Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ChickenWing posted:

I think it's already palatable to people. I continue to hold the opinion that a majority of problems with the book are higher-ended literary ones, and to the public at large they're still an enjoyable read. Plus unless you use the narrator's voice extensively throughout, we're not going to get any "sharp stone in swift water" metaphors.

Nearly the entirety of the second book isn't a high-end literary problem, it's a "the first book sold well so we're not even going to pretend to edit your poo poo" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ChickenWing posted:

I think it's already palatable to people. I continue to hold the opinion that a majority of problems with the book are higher-ended literary ones, and to the public at large they're still an enjoyable read. Plus unless you use the narrator's voice extensively throughout, we're not going to get any "sharp stone in swift water" metaphors.

That's what I was thinking. Like, because it's television, you won't have the weird, half-baked metaphors, and the lack of flowery language can make it sort of a straight-up magic action show. At the same time, though, without the political intrigue and brutality and sex that happens in GoT, can it really stand as a straight-up magic action show?

mallamp posted:

I think it will be worse, the cliche plot elements will be more apparent without all the fat that surrounds them. Only chance it could be good was if it got GoT level budget indeed and awesome sets would distract people instead of prose/filler.

The rights are with Lionsgate right now, apparently, so who knows how much money will get thrown at it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I see a lot of ways the TV show could be pretty good. I also see a lot of ways it could go off the rails. It's basically going to come down to how much power the producers have over Rothfuss and how large a knife they can take to the source material.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

I haven't described a single high-ended literary problem in my read-through.

e: Like the book being classist is not a high-ended literary problem, neither is the story being about nothing, and neither is it being decidedly non-fantastical for fantasy, etc.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 18, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think the TV show will have a tone problem. Reading about a child in a novel targeted at adults is different than watching a TV show about a child. Especially one where there isn't a gruff adult to play off of (like The Hound in GoTs)

If they go full legend of the seeker I will love every episode. That show was unintentionally amazing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Benson Cunningham posted:

I think the TV show will have a tone problem. Reading about a child in a novel targeted at adults is different than watching a TV show about a child. Especially one where there isn't a gruff adult to play off of (like The Hound in GoTs)

If they go full legend of the seeker I will love every episode. That show was unintentionally amazing.

They'll probably age Kvothe up a bit for the show, much like they had to age everyone up for the Ender's Game movie.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It's a modern fantasy tv series, something like 'physical age' will be pretty irrelevant. All characters will be be played by embarassed models who are 23-30 but look like 19-year-old roleplayers in their badly fitting costumes

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

jivjov posted:

They'll probably age Kvothe up a bit for the show, much like they had to age everyone up for the Ender's Game movie.

There has to be a better example of this than Ender's Game, because that wasn't a good movie.

mallamp posted:

It's a modern fantasy tv series, something like 'physical age' will be pretty irrelevant. All characters will be be played by embarassed models who are 23-30 but look like 19-year-old roleplayers in their badly fitting costumes

I mean, Kvothe is supposed to be 15 by the time he's in University, right? And he's the youngest person there, IIRC. It can't be too hard to find a decent-enough ~15 year old to play him, and then exactly what you describe for basically everybody else.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Thanks to 90's/00's trend the depressed/crazy ex-child actor quota is pretty full atm though, not sure if they want to breed more
Jack Gleeson was disappointing though, I think everyone expected something way edgier than theology from such twisted looking bro and now that he didn't even become a shady priest or suicidal academic, I guess we could use another

mallamp fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 18, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I feel like Lies of Locke Lamora would have been a ridiculously good show on HBO.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpacePig posted:

There has to be a better example of this than Ender's Game, because that wasn't a good movie.

That was the first thing I could think of that had to radically change the age of a character, because there's no way you're getting 5-8 year olds to act in Ender's Game.

Then again, that movie did have to age up pretty much everyone.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Unless whoever's in charge of adapting it really takes charge and changes a bunch of poo poo, a TV show version is probably just gonna highlight the flaws in the story because there's less poo poo to distract you from how little is happening at any given time

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If they actually make a TV-show out of this, it's going to be boring as gently caress.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Has anyone seen the TV version of The Magicians? It.... is really, really bad. It's such a morass I don't know how to begin explaining it. Basically the only thing it shares with the source material is the starting setup and the character's names.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

jivjov posted:

That was the first thing I could think of that had to radically change the age of a character, because there's no way you're getting 5-8 year olds to act in Ender's Game.

