Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Jukebox Hero posted:

Gone Home was really loving boring. An empty house you can explore. Whoo.

If that gets you hard as the cobra, you go do you, but doing the whole "little boys mock it because they aren't sophisticated!" Thing is about as bad as people slamming it for being 'a fake out' and stuff because they did no research.

The fact it opens on a stormy night and your alone in the house and you have to find out where your parents are and oh man is there a ghost? Can be ignored because none of those are indicative of a horror game at all, no sir, all who insult gone home are sexually insecure children, says I the big mature man what plays games about lesbian romances that are told entirely in resident evil notes

lol @ u

Also why would you think there's a ghost? There is nothing to suggest there's a ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It's weird that I think that people being pissed about Gone Home not being a horror game have simultaneously a valid and invalid opinion on the game. While it's not a horror game, and it shouldn't be evaluated as one, I feel like a big part of its atmosphere is that it does at times feel like one, so it has that constant atmosphere of 'I am going to turn this corner and wish I hadn't'.

And that never happens. All things considered, the story's pretty saccharine. But that empty and creepy ambiance keeps a tension going that isn't there in the actual text, but is absolutely necessary to keep the story going, because right up until the end it doesn't look like much of anyone is gonna get a happy ending. The fact you're alone in a creepy house on a stormy night keeps you assuming that this cute little love story is going to take one of the darker turns that it actually gets close to taking, because nothing good can ever happen in creepy houses on stormy nights.

So as bullshit of an argument as 'it's not a horror game' is, they're connecting to something that not everyone who praises the game mentions. It's not a horror game, no, but the fact it adopts enough tropes of them that it looks and feels like one is actually an important part of the package.

EDIT:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Also why would you think there's a ghost? There is nothing to suggest there's a ghost.

There's a subplot about the rumored ghost of a previous owner of the house. Indeed, that goes nowhere because there isn't a ghost, but the same thing holds; the sort of setting Gone Home puts together is one where it feels like a ghost very much could get involved and disrupt the story you've been going through thus far.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Mar 25, 2016

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
"It's not literally spelled out that something might be up so why did you think something might be up?"

Gone Home was an interesting use of the video game medium but I find it extremely dull. I'm glad it got made to open the way for other games in that style(I.e. Nothing happening) to be made and actually be interesting. It hasn't happened yet, but maybe someday.

Guy before me phrased it way more eloquently but my two cents is that the horror atmosphere it maintains to keep you interested is kind of disingenuous.

Replaying Arkham City, I love how Azrael catches batarangs.

Jukebox Hero has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Mar 25, 2016

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

lol @ u

I liked Gone Home, but yeah it hints pretty heavily if you play it blind. The poltergeist stuff like lightbulbs flashing out and books moving on their own, the posession and exorcism books laying around, the unusually dark and labyrinthine basement (with weird sounds if I remember right), the demon pentagram altar under the stairs, and a lot of visual cues used in horror games. That part left me a little disappointed. Turns out after the fact (I didn't read anything about it before playing) that the developers were very clear beforehand that there was nothing supernatural in Gone Home and some of the horror tropes that made it into the game were jabs at the people who theorized that there was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gone Home was a Scooby Doo mystery but without anyone in a radioactive robot suit to jump out of a doorway and scare you.

You think you're gonna be chased by a clown with blood dripping out its mouth as you investigate the old abandoned carnival but instead you just find out why the carnival became abandoned and all the scary is because you're alone in the dark investigating an old creaking house.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Jukebox Hero posted:

no sir, all who insult gone home are sexually insecure children, says I the big mature man what plays games about lesbian romances that are told entirely in resident evil notes

Can you point me to anyone who actually said something similar or are you just projecting really hard?

I'm not sure what it is about this game that makes people so angry :(

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

aardwolf posted:

I'm not sure what it is about this game that makes people so angry :(

It has lesbians! And you don't kill anybody! Obviously you have to be some kind of SJW tumblrite milennial to enjoy that kind of filth.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

aardwolf posted:

Ah. Now that I factor in "posturing teenage boys upset that their friends can view their Steam profile and know that they played a game about personal relationships and sexuality" a lot of the backlash against the game suddenly makes sense. Thank you.

I didn't want to point fingers but this was when the smug in the Gone Home chat hit critical

E: wow, I didn't even notice you're the same guy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

shut the gently caress up retards and look at this poo poo:

Korgan posted:

Codsworth/Curie modded just to have Assaultron legs is legit the best robot mod I've seen, this screenshot doesn't do it justice it's so much better in motion

new fallout 4 dlc owns

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Babe Magnet posted:

shut the gently caress up retards and look at this poo poo:

new fallout 4 dlc owns

poo poo, the Sentry Busters followed me out of TF2.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

Gone Home was a Scooby Doo mystery but without anyone in a radioactive robot suit to jump out of a doorway and scare you.

