Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

It's probably objectively not amazing, but I REALLY like this card:

I mean, this is the kind of card you'd play in any red deck just because it's removal, and some decks will do a crazy thing now and then. It's just gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tfw your hall of famer bae disses your app and streams hearthstone all day instead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
nm

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Rinkles posted:

The "gold" captains

The green activated ability granting Indestructible seems a bit weird

Interestingly, they've gone with a cycle of non-creatures for the enemy color draft uncommons:

Seems like GU has a strong investigate theme and UR has some spells-matter, but the others seem less clear.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Hello five color tokens, how are you

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

WR is just aggro, which makes sense.
WB seems to be a sacrifice deck.
BG seems graveyard/self mill with land discard/sac/recursion elements

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This set is outstanding on initial inspection

E: I like that madness and investigate allow a guided 3 color draft strategy alongside the normal 10 color pairs

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I had promised myself I wouldn't spend any more money on Magic but this set is making it soo hard to resist. I wonder if I have enough cards on MODO still to get enough tickets for a draft set..

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fiend Computer posted:

Yeah there's a combo deck waiting to be built around this card but I'm not smart enough to make it. Two mana to make all of your creatures into BoP seems really cheap, especially with how not-pushed mana dorks have been lately.

Would Modern/Legacy Elves want this, or do they already have enough ways to tap their creatures for mana?

E: This reads "1G: Spells you cast have Convoke" and then some.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

It's probably objectively not amazing, but I REALLY like this card:

Who ya gonna call

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fiend Computer posted:

Just got real bummed that jeskai ascendancy is rotating.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Good thing that enchantment wasn't around the same time as jeskai ascendancy.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

netcat posted:

Who ya gonna call

Geistbusters!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This is a weird and cool removal spell that really feels red. It's the worst card ever to have stuck in your hand if you're on the back foot and can't make profitable attacks, but when you are attacking it has the potential to be a such a blowout. I think it probably won't end up being that good because of how unreliable it will be, but it's a cool design.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Instant-speed Wrack With Madness, on the other hand, just seems fantastic.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Sets flavor is loving amazing. So stoked to play this, and I really want to draft UG investigate.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Entropic posted:

Instant-speed Wrack With Madness, on the other hand, just seems fantastic.

God the cards in this set are sweet.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Double post, but UG investigate will be really sweet. Case in point

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 25, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Entropic posted:

This is a weird and cool removal spell that really feels red. It's the worst card ever to have stuck in your hand if you're on the back foot and can't make profitable attacks, but when you are attacking it has the potential to be a such a blowout. I think it probably won't end up being that good because of how unreliable it will be, but it's a cool design.

I think that's playable in sealed and sideboard material in draft, but yeah, that's a cool card that's probably really bad most of the time.

Inner struggle is cool as heck though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fiend Computer posted:

Double post, but UG investigate will be really sweet. Case in point

Goddamn I wanna draft Blue Green Clues so baaaddd

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

My only regret is that the "have X clues, win the game" card is obviously in the next set and I can't play it right now

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Entropic posted:

Goddamn I wanna draft Blue Green Clues so baaaddd

That ghost is adorable

e:

Hermit of the Natterknolls seems very, very good

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 25, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fiend Computer posted:

My only regret is that the "have X clues, win the game" card is obviously in the next set and I can't play it right now

The mill enchantment is this in limited at least.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

That ghost is adorable

e:

There are some insane green uncommons in this set. This one is constructed playable.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
well this the hypest I have been for a magic set since i started playing again at theros holy moly

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

okay, now I'm leaning towards a UG investigate deck with the Sphinx's Tutelage thing.

There are a ton of ways to draw cards, I just gotta figure out how to stop someone from crushing my face I guess.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Fiend Computer posted:

Dramatic Courtroom Reveal
If you sacrificed 5 or more clues this turn, you win the game.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Put your drat glove back on.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

What a flavor home run.
This card also seems absurd, but then again almost every uncommon is.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fiend Computer posted:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

It's a massive blowout but it's very easy to play around, you might get someone with it in game 1 but you should probably just side it out once they've seen it

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's a massive blowout but it's very easy to play around, you might get someone with it in game 1 but you should probably just side it out once they've seen it

A lot of people are going to make impulsive big attacks holding this up and then get wrecked when their opponent just single-blocks something.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There isn't a single card in this set that I don't love. What a goddamn slam dunk of a set. All that's left to see if the limited plays as good as it looks, and we'll finally have a return set that lives up to the original.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Entropic posted:

It looks awful imo. Turn Against was a similar card where the idea was to get two of your opponent's creatures to fight each other. Turns out it's very hard to get a 2-for-1 and you usually just kill the creature you care least about.

An extremely situational 1-for-1 removal spell that costs 5 mana and doesn't kill your opponents best creature sounds unplayable to me.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

little munchkin posted:

It looks awful imo. Turn Against was a similar card where the idea was to get two of your opponent's creatures to fight each other. Turns out it's very hard to get a 2-for-1 and you usually just kill the creature you care least about.

An extremely situational 1-for-1 removal spell that costs 5 mana and doesn't kill your opponents best creature sounds unplayable to me.

The effect is great imo but 5 is too much yeah. This would have been fair at 1RR even.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Lord of Hats posted:

There isn't a single card in this set that I don't love.

:frogbon:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Entropic posted:

A lot of people are going to make impulsive big attacks holding this up and then get wrecked when their opponent just single-blocks something.

They don't have to be blocking the same creature

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm going to enjoy holding up the mana to fake having it just to make people have to worry about it and block poorly.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dragon enthusiast posted:

They don't have to be blocking the same creature

I know that, but I people will still make poor assumptions about how their opponent's going to block.

It's a very unreliable probably just bad card that I will inevitably lose to several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Entropic posted:

I know that, but I people will still make poor assumptions about how their opponent's going to block.

It's a very unreliable probably just bad card that I will inevitably lose to several times.

Definitely going to be a groaner.

• Locked thread