Then again, that movie did have to age up pretty much everyone.

I know you're not gonna get a real-rear end six year old to perform a dramatic role in a major motion picture, and also have them perform it well. At the same time, though, his age plays a pretty big role in the story. Having as big a gap between the ages in Ender's Game was off-putting. A sixteen year old wouldn't typically react the same way to things like missing his family and fighting a bully as a six year old would. By extension, the scenes end up playing differently.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Game of Thrones did this for a few characters, as far as I know, and everything still works incredibly well. I'm just saying that some adjustment beyond just their ages needs to be done.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Unless whoever's in charge of adapting it really takes charge and changes a bunch of poo poo, a TV show version is probably just gonna highlight the flaws in the story because there's less poo poo to distract you from how little is happening at any given time

With all of the Supernatural and Teen Wolf style stuff on TV right now, I wouldn't be surprised if it was still pretty successful despite this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Flattened Spoon posted:

I'm looking forward to a Legend-of-the-Seeker kind of redux myself.

This seems more likely than an HBO GoT-level show.

SpacePig posted:

I mean, Kvothe is supposed to be 15 by the time he's in University, right? And he's the youngest person there, IIRC. It can't be too hard to find a decent-enough ~15 year old to play him, and then exactly what you describe for basically everybody else.

They aged up everyone in GoT because I think even HBO might've had issues with a bunch of sex scenes involving minors, like a 14yr old Dany.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

They aged up everyone in GoT because I think even HBO might've had issues with a bunch of sex scenes involving minors, like a 14yr old Dany.

Them being older would have been better in the books too.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

There simply isn't enough meat left in either the story/plot or the setting divorced from the hackneyed prose to make a decent series without making it a dramatic departure from the source material, IMO.

Locke Lamora would be amazing though.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Has anyone seen the TV version of The Magicians? It.... is really, really bad. It's such a morass I don't know how to begin explaining it. Basically the only thing it shares with the source material is the starting setup and the character's names.

Now that is unfair. They made sure to include fox loving from the source material.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dienes posted:

Now that is unfair. They made sure to include fox loving from the source material.

I really don't remember anything about that book other then people with magic do hosed up things and live lives completely 100% divorced from what normal people do and also other magic people.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

I feel like Lies of Locke Lamora would have been a ridiculously good show on HBO.
I have always felt that the parallel timelines that meet up halfway through the first book would come across much better on the small screen.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

TV is better for all entertainment, books only have upperhand when writing art prose, BUT the problem with fantasy is that you need big budget or it's just embarassing. There's solution (animation), but it's shunned (unjustly, it's not Shakespeare, you don't need real actors). I'd live to see Camorr on screen.. Name of Wind has more generic world, it's easier to adapt at least

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I guess TV is better for entertainment if your imagination is poo poo. I feel like they both have Pros and Cons.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
When is Doors of Stone coming out?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Hey Teapot, have you read The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham?

I ask because it's the best fantasy series I've read since I was 15 (21 years ago), it's 5 books, and it's done. This guy churns out books like Brandon Sanderson, but he's not a Mormon, so... You know. They're human.

Somehow, it's not airport fiction though. The characters are real, and the books are about something. I'm curious if you think they're about the same things I do.

I can't follow your critiques of Rothfuss. It just seems like you're just making up random points about things I don't care about that aren't important at that point in the story with extended quotes that don't support your theses. I think Kingkiller is good; and patient, cut-flower sound is a good metaphor. Consider the gauntlet thrown. Tell me The Dagger and the Coin is bad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm calling you out, Teapot: tell me why Barry Sadler's Casca books are poo poo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Still waiting for Teapot's answer.

LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 16: “I started the ponderous conversion between currencies, then smiled as I realized it was unnecessary.”

