Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zaphod42 posted:

That's what I figured. Although now I'm wondering how far I can push the WYSIWYG / "ai-is" rules, because the faction I'm thinking about making would be a renegade space marine chapter that's fallen to chaos but only recently and not completely, so I'd ideally like to modify some space marine models and use them as chaos. I figure nobody would complain about using dark angels as ultramarines, but can I get away with using dark angels as chaos marines?

If I did, I'd specifically color-code them to make it obvious which units they're supposed to be, and they'd be mixed in units with proper chaos marines to further drive home the point. And I might even further mod them with pre-Heresey helmets or something.

I don't really play tournaments so for casual play I think most people would be cool with it. And I guess I could always get some more proper chaos marines later on, and swap them depending upon if the person I'm playing with says its kosher or not. That seems like a good strategy.

Thanks. I kinda figured that anybody left with a 6th ed codex is probably in a so-so state. I guess I could play Blood Angels again and be more competitive than Chaos Marines, but honestly I'm just not that kinda tryhard tournament gotta-win player. I'm more about just having fun collecting my own force, painting them, and then having some casual battles with them where I get to see them kill some dudes and die in heroic fashion. If I lose more often than I win I'm not gonna throw a fit about it.
You're 100% fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I can't believe these rules

TURNDOWN: If you shout 'TURN DOWN FOR WHAT' and pelvic thrust throughout your entire turn, the opposing player must do the same. All units within a 12" radius cease all actions throughout the turn and for all intents and purposes are bumping and grinding. This radius expands by 12" for every consecutive turn. The first player to stop pelvic thrusting will lose the match.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 25, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

That's what I figured. Although now I'm wondering how far I can push the WYSIWYG / "ai-is" rules, because the faction I'm thinking about making would be a renegade space marine chapter that's fallen to chaos but only recently and not completely, so I'd ideally like to modify some space marine models and use them as chaos. I figure nobody would complain about using dark angels as ultramarines, but can I get away with using dark angels as chaos marines?

If I did, I'd specifically color-code them to make it obvious which units they're supposed to be, and they'd be mixed in units with proper chaos marines to further drive home the point. And I might even further mod them with pre-Heresey helmets or something.

There's already a great traitor force for this called the Red Corsairs. They're Space Marine pirates more than devoted Chaos champions, but they still delve into Chaos enough because it's an advantage that the Imperium will never touch (the fools!) and technically their leader made a terrible dark pact to ensure their survival, so, there's that. It's a slick color scheme too, since while they have their own colors you can also just paint the marines as whatever faction they were and just put giant gently caress-off red Xs over their original chapter icons.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

MrSlam posted:

I can't believe these new noise marine rules

TURNDOWN: If you shout 'TURN DOWN FOR WHAT' and pelvic thrust throughout your entire turn, the opposing player must do the same. All units within a 12" radius cease all actions throughout the turn and for all intents and purposes are bumping and grinding. This radius expands by 12" for every consecutive turn. The first player to stop pelvic thrusting will lose the match.

lol. You had me until the underlined bit.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Sir Teabag posted:

lol. You had me until the underlined bit.

Noted and edited

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You're 100% fine.

Cool, then I will do it for chaos! :black101:

PierreTheMime posted:

There's already a great traitor force for this called the Red Corsairs. They're Space Marine pirates more than devoted Chaos champions, but they still delve into Chaos enough because it's an advantage that the Imperium will never touch (the fools!) and technically their leader made a terrible dark pact to ensure their survival, so, there's that. It's a slick color scheme too, since while they have their own colors you can also just paint the marines as whatever faction they were and just put giant gently caress-off red Xs over their original chapter icons.

Yeah I was reading about Red Corsairs, as well as the Crimson Slaughter and the Abyssal Crusade. I've got some fluff going that these guys are actually my old Blood Angels derived chapter, whose pursuit of power in the name of destroying the enemies of the Emperor even at the cost of damning their own souls lead them to ultimately become tainted with Chaos. So I'd be going for a similar doctrine of battle to how I used to play (lots of assault marines and librarians) although now flipped around to Chaos.