You think you're gonna be chased by a clown with blood dripping out its mouth as you investigate the old abandoned carnival but instead you just find out why the carnival became abandoned and all the scary is because you're alone in the dark investigating an old creaking house.

I'd just like to say I really would love to play a scooby-doo like game where you're chased by a scary monster but at the end unmask it and it really is just old Mr. Johnson. Why has no one made this yet?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Nuebot posted:

I'd just like to say I really would love to play a scooby-doo like game where you're chased by a scary monster but at the end unmask it and it really is just old Mr. Johnson. Why has no one made this yet?

That is ALMOST the twist in Clocktower 2 (the first one on PS1)

Clocktower little things: the evasion animation where you throw a blanket on Scissorman and it somehow disables him long enough for you to run away. It's in the mansion near the end of the game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Re: Gone Home, who the heck buys games totally blind, I mean not even reading one review?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Agents are GO! posted:

Re: Gone Home, who the heck buys games totally blind, I mean not even reading one review?

You've never seen a review that just amounted to "I promise it's good but don't spoil anything for yourself?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Agents are GO! posted:

I bought a lot of games blind back when PS2 bargain bin sections were still a thing outside of CEX.I found a lot of interesting games that way that no one really heard of, like Project Eden (Interesting TPS with a neat level design aesthetic), the Disney Haunted Mansion game (an interesting game where every room had a unique puzzle to it, based on the ride not the movie), and the hilariously stupid Dino Stalker, a rail shooter where you go back in time and fight dinosaurs. Only there is a twist early on - you are not in the past but a computer simulation and the albino raptor running things is the program in charge of the others. I never got much further than that twist but I want to someday because it just was making less and less sense in the best possible way.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Lote of goons showing they've never been in relationships in this thread. Gone Home is a simple sweet story about falling in love with plenty of little touches that show their cute little relationship. There's nothing even sexual about it. Little things like the sister has her rebellious girlfriend dye her hair red because she likes redheads(she has a huge crush on skully and steals her dads playboy-alike with the issue). The rebellious girl gets her to shoplift a hoodie but it's still got the inklock dealie on it so it's hidden in her locker. They make a little fanzine together featuring cowgirls that they trace and rip off from old pinup magazines.

Basically the gender of the two does not matter, but if cannot relate to having love reciprocated there is nothing for you here except a big empty house with lots of 90s trimmings and a pretty rad duck.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Mar 25, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Agents are GO! posted:

I have, constantly. Hell, one of my most consistent traditions is to, whenever something good that I feel like celebrating by myself happens, go buy a game as sight-unseen as possible based solely on what I know about it peripherally (which is usually 'I've heard this is a good game I might enjoy').

Within the last couple years those games have included Pillars of Eternity, Bravely Default, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and Project X-Zone 2. I have literally never been disappointed by doing this, somehow.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

I mostly buy games because someone I know goes "I guess it's okay, yeah" and the game costs less than fifteen bucks. Or because someone I know is like "You'd totally hate it man" and I play it just to prove them wrong. Proving a friend wrong is entirely why I bought Final Fantasy XIII.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

You've never seen a review that just amounted to "I promise it's good but don't spoil anything for yourself?"
Hell that's basically everything anyone ever said about The Witness. And Journey to a degree.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I mostly buy games because someone I know goes "I guess it's okay, yeah" and the game costs less than fifteen bucks. Or because someone I know is like "You'd totally hate it man" and I play it just to prove them wrong. Proving a friend wrong is entirely why I bought Final Fantasy XIII.

Did it work?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Surprisingly, yes. I didn't hate it. I'm waiting for the third one to go on sale for a low enough price so I can finish the trilogy. :shepface: I also unironically liked the ending to the second game because it made me laugh.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Jukebox Hero posted:

I didn't want to point fingers but this was when the smug in the Gone Home chat hit critical

E: wow, I didn't even notice you're the same guy

:allears:

Go on. I'm keen to learn more about what I really think

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

aardwolf posted:

:allears:

Go on. I'm keen to learn more about what I really think

I think he means the Gone Home thread in games and not you specifically.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

>PYF little slapfights about games: Lote of goons showing they've never been in relationships in his thread

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hell that's basically everything anyone ever said about The Witness. And Journey to a degree.