Thirty-five chapters later, we’re well into The Name of the Wind. There’s been a lot of adventure and anecdote, but none it has been substantial or satisfying. This is because Rothfuss never makes the episodes of the narrative satisfying stories on their own. They’re events that occupy the pages until something else happens. Kvothe learns from Ben until Ben leaves abruptly. He’s part of a troupe of entertainers until they’re murdered. He lives a near-feral life on the streets until he hears a story that brings him back to normal. He cons his way into respectability to invalidate the last ten or so chapters. He travels with Denna until they also depart. Now he’s about to enter Hogwarts.

The equivalent point in Baudolino is the sixth chapter, when Baudolino enters the University of Paris at the age of sixteen. At this point Baudolino and his story have been established quite well: he is the world’s greatest fantasist. The equivalent point in Mika Waltari’s The Egyptian is the end of Book 4, where Sinuhe is leaving Egypt and the ruins of his life behind to go to self-imposed exile. the story is stuffed with adventure and anecdote. For example, Sinuhe is introduced to the royal court, and by accident has to take care of the divinely mad heir to the throne. This is one chapter (in an abridged edition, granted). Sinuhe discovering that religions are false, learning surgery, losing his property and family to vanity and lust, committing social suicide just to afford his parent’s burial, and defiling the Valley of Kings are just a handful of episodes early on in the book. It’s amazing how the story can tell so much without ever feeling rushed or burdened. This is not even mentioning Waltari’s fascinating portrayal of Ancient Egypt. Rothfuss’s story is utterly uneventful in comparison.

In Chapter 36, “Less Talents,” Kvothe sleeps rough outside his destination, Imre. I’ve talked earlier about how prosaic Rothfuss’ fantasy world is. His description of a magical school and the city surrounding it are telling:

quote:

As I walked, I watched the horizon for the largest building in the University. From Ben’s descriptions I knew what it would look like: featureless, grey, and square as a block. Larger than four granaries stacked together. No windows, no decorations, and only one set of great stone doors. Ten times ten thousand books. The Archives.

[...]

When the road crossed the Omethi River, there was an old stone bridge. I don’t doubt that you know the type. It was one of those ancient, mammoth pieces of architecture scattered throughout the world, so old and solidly built that they have become part of the landscape, not a soul wondering who built them, or why. This one was particularly impressive, over two hundred feet long and wide enough for two wagons to pass each other, it stretched over the canyon the Omethi had carved into the rock. When I reached the crest of the bridge I saw the Archives for the first time in my life, rising like some great greystone over the trees to the west.

---

The University lay at the heart of a small city. Though truthfully, I hesitate to call it a city at all. It was nothing like Tarbean with its twisting alleys and garbage smell. It was more of a town, with wide roads and clean air. Lawns and gardens were spaced between small houses and shops.

But since this town had grown up to serve the peculiar needs of the University, a careful observer could note small differences in the services the town provided. For instance, there were two glassblowers, three fully stocked apothecaries, two binderies, four booksellers, two brothels, and a truly disproportionate number of taverns. One of them had a large wooden sign nailed to its door proclaiming, NO SYMPATHY! I wondered what non-arcane visitors might think of the warning.

The University itself consisted of about fifteen buildings that bore little resemblance to each other. Mews had a circular central hub with eight wings radiating in each direction so it looked like a compass rose. Hollows was simple and square, with stained glass windows showing Teccam in a classic pose: standing barefoot in the mouth of his cave, speaking to a group of students. Mains was the most distinctive building of the lot: it covered nearly an acre and a half and looked like it had been cobbled together from a number of smaller, mismatched buildings.

Now this is all perfectly serviceable, but it’s just that – serviceable. Rothfuss’s choice of word is strangely dull when we’ve dealt with silences as deep and wide as autumn’s ending and gossamer spun from a lute. Like I’ve said, he keeps switching between influences like The Last Unicorn and Dungeons & Dragons. The image conveyed is of stone monuments and of a bourgeois town. But nothing is described as truly monumental, and the town is lifeless. Rothfuss successfully conveys a prosaic scene.

Kvothe goes into the Archives, where he’s informed that entry is limited to students. He rushes in to the examinations, which are still being held. The examination involves being questioned by the university masters, and after some time it’s Kvothe’s turn.

quote:

Two hours later I was in Hollows, fighting down a sour stomach and climbing up onto the stage of an empty theater. The room was dark except for the wide circle of light that held the masters’ table. I walked to stand at the edge of the light and waited. Slowly the nine masters stopped talking among themselves and turned to look at me.

