Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

THC posted:

Please just Pastebin that poo poo, Wente doesn't deserve pageviews

This piece was spot-on and should be read. Broken clock or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Why can't they just convict people based on feelings?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaUkt59vY1Q

Paedofinder General posted:

By the powers invested in me by news international, I pronounce you guilty of Paedophilia!
Under the basic principals of English law, every man is innocent, until speculated guilty.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

flakeloaf posted:

It's not that she couldn't remember. If she'd said "I don't remember" that would've been perfectly fine. Instead, she said "I am certain that do remember [a thing that could not possibly have been true]", which justifiably raises credibility issues.

hmm yes because remembering a car and being sexually assaulted are very similar

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

flakeloaf posted:

I agree, there wasn't really anything objectionable in it and it's a reasonable breakdown.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

RBC posted:

When the person testified in great detail about the car and cited it as a major reason she thought the person was a safe date it's important.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

RBC posted:

Because not remembering the truth and telling three different, contradictory versions of it are very not similar. One makes you a credible witness whose word is good enough to take away someone's civil liberties and one is not.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Because not remembering the truth and telling three different, contradictory versions of it are very not similar. One makes you a credible witness whose word is good enough to take away someone's civil liberties and one is not.

So you think she made it up then?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Let's not dance around this. When you say someone is not credible you are accusing them of lying and fabricating evidence. The judge did everything he could not to say that explicitly. Although that might fly in a courtroom, this isn't a courtroom, you idiots.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

RBC posted:

Let's not dance around this. When you say someone is not credible you are accusing them of lying and fabricating evidence. The judge did everything he could not to say that explicitly. Although that might fly in a courtroom, this isn't a courtroom, you idiots.

It introduces reasonable doubt.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Whatever it is that's so important for me to hear, I'd rather hear it from someone who isn't Wente

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^^I knew what you meant :). And that's fair, I'd have the same reaction if it were Levant. It's nothing we haven't been saying here.

RBC posted:

Let's not dance around this. When you say someone is not credible you are accusing them of lying and fabricating evidence. The judge did everything he could not to say that explicitly.

No, actually, that's not what I'm saying at all. The judge couldn't convict because the inconsistencies in their testimony made them unreliable witnesses. They told the truth, but they also lied and said that was the truth too. More than once. What the truth actually IS stopped mattering at that point because once they've been shown to be liars about something on the stand, there is reasonable doubt about anything they've said on the stand. He's not allowed to believe them beyond a reasonable doubt.

He did it. They had him, and instead of simply telling the truth about what they did or didn't know, they made a bunch of poo poo up, they colluded to perfect testimony about things they demonstrably could not have known, and when that was exposed the crown had nothing. It's not their fault he sexually assaulted him, but it is definitely their fault they lied under oath. Whatever falls from that stupid tree...

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 25, 2016

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

It's fully within the judge's power to assess credibility based on the relevance of the inconsistencies eg. many things he decided were important, another judge could easily think were not. This isn't some scientific, bulletproof process that does not "allow" the judge to assess what is relevant and what isn't. You need to stop treating the court system and the people that run it as infalliable gods. They're people and they have biases just like everyone else. The judge's bias is clear in the judgement.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, I think the most obvious bias here is the judge's bias.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao at you idiots defending these loving skanks

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I knew it

CI was Ghomeshi all along

It would certainly explain the whole "literal piece of human garbage" thing pretty well

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MA-Horus posted:

I knew it

It would certainly explain the whole "literal piece of human garbage" