Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

psudonym55 posted:

How come the succubus and dryad weren't on the list to be voted for? Are they just really awful or something? Just curious.

They're special pre-order DLC that Chokes doesn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

They're special pre-order DLC that Chokes doesn't have.

Huh ok. I was just wondering as I decided to buy the game off of GOG after liking what I have seen of it so far here and I have both of them available and I certainly didn't pre-order it.
The gog version must have the dlc characters included in it i guess then.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

psudonym55 posted:

Huh ok. I was just wondering as I decided to buy the game off of GOG after liking what I have seen of it so far here and I have both of them available and I certainly didn't pre-order it.
The gog version must have the dlc characters included in it i guess then.

Yup. Chokes has the Steam version which doesn't have the Kickstarter bonus classes, but the GOG version does for some reason.

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
You can save-hack them into the steam version though just fine, I've found. Had a fully functional Succubus in my last run.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The main reason I didn't go through the trouble---other than not being familiar with them---is I didn't want people to be creepy :stare:

Anyway update should be coming simian, trying to get over a writer's block that a ridiculous work schedule has left me with. Stay tuned for what's going to happen to our new friend! Hopefully it won't be five years until the next update.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Chokes McGee posted:

The main reason I didn't go through the trouble---other than not being familiar with them---is I didn't want people to be creepy :stare:

Anyway update should be coming simian, trying to get over a writer's block that a ridiculous work schedule has left me with. Stay tuned for what's going to happen to our new friend! Hopefully it won't be five years until the next update.

I bet you'd totally write the Succubus/Dryad as the most boring people in the world, it'd be great. :allears:

Also, as long as no water pipes explode, things should be OK, right? :ohdear:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

I bet you'd totally write the Succubus/Dryad as the most boring people in the world, it'd be great. :allears:

Succubus shows up in a comfy sweater and crocs. All that whips and bat-wings stuff is just for the tourists after all, no need for it here.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Succubus is a women's rights activist, Dryad is an ex-girlfriend of Willow's. I'm telling you, this poo poo writes itself.

Too late, sadly, the train has already left the docks and has hit the highway.

rip and tear

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Willow was probably a crappy girlfriend anyway. :colbert:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Danakir posted:

Willow was probably a crappy girlfriend anyway. :colbert:

Dryad was under her spell.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Actually, I would think that Willow would HATE the dryad, since the dryad is for all intents and purposes a superior witch.

Also, while you can't pick them in the steam version, they're easy to hack into a party. Granted I would only do this if your first two picks were the witch and imp, and you switched them out asap. It gets a lot more complicated after that.

mauman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 22, 2016

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Why do you think they broke up? Willow's got more in common with the egomaniac Sorcerer than she'd ever care to admit.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Ugh. Dryads. You want to know why we broke up? Two months after we started dating, she finally notices that even though my name's Willow I'm not actually a tree.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

inflatablefish posted:

Ugh. Dryads. You want to know why we broke up? Two months after we started dating, she finally notices that even though my name's Willow I'm not actually a tree.

This poo poo practically writes itself.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Too late, sadly, the train has already left the docks and has hit the highway.

Speaking of that, have you ever noticed that shipments go by truck, and cargo parks on the driveway? Or something like that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Silegna posted:

This poo poo practically writes itself.

This sequence of posts should really be included when this gets archived.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
'Because Willow would murder them in their sleep' is as good an excuse as any why we can't select the Succubus/Dryad actually. Bonus points for being funny.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

inflatablefish posted:

That, and Willow just isn't into wood.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto III, Stanza 1: Booey at the Leeb

A'ight, who we gettin' this time?

I say we grab some support. If all of us get punched less, you get punched less by default, chief.

Sure, works for me.

I call upon the restless, formless spirits of the dead! Dee! Ey! Vee! Aye! DEE!

Well now, loves. How may I be of assistance?

Goooood choice.

Path of Pain? That sounds really far out, man.

Meh, I doubt it's gonna be that bad. Adventurers never shut up about how much more powerful they are.

Friggin' hypocrites. They get armored up, pull out bronze swords, and murder helpless slimes just to train. Makes me sick to my stomach.

It kind of makes you wonder who the real bad guys are.

...us?

Well, yeah.

Slay him sorceror... slay him... in the name of Gunther of Atlantis!

Ew, mush.

Here's that Path of Pain we've heard about. It's basically just one long hallway stuffed full of tough encounters. It's not as bad as it looks, but it's still a noticeable jump in difficulty.

Here we have a Level 10 Man at Arms accompanying his scrub trainees. He's obviously going to be a lot tougher than his cohorts, so let's try out our new party member's skills!

Oh don't lean on me, man, 'cause you can't afford the ticket~

I'm back from Sufragette City! :rock:

The Ghost specializes in buffs and debuffs. Most of his buffs cost two Energy, so you can pump your own guys up pretty quick. His debuffs, on the other hand, take four Energy.

C'mon, let's go... let's slip away... let's sliiiiip awaaaay~

:smith:

Basically, if the Ghost doesn't have zero Energy for most of the fight, you're probably doing it wrong. This is especially important, because our current line-up really isn't all that big on physical damage.

That doesn't mean we're helpless, of course.

See the way that Lvl 10 Man at Arms looks right now? That should be pretty much any high value target against this lineup. Our current party is Team Debuff, and these jerks are going to have to wade through multiple status ailments and penalties while the Ghost's marches pump up our damage output. As an example, that Man at Arms currently has:

• Slow
  • -1 Agility
  • -1 Strength
  • Poison
  • Blind

...and that's only because I decided to go with Defender instead of Bone Breaker, or he'd have -2 Strength instead.

Blind is actually useful in this game, even at Level 1. It'll cause maybe one out of 8-9 attacks to whiff entirely. That's still a big deal, as any turn wasted by your opponents are worth their weight in gold. Neither side can afford to give up that much ground in combat. They may not get it back.

Also, once they've had a thorough debuffing, the Sorceror can just start frying them anyway. :getin:

Oh hey, that's neat! We don't really have anyone specializing in agility right now, but having a bunch of runes in our inventory means we can optimize our stats at will, which makes for a more flexible party.

Ehn, that wasn't too bad.

Yeah. If that's all they've got, they're in seriously deep poo poo.

Ooh, where's that tall, cool drink of blood? You two are usually so inseperable.

Vlad? I left him back at the inn. Somebody had to guard the puppet for us.

quote:

:stonklol:

Is that really a good idea?

Ehn, I like to think of it as exposure therapy.

Hell, a lot of psychologists'll charge you $150 an hour for that kind of service.

See? I'm doing him a favor, when you think about it.

Gunther of Atlantis has a message for you, man!

GYAAAAAAR

and that message is "mush"

Here's the barbarian. He's basically Gilex Jr. Isn't that great? You got to fight him as a boss, now you get to fight him as a regular encounter. Woooooo. Even worse, please take note of the Ghost's defense. That 18 is not the result of loving up and forgetting to equip his gear. There's one downside to the Ghost, and it's a big one: he has almost zero defense, because he can only equip accessories and runes. Two to three consecutive hits is going to wipe him, and bosses may even one-shot him. It's a pain to work around and requires a shitload of Restore Defense and hit deflection to keep him safe. Ziggy may have played guitar, but his armor sucks poo poo.

Forutnately, the Barbarian has way less defense and HP than Gilex.

Unfortunately, he's accompanied by a Cleric.

Foul abomination! Fear not, Son of Gilex, I shall heal you!

That is... quite a bit more than I can drain.

Such is the Will of God. Are you afraid now, monsters? :smug:

Nah, I'm good. Ziggy?

Quite well.

Willow?

Peachy!

Yup, looks like we're fine. How about you?

Such dark magic

Talk poo poo, get hit.

The guards are starting to bring their own buffs to the party, which is why we need our new translucent friend even more. If we can keep him alive long enough, the Ghost makes fights go down so much smoother. That's important, because the Cleric also comes with a ton of armor, plus Hero Heal to restore moderate amounts of HP, and we'll need someone to cancel out his insane buffs.

As for the rest, you know how we roll. Ice the Cleric first...

Where is your God now

...then go to work on his burly friend. Once the playing field's been leveled to four-on-one (not sarcasm :sigh:), the debuffs turn him into a regular Fighter, the buffs turn us into regular Fighters, and then we all start slapping each other with weapons until someone falls over.

Hand of Death does Arcane damage and lowers Arcane Resistance for a few turns. It's enough to kill here, but the Ghost also has a four Energy skill that blinds opponents and—this is the important part—does Arcane damage. I think Vlad's gigantic gently caress-off four Energy magic attack is Arcane damage, too. All of our summons can start a shitstorm of status ailments and debuffs in just about any combination right now. If I wasn't so fond of Vlad, Abomination/Witch/Ghost would be our core party. You end up sending every mob screaming through the hallways of the Librum, immolated and clawing at their eyes, poison burning in their veins.