They sat at a huge, crescent-shaped table. It was raised, so even seated they were looking down on me. They were serious-looking men, ranging in age from mature to ancient.

There was a long moment of silence before the man sitting at the center of the crescent motioned me forward. I guessed he was the Chancellor. “Come up where we can see you. That’s right. Hello. Now, what’s your name, boy?”

“Kvothe, sir.”

“And why are you here?”

I looked him in the eye. “I want to attend the University. I want to be an arcanist.” I looked around at each of them. Some seemed amused. None looked particularly surprised.

Kvothe is asked for qualifications, and he claims the book he pawned in Tarbean as his letter of recommendation. The masters allow for this, since it can be retrieved, except for the evil one who hates Kvothe.

quote:

The Chancellor gave a small nod. “Thank you, Master Lorren.” He settled himself back into his chair and folded his hands in front of himself. “Very well, then. What would Abenthy’s letter tell us, if he had written it?”

I took a good breath. “He would say that I knew by heart the first ninety sympathetic bindings. That I could double-distill, perform titration, calcify, sublimate, and precipitate solution. That I am well versed in history, argument, grammars, medicine, and geometry.”

The Chancellor did his best to not look amused. “That’s quite a list. Are you sure you didn’t leave anything out?”

I paused. “He probably would have also mentioned my age, sir.”

“How old are you, boy?”

“Kvothe, sir.”

A smile tugged at the Chancellor’s face. “Kvothe.”

“Fifteen, sir.” There was a rustle as the masters each took some small action, exchanged glances, raised eyebrows, shook their heads. Hemme rolled his eyes skyward.

Kvothe is then questioned, and impresses the masters with various bits of trivia and world-building factoids. He is actually cheating:

quote:

The speed and accuracy of my answers impressed them. Some of them hid it, others wore it openly on their faces. The truth was, I needed to impress them. I knew from my previous discussions with Ben that you needed money or brains to get into the University. The more of one you had, the less of the other you needed.

So I was cheating. I had snuck into Hollows through a back entrance, acting the part of an errand boy. Then I’d picked two locks and spent more than an hour watching other students’ interviews. I heard hundreds of questions and thousands of answers.

I also heard how high the other students’ tuitions were set. The lowest had been four talents and six jots, but most were double that. One student had been charged over thirty talents for his tuition. It would be easier for me to get a piece of the moon than that much money.

The problem with this ties into what I discussed above. Rothfuss never really makes these episodes of the story satisfying. The above part would either work as set-up, or as a twist to the story. But here it is wasted. Kvothe sneaking into observe the proceedings would be a good set-up. Kvothe pulling out the rug under the reader by bitterly revealing that he cheated could be terrific. But here it’s add nothing, except to circumvent the last twenty or so chapters being mostly irrelevant to the story. And there’s nothing to differentiate from Kvothe is drawing on his knowledge and him cheating. So it’s just another signifier of Kvothe’s boring exceptionalism.

The sequence in general is a rather dull stream of trivia and passing characterisation. We’re introduced to the next eccentric mentor, and also the antagonistic teacher, who is really just Severus Snape without the sympathetic side. That’s the only interesting thing about Hemme: that this intricately constructed and subversively original fantasy epic has a prominent villain who’s a shallow version of Severus Snape, a children’s book character.

This incidentally also applies to the Draco Malfoy equivalent. They’re functionally the same, just nastier and without depth. How do you write shallow versions of children’s book characters?

quote:

One of the things I’d learned during my hour of quiet observation was this: Master Hemme was the king-high bastard of the lot. He took delight in student’s discomfort and did everything he could to badger and unsettle them. He had a fondness for trick questions.

Luckily, this was one I had watched him use on other students. You see, you can’t reduce white sulfur with mercury. “Well,” I drew the word out, pretending to think it through. Hemme’s smug smile grew wider by the second. “Assuming you mean red sulfur, it would be about forty-one ounces. Sir.” I smiled a sharp smile at him. All teeth.