I like the idea of making up my own bullshit faction so that I can say whatever I want without possibly conflicting some existing chapter canon somewhere in a chaos black library book I didn't read, although the little bit of story I'd come up with so far as well as the color scheme I like most is already so extremely similar to the Oracles of Change I might just go ahead and call them Oracles of Change. There also isn't very much existing fluff for the Oracles' so I could get away with making up my own stuff without conflicting something. Still might call them something else though...

Back when I played blood angels, one of my friends who played 40k a lot was playing grey knights, so we had to come up with excuses for my faction to be declared Excommunicate Traitoris by the Inquisition (usually related to the black thirst). So I'm thinking my story will be they were caught in the warp storm Dionys, sent on the Abyssal Crusade, emerged victorious, but were still declared traitors by the Inquisition, partially due to the giant number of psykers present and their sustained exposure to the warp. With nowhere else to go, they were forced to retreat into the warp, and were driven insane by Tzeentch. Now they travel the Immaterium battling Traitor Marines and Loyalist Marines both wherever they find them in a never ending Abyssal Crusade.

There's my dumb fluff :v:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's my dumb fluff :v:

Best fluff.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I think I saw the Dawn of Awesome guy on here once. If he does post here I just wanted to say thank you for your hard work and good jokes.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's SRM.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Lord Twisted posted:

Nope, ours was much simpler! Found at goodbadgreenskin.tumblr.com

Ive been intending to convert it up into a nice pdf but work has been murdering me recently so I haven't had time to do blog hobby, just normal hobby.

Oh, thank fat goon Christ. Simplicity is not an inherently bad thing, but nobody told the wishlister I linked. I mean, I guess it is technically better than the GW Ork Codex, overcosted ratfucked pile of 4th Ed. copy-paste that it is, but he just kept piling on unnecessary poo poo when so few things are really needed to fix/update da Boyz to 7th Ed. for real (SH Orkanauts, points adjustments, invuln saves, double-I on charge, different Mob Rule, bring back Ramshackle, job's a guddun).

FFS, like Orks really needed a ton of extraneous special characters specifically designed to list-tailor (against Tyranids--really??).

Though, I now see that this whole project is for 30k and not 40k. TBH, while I acknowledge the need for possible drawbacks on things like WAAAGH!, it's not like Wulfen or any other recent codex really got a balancing drawback. But there I go criticizing adjustments without actually making any myself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrSlam posted:

I think I saw the Dawn of Awesome guy on here once. If he does post here I just wanted to say thank you for your hard work and good jokes.

Spehss Mahreens!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

MrSlam posted:

I can't believe these rules

Man, Bulbasaur and Panascope pull out all the stops in their homegroan rules.

Shake Lockerman
Jul 5, 2013

O, rejoice!
For soon the world will burst with wombs
The sun will claw for the trees in vain
And an ocean of bones will creak below
I've seen people talking about 30k positively in this thread. As someone who loves 40k fluff and aesthetic, etc, but thinks the current state of the game is abysmal and unfun bullshit, is 30k any better in that regard?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A goon has set up an interactive LP of Battlefleet Gothic here.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Shake Lockerman posted:

I've seen people talking about 30k positively in this thread. As someone who loves 40k fluff and aesthetic, etc, but thinks the current state of the game is abysmal and unfun bullshit, is 30k any better in that regard?

General consensus is yes. The game features space marines vs. space marines vs. space marines vs. spindly little human guys vs. spindly little human-robbit guys, so the balancing act between factions is much easier. No Tau/Eldar bullshit (also no xenos flavor, it's all marines/guard/mechanicum, all the time).

The formation bullshit is also not present. You get a Rite of War for each legion that gives special allowances for your army based on your legion's theme, but also usually comes with a drawback or two. If you get a free upgrade, or an extra Elite slot due to your RoW, chances are you're taking a penalty somewhere else (limited HQ choices or loss of Heavy Support/LoW slot).

Shake Lockerman
Jul 5, 2013

O, rejoice!
For soon the world will burst with wombs
The sun will claw for the trees in vain
And an ocean of bones will creak below

koreban posted:

General consensus is yes. The game features space marines vs. space marines vs. space marines vs. spindly little human guys vs. spindly little human-robbit guys, so the balancing act between factions is much easier. No Tau/Eldar bullshit (also no xenos flavor, it's all marines/guard/mechanicum, all the time).

