Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first game basically just has...2 and 4 that are super connected though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I meant arc in the sense that the characters have a strong arc throughout the game, not that every case is part of one big convoluted story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wasn't case 3 basically filler, I don't remember anything of note happening in it for the characters except for like one thing with Edgeworth at the very end where he kinda sorta starts to help Pheonix.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Wasn't case 3 basically filler, I don't remember anything of note happening in it for the characters except for like one thing with Edgeworth at the very end where he kinda sorta starts to help Pheonix.

I'm not the biggest fan of case 3, thought it was a little boring, but it was definitely necessary to have a case there. All the stuff that happened with Edgeworth in case 4 wouldn't have meant anywhere near as much if you'd only interacted with him in one previous case. Plus, it gave the game more time to establish Maya's character, too. Perhaps it's fair to call the case filler, but the game probably would've suffered without it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean I obviously love the first game, I don't think cases 1-3 are really bad at all, my original assertion was more that without the final cases to deliver the knockout blow it just wouldn't have been as memorable. They tie such a nice bow over the experience, which is why PWvsPL and AAI1 are such disappointments.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 25, 2016

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Nah, cases 1-3 of the first game are really bad, and 4 is good storywise but not mechanically.

AA1 has a good soundtrack and introduces us to our lovable cast but the actual gameplay and cases are the worst in the series. Understandable, since it is also the first entry.

Case 1 is not bad, but very, very short and easy, so much so that's it's really hard to qualify it as a full case.
Case 2 has the worst denouement in the series. Was anyone satisfied by how that case concluded?
Case 3 has the meat of an actual case and is pretty good. I enjoyed the twist of why the kid was lying. The investigation sequences are TERRIBLE though. Arbitrary, forced backtracking. Later on in the series the games try to map out the area to minimize such work.
Case 4 is the best case in the game, but still pales to other games' final cases.

I'm glad AA1 exists, introducing us to the characters and the series, but it's pretty low on my list of actual AA games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AA1 has five cases.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Motto posted:

AA1 has five cases.

Kind of an important detail considering Rise From The Ashes is one of the best standalone cases in the series.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Junpei Hyde posted:

Kind of an important detail considering Rise From The Ashes is one of the best cases in the series.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Sorry, wasn't thinking of the DS case.

It's a good one, yeah, keeps AA better than AJ. It's good because they took all the learnings from the other games and made a case with that in mind. It shows how primitive the rest of AA1 is in comparison to the later entries.

I guess this is how people who say "I like 2-4, but it's not enough to carry the rest of JFA" feel, 1-5 is an excellent case but doesn't makeup for cases and gameplay in 1 through 4.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You're an insane person

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Motto posted:

AA1 has five cases.

Yeah, but it was originally written and released with four. 1-5 is a bonus case that's kinda separate from the main story.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently playing PLvsPW (ch5 or so) for a lack of any other phoenix games, and man, the new court mechanics are cool and good, but the trials/cases themselves.......................... are bad
(also gently caress Layton, he makes Phoenix look like an idiot when Phoenix did way better clutches and smarter plays when he's alone)

Amppelix posted:

There's no way VS is the worst when it has cases two and three. Sure, everything after chapter 5 may suck or whatever, but the writing is so on point in those that it doesn't even matter how lame the ending is.

what

Raxivace posted:

PW vs PL has some of the best music in either series too, and that certainly counts for something.

WHAT

edit:

derra posted:

It's a good one, yeah, keeps AA better than AJ. It's good because they took all the learnings from the other games and made a case with that in mind. It shows how primitive the rest of AA1 is in comparison to the later entries.

AJ only has one bad case, and what's probably the best tutorial case of the entire series

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 25, 2016

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

HenryEx posted:

also gently caress Layton

That's basically a three word review of PLvsAA right there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only bit of music I remember from PWvsPL that was really good was its rendition of Turnabout Sisters, but it's also impossible to gently caress up Turnabout Sisters.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Nate RFB posted:

impossible to gently caress up Turnabout Sisters.