“Name the nine prime fallacies,” he snapped.

The eccentric teacher mixes things up with odd questions and general cheekiness:

quote:

“I too would ask some questions,” the man to the Chancellor’s right said. He had an accent that I couldn’t quite place. Or perhaps it was that his voice held a certain resonance. When he spoke, everyone at the desk stirred slightly, then grew still, like leaves touched by the wind.

“Master Namer,” the Chancellor said with equal parts deference and trepidation.

Elodin was younger than the others by at least a dozen years. Clean-shaven with deep eyes. Medium height, medium build, there was nothing particularly striking about him, except for the way he sat at the table, one moment watching something intently, the next minute bored and letting his attention wander among the high beams of the ceiling above. He was almost like a child who had been forced to sit down with adults.

I felt Master Elodin look at me. Actually felt it, I suppressed a shiver. "Soheketh ka Siaru krema’teth tu?" he asked. How well do you speak Siaru?

"Rieusa, ta krelar deala tu.” Not very well, thank you.

He lifted a hand, his index finger pointing upward. “How many fingers am I holding up?”

I paused for a moment, which was more consideration than the question seemed to warrant. “At least one,” I said. “Probably no more than six.”

He broke into a broad smile and brought his other hand up from underneath the table, it had two fingers upright. He waved them back and forth for the other masters to see, nodding his head from side to side in an absent, childish way. Then he lowered his hands to the table in front of him, and grew suddenly serious. “Do you know the seven words that will make a woman love you?”

I looked at him, trying to decide if there was more to the question. When nothing more was forthcoming, I answered simply, “No.”

The interview is complete. Kvothe makes a point of hiding why he’s come to the University. And he has to get around tuition, being as he is penniless.

quote:

“I have a favor to ask beyond mere admission.” I took a deep breath, letting their attention settle on me. “It has taken me nearly three years to get here. I may seem young, but I belong here as much, if not more, than some rich lordling who can’t tell salt from cyanide by tasting it.”

I paused. “However, at this moment I have two jots in my purse and nowhere in the world to get more than that. I have nothing worth selling that I haven’t already sold.

“Admit me for more than two jots and I will not be able to attend. Admit me for less and I will be here every day, while every night I will do what it takes to stay alive while I study here. I will sleep in alleys and stables, wash dishes for kitchen scraps, beg pennies to buy pens. I will do whatever it takes.” I said the last words fiercely, almost snarling them.

“But admit me free, and give me three talents so I can live and buy what I need to learn properly, and I will be a student the likes of which you have never seen before.”

There was a half-breath of silence, followed by a thunderclap of a laugh from Kilvin. “HA!” he roared. “If one student in ten had half his fire I’d teach with a whip and chair instead of chalk and slate.” He brought his hand down hard on the table in front of him.

This would be entertaining if Kvothe were in the role of a roguish anti-hero, but this is actually framed as a matter of entitlement rather than ambition or whatnot. The mention of aristocrats is relevant, because when Rothfuss makes an assay at class satire, it’s usually in the form of a snide comment about nobility. But Kvothe has been established as coming from a privileged liberal background, and now he's a “temporarily embarrassed millionaire”. Aristocrats are in a way perfect targets, because it allows for Kvothe’s entitlement to be framed as class warfare. Kvothe belongs in the University, and the quest for the Chandrian is almost a side-note to this.

The tuition is also the start of a dull and too long storyline about Kvothe’s fiscal insecurity, which will no doubt the source of much entitled whinging to come. The masters agree to Kvothe’s proposal, but he misinterprets their answer as denial due to ambiguous wording. Talents are too valuable to be carried around for Kvothe to steal. While he’s stunned, one of the masters approaches him with a note and a question about his father’s name:

quote:

“Did you say your father’s name was Arliden?”

He asked it very calmly, with no hint of regret or apology in his voice. It suddenly made me very angry, that he should stifle my ambitions of getting into the University then come over and ask about my dead father as easy as saying good morning.

“Yes.” I said tightly.

“Arliden the bard?”

[...] I didn’t deign to reply, merely nodded once, sharply.

If he thought my response terse he didn’t show it. “I was wondering which troupe he performed in.”

