the 8th queer woman to die on primetime this year. A queer woman has died on our screens every 10 days in 2016.

That is almost a third. In less than 3 full months of the year."

you can pretend it's not a big deal but it's obviously a big deal for a lot of people and they're getting really tired of it. that doesn't mean writers have to give a poo poo or do anything about it, but the people who are watching are making their voices heard, and they have a right to that. you may not give a poo poo and that's cool, whatever. but pretending like it's just shippers mad their ship was sunk is hilariously wrong. that's why mainstream publications are picking this up-- it's more than a fandom squabble that's just going to blow over. it is a disturbing pattern in media that is getting called out.

Okay. Now I'm officially asking for imaginary plot armour for gay people. Please TV Writers, create a bubble around all your gay and lesbians characters and never let them be hurt or killed again. Like, I want a visible impenetrable physical barrier around them, just so all these types of discussions are forever put to rest.

See the problem is not that these people are making their voice heard. Its that they're being hysterical about it and demanding for shows to be cancelled.
10 years ago, gay characters simply didn't exist. Now they do and it stands to reason that some of them will die when included in a show like The 100 or TWD. Now if they were to make a completely non violent show in which death is literally not part of the equation, then add a gay character and kill him/her, I'd be 100% behind this folly. But as it stands now, the whole thing is being ridiculous.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 25, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Monicro posted:

The best part of that post is when he says gay men are more marginalized in media than lesbians, which as a bi dude is a statement i refuse to even try to wrap my head around

yeah that made me laugh. in what
world is this in anyway true, I wonder...

I honestly wouldn't have said anything if people didn't keep complaining that omg people aren't freaking out about Denise that just proves my point!!! checkmate!! so if you all want me to shut up about it maybe stop making terrible wrong posts?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Monicro posted:

I'd tend to believe him based on the fact that most guys love to see lesbians but are still squirmish about seeing gay dudes.
This is anecdotal evidence but most people I know look away when a dick is shown on tv but will literally lean in for any part of a girl's body.

Then again maybe I just happen to hang around with perverts. :shrug:

The Iron Rose posted:

then you're an idiot, because that's not what people are saying.

If there were a proportional amount of LGBT characters in TV shows then killing them off wouldn't be a problem. There are not only not a proportional amount of LGBT characters in media, especially wrt lesbians, but we get killed off at significantly higher rates.

Basically what I'm saying is that we're criticizing "the black dude dies first" and y'all are bitching about it.

What do you mean by proportional amount of LGBT characters? Proportional to what? reality? Or 1 gay/lesbian per straight character?

Dalael fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 25, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Dalael posted:

I'd tend to believe him based on the fact that most guys love to see lesbians but are still squirmish about seeing gay dudes.
This is anecdotal evidence but most people I know look away when a dick is shown on tv but will literally lean in for any part of a girl's body.

Then again maybe I just happen to hang around with perverts. :shrug:

stop and think that maybe having their sexual identity fetishized by straight men isn't a thing that lesbians want at all and isn't progressive in any way shape or form, and actually actively does harm

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Troposphere posted:

stop and think that maybe having their sexual identity fetishized by straight men isn't a thing that lesbians want at all and isn't progressive in any way shape or form, and actually actively does harm

What I meant to say is that I feel like we see more lesbians on TV than we see gay's for that reason. We (straight) guys are fragile creatures who don't like to be shown gay dudes because we fear that looking at a guy's rear end or dick will instantly make us want to suck it. Our insecurities should be the basis of all good tv. :colbert:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
But yeah, I get what you mean. Lesbians on TV should absolutely not be about trying to pander to male audience and for that, I think the 100 did an awesome job.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think generally, being highly sexualized/fetishized isn't seen as a good thing.

Also, yeah Lexa had to die and while I'm sure some fans would be upset about that regardless, the main critique as I understand it is the timing and method of it. A death that would have been improved even with the extremely cliche jumping between Clarke and the gun.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think generally, being highly sexualized/fetishized isn't seen as a good thing.

Also, yeah Lexa had to die and while I'm sure some fans would be upset about that regardless, the main critique as I understand it is the timing and method of it. A death that would have been improved even with the extremely cliche jumping between Clarke and the gun.

I don't know... I liked the way Lexa died. I feel like it moves the story. The person who would go above and beyond to ensure her safety is the one who killed her because of his own irrationality. I think it was well made. A lot better than that Buffy scene you guys keep talking about.

Would it have been better if it had not happened right after the love scene? Most definitely. But I thought that scene itself was very well made and I can't wait to see how everything will turn out. Somehow, I have a feeling Murphy's about to be tortured again.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

New thread title options:

Discuss Dead Lesbians ITT

RIP in peace Lexa

??

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dalael posted:

I don't know... I liked the way Lexa died. I feel like it moves the story. The person who would go above and beyond to ensure her safety is the one who killed her because of his own irrationality. I think it was well made. A lot better than that Buffy scene you guys keep talking about.

Would it have been better if it had not happened right after the love scene? Most definitely. But I thought that scene itself was very well made and I can't wait to see how everything will turn out. Somehow, I have a feeling Murphy's about to be tortured again.

Yeah I'm not vehement about it the way some people might be, I just think "OOPS ACCIDENTALLY SHOT YOU AS YOU WALKED IN THE ROOM" is pretty silly no matter the context. My reaction to it as it happened was like a half assed eyeroll.

As for the Titus/Clarke loving lexa so hard it resulted in her death:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It wasn't awful or anything but idk how many more guilt plot lines this show needs.

It's not uninteresting, but it sort of feels like "character's positive intentions result in them doing something bad to the thing they care about" is something that's happened a whole lot in this show already.

I absolutely thought the aftermath of the shooting was interesting and well handled and am still very engaged in that plotline, especially since it laid a lot of really interesting implications.

hollylolly posted:

Discuss Dead Lesbians ITT

RIP in peace Lexa

??

Think-piece Thunderdome

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 25, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think hot lesbians are hot. Am i part of the solution or part of the problem?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

hollylolly posted:

The 100 (s3) - Two Lesbians Enter, One Lesbian Leaves

(I'm so sorry)

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

WarLocke posted:

The 100 (s3) - Two Lesbians Enter, One Lesbian Leaves

(I'm so sorry)

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I want to find out that after getting the chip, the Commander is constantly surrounded by virtual manifestations of the previous Commanders and they never shut up. Constantly commenting, suggesting, criticizing, complaining and so on.

• Locked thread