I'm still waiting for an eventual kazoo rendition of Turnabout Sisters.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

The only bit of music I remember from PWvsPL that was really good was its rendition of Turnabout Sisters, but it's also impossible to gently caress up Turnabout Sisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp_LdIA_HIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZvUXs9eyQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbPdFM4FQNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7czv7Ij3iM

I really love the entire soundtrack

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What, no Courtroom Magic?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

So, after... *checks* 15 hours in that game now, i only recognize the last one, Courtroom Magic, from the game. It's kinda decent.
Since i haven't played any Laytons before, i can only comment on the Phoenix side of music covers, but they tremendously hosed up almost all of them. I get that they're going with a certain instrumental theme here, but man do the tracks not fit into it.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

HenryEx posted:

AJ only has one bad case, and what's probably the best tutorial case of the entire series

AJ's tutorial case frustrated me so much, where everything was obvious yet Phoenix held your hand the entire time. Might as well made the second half a cutscene.

I didn't like AJ much at all. The soundtrack was excellent. I liked Trucy, grown up Ema, and the recurring characters. Wasn't a huge fan of bracelet shenanigans, but except for Brushel's they were easy enough. Yes, you're on a new system, but you should make the 3d puzzles interesting. Cases were frustrating though. Was there a single one where you were able to talk to your client before the trial began? 4-1 I mentioned before, 4-2 was alright but obvious to me. 4-3 was annoying all around, and 4-4 failed to have any weight to it, despite being linked back to 4-1 (and less so to 4-2, 4-3). Some of the characters' behaviors are baffling even to the AA series.

I never find myself wanting to replay AJ: just turn on Trucy's theme, see Ema munch some Snackdoo's and see Mr. Hat come out, I'm good.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
AJ's also clumsy and unsubtle as gently caress. Take the 4-3 killer for instance. Before the second trial nearly every time you see them, regardless of what they're doing or actually saying, Apollo goes "there's something about this person I don't like" or some such. And then as if that wasn't enough directly at the end of the second investigation that person goes "I NEVER LIKED YOU TWERPS FROM THE BEGINNING" as if it wasn't obvious enough from Apollo's stupid comments where this poo poo was going

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

AJ's also clumsy and unsubtle as gently caress. Take the 4-3 killer for instance. Before the second trial nearly every time you see them, regardless of what they're doing or actually saying, Apollo goes "there's something about this person I don't like" or some such. And then as if that wasn't enough directly at the end of the second investigation that person goes "I NEVER LIKED YOU TWERPS FROM THE BEGINNING" as if it wasn't obvious enough from Apollo's stupid comments where this poo poo was going

It's rarely not obvious who the killer is. It was obvious in the preceding case 3, and it was super obvious in the following case 3.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I feel like the murder in 1-3 was really silly. Mainly because they should've changed those fence posts after the first time that happened.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like the murder in 1-3 was really silly. Mainly because they should've changed those fence posts after the first time that happened.

Reminds me that the original first game in general is kind of silly when it comes to the stakes, in the what's on the line sense. It's so baffling that the second case in the entire series is the one with the greatest "villain has the entire court wrapped around his finger" setup and yet he's probably one of the most bumbling idiots to get on the stand not named Larry. And then in 1-3 the one mentioned here you're just casually investigating a murder and suddenly Phoenix and Maya are nearly murdered by the Mafia/Yakuza. Feels like the writing was working a lot of its kinks out til 1-4

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Geniasis posted:

Name two.

I have five little sisters! And I have to say the 'anime little sister' trope is accurate as hell, and also nothing like Franziska.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"It was like, oh my gawd, totally my sister!"

I want the anime to be dubbed so I can hear these lines spoken aloud.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I've been replaying AA5. God drat, I forgot how stupid the killer in Case 2 was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ao25ume/status/713654680979542016

Anime OP!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Here's the song so you can hear it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMmlNMgBXFs

I'll let you all form your own opinions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Here's the song so you can hear it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMmlNMgBXFs

I'll let you all form your own opinions.

The first 20 seconds is kinda bad and there's a weird buzzing instrument I don't like but it's ok?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
gently caress it sounds like one of those boy band songs.

I kinda like it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tired Moritz posted:

I kinda like it.

Considering the band is Johnny's West...

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

That's because it is. It's by Johnny's West, who are as boy band as you can legally get.

It's one of the blandest songs I've ever heard and makes me dread the series even more.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

orenronen posted:

That's because it is. It's by Johnny's West, who are as boy band as you can legally get.

It's one of the blandest songs I've ever heard and makes me dread the series even more.

Don't go in with high expectations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The fact that I can recognise boy band music kinda worries me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hopefully the script will be good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Hopefully the script will be good.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don't go in with high expectations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Optimism is fun.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Looking forward to gifs on unintentionally funny animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've been waiting for this for 11 years, dammit.

I'm trying to come with terms that it'll probably be ok at best.

My poor teenage self's heart.

• Locked thread