The formation bullshit is also not present. You get a Rite of War for each legion that gives special allowances for your army based on your legion's theme, but also usually comes with a drawback or two. If you get a free upgrade, or an extra Elite slot due to your RoW, chances are you're taking a penalty somewhere else (limited HQ choices or loss of Heavy Support/LoW slot).

I like the sound of that. I have an existing Blood Angels army, what exactly would I need to play them in a game of 30k?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Shake Lockerman posted:

I like the sound of that. I have an existing Blood Angels army, what exactly would I need to play them in a game of 30k?

Honestly given that 90% of the armies are marines, it'd be one hell of a feat if the game *wasn't* balanced.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shake Lockerman posted:

First: do drop by the 30k thread! Despite the occasional, huh, outbursts, we're all good people.

The simplest way to get into 30k (Blood Angels) is to get the Crusade "red book". This sets you up for playing as a generic Legion. All of the legions share a common core of units, vehicles, wargear, etc. and that's what's in it Keep in mind though that this book is going to be replaced this year with an updated version... supposedly there will be a free PDF so no one needs to re-buy anything, but eh.

And then there's the Legions "red book". This contains all of the rules and options for playing specific legions; unique rules, units, etc. Note that Blood Angels, White Scars, Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Thousand Sons are NOT in this book. The first three have placeholder/temporary rules in the new campaign book, the last two don't have any yet until book seven comes out late this year.

My recommendation? Get yourself a PDF of the two red books, look at how 30k armies are composed, ask questions in the 30k thread. And if you like what you see, go ahead and splurge on the real deal. Hit me up if you need pointers on that first thing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
My game with BuffaloChicken going up now--http://www.twitch.tv/thechirurgeon

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MrSlam posted:

That's-a-me. I'm writing the 7th one now.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

My game with BuffaloChicken going up now--http://www.twitch.tv/thechirurgeon

Urgh you're actually using the whip-ey sticks to measure... proper tape-measures are like £1 from a DIY store.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hey! Bulbasaur! You down for some Kill Team action at Mox Boarding House?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Renfield posted:

Urgh you're actually using the whip-ey sticks to measure... proper tape-measures are like £1 from a DIY store.

Yeah cause when I think of hamming with buff chix I think about the mms of precision that tape measure gives me over whippy stix.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Renfield posted:

Whippy sticks are actually pretty good if you cut them to specific, common lengths like 6in and such.

So the chaos rhino comes with these panels that have spikes or a face or a chaos symbol on it. Where do I use these pieces? It isn't in the instructions.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 26, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Whippy sticks are actually pretty good if you cut them to specific, common lengths like 6in and such.

Whippy sticks are only good at whipping your opponent :orks101:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

spacegoat posted:

Yeah cause when I think of hamming with buff chix I think about the mms of precision that tape measure gives me over whippy stix.
I was trying to get TheChirurgeon to whip me but he didn't want to?!

praise slaanesh

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Lost-Patrol-EN

Kind of disappointed its the standard Marine Scout and Genestealer models. Had almost hoped for some new sculpts for this at least on the Marine side.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

So the chaos rhino comes with these panels that have spikes or a face or a chaos symbol on it. Where do I use these pieces? It isn't in the instructions.

Wherever you want, broham. Here are some suggestions:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

TheChirurgeon posted:

I wonder if CSMs ever hit those vertical spikes on the edges with the bolter on the swivel and are just like "GAAH gently caress"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hihohe posted:

I wonder if CSMs ever hit those vertical spikes on the edges with the bolter on the swivel and are just like "GAAH gently caress"

If they don't, I make up for it by constantly snagging on them with a shirt/sleeve and wreaking havoc

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I bought the BFG: Armada PC game after being pushed off the fence by everyone here talking it up. I'm not liking it at all. It seems like even on easy mode, the AI has a huge advantage in everything. It takes me FOREVER to destroy an enemy ship or transport, meanwhile the AI just zips around performing micromanaging miracles and weathering fire that would see my ships in a similar situation obliterated very quickly. There is no real tutorial to speak of, as the campaign doesn't currently let me do jack poo poo, and apparently that's where they intend to insert slow introduction of abilities and strategies. There is no clear instruction on how best to use different kinds of ships, their abilities, or weapons, and nothing at all to indicate the differences between them either. You're stuck just picking from one of however many ships available for purchase and hoping for the best. I'll try again when they actually release the drat game.

