Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The laser on the GameCube's optical drive can lose power overtime but there's guides online on how to correct that by adjusting a potentiometer a bit. I did that to fix a "sold as-is" thrift store GameCube I bought for $2.

This requires working knowledge on how screwdrivers work, however, and I dunno if non-3DS owners are as bad at those as 3DS owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

shaitan posted:

I sold my NES to get a SNES, sold my Genesis and SNES to get a PSX, right when I was old enough to start working. So now I have PSX and up left in my house
What did you sell to get your Genesis?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

What did you sell to get your Genesis?

his thumbs

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
gently caress, I sold my Genesis to buy you these thumb rings.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mercury Crusader posted:

The laser on the GameCube's optical drive can lose power overtime but there's guides online on how to correct that by adjusting a potentiometer a bit. I did that to fix a "sold as-is" thrift store GameCube I bought for $2.

This requires working knowledge on how screwdrivers work, however, and I dunno if non-3DS owners are as bad at those as 3DS owners.
Is there really a guide that makes it as simple as using a screwdriver? Cause a quick search just gives me electrician speak and I don't even own a multimeter.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet chewed through my gamepad charger again. I'm kinda sick of this, and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever bought any cord protectors for the charger? Also, is a wire stripper like this appropriate for stripping the cord? I'm considering just buying heat shrinks and a soldering iron too.

loving cats :supaburn:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sorry about your cat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sell your cat watch how much extra money you suddenly have and how much your life immediately improves and how much better your apartment smells.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Sell your cat watch how much extra money you suddenly have and how much your life immediately improves and how much better your apartment smells.

Interestingly, though, the inverse is also true. Sell yourself, leave the cat your games.

EDIT: I cant stop Mario Making

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Pollyanna posted:

Jet chewed through my gamepad charger again. I'm kinda sick of this, and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever bought any cord protectors for the charger? Also, is a wire stripper like this appropriate for stripping the cord? I'm considering just buying heat shrinks and a soldering iron too.

loving cats :supaburn:

I bought this stuff from Ikea to protect my Wii U cords. It's wider than you need, but that's extra space to protect your cords from cat teeth. I also used it to bundle my various gaming system cords together to organize them, so now it looks like a bunch of white snakes are all crammed behind our entertainment center.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

I seriously saw people saying they needed to practice with a screwdriver before their n3ds got there stf

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I have an NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, GB, GBC, GBA, and DS in storage. Never had a Wii. Have my WiiU and 3DS out.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I still have my N64 out and hooked up to my TV, along with a Wii U and a PC. My sister got rid of our old NES a long time ago, but I still have some of the games. Been meaning to pick up a new NES to replace it at some point. We used to have a Wii, but the disc drive died and I replaced it with a Wii U.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

greatn posted:

over my dead body

I bought a wire stripper and one of those Rabalders. Thanks for the recs!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Put vinegar and discharge on your cables so your cat won't chew right threw them.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Not only do I have all my Nintendo consoles, I have someone else's N64

(Borrowed it and they declined to take it back!!)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I dont even know where my old NES went. I have an SNES on up yet, but we don't use it, and the N64 is at my sister's house, still used occasionally for New Tetris or Dr. Mario 64.

I dropped snow into the bag I was carrying my Wii around in like the first year it came out, and it still lasted until last year, just had some corrosion in the sensor bar port but I wired a bar up to an AC adapter. Then last year it started getting memory corruption issues, thankfully long after I had done a system transfer to the Wii U.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I lost just about everything I owned back in 2006, including a Gamecube and N64. I didn't end up getting another console til the Wii U in 2014.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wrap your cables in tinfoil, cats hate that poo poo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Go a step further and wrap your cat in tinfoil

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TheKingofSprings posted:

Go a step further and wrap your cat in tinfoil

Bake at 385º for 1 hour, server once cooled

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

CrashCat posted:

Is there really a guide that makes it as simple as using a screwdriver? Cause a quick search just gives me electrician speak and I don't even own a multimeter.

