Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAK7BHd8AcI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
:lol:Kisenosato will never not bottle it
The good work continues from Goeido as well, which is nice

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Surprised that Terunofuji won today. Koto's momentum fell off pretty quickly :( They should both be able to kachikoshi, at least.

Really happy for Goeido, and I hope Kisenosato still finds a way to win the basho. Hakuho took him out really easily today.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Officer Sandvich posted:

get ready for the goeido yusho

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-R3bpBTWDw

Well, poo poo. Hakuho takes over with another one sided win.

Glad that Kotoshougiku and Terunofuji got their kachikoshi with 3 days still to go. That was a nice win for Teruno in his condition.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm super behind on this basho. Like, I watched Day 3 last night.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Good bouts, but I'm very :smith: about how the home stretch is looking. Harumafuji and Kakuryu are too hurt/ineffective this basho to affect the outcome, imo.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Do we think Terunofuji will take the rest of the basho off now he's saved his rank?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: http://youtu.be/dhwkUT0BddM

E: Takayasu-Tochiozan takes MOTN in a pretty meh day overall.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 25, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Hakuho's gone beast mode the last few days :stare:

This basho is now his to lose, I don't see anyone else being able to match the form he's in.

Gonna have to watch Shoudai carefully in the next basho, I'm excited to see how he does. Twelve kachikoshi in a row is really impressive.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Harumafuji is really struggling with that right knee, eh? He's barely putting any weight on it. Won anyway

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
What would need to go wrong that we end with a Kotoyuki yusho?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Elissimpark posted:

What would need to go wrong that we end with a Kotoyuki yusho?

Kotoyuki's best chance would be winning his remaining two matches, have Hakuho lose both of his, Kisenosato and Goeido and Ikioi lose at least one. Then he'd have to win at least one playoff match.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
oosunaarashi has already clinched the juryo yusho :unsmith:

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
The Daishomaru-Chiyotairyu match sounded like a kung fu movie punch

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tsaedje posted:

Kotoyuki's best chance would be winning his remaining two matches, have Hakuho lose both of his, Kisenosato and Goeido and Ikioi lose at least one. Then he'd have to win at least one playoff match.

I know its stupidly unlikely, but the way he's been going this basho, I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

a false posted:

oosunaarashi has already clinched the juryo yusho :unsmith:

how is he doing in juryo?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Kanthulhu posted:

how is he doing in juryo?

He's only lost one match so far.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 14: https://youtu.be/sqzN2VDk3OY

E: With how gingerly Harumafuji is walking on that knee, plus the fact he faces Hakuho tomorrow, I really don't see the latter losing this tournament at this point.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 26, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Final day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOoFlYH0M7E

Chiyootori-Amuuru just takes MOTN over Kotoyuki-Ikioi in a henka-ified day.

Hope Takayasu's fine. :ohdear:

Kotoshogiku's performance kinda makes me wonder how big a fluke (if any) his yusho was.

Not happy at all with the way the basho ended. Harumafuji was obviously not 100% and that Hakuho henka wasn't needed. Still, congrats to Hakuho.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 27, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Really, Hakuho? What an anticlimactic end. Congrats to him though, he's the best ever. Still a really good basho.

Kisenosato did so, so good, but just not quite enough. Hope he can repeat that level of performance and I hope Kotoshougiku does better in the next one too.

I wonder if Terunofuji's going to take the next one off. I miss seeing him perform at 100%.

Looking forward to seeing Osunaarashi tear it up next basho :black101:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Interview with Hakuho - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzI9lCAli7w Dude apparently lost it when asked about how things ended.

anakha posted:

Kotoshogiku's performance kinda makes me wonder how big a fluke (if any) his yusho was.

It was a fluke and it wasn't. Any of the top 10 wrestlers can beat anyone, including Hakuho, on a good day. It was no flukier than Harumafuji rattling off 30 in a row (sandwiched between 8-7 and 9-6 performances) for his sudden Yokozuna promotion. I'm no more surprised by this performance than I would have been with another 14-1. I will similarly not be surprised if Goeido goes kadoban again in May.

With Kisenosato's strong jun-yusho performance, he's got a chance for promotion if he takes the next basho. Between being Japanese, having 8 jun-yushos, and having a very consistently good track record, I don't think they would hesitate to promote him.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I used the think Aminishiki was the better troll rikishi. Now I see how wrong I was. Hakuho is by far the best troll there.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Love Hakuho's ongoing heel-turn :swoon:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Fryhtaning posted:

With Kisenosato's strong jun-yusho performance, he's got a chance for promotion if he takes the next basho. Between being Japanese, having 8 jun-yushos, and having a very consistently good track record, I don't think they would hesitate to promote him.
If that's what they're planning, they'd better not breath a word of it until the yusho is decided - the slightest hint of expectation causes poor Kise to crumble like he's made of chalk.