My thin restraint burst. “Oh, you were wondering,” I said with every bit of venom my troupe-sharpened tongue could muster. “Well maybe you can wonder a while longer. I’m stuck in ignorance now. I think you can abide a while with a little piece of it yourself. When I come back after earning my three talents, maybe then you can ask me again.” I gave him a fierce look, as if hoping to burn him with my eyes.

His reaction was minimal, it wasn’t until later that I found getting any reaction from Master Lorren was about as likely as seeing a stone pillar wink.

He looked vaguely puzzled at first, then slightly taken aback, then, as I glared up at him, he gave a faint, thin smile and mutely handed me a piece of paper.

I unfolded and read it. It read: “Kvothe. Spring term. Tuition: -3. Tln.” Less three talents. Of course.

Relief flooded me. As if it were a great wave that swept my legs from beneath me, I sat suddenly on the floor and wept.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 25, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Not as much of a vivisection as your previous posts. I guess this chapter was a little better on the whole?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

Not as much of a vivisection as your previous posts. I guess this chapter was a little better on the whole?

quote:

He made a hmmmpfh noise and looked surprised.

e: Like this isn't me being surprised. Rothfuss couldn't be bothered to write that a man harrumphed or grunted etc.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 25, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, something I forgot to mention: Kvothe is capable of magic, and this has not been mentioned for twenty chapters before now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The next half of the book is where I realized I was tuning out entire pages as I was reading them the first time. I had tried reading Harry Potter, but never got into it and this just seemed like Harry Potter with a tiny bit of sexuality/violence thrown into it. Not to mention a sniveling little poo poo of a protagonist instead of a kid filled with wonder at discovering magic knowledge for the first time. But the worst thing of all, the absolute worst for me, is that the Chandrian get almost no background or information except for a couple of paragraphs like 30 chapters in the future.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 25, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

The next half of the book is where I realized I was tuning out entire pages as I was reading them the first time. I had tried reading Harry Potter, but never got into it and this just seemed like Harry Potter with a tiny bit of sexuality/violence thrown into it. Not to mention a sniveling little poo poo of a protagonist instead of a kid filled with wonder at discovering magic knowledge for the first time. But the worst thing of all, the absolute worst for me, is that the Chandrian get almost no background or information except for a couple of paragraphs like 30 chapters in the future.

Please don't insult harry potter like that.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

The first four Harry Potter books are remarkable.

The teen angst Harry Potter books hurt to read. Not saying their bad, but drat man, HP needs to balance dem hormones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Finished up my re-read of TNotW and WMF last night. I still enjoy them and make no apologies for enjoying them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Solice Kirsk posted:

But the worst thing of all, the absolute worst for me, is that the Chandrian get almost no background or information except for a couple of paragraphs like 30 chapters in the future.

I agree with this. The Chandrian are such an afterthought, especially after the first book. I really thought they were going to be more of a present force as things went on, and that we'd learn more about them by the second book. But we still only know legends at this point, and those are functionally nothing.

jivjov posted:

Finished up my re-read of TNotW and WMF last night. I still enjoy them and make no apologies for enjoying them.

You don't need to. Chase your bliss and whatnot.

Don't let this start an argument again.

e: I'm not saying that you're necessarily the one that starts them. I'm just sort of imploring the thread not to devour itself again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpacePig posted:

I agree with this. The Chandrian are such an afterthought, especially after the first book. I really thought they were going to be more of a present force as things went on, and that we'd learn more about them by the second book. But we still only know legends at this point, and those are functionally nothing.

Yeah; I wish the "infodump" from the Cthaeh had somehow happened in Name of the Wind instead of delayed to WMF. Rothfuss does a decent enough job of having Kvothe inquire after the Chandrian and the Amyr everywhere he goes...but the complete lack of information he gets in return is rough.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's the closest WMF gets to anything like overarching plot.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

Retards don't need to apologize for their disability.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

anilEhilated posted:

Well, it's the closest WMF gets to anything like overarching plot.

That and the creepy obsession with Denna, which almost entirely replaces the Chandrian as a character motivation.

CerealCrunch posted:

Come on now. No need for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

Are ableist slurs really necessary?

• Locked thread