It's been a year or two since I last fixed mine, but I recall reading a step-by-step guide with photos on how to do it. It may have also recommended using a multimeter but honestly I just kinda winged that part and used a throwaway sports title for testing just in case I made the laser too strong. The only difficult parts aside from disassembling the console was locating the potentiometer. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

This guide describes how to get to it, but for some reason it says to keep disassembling after step 10 when the potentiometer screw is in view. Get to step 10 then skip straight to step 17. You'll need a gamebit tool to open the console which is something I take for granted.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 25, 2016

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I don't have any local friends. Is Rayman legends a good investment for some single player fun? I'm hoping to find it in a bargain bin at some point.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
It's really good, and was on sale on the eShop a week or two ago for like 10bux

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I want to play the next Zelda on the machine it was originally designed for (as I did with Twilight Princess), so I'll be keeping my Wii U for that. I've got a backlog anyhow (Okami and Metroid Prime Trilogy via Wii Mode, beating the hard challenges in Smash Wii U).

Still disappointed that Project CARS Wii U failed to transpire...

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 26, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ronnie posted:

I don't have any local friends. Is Rayman legends a good investment for some single player fun? I'm hoping to find it in a bargain bin at some point.

I don't think it's as good as Mario or Tropical Freeze but yeah. There's kinda annoying touch screen levels you have to do but thankfully there's not a lot of them and the game even includes almost all the levels from Rayman Origins so there's a lot of content.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Still disappointed that Project CARS Wii U failed to transpire...
It runs like poo poo on the PS4, so its probably for the best

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

RyokoTK posted:

My cat loves it, if anything it would get her to start paying attention to my WiiU.

I've still got my Gamecube, Wii, and DS, but the DS is broken in half and dead. My WiiU and 3DS are still in regular use, and I'm having a lot of fun with Twilight Princess. I feel like once you can change to a wolf at will it really makes it feel like one game - the wolf parts feel kinda disjointed from the regular Zelda-ing and make the first three dungeons of the game and the accompanying wolf parts feel like an extended (if fun) tutorial in hindsight. It's really made me like this game even more.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

homeless snail posted:

It runs like poo poo on the PS4, so its probably for the best
Is Project CARS the Gran Tursimo killer is was purported to be?

Ronnie posted:

Yeah, it's a terrific platformer. You don't need friends to make it shine. As a bonus, all the levels from Rayman Origins are included. Plus the daily challenges are fun.

One day I was hungover as poo poo and I was logging in to do my daily Rayman challenge and I loving deleted my save data which, for some loving reason, counts towards your overall global score, and that sat me back literal months in getting the Truly Awesome achievement and now I'll never get it boo hoo, wah wah, so it goes.

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 26, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

No

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I sold my DS when I got a 3DS because I can just play DS games on it.

My mom sold the NES we had in a garage sale when I was a kid :(

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

your mom sold me your nes.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

You fucker!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I think I paid $10 for my nes with a box of games, $10 for my snes with a box of games, and $10 for my n64, again with a box of games. People want like 5-10 times that now lol

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I sold my SNES at a garage sale when I was a kid. Then I went and bought Banjo-Kazooie with that cash. I'm not sure which of these was the worse decision.

(well all right, Banjo-Kazooie was pretty cool at the time)

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Doc Morbid posted:

I sold my SNES at a garage sale when I was a kid. Then I went and bought Banjo-Kazooie with that cash. I'm not sure which of these was the worse decision.

(well all right, Banjo-Kazooie was pretty cool at the time)

I sold my nes and snes to get a saturn and then the saturn to get an n64 (and later psx) then both of those, but not the games, to get a gamecube. I've rebought everything since for dirt cheap thankfully, although I'll never find a cheap copy of Dragon Force :(

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Reggie.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's been a year or two since I last fixed mine, but I recall reading a step-by-step guide with photos on how to do it. It may have also recommended using a multimeter but honestly I just kinda winged that part and used a throwaway sports title for testing just in case I made the laser too strong. The only difficult parts aside from disassembling the console was locating the potentiometer. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

This guide describes how to get to it, but for some reason it says to keep disassembling after step 10 when the potentiometer screw is in view. Get to step 10 then skip straight to step 17. You'll need a gamebit tool to open the console which is something I take for granted.

i can confirm it's real easy to fix a gamecube's disc laser, provided you can open up the dumb thing in the first place

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My dad pawned my SNES and most if not all of the games to some Puerto Rican kid. I'd almost suppressed that memory, and now it returns and I vow revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
my copy of goldeneye was stolen when i was a kid, i had 007 mode unlocked and everything i will neVER FORGIVE.

years later though a friend's kids were offloading their n64 and games and they gave me their copy of goldeneye, so it worked out though.

• Locked thread