Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, I was just trying to make the point briefly. The reasons behind bullshit nostalgia are usually myriad and forgotten, it's true.
If I can't be pedantic in the TG Industry thread, where can I be!? :saddowns:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Looking at the "Hottest Titles" on the RPGNow page is usually a source of puzzlement for me, since it's relatively rare I recognize anything on it. "DRAGONLOCK MINIATURES: Lizardfolk Set 1" is #2 as an Electrum Seller. Must be a lot more 3D printing miniature gamers there than I would have guessed, or the bar is pretty low, or both.
I remember when Warehouse 23 opened way back in the day and they made some proud post that a product had broken a hundred sales. I mean this was well over a decade ago and PDF gaming products are a bit more accepted and all, but I can't imagine that the actual day-to-day sales on any RPG-specific store is all that high even now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Looking at the "Hottest Titles" on the RPGNow page is usually a source of puzzlement for me, since it's relatively rare I recognize anything on it. "DRAGONLOCK MINIATURES: Lizardfolk Set 1" is #2 as an Electrum Seller. Must be a lot more 3D printing miniature gamers there than I would have guessed, or the bar is pretty low, or both.

Unfinished ended up being in the hottest titles for like a week because I got BoingBoinged. It's still only copper because fewer than X people have paid cash money for it (not that I can blame them, it's 150 loving words). I have a rough idea of where copper and silver's threshold is in terms of paid sales, but I wasn't paying attention to B7 when it went electrum so I have a gap in the data set.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

gnome7 posted:

I think part of that defensiveness when posting in a public place (like Twitter or the SA Forums) comes less from trying to say "oh you should try these vampire things, person who said they are tired of vampire things" and more "oh this person says vampire things are tiresome, I hope they don't convince other people that vampires are tiresome, here's a bunch of cool vampire things for everyone else to see so they know vampires are cool actually." It isn't even you specifically they're trying to convince, even if their spiel is directed at you. It's everyone reading your conversation they're trying to convince, because you want more people to like the things you like, right? You don't want them to also think the things you like are dull, so you need to talk about how cool they are wherever someone talks about how dull they are.

I think a lot of it has to do with the market being so small and relatively desperate that there's a meaningful incentive for fans to recruit new players for their favorite games just on principle and to likewise make an effort to prevent negative opinions from becoming prevailing wisdom.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

DigitalRaven posted:

Unfinished ended up being in the hottest titles for like a week because I got BoingBoinged. It's still only copper because fewer than X people have paid cash money for it (not that I can blame them, it's 150 loving words). I have a rough idea of where copper and silver's threshold is in terms of paid sales, but I wasn't paying attention to B7 when it went electrum so I have a gap in the data set.

I'm reasonably certain that Gold's around 600 paid sales, and Electrum's around 250, just going by when I noticed things crossing the threshold. I *think* free sales - from bundles and kickstarter fulfilment - don't count at all.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

The frustrating thing is when Thing I Don't Like comes from a place of misinformation since then you have to weigh letting them spread said misinformation or coming across as the person who just can't let people have their own Opinions, maaaan

I think that, just as people have the right to state their belief that they do not like the thing, other people have the right to say that they disagree. However, this does not work at all in communities that cannot handle poo poo as mundane as disagreement, which is why you have things like the unique phenomenon of + and - threads in rpg.net, or like when people on SA can't or don't want to engage with other people's arguments and just settle for attacking the poster by spending money to fill their avatars with ad-hominems, in the hopes of poisoning their posts by association. These are not good things, at all, but you are probably still best off embracing them whole-heartedly, in the hopes that you can one day be the one shutting out other people's opinions instead of it happening to you. Anyway that is my opinion. \_:shobon:_/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So I was on DTRPG today, and the Alpha Blue product page was right there as a New Title. So it passed the review, right? Nothing happened?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, it was reviewed, OBS said 'eh' and put it back up again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, it was reviewed, OBS said 'eh' and put it back up again.

So basically exactly as everyone except the "moral panic panic" brigade predicted would happen with OBS' review policy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
For those who're morbidly curious, here's the Tenkar's Tavern review of Alpha Blue's content.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 25, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

For those who're morbidly curious, here's the Tenkar's Tavern review of Alpha Blue's content.

I think you mean this: http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2016/03/so-just-how-offensive-is-alpha-blue.html

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That too.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So basically, "About as gross as two cthulhutech sourcebooks"

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wow, some of the comments on that one. "Offended them is a good thing as it shows you will not submit to dhimmitude" is a phrase I never expected to see.

Kai Tave posted:

So basically exactly as everyone except the "moral panic panic" brigade predicted would happen with OBS' review policy.
Indeed. This seems to strike the silly idea that OBS would have anything close to draconian censorship dead in the water.

EDIT: To avoid keeping the topic on nothing but the vengeful devil man's game, I have a question on the TG industry that's been rattling around in my head lately, even if it's not a particularly interesting one.

Exactly how viable is it to keep your business afloat with mid-range cost ($6 to $15 range or so) PDF sales? It's the bread and butter of the majority of OBS publishers, and Steve Jackson Games has more or less entirely moved GURPS to that format (though admittedly they have Munchkin sales that probably contribute more to their buoyancy), so it seems like it is at least somewhat successful, but I was curious if anyone had an actual insider opinion on the matter.

Fossilized Rappy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 25, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I legitimately cannot wrap my head around the idea that offending people is a good thing and not something assholes do.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

I legitimately cannot wrap my head around the idea that offending people is a good thing and not something assholes do.
I'm more struck by the insistence that they be allowed to offend people but that it's really unfair if those people then act all offended.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Indeed. This seems to strike the silly idea that OBS would have anything close to draconian censorship dead in the water.

You and I both know that won't be the case. Prime example being:

Pundowski posted:

OBS Turns Around, Quickly Reinstates Alpha Blue, But This Resolves NOTHING

So, it is a victory, kind of!

Alpha Blue author Venger Satanis is now reporting that he had a conversation with Steve Wieck where the latter agreed to reinstate Alpha Blue. This after they had earlier pulled Alpha Blue and threatened to keep it out for up to two weeks while they 'reviewed' the case, based on complaints made by some Pseudo-Activist Swine who found the slightly naughty game offensive.
This was only possible because OBS has already surrendered to the notion of allowing this Outrage Brigade to act as CENSORS over the gaming hobby.

Now, it is great news that Alpha Blue is back and that once again Wieck has chosen to stand up for the right of these RPGs to exist, though it doesn't change the fundamental issue. I mean, what's to stop SJWs from mass outrage and pushing Wieck to fold and ban it again, which is exactly what happened with 'tournament'?

They are bound to be angry about this, and Wieck has a perfect track record of submitting to their demands thus far.

It also doesn't change the deeper issue: that the whole 'report button' process of pre-censoring books while they are 'under review' is FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG. It is deeply offensive. I'll go so far as to call it an active EVIL.

And let's see whether the 'white list' really means anything or not. Remember, Wieck so far has a PERFECT track record of SURRENDER and APPEASEMENT to the SJWs. We'll have to see what happens now when Tracy Hurley or Fred Hicks or any of the usual suspects start to raise up a ruckus about how Wieck is "enabling rape culture" by having "endorsed" Alpha Blue. We'll see just how long his newfound lack of utter spineless cowardice holds

It's great that Alpha Blue is back (and now has the theoretical promise of never being pulled again, though I suspect that promise isn't worth the paper its written on). But this doesn't change the fact that the book SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CENSORED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Lorenzetti Quiete + Gawith's Commonwealth

The usual suspects will harp on about this endlessly no matter the outcome. You literally cannot appease these people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

which is exactly what happened with 'tournament'?

The omission of the full title is a classy touch.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So what is the appropriate name for the opponents of social justice, those fighting the social Justice war on the other side? I think it should be appropriately comic bookish to get across the level of prickishness necessary to name ones self an opponent of any sort of justice. I nominate "The Legion of Dumb." Or perhaps "The Brotherhood of Bigotry." Last one for simplicity's sake, "The Injustice League."

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

remusclaw posted:

So what is the appropriate name for the opponents of social justice, those fighting the social Justice war on the other side? I think it should be appropriately comic bookish to get across the level of prickishness necessary to name ones self an opponent of any sort of justice. I nominate "The Legion of Dumb." Or perhaps "The Brotherhood of Bigotry." Last one for simplicity's sake, "The Injustice League."

A flock of anuses.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Call them ED-209's.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Edgelords?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it'd be nice to resurrect a timeless classic: "chauvinist pigs."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Fossilized Rappy posted:

EDIT: To avoid keeping the topic on nothing but the vengeful devil man's game, I have a question on the TG industry that's been rattling around in my head lately, even if it's not a particularly interesting one.

Exactly how viable is it to keep your business afloat with mid-range cost ($6 to $15 range or so) PDF sales? It's the bread and butter of the majority of OBS publishers, and Steve Jackson Games has more or less entirely moved GURPS to that format (though admittedly they have Munchkin sales that probably contribute more to their buoyancy), so it seems like it is at least somewhat successful, but I was curious if anyone had an actual insider opinion on the matter.

SJG is basically kept entirely afloat by Munchkin, which is basically now the geek Monopoly (nobody thinks it's terribly good but Jesus Christ does it sell.) I think for anyone else, at best you're looking at a supplementary source of income, not a living wage and certainly not enough to pay for multiple employees + overhead etc.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Oppression goblins.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I think it'd be nice to resurrect a timeless classic: "chauvinist pigs."