It's hilarious! :iamafag:

Hold up, guys. Something's setting off my radar.

Come now, darling. It can't be that much of a surprise.

Ray-dar, Zig.

Oh, I see.

Any buttons? Rings?

Doesn't look like it.

Arrrrrrgh I hate this. Why can't they just put their best treasure out in the open where we can steal it?!

You do listen to yourself sometimes, right?

Uh, yeah? How else am I gonna get advice from someone as smart as me?

Well... he's not wrong.

Though maybe not for the reason he thinks.

Thanks, guys!

Any time.

Who is their decorator?

Knowing this place, some nearsighted dwarf with bad B.O.

Well, it certainly shows!

Though perhaps it's not all bad.

Alloy gear is a huge deal, better than Steel or even Fine Steel. Apparently someone really wants Ziggy on the team other than the forum goons, and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's doubly helpful since it helps close the gap on raw fighting ability. Zig will probably spend most of his time singing, but we're more than happy to have him play the chain. (Left-handed, of course.) Basically, he does everything except get hit and live, which is pretty neat! Just wish we could do something about that last part.

The hell is this table doing here?

Yeah. There's no chairs, boxes, or anything. It's just... a table. Out in the middle of nowhere.

Oh, there's a reason.

How does he do it?

They make these crazy things called "wires" that go into the wall. Sometimes you can see 'em.

I'm not following.

And I'm not surprised.

C'mon! Let me have this one!

Oh, quit your whining. You got special gear last time.

Yeah, gear covered in gross monster mucus. I want an Arcanite staff, too!

Hell no. You'll get this staff when you pry it out of my cold, dead—

*chucks staff over shoulder*

:q:

Game. Game, we need to have a talk. I mean, I don't really want you to stop doing this, but I need some amount of resistance in order to build a narrative. :eng99:

Darksteel is one of the highest (if not the highest) tiers of weapon/armor. The Sorceror gets it because he's the only one who can equip it right now, and it singlehandedly turns our hapless horned idiot into the Librum's mightiest fighter. Willow takes the Arcanite staff—which you'd think would be redundant but actually allows her to cast Poison spells on two consecutive turns. Black Locust followed by a costless Poison skill means you get to poison two targets in two turns for one energy. I assume you can see the benefits.

There's a lot of math-based strategy in this game, and if you're willing to try seemingly-useless combinations, you can stumble across some prime tactics. The moral of this particular story is that party redundancy is a good thing. It allows you to have more of the things you like, plus the ability to do them in parallel. It's counterintuitive but nevertheless useful.

:stare:

Allow me!

Fiiiiive years, that's allll we got~

:ohdear:

Dirge of Frailty drops your opponent's resistance to damage, which means you can plow right over the top of them for nearly double damage.

HRGH

The remaining men at arms are certainly stronger...

...but, thanks to Dirge of Frailty, they're not that much harder.

Picking between the Dirges is sometimes tough. You'd think you'd always want Frailty, but if you're facing someone with a whole lot of power behind their hits, Weakness is actually the better option. Frailty turns it into rocket tag. Don't let Paper Sorceror turn into rocket tag. Bad things happen.

Vlad picks up Shadow Shield after this fight. Several classes (including the Sorceror) have this skill, and it absorbs one full blow before shattering. It's a good idea to have one of these on Ziggy at all times, but four energy, a tremendous cooldown, and a wasted turn for protection against a single hit is of questionable usefulness. Still, it beats a punch in the butt! I mean literally, no one can punch you in the butt while this thing is active. Or anywhere else, for that matter. But definitely not the butt.

Willow gets a DoT, too! It does Arcane Damage. The Ghost reduces people's Arcane resistance. Can you see why I love this party? I love this party.

Well, they're not gonna need these anymore!

Man, I loves me some irony.

Is that a type of crystal? It sounds like a type of crystal.

Of course it does, love. Of course it does.

Smashing. Now, someone be a dear and tell me what's going on.

Is it really gonna matter?

No, more than likely.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

:getin: Now I see why so many people play up the ghost as a facewrecker. That's SMT-levels of debuff usefulness.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Goddamn, I'm thick. It took a second or third look to not go "Davad? I don't get it :saddowns:".