Never preorder anything ever.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Wrong. Battlefleet Gothic Armada is actually good, and cool.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Reynold posted:

I bought the BFG: Armada PC game after being pushed off the fence by everyone here talking it up. I'm not liking it at all. It seems like even on easy mode, the AI has a huge advantage in everything. It takes me FOREVER to destroy an enemy ship or transport, meanwhile the AI just zips around performing micromanaging miracles and weathering fire that would see my ships in a similar situation obliterated very quickly. There is no real tutorial to speak of, as the campaign doesn't currently let me do jack poo poo, and apparently that's where they intend to insert slow introduction of abilities and strategies. There is no clear instruction on how best to use different kinds of ships, their abilities, or weapons, and nothing at all to indicate the differences between them either. You're stuck just picking from one of however many ships available for purchase and hoping for the best. I'll try again when they actually release the drat game.

To each their own. I've been really enjoying the game so far even if it is just a multiplayer beta. I'm looking forward to the single player campaign when it fully releases. On the plus side, Steam will give you a full refund no questions asked if you have played less than two hours. Don't be bashful about pursuing that avenue if you still qualify.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching Ork bumper kars is the best.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Gee I hope they don't gently caress up Nids in Pc game BFG, they had it hard enough against Imps/Marines in the tabletop BFG.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TheChirurgeon posted:

Be aware that some of those add height that make them a bitch to transport!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TheChirurgeon posted:

I would just like to add that the application of red here is fantastic and I am going to use this idea.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ghost Hand posted:

Be aware that some of those add height that make them a bitch to transport!

So true. It's especially a pain in the rear end on the land raider.

Ghost Hand posted:

I would just like to add that the application of red here is fantastic and I am going to use this idea.

go nuts! It's based on the "Hounds of Abaddon" concept in the Black Legion book. It goes with a squad of MoK CSMs.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

So I'm just getting back into 40k after having not played in over 2 years. I got out towards the end of 6th Ed while formations were still relatively new, and have a few questions on them and the new force org charts. I know unbound is a thing now but combined arms has advantages too. Does anyone even play unbound? I always felt that well rounded lists were just better, and combined arms seems to play into that thought, I just want to know if unbound is something broken (if people even play it), and if it's even something to watch out for.

As for formations, they look to have almost merged with the new race specific force or charts? All the ones I've seen so far look a lot more intricate than the older tau gently caress off battle suit ones. How do these work now?

Finally, for Tau, should I look into any foc other than combined arms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Lost-Patrol-EN

Kind of disappointed its the standard Marine Scout and Genestealer models. Had almost hoped for some new sculpts for this at least on the Marine side.

drat that's boring. There's already a deathwatch vs genestealer boxed game which is the same thing but cooler. They should have made it Catachan Jungle Fighters vs Genestealers, that'd be way better.

Reynold posted:

I don't know how you're this bad. I'm terrible at RTS game and I can stomp the computer on Hard pretty easy. Armada is a fantastic game with really slick controls.

Are you just like horrible at naval tactics or something? Do you understand all the rules at play? Admittedly the campaign doesn't teach you all the rules that you need to understand. That said there is a tutorial, you get to play 3 campaign missions, not sure what you're on about here.

Maybe try a different faction. Especially if you're playing chaos, they're VERY hard to use well. Try navy and really look at your ships classes and think about how to use their strengths. Its not too hard to figure out how the game mechanics work, and you can ask questions in the armada thread for things you're not sure about, which is what I did.

Just put some effort in and learn the game dude, its a strategy game of course you can't just select all -> right click your way to victory.

Kharnifex posted:

Gee I hope they don't gently caress up Nids in Pc game BFG, they had it hard enough against Imps/Marines in the tabletop BFG.

They probably aren't even doing Nids dude. There's a small chance they will, but probably not. Its just Navy, Orks, Eldar and Chaos, with Marines as a DLC that people who pre-order get free. They announced one more faction is coming as DLC, I really hope its tyranids but I'm expecting something dumb like Tau or Dark Eldar instead. Nids would be a ton of work :smith:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2016

• Locked thread