Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

simble posted:

That means manual.

Right. Do they use mech for actual manual and manuell for DCT? Because using mech for DCT sounds pretty contradictory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

echoing this from the car buying thread

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5488677006.html

e30 listed for $1500. sounds like its just rusty which is unavoidable here... needs shift linkage rebuild and a rear strut mount (that he has?)

ive wanted to get one of these for a while, mostly because e30 but the rest is the top and my respect for that inline 6

why not?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The best thing about e46 smgs is that they actually can be converted to manual and it's not super complicated if you know a tech (or can program). I'm just waiting for the day someone puts one up for sale with a failed SMG pump...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Crustashio posted:

The best thing about e46 smgs is that they actually can be converted to manual and it's not super complicated if you know a tech (or can program). I'm just waiting for the day someone puts one up for sale with a failed SMG pump...

If the BMW SMG is anything like the Alfa selespeed it's very likely that they'll pop up cheap as hell. After sperging out reading about the Alfa ones they aren't inherently unreliable, but the problem actually stems from that even authorized Alfa mechanics are clueless when it comes to diagnosing, calibrating and maintaining them. That coupled with Alfas refusal to sell the individual parts for the selespeed actuator (which is like $1000+ as a whole) led to a lovely reputation. If I remember correctly the SMG system is very similar, but I don't know if BMW are as poo poo at maintaining them as Alfa was.

It's a pretty cool concept, and I'd love to try one though. When they work, and you learn to drive them properly they are supposed to be very fun.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I see an alarming number of F30 435i's with utterly terrible fartcan exhausts on them. Why yes, I would like my brand new car to sound like a civic with a $100 ebay exhaust droning away at 55 mph on the freeway.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crustashio posted:

Way more :effort: than I want to deal with.

I've got a friend that has a couple e46 m3's that's going to keep an eye out for me, so that will be some help. My favorite things that I've seen so far include some dealer in Ohio apparently buying every manual m3 they can get their hands on and then putting them up at retarded prices and then the one I found on m3forum that includes pictures on a gravel road where it looks like the guy is blasting it around a curve. That will bring the buyers in :allears:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Way more :effort: than I want to deal with.

I've got a friend that has a couple e46 m3's that's going to keep an eye out for me, so that will be some help. My favorite things that I've seen so far include some dealer in Ohio apparently buying every manual m3 they can get their hands on and then putting them up at retarded prices and then the one I found on m3forum that includes pictures on a gravel road where it looks like the guy is blasting it around a curve. That will bring the buyers in :allears:

EAG? yeah, gently caress those guys.

I think we were bitchin about them a couple of pages ago for loving up e90 manual wagon prices.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

EAG? yeah, gently caress those guys.

I think we were bitchin about them a couple of pages ago for loving up e90 manual wagon prices.

Yeah, them. They have one listed at $75k :lol:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Crustashio posted:

Yep: http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-to-own-a-bmw-e46-m3-with-a-proper-manual-for-next-t-1747802451

I know the smg gets poo poo on everywhere but having been for a drive in one with the ZCP programming it was not as terrible as advertised on the Internet. Having the smg pump failure out of nowhere and run a couple grand does suck balls but as seen in the link above it wouldn't exactly be the end of the world.
The SMG compared to the 7 speed DCT it definitely looks like crap buts that's because the DCT is so good.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Fitting, considering the page number...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I am so confused right now

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Jonny 290 posted:

I am so confused right now

I am too. It looks like it's setup to be rear engined but there in an engine up front what is going on here MrChips

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
found it, the '767' one-off

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-16-cylinder-bmw-that-almost-was-bmw-767i-gold-1231465406

rear cooling cause no room up front, i reckon this is like pure distilled GDCS

Dear god this is amazing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MrChips posted:

Amazing things happen when engineers are allowed to play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5HZ7AEG0TQ

V12 from their LeMans car slapped in a X5 on race suspension and 20" wheels.

quote:

The X5 V12 Le Mans had 700 hp, was capable of 0-60mph in 4.7seconds and had a electronically limited top speed of 193 mph. In an X5. That’s lunacy. But wait there’s more. Hans Stuck, BMW’s famed racing driver, took the X5 Le Mans to the Nurburgring (because they’re Germans, they must go to the ‘ring) and was able to lap it in 7 minutes 50 seconds. He was able to break the 8 minute mark on the Nurburgring Nordschleife in an X5. That time would be fast by today’s standards, but that was 15 years ago. Simply madness.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/05/23/bmw-history-bmw-x5-le-mans/

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

If the BMW SMG is anything like the Alfa selespeed it's very likely that they'll pop up cheap as hell. After sperging out reading about the Alfa ones they aren't inherently unreliable, but the problem actually stems from that even authorized Alfa mechanics are clueless when it comes to diagnosing, calibrating and maintaining them. That coupled with Alfas refusal to sell the individual parts for the selespeed actuator (which is like $1000+ as a whole) led to a lovely reputation. If I remember correctly the SMG system is very similar, but I don't know if BMW are as poo poo at maintaining them as Alfa was.

