Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

be nice wicka posted:

which sponsors?

"Losing sponsors -> So get quick money thorough exclusive TV deals -> Viewers drop, more sponsors leave" seems like the exact kind of feedback loop that can destroy a sport.

VvV Well alright, i suppose if you are right and the sport is doing to well with its current direction we will see sponsors flooding back in and dumb ideas to "save" the sport like sprinklers, shortcuts and video game qualifying (Seriously, the only other place i saw something like it was "Grid 2"). If massive-fee based TV saves f1 for another 20 years i'm on board, but if its just a quick fix to stuff what used to be tobacco money in bernies bank account, it seems short-sighted.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
F1 is far more interested in the middle class family demographic who already have Sky than the "can't afford or too tight to buy sky so I'll illegally download it" crowd. These are the same people who will bitch about F1 being too quiet while sat on the grass in 20 year old "vintage" t-shirts, while the stands fill up with families who are happy to go to the F1 now kids don't have to wear ear protection, and will pay through the nose for team merchandise. Families spend money, HARDCORE fans are generally tightwads and no amount of BUT WE ARE THE MAJORITY OMG WHY WONT THEY LISTEN TO US bitching on the internet from these people is going to change that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 doesn't have a sponsorship problem. sponsor budgets are higher than ever. stop counting the number of decals on a car, it's misleading af.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

be nice wicka posted:

F1 doesn't have a sponsorship problem. sponsor budgets are higher than ever. stop counting the number of decals on a car, it's misleading af.

F1 is turning into a quasi spec series (which should have reduced costs) and multiple teams are still going under or falling behind on payroll for employees that already sacrificed a lot for the sport, if costs rise faster than income does, those all time high payments just make those sponsors quicker to jump ship.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

F1 is turning into a quasi spec series (which should have reduced costs) and multiple teams are still going under or falling behind on payroll for employees that already sacraficed a lot for the sport, if costs rise faster than income does, those all time high payments just make those sponsors quicker to jump ship.

F1 isn't turning into a quasi-spec series, that's literal nonsense. backmarkers running out of money is the most normal thing in F1 history. and sponsors aren't jumping ship ffs. take a breath and stop assuming the sky is falling.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

F1 is turning into a quasi spec series (which should have reduced costs) and multiple teams are still going under or falling behind on payroll for employees that already sacraficed a lot for the sport, if costs rise faster than income does, those all time high payments just make those sponsors quicker to jump ship.

also, the slightest economic downturn and the sponsorships will be the first ones that bean counters will slash out of spending

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

also, the slightest economic downturn and the sponsorships will be the first ones that bean counters will slash out of spending

wow, again, this isn't new. this has been the situation for literally all of existence. what could possibly be your point?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

be nice wicka posted:

Yep
Philip Morris still gives the glorious Scud lots of cash and they are nowhere to be seen on the car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

can you guys just start your own thread where you take turns predicting the death of F1?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Can you start a "wicka posts things about f1" thread so the rest of us dont have to have annoying "you put this user on ignore, click to see it" gaps in the thread?

i kid, wicka

I dont see how f1 isnt a little bit spec when 20 plus cars have the exact same engine configuration, and the biggest differentiating performance factors are the shape of cooling tubes we dont see and how many blades they glued to the front wing this week.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 25, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I dont see how f1 isnt a little bit spec when 20 plus cars have the exact same engine configuration, and the biggest differentiating factors are the shape of cooling tubes we dont see and how many blades they glued to the front wing this week.

what is your fascination with things that aren't true

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fairly confident that was posted to trigger you Wicks.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

literally the #1 complaint about F1 currently is that it's too much of an engine formula and mercedes' has too big of an engine advantage, yet you're going to claim it's practically a spec series?

learnincurve posted:

Fairly confident that was posted to trigger you Wicks.

where was your trigger warning????

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

My biggest complaint is about all the areo bits loving up any chance of good close racing without the use of DRS.

More mechanical grip is all I want.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have two weeks off so I don't have to deal with literal mental patients right now, the quality of my posting is going to go way up as a direct result of this.

Where is Hefe? He saved an innocent from being murdered this week and is the hero this thread needs.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

My biggest complaint is about all the areo bits loving up any chance of good close racing without the use of DRS.

More mechanical grip is all I want.

i've thought about this, and i think the problem is that you can't fully replace the loss of aerodynamic downforce purely with mechanical grip. in order to keep the cars as fast as they are, and probably faster (which is what the fans want), you'd need to increase the amount of downforce that can be generated through ground effect. and i don't think the FIA trusts they can regulate that well enough to prevent drivers from pulling bananas G forces again and dying.

E: but yes you are totally right, aero dependency is dumb and bad, and i think the racing has been pretty consistently better since we got rid of all the little winglets

wicka fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 25, 2016

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'd argue that F1 is far less spec than it once was. Once upon a time, 90% of cars had DFV's, and before that customer teams ran Lotus, Brabham, or Cooper chassis. Check some of the car counts in the 60's, lots of repetition.

