Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Raxivace posted:

In Battle of Gods Beerus says he was only using about 70% of his power. The subs I had for Super had Beerus saying he was using 100% of his power to fight Super Saiyan God Goku.

In Super it seems that Goku was already pretty close to being able to defeat Beerus before training with Whis, if the subs are correct. I find this change interesting.

Yeah because Beerus has no reason to lie to Goku right?

Whis: “Saying that you acknowledged Goku-san and would bring out 100% of your power was just a means of drawing out his full power. It was a lie, wasn’t it?”
Beerus: “You knew, didn’t you? Hmph.”
Significance: So according to this, Beerus never truly used his full power against Goku. In BoG it’s finally revealed he had only been fighting with 70% of his power, but in Super we don’t get anything so exact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What if you think bananas on your head would look badass and be badass 'cos free and easy bananas but that SSJ3 sucks.

I guess you'd probably at least still have eyebrows

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I am perfectly fine with this, in fact I love the concept. It makes Frieza threatening again (he was killed like a chump, just to demonstrate how super sayjins aren't important any more). It is also perfectly reasonable within his character.

Frieza never encountered anything in his entire life that required any effort, that is going to naturally result in a person that is incredibly lazy.

I was originally really excited for the Freeza movie since he was my favorite DB villain, but the execution was terrible. You wanna say that Freeza always had the potential to attain such a tremendous power boost? Fine. But in four months? That makes no drat sense whatsoever. Freeza spent years constantly making GBS threads himself at the idea of a Super Saiyan appearing, and when he did, he was only marginally stronger than him at his full power. If Freeza had the ability to become massively powerful in a time slot as small as four months, you'd think he'd do that instead. Not to mention that he was aware of Beerus and Majin Buu in the past, and once again, despite being fully capable of dramatically increasing his power in a matter of months, he was seemingly fine with staying at his current level and being inferior to those two? He trains for four months and not only dramatically surpasses Buu in that time, but comes within spitting distance to Beerus himself. None of this makes sense.

Now maybe if Freeza somehow was training in hell all this time, which by the start of the movie would be roughly 10 years since he fought Goku, okay, that's a bit easier to stomach. But this semester long training session? Come on. Come on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goku grew like sixty times stronger by training for a week. Time is a funny thing in DB.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goku grew like sixty times stronger by training for a week. Time is a funny thing in DB.

Not exactly apples to apples, though. Goku's a saiyan and their most important biological trait is that they get massive power boosts after every fight. He went from 8,000 to 90,000 by the time he got on to Namek, which happened as he had at least 2 near death experiences during the time. His power increase makes sense within that context.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not really. Unless you accept the fact near death experiences and training give you the exact boost you need for the plot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I will always love this even if I can no longer remember if it's legit or TFS

Vegeta: shoot a hole in me so I can get tough
Krillin: No
V: do it nerd
K: OK
[Zap]
V:Now get Dende to fix me
K: lol :jerkbag:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Mr Interweb posted:

Not exactly apples to apples, though. Goku's a saiyan and their most important biological trait is that they get massive power boosts after every fight. He went from 8,000 to 90,000 by the time he got on to Namek, which happened as he had at least 2 near death experiences during the time. His power increase makes sense within that context.

And all we know about Freezas are that two of them are strong as gently caress and can chill out in space. Oh and the surviving getting diced part.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DB has the whole you don't exceed your current level until you meet a higher level thing. Frieza never actually fought Beerus or Buu so how could he get stronger?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really. Unless you accept the fact near death experiences and training give you the exact boost you need for the plot.

1) Goku was able to get that high after multiple instances of utilizing the zenkai boost.
2) It was a 10X power upgrade. The highest we've seen prior to Golden Freeza was a 50X boost going from base to SSJ. And that was after they spent chapters/episodes building up how powerful Super Saiyans are supposed to be. With Freeza, we see him jumping to something crazy like 500X his base power in a few months. There hasn't been anything remotely like it in prior DB arcs.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Plus Freeza was basically a spoiled brat. Had the universe handed to him. Why would he bother training? The Legendary Super Sayian was a myth. He kept his tyranny over the Sayians, thought he killed everyone from that race . From his perspective he only Vegeta, Nappa and Raditz to look out for. What happen when the so called "elite" fought Freeza? Couldn't land a hit on him.

So what's his motivation for wanting to train? Beerus and Buu who were monstrously strong even though is father warned him.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I will always love this even if I can no longer remember if it's legit or TFS

Vegeta: shoot a hole in me so I can get tough
Krillin: No
V: do it nerd
K: OK
[Zap]
V:Now get Dende to fix me
K: lol :jerkbag:

That's pretty much how it worked in the real show as well, Vegeta was well aware of Zenkai powerup at that point and noticed the talking senzu bean. I don't think he thought about the part where Dende might refuse since you know, Vegeta murdered many of his species. Sometimes you need to make that hard read.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kild posted:

DB has the whole you don't exceed your current level until you meet a higher level thing. Frieza never actually fought Beerus or Buu so how could he get stronger?