It's a pretty cool concept, and I'd love to try one though. When they work, and you learn to drive them properly they are supposed to be very fun.

SMGs are great, most of the hate comes from people who have never owned or never will own one.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ormy posted:

SMGs are great, most of the hate comes from people who have never owned or never will own one.

Pretty much. But the good thing about that is that the prices are low for those of us that know better than to trust the first couple of replies in every forum thread ever created about SMG:s.
I take it that SMG's (like selespeeds) need calibration at least once a year to run properly? Yeah how many second hand owners are going to that? Then they whine about how lovely it is. But who cares, like I said, the reputation means that it's cheaper.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ormy posted:

I don't want one because of personal preference. That's really it. If I found a good enough deal on one where I thought doing the 6 speed conversion would be worth it I'd buy one. That's about it though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm willing to bet it's significantly better for track use vs daily driver duty.

I thought I saw somewhere on a blog a few years ago someone did data acquisition crunching of two similar e46m3s (mt vs smg) on a track and it illustrated the benefits of smg pretty well.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
They're only a little annoying to park; I dailyed mine and parked on a pretty steep hill every day, it was fine. The shifts are faster than any human could ever do and it feels so so awesome keeping your foot in and just clicking up, it made me feel like a race driver.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess, I prefer feeling like an 80's rally car driver with my three pedals.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ether Frenzy posted:

I see an alarming number of F30 435i's with utterly terrible fartcan exhausts on them. Why yes, I would like my brand new car to sound like a civic with a $100 ebay exhaust droning away at 55 mph on the freeway.

If they appear to be stock they might actually be the "BMW M-Performance" sport exhaust, it's a port delivery upgrade item. I had one put on my F10 535 (manual transmission) and it sounds great to me. These new cars are way too quiet.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

I thought the V12 in my 850 was ludicrous. Can only imagine how expensive plug wires would be on that beast.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Keyser S0ze posted:

If they appear to be stock they might actually be the "BMW M-Performance" sport exhaust, it's a port delivery upgrade item. I had one put on my F10 535 (manual transmission) and it sounds great to me. These new cars are way too quiet.

Yeah, I can't see that these particular ones I've seen are something that BMW would do as a stock option because I imagine I see those all the time and don't even notice them because they sound okay, I live in LA after all - But I've noticed three recently in my neck of the woods that all were just blatting out a very unflattering drone at 45-55 mph on the 101, all were 435i's, and I imagine the drivers of them think it sounds aggressive rather than 'slightly broken'.

Speaking of aggressive sounding cars, I rolled up next to a 427 Shelby Cobra last night on the drive home, revved up to ~8000 as firmly as possible, and I couldn't even hear it myself inside my own car because the drat Shelby sounded like a lopey top fuel dragster about to stage.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
oh L.A. - gotcha.......prob modder FnF bro's running some cheapo fartcans then.

Haven't seen that in Norcal yet.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the flat-brim ratio to driver level was pretty high across this cross-section of the population.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm willing to bet it's significantly better for track use vs daily driver duty.

I've played with a few E46 M3's with SMG over the years and honestly I didn't find them that bad on the street, sure not great but not terrible. On the track I really loved it even though I still refer the 'slower' mechanical 6-speed.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Does it seem like E90 M3 prices are going up or am I just imagining things? Maybe as I get closer to purchasing a car my requirements get a little crazy (manual, sedan, 09+, preferably less than 45k mi) and that drives the price up.

Separate but related, is it insanity to own an E9x M3 without a warranty or is it typical BMW forums garbage where a few vocal people drown out a majority of owners that have few issues?

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Per the Internet every car has every problem and is a nightmare to own. Find a solid example of what you want, pay the money, and set aside a budget to fix things. Or go buy a new Hyundai.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dad has a 12k mile '08 E90. He just got notice from BMW that it's part of the airbag recall and that dealers are not selling those airbag cars, nor are they taking them in trade. ETA for replacement is late this year, into next year.

I think that's going to make a temporary spike in all BMWs of that age, since it's going to be solely private-party sales for a while.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Does it seem like E90 M3 prices are going up or am I just imagining things? Maybe as I get closer to purchasing a car my requirements get a little crazy (manual, sedan, 09+, preferably less than 45k mi) and that drives the price up.

Separate but related, is it insanity to own an E9x M3 without a warranty or is it typical BMW forums garbage where a few vocal people drown out a majority of owners that have few issues?

How do you and I keep ending up looking at basically the same poo poo? I'd probably be on the E90 train too but I don't want to spend that much at the moment.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

How do you and I keep ending up looking at basically the same poo poo? I'd probably be on the E90 train too but I don't want to spend that much at the moment.

We need a support group. I was all over the drat place until I found out my wife was pregnant and my options narrowed significantly.