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

AlphaKretin posted:

Goddamn, I'm thick. It took a second or third look to not go "Davad? I don't get it :saddowns:".

I did the same thing, then I got the reference, and still thought he was spelling "Davad" and just hosed it up. It took me literally three reads to realize I was getting the fourth letter wrong. :negative:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm very happy with this choice of characterisation. :allears: (I'm less happy with the fact that we can have this characterisation. :( )

I was always about Minotaur/Cleric/Skeleton with this game, but I've got to say that the whole buff/debuff/status thing seems to be working out pretty well.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

:getin: Now I see why so many people play up the ghost as a facewrecker. That's SMT-levels of debuff usefulness.

He's not even using his best debuff.

Ghost has a physical resistance debuff. That picture of the huge hit I posted earlier? That was involved and that was round 2 of a boss on hard.

I'm of the opinion that Sorc, Vlad, Frank, and :ghost: is the best party.

mauman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 24, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I swapped out Werewolf for Ghost - as I was ending up using Wolfy more to buff, and it's astounding - I'm not used to non-SMT games making buff/debuffs facewrecking.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

mauman posted:

I'm of the opinion that Sorc, Vlad, Frank, and :ghost: is the best party.

So you manage fine without a healer? I'm assuming you're not using Vlad for that purpose.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Danakir posted:

So you manage fine without a healer? I'm assuming you're not using Vlad for that purpose.

Why? The Vampire's a perfectly competent healer, especially in later levels.

Windmaster Manwe
Oct 30, 2012

Maybe I could show God some jammin' Latin rhythm, ja?
I'm pretty sure the creator cited SMT as an inspiration, so the effectiveness of buffs/debuffs was probably intentional. And I love it.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
I was just under the impression that if you're gonna use him as a healer, you might as well get the Witch since she does the job better. But obviously, I'm mistaken then.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

AlphaKretin posted:

Who did you expect to join a scary monster and a super creep. And Willow.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Explosions posted:

Who did you expect to join a scary monster and a super creep. And the Sorceror.

:smug:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Too bad there isn't a voodoo priestess to add to the party.

You already know why.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

RickVoid posted:

Too bad there isn't a voodoo priestess to add to the party.

You already know why.

Because of the power of voodoo?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

She's the Babe with the Power.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Robindaybird posted:

Who do?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Loving this LP, but what the hell kind of weapon do they mean when they say 'chain'? Just a length of chain that you whip people with?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cassa posted:

Loving this LP, but what the hell kind of weapon do they mean when they say 'chain'? Just a length of chain that you whip people with?

Yeah. Its a Ghost-only weapon and its covered in chains if you look at the attack art.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Zore posted:

Yeah. Its a Ghost-only weapon and its covered in chains if you look at the attack art.

I think it's meant to symbolize the connections they still have to the Living. If you look at old folklore, ghosts have pretty much exclusively used their chains to attack and bind people.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Silegna posted:

I think it's meant to symbolize the connections they still have to the Living. If you look at old folklore, ghosts have pretty much exclusively used their chains to attack and bind people.

Yeah. If you look at the stills, you can see the padlocks on the chains. It's literally a callback to the ghost of Jacob Marley from A Christmas Carol, although I'm pretty sure it was part of legend before then. It's neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Danakir posted:

Frank and Vlad cover healing just fine.

Vlad for emergency hp recovery, and Frank covers the MUCH MORE vital defense recovery (in two stacking flavors no less). If you're desperate, Frank can also heal hp.

Besides, healing is a non-issue when 3 out of your for 4 party members are tanks, and if the ghost gets wailed on you can always have Frank come to the rescue with his taunt.

Also, Vlad is stupid efficient on healing out of combat. Keep the witch on the side lines with a few energy upgrades and Vlad can heal the whole party for the price of one or two heals from Willow.

Plus there's always items, though I haven't really needed them.

I know I mentioned this earlier, but because of how the whole defense/hp thing works, a dedicated healer is really not needed. If you're healing hp every round you're probably in a losing situation, especially on harder difficulties.

To give an example of how skewed it is let's say frank has 160 defense. A big hit could take about 20-30 defense and 20 hp. If you're defense drops low enough that hp hit could be in the neighborhood of a 100 or so. It gets really tense when your defense starts dropping.

mauman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2016

• Locked thread