And all three are good games, according to most. I bought 3 different versions of Journey fight me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TomViolence posted:

>PYF little slapfights about games: Lote of goons showing they've never been in relationships in his thread

I hope the use of a barely legal lesbian teen running off with her much older, socially irresponsible adult girlfriend is deliberate in this context.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

poptart_fairy posted:

I hope the use of a barely legal lesbian teen running off with her much older, socially irresponsible adult girlfriend is deliberate in this context.

They're the same age and were in school together iirc

edit: yeah Lonnie was in the JROTC which is specifically for people under 18

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm replaying Red Dead Redemption for the umpteenth time, and goddamn I love having a dedicated "tip your hat" button. I've only played about 4-5 story missions in the 4 hours I've played so far, just spent most of the time slowly riding around the countryside and saying howdy to everyone.

Such a goddamn wonderful game. :tipshat: Where's the cowboy??

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Pedant Wasteland indeed.

I've been playing a little Earth Defense Force 4.1 lately and I really like how different the four classes are. I was expecting a lot of cross-over with the weapons, but each of them handle very differently and have their own armaments. I haven't played online or multiplayer at all, but I bet it's fun in a really budget Monster Hunter way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TomViolence posted:

I've never even seen a human before!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Olaf The Stout posted:

a pretty rad duck.

please expand on this

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

For those of you who are wondering, I was making a reference to Olaf the Stout's post with my terrible thread title joke. A joke that literally nobody got, because they rightly decided not to pay any mind to the slapfight I was referring to. Ho hum. Doing humour on this comedy forum is hard sometimes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TomViolence posted:

For those of you who are wondering, I was making a reference to Olaf the Stout's post with my terrible thread title joke. A joke that literally nobody got, because they rightly decided not to pay any mind to the slapfight I was referring to. Ho hum. Doing humour on this comedy forum is hard sometimes.

IDK, this post is pretty hilarious so you're doing something right

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Yeah my typo hosed you there lol.
As for the duck it's one of the first interactables in the game and one of the few it's worth going back to and has history and gets referenced. It's a fancy little plastic duck with a smart little holiday sweater and his name is Christmas Duck. The developer commentary on Christmas Duck owns also too hahaha.

Oh and the mounting tension from the spooky house is absolutely critical because you are lead to believe no ones stories work out, and there are some very dire red herrings along the way if you are at all invested.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Mar 25, 2016

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I was finally able to get master level on all 24 set dungeons in Diablo III.

The only things you get for doing set dungeons are cosmetic items and challenges completed. Each class has a basic green pendant (a back banner) for completing one primary goal and killing the initial batch of monsters in all four set dungeons. If you complete all primary goals and kill every monster in the set dungeon within a time limit on all four sets, you get a custom pendant for the class.

If you get the basics done for all 24 set dungeons, you get a pair of green wings, similar to the free red ones from pre-order.

If you get mastery in all 24 set dungeons, you get a gigantic set of green dragon wings. They are huge, and flap. (And I mean ridiculously huge.) On top of that, you can equip them and put them back in the storage chest so they don't even take up space on our character, and you can have multiple characters equip them at the same time. You can wear them with the pendants, and let everyone know in multiplayer that you have entirely too much free time and patience.

It was just neat to get an item that's really visually different from anything else in the game. (The set dungeons are all trolls, plus you need a ton of unique gear in addition to the six set pieces for each dungeon.)

Still not sure I can say it was worth it, but at least the reward was cool!

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Pedant Wasteland indeed.

I've been playing a little Earth Defense Force 4.1 lately and I really like how different the four classes are. I was expecting a lot of cross-over with the weapons, but each of them handle very differently and have their own armaments. I haven't played online or multiplayer at all, but I bet it's fun in a really budget Monster Hunter way.

The patlabor dudes and the fliers are crazy together. Hell just two wing divers is awesome. There's a weapon that's pretty much a lightning chainsaw and it owns.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Much older. She's a year older, tops. :rolleyes:

gently caress off.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think it is possible people got mad at Gone Home for not being a horror game because an indie horror game called Home came out around the same time. Perhaps there was a mixup?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

a kitten posted:

gently caress off.

You can still have your barely legal lesbians, my friend. Fear me not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

a kitten posted:

gently caress off.

No need to be hostile if you're just clearing up a misunderstanding about the lesbian romance where one is a manly dyke and one is a girly girl so the author doesn't have to actually understand how gay relationships work("one of them acts like a, girl and one acts like a boy, right?")

In Serious Sam 2(the kinda meh one from the mid 2000s) there's an announcer who calls out power ups and extra lives as you get them in this wonderfully cheesy old game show host voice. I never get tired of 'Eeeeeex-ttraaaaa liii~iiiiiife' in the middle of a giant battle. Having NETRISCA(your sidekick) do the secret area announcements is almost disappointing in comparison.