Hakuho said in the interview that the henka wasn't pre-planned, he just reacted to how Harumafuji was acting on the dohyo. Seems legit, from the speed at which he went pinwheeling off into the stands it looks like Harumafuji was putting everything into slamming into Hakuho with everything he had straight from the tachi-ai. I know a henka isn't the best way to end the tournament, but really what was Hak supposed to do? If you read that your opponent's going to come out high with slaps and neck grabs you duck under and go for a belt grip; if you read he's gonna stay still and absorb your momentum you put your arms out and thrust him back as you push forward; if you read he's gonna charge blindly forward for an instant oshidashi you... take no countermeasures and cede the advantage because dodging isn't the spectacle people want?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
GOAT. Also henkas own and people who get upset about them can go screw.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

GOAT. Also henkas own and people who get upset about them can go screw.

I'm pretty neutral on that one. It wasn't an ideal ending to the basho, but I really don't think Hakuho planned it. The worst part about that is probably that it shows that his confidence isn't what it used to be.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There's going to be some massive promotions/demotions for the next basho, only 8 kachikoshis between sekiwake and M10

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm pretty neutral on that one. It wasn't an ideal ending to the basho, but I really don't think Hakuho planned it. The worst part about that is probably that it shows that his confidence isn't what it used to be.

He did go a whole 6 months without winning a Yusho, which counts as a slump by his standards.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Tsaedje posted:

There's going to be some massive promotions/demotions for the next basho, only 8 kachikoshis between sekiwake and M10

osunaarashi gonna reenter at m2.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

osunaarashi gonna reenter at m2.

Actually plausible. And Ichinojo's going to be right back up there despite having done nothing much more than stand still for 15 days.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Not disappointed with that ending at all. I thought it was hilarious and hearing some actual boos was delightful. On to 39 yusho!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh! I nearly forgot. Earlier in the tournament I heard a good tidbit from the English announcers. Apparently Hakuho had a dream where he fought legendary WWII era yokozuna Futabayama. Hakuho would not say who won, he said he has dreams about fighting famous yokozuna but he never tells anyone who won. He DID, however, say that after he and Futabayama had the session, they went out clubbing. :3:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Oh! I nearly forgot. Earlier in the tournament I heard a good tidbit from the English announcers. Apparently Hakuho had a dream where he fought legendary WWII era yokozuna Futabayama. Hakuho would not say who won, he said he has dreams about fighting famous yokozuna but he never tells anyone who won. He DID, however, say that after he and Futabayama had the session, they went out clubbing. :3:

I've had one sumo dream in my life, and in that dream I beat Hakuho. All 5'7", 170lbs of me yorikiri'd his rear end.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fryhtaning posted:

I hope he planned it and wins the next basho with 15 of them in a row.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I don't mind henkas themselves, it's just dumb when we miss out on a great, high level match because of them.

Any word on if Terunofuji is taking the next basho off?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mita-kun got his kachikoshi, that's all I care about.

Sumo needs a new rule that Tamawashi can't win with kimarite that don't rhyme with his name. If he does they just record it as isamiashi.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Banzookie is up: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx

code:
Hakuho              Y               Kakuryu
Harumafuji          Y                      
Kisenosato          O                Goeido
Kotoshogiku         O            Terunofuji
Kotoyuki            S                 Ikioi
Kaisei              K              Okinoumi
Myogiryu            M1           Takarafuji
Shodai              M2             Ichinojo
Aoiyama             M3           Aminishiki
Yoshikaze           M4          Tochinoshin
Tochiozan           M5             Takayasu
Takanoiwa           M6            Tamawashi
Toyonoshima         M7          Osunaarashi
Kyokushuho          M8            Mitakeumi
Sokokurai           M9             Daieisho
Sadanoumi           M10          Tokushoryu
Chiyootori          M11            Shohozan
Takekaze            M12               Amuru
Daishomaru          M13           Hidenoumi
Nishikigi           M14               Seiro
Gagamaru            M15                Endo
Chiyotairyu         M16                    
That sekiwake pair could seriously blow this basho open in the first 5 days. Conversely, that might be the weakest pair of komusubi I've ever seen. A total of 10 rikishi at their highest rank ever, including Shodai with a chance to impress against the big boys.

Also, Osuna back up at M7! :swoon:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
You know for someone that's been around for quite a while and never really seems to do anything, Kaisei floats fairly high in the rankings.

Is he married to someone important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Gibbo posted:

You know for someone that's been around for quite a while and never really seems to do anything, Kaisei floats fairly high in the rankings.

Is he married to someone important?

If you go 8-7, they have to promote you. Combine that with one decent basho at a high Maegashira rank, you hit Komusubi. The "real" san'yaku ranks have stricter requirements. So, no, it's not odd for a long-time rank-and-filer that hasn't done a whole lot but avoid getting sent down to Juryo to be Komusubi. They tend to get thrashed since they go up against the real elites, tho.