I think the airbag recall idea might be right. This is going to suck. Maybe buying a car with the open recall isn't a solid idea at this point.

What else lives in the same realm as an E90 M3? When your criteria is manual, sedan, and RWD your options shrink considerably. The best alternative I've come up with in that range ($35-40k cap) is a Cadillac CTS-V. That's a lot of car for $35k but I'm not sure I want to own a drat Cadillac. What else is out there?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Prices on the Coupe had been pretty plateau'd for like 4 years and both models are probably creeping up a bit now due to the realization that they aren't making cars like this that are affordable to the regular guy as much any more. I first started trying to convince my PO to sell me mine on MLK day 2013 and, in early Jan 2015 he finally sold it to me for the same price we'd agreed upon then. (He'd only put on 400 miles in that time.)

I don't have a warranty and I don't feel concerned about it all. Car has been extremely bulletproof and I drive it with enthusiasm every time I start it up.

Granted mine only had 16k miles on it when I got it but I've been dailying it since getting it and have had no issues. In ~7k miles and a year and a few months now, I've had to get the oil changed twice, I had to get a new battery (replacing the 7 year old original), and one of my angel eye bulbs (also an original bulb) went out. That's it for maintenance.

I'm blackstoning my oil each time, and keeping an eye on the Dreaded Rod Bearing issue (which I may just do as a preventative measure.) My drivers side door locking mechanism seems to not always unlock when I pull the handle, which also seems to be a pretty common problem, it's an easy enough fix but I don't like pulling interiors apart unless it's critical and since you can unlock the door with the unlock button in the dash I have been ignoring it. Obviously you should be able to afford a healthy chunk of maintenance if it comes up or you should probably not own this car, but I've been pleased so far with how trouble-and-expense free it has been. I've spent far more in detailing products than I have in anything else for the car.

From what I can tell from reading E9x forums it's a pretty small percentage that ever even get the rod bearing issue, probably less than 4% based on forum estimations/polling the membership group. Only the people with issues bitch about it, everyone else stays silent if they're not part of the group already, so it's probably not even that high.

Costs about $2500 to fix ahead of time, or $20k if you frag your motor instead. The car is so fun to drive I never ever ever worry about it and will get it done ahead of time if my blackstone analysis shows any sign of even coming close to it being an issue.

Mine's an E92, but so far isn't part of the airbag recall. Fingers crossed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fknlo posted:

Because there isnt a person on this earth who wouldnt say no to an E9x M3.

Absolutely no person.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Because there isnt a person on this earth who wouldnt say no to an E9x M3.

Absolutely no person.

Over the last year or so, at some point or another, we've both considered a 996 Turbo, 997 everything, I think a GT350, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

But yes, the E9x M3 is so perfect in so many ways.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Which convertible has more interior and rear seat space? E46 or E92?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
I feel like this is a steal and I already own one!
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5468003436.html

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
"NO TEST DRIVES UNLESS YOU HAVE THE MONEY"

Good luck rear end in a top hat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cash in hand is something you do for maybe a 500-1500 dollar car. No one is going to go around town with 14K in their pocket.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Cojawfee posted:

Cash in hand is something you do for maybe a 500-1500 dollar car. No one is going to go around town with 14K in their pocket.

I've handed 15K in cash to someone before for an M3. As long as proper precautions are taken, it's every bit as no-hassle as the $1500 transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So I've been talking with a friend about buying his current DD - a '95 540i/6. Alpine white on tan. It's in fantastic shape mechanically, exterior ain't bad either. Only engine mod is a chip. It's getting a steering rack conversion right now. It's got some spring / shock combo on it that I can't remember. Aluminum rad, and a bunch of big stuff like rear main seal and whatnot done. Needs nothing but oil changes for a long time.

If I buy it, I was going to have him toss on some coilovers, a magnaflow or something for some noise, and a set of ACS Type 2s. It would replace my 135i as my DD. I have a 70 mile round trip commute to work, mostly traffic free interstate. I've got a gutted and swapped e30 as a toy / garage hog right now too.

I wanted to pick it up because it's a good deal on a very well taken care of example. I'ts one of those bucket list cars too - I've always heard how great e34 540i/6s are and this one will have a steering rack! I also hated racking up miles on the 135i (20k a year minimum) and leaving it at airports when I go on travel.

The thing is, I still owe something like 13k on the 135i. The owner of the e34 is after a 135i and may be willing to work out a trade - I've got the cash to end up with a decent amount left to spare if the car is worth ~$12k. Feels like 135i's have depreciated a lot. 95k miles doesn't help!

The financially sound option is either to keep the 135i and pay it off / crank up the boost and have fun with it, or to trade it for the e34 and throw the remainder at the e30.

The AI option is to keep all three and have 3 unfinished projects.

I feel like if I got rid of the 135i before experiencing the ~450whp they are capable of with bolt ons I'd regret it.