Doesn't quite sum it up- some of it's not specifically sexist but just generally creepy as poo poo, some of it's racist or transphobic or something else besides typical patriarchy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

remusclaw posted:

"Bigots."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Doesn't quite sum it up- some of it's not specifically sexist but just generally creepy as poo poo, some of it's racist or transphobic or something else besides typical patriarchy.

Yeah that's why I settled on bigotry for my X-Men villain alike.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

'Chauvinism' isn't actually limited to sexism, it's just exaggerated and ridiculous loyalty to a cause beyond all sense and reason. The term is named after a French guy who remained doggedly loyal to Napoleon long after he was exiled and the dude himself was grievously injured in battle but he insisted in the ongoing superiority of the Emperor's rulership, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh okay, yeah fair enough I thought we were focused specifically on the sexism here.

I think a more general point still stands though, which is that while the genre may be newer, the opinions are old as dirt and there have been names for them for just as long.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

'Chauvinism' isn't actually limited to sexism, it's just exaggerated and ridiculous loyalty to a cause beyond all sense and reason. The term is named after a French guy who remained doggedly loyal to Napoleon long after he was exiled and the dude himself was grievously injured in battle but he insisted in the ongoing superiority of the Emperor's rulership, etc.

"exaggerated or aggressive patriotism"

Huh, learn something new everyday.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

For a long time you'd see it as "male chauvinist." You can probably see how people went from reading male chauvinist ("chauvinist about maleness") to male, chauvinist ("male and chauvinist") where the latter looks like a fancy word for "sexist."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

They don't deserve the effort of a clever name, not that Social Justice Warriors is particularly clever to begin with. They're just bigots.

What's more, this isn't a big deal. Sure, Mr. Satanis has some embarrassing misconceptions about Muslims that could have been solved with a few minutes on Wikipedia, and decided to put the literally least sexy thing in his game about space sex. But it's a niche product (a RPG) of a niche product (an OSR RPG) of a niche product (a lewd OSR RPG). The fact that it was reviewed at all was literally the only thing worth noting about it.

Yeah, there'll be some crying from the usual suspects in an attempt to warn us about the Orwellian nightmare dystopia we're entering because an elfgame bits-and-mordor store delayed a game by a few days for review. That's fine. They're loons, and they have to be angry, because without anger they are nothing.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
If anything I'm kind of concerned about the usual suspects beating the drum that Table Top Library will be a safe haven of freedom from censorship (apparently defined as "can't be flagged for offensive content").

Table Top Library was founded to be an alternative to OneBookShelf, allowing you greater control of your 5E-compatible intellectual property than DM's Guild and a higher percentage of profits (75%) going to the consumer. There's nothing I saw in their 'sell here' page about defining themselves as a "free speech haven" in the vein of default subreddits.

There's no guarantee that that if someone pulls a Chris Field on their storefront that they'll be protected and continue to sell said offensive product.

Granted, TTL may develop more lax policies than OBS as time goes on, but right now I'm not seeing it. I think after Tournament of Rapists being decried by Sarah Darkmagic, Jessica Price, and feminist game designers, that people hate OneBookShelf's "caving in to SJWs" so much that they see anything else as a valid alternative.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 25, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm just amazed at the sense of entitlement, like OBS is somehow obligated to sell products they don't want to be associated with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, that's what the whole "MAH FREE SPEECH" crowd is about. They don't want freedom of speech, they want freedom of consequences.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, any port in a shitstorm. Of course they're hung up on the threat of becoming being further marginalized - because they are marginalized! They're where they are now because they couldn't be decent to other people, but it's easier for them to believe in some singular conspiracy of meanies than admit that they just might be bad at socialization or compromise (part of the same thing, really). So they'll lash out at the slightest implication of rejection and bray about to any sign of acceptance to the heavens.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The usual band of idiots are only complaining as loudly as they are right now because they feel threatened that their position of privilege is being pulled out from underneath them.

Which it totally is. Just not in the way they think it is.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

When you genuinely believe an Enemy Of Humanity exists in your midst, anything that hurts them sounds like a moral victory. See: ... literally everything in the news

Slimnoid posted:

The usual band of idiots are only complaining as loudly as they are right now because they feel threatened that their position of privilege is being pulled out from underneath them.

Which it totally is. Just not in the way they think it is.
Also this. They are free to get mad at the literally inconsequential impact of a product they enjoy being briefly deemed potentially unsalable while society continues to pull away from the mindset that allows their ignorance to flourish in the first place.

Well granted their evident love of anti-Muslim stuff has some traction right now, but this too shall pass as such things always do.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well granted their evident love of anti-Muslim stuff has some traction right now, but this too shall pass as such things always do.

At least it's no longer the eighties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

At least it's no longer the eighties.
:mad:

• Locked thread