How to Freeza get to Super Saiyan blue level when he had never seen anyone stronger than normal Super Saiyan Trunks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Beautiful Ninja posted:

That's pretty much how it worked in the real show as well, Vegeta was well aware of Zenkai powerup at that point and noticed the talking senzu bean. I don't think he thought about the part where Dende might refuse since you know, Vegeta murdered many of his species. Sometimes you need to make that hard read.

The important thing is naked scamming the system got him nowhere. True power, even in Dragon Ball, comes from sincere conviction as much as training and you'll never beat the arc villain solely through power leveling

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dexo posted:

How to Freeza get to Super Saiyan blue level when he had never seen anyone stronger than normal Super Saiyan Trunks

This too.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Dr. Gero made androids stronger than a Super Saiyan when he had never seen anyone stronger than pre-Namek Vegeta and Goku. Don't think about how Frieza got so strong that much. Or at all really. Toriyama thought "I want Goku to fight Frieza again" and just went from there.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I haven't been keeping up with Super since they started retreading RoF. What episode does this tournament start?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
29 or something i think.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Starts on 28.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dexo posted:

He saw footage of Goku fighting Buu and poo poo?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dexo posted:

Toriyama says he and Beerus used to be pals and that also Beerus whooped his rear end one time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

frieza clearly knew who beerus was if nothing else

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Kild posted:

He saw footage of Goku fighting Buu and poo poo?

Except for RoF's, any depiction of hell you saw in the anime was filler.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

Dr. Gero made androids stronger than a Super Saiyan when he had never seen anyone stronger than pre-Namek Vegeta and Goku. Don't think about how Frieza got so strong that much. Or at all really. Toriyama thought "I want Goku to fight Frieza again" and just went from there.

Vegeta and Goku were stronger than 19, he just absorbed energy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RBX posted:

Vegeta and Goku were stronger than 19, he just absorbed energy.

19 was possibly stronger than Freeza era Goku before he trained for years specifically to fight androids. Its way up in the air though.

Gero basically calculated where Goku would be without the SSJ boost, and added a ridiculous amount on, along with the power stealing ability. It just happened to still not be enough because Trunks is a dirty cheater.

He's probably talking about 16/17/18 though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku seemed stronger than 19 imo, but he still had that heart disease and that did him in

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
17 and 18 aren't stronger than freeza in the power levels sense.

They can beat Vegeta because 1) they've got all of the martial arts downloaded into them Neo-style so they're perfect masters of the forms Vegeta uses, as well as everyone else and 2) infinite energy.

Their power does bring them pretty close to but not quite Freeza/SSJ level

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

visceril posted:

They can beat Vegeta because 1) they've got all of the martial arts downloaded into them Neo-style so they're perfect masters of the forms Vegeta uses, as well as everyone else and 2) infinite energy.

What no they're definitely stringer than Frieza. The ones from future Trunks timeline can fight SS Gohan no problem and when Trunks gets to the Universe 7 timeline he freaks out because 17 and 18 were way stronger than they were in his timeline. 18 also says she's way stronger than all of the people left to fight Frieza in the ROF arc .

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

visceril posted:

They absolutely are significantly stronger. They don't win through perfect robotic skill they match or overpower strength-for-strength. Every comment about them is how freakishly strong they are, not that they're dodging all their attacks and performing perfect martial arts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DBZ is all about power levels. Especially the Cell saga.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

trunks showing up to effortlessly trump cyborg frieza was to show that the new big bads would be miles ahead of either of them

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

visceril posted:

PIccolo fused with Kami was stronger than a Super Saiyan Vegeta, and it was on par with 17, so they'd have to be stronger than Frieza.

edit: And who can forget 18 beating the poo poo out of Vegeta?

Momomo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 25, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

18 owning Vegeta is the best fight In the series.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CharlestheHammer posted:

18 owning Vegeta is the best fight In the series.

I mean 17 vs Piccolo is better, As is Goku vs Majin Vegeta, but yeah 18 vs Vegeta was p satisfying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

18 breaking Vegeta's arm will always be a great thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

19 was possibly stronger than Freeza era Goku before he trained for years specifically to fight androids. Its way up in the air though.

You also have to remember that Goku was exhausted and near death from fighting when he transformed into the super saiyan for the first time. He would naturally be like 10x stronger than he was on Namick (fighting Frieza) just from getting a good nights sleep.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
so if gero made himself and 19 stronger than what he thought Goku would be like after finishing his research at the end of the Vegeta saga,

Why would he make 17 and 18--who he knows want to kill him--several orders stronger than himself?

Cell I understand it's an extension of his research. But 17 and 18 make no sense.

At least make them 50 tiens stronger than you after you work out the obedience problem

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The implication is he made them first but they rebelled and Gero said gently caress that and made himself one.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
And he made himself weaker because????
Not a little bit weaker waaaay weaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

In theory the androids couldn't get stronger while he could by absorbing people's energy.

• Locked thread