George Zimmer fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 25, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I have two weeks off so I don't have to deal with literal mental patients right now, the quality of my posting is going to go way up as a direct result of this.

Where is Hefe? He saved an innocent from being murdered this week and is the hero this thread needs.

:allears:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Can you start a "wicka posts things about f1" thread so the rest of us dont have to have annoying "you put this user on ignore, click to see it" gaps in the thread?

i kid, wicka

I dont see how f1 isnt a little bit spec when 20 plus cars have the exact same engine configuration, and the biggest differentiating performance factors are the shape of cooling tubes we dont see and how many blades they glued to the front wing this week.

The very last time F1 cars didn't use the exact same engine configuration was the mid-90s. I guess 2006 would also count. Even in the eras where freedoms like that were allowed, engine mfrs generally gravitated towards one configuration.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They have generally gravitated towards the fastest configuration, isn't the point that with this latest hybrid generation of "power units" that Mercedes found the fastest because they were working on it for 2 years before anyone else and everyone else got it wrong and are now playing catch up? For example in 2014 Ferrari put the gearbox in the wrong way round for aero gain and then the coolant tank and turbo were in the wrong place so they could not turn it up full whack or it would overheat.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ferrari has a history of making strange engine design decisions.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Ferrari has a history of making strange engine design decisions.

amusingly, they used to do so because of enzo's philosophy that "aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." in 2014 they did the opposite and it was even more of a spectacular failure.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-and-red-bull-refused-to-accept-elimination-qualifying-compromise-682248/

quote:

This week therefore, teams on the Strategy Group and F1 Commission found themselves only able to vote on a revised format to elimination qualifying proposed by the FIA, where the new-style Q1 and Q2 would be extended, and Q3 would revert to how it was last year.

One theory as to why teams were only given this option to vote on was that it would effectively force their hands to accept it, as they would be highly unlikely to reject it and keep the Australian system that was so universally criticised.

However, if that was a motivation for not giving teams the option of going back to last year’s system, then it failed entirely because McLaren and Red Bull refused to support it and did not vote in favour.

Probably the correct decision, if we aren't going to revert to the old style then gently caress compromising. Although I fully expect we'll be running the modified format this weekend.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I met one of Hefe's brethren recently, a Venezuelan French Canadian. He didn't complain about toilet paper because they have lots of it in Canada, even French Canada.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
This week's free game on the Apple store is a game called Motorsport Manager which is exactly what F1 needed to do, imagine that game but with real drivers and tracks, hire some writers to give the drivers some top bantz between each other, make it with some funny cartoon graphics, add some RPG elements like relationships between managers and other drivers and fan engagement and it'd be a huge success and it'd attract new younger audiences.

Too bad F1 is stuck in the middle ages with Bernie.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
"Grand Prix Story" is the real Pro-Click. I think there is a free version.

E: Its in cute 16 bit japanese form, just like MWDC F.Alonso would want.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 25, 2016

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
All I want is a VR game where I can experience a full season through the eyes of Roscoe, is that too much to ask?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

MattD1zzl3 posted:

"Grand Prix Story" is the real Pro-Click. I think there is a free version.

E: Its in cute 16 bit japanese form, just like MWDC F.Alonso would want.

Grand Prix story is the best, I played the hell outta that.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
and it had anime lady drivers (and secretaries :heysexy:) along with stuff bernie would love like ice and dirt races. My Front wheel drive V10 roadster dropped me to force-india levels this season :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What race last year had the grid boys? I hope we get Seb bitching again about it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why do I have this information in my head? It was Brazil, new Mrs Bernie is Brazilian and it was her idea.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I played Project Cars with an Oculus Rift today. That was fun.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Bryter posted:

All I want is a VR game where I can experience a full season through the eyes of Roscoe, is that too much to ask?

I see someone knows about the Dan Harmon movie that takes place through the eyes of Michael Jackson's monkey.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

At least the monkey got to see good music being made.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Brainwrong posted:

I played Project Cars with an Oculus Rift today. That was fun.

Monaco/Lotus 49, so fun.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Fun fact: It has been 24 years since a Dallara has done as well as Haas did in austrailia. If they luck into a podium i think its the best dallara of all time.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Has Dallara had any real success when they weren't the sole manufacturer of a series?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

On the topic of F1 management games, this new game just got greenlit on Steam: http://raceteamsimulator.com/

They have a demo up with Barcelona playable. Pretty neat and the full game looks promising.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Started playing Motorsport Manager and in trying to change tyres to get to the end of the race without stopping again, ran across the problem of only two tyre choices. Hard - too slow. Soft - won't last. There is no medium.

I'm suggesting Ferrari play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Fun fact: It has been 24 years since a Dallara has done as well as Haas did in austrailia. If they luck into a podium i think its the best dallara of all time.

The '89 and '91 Dallaras got podiums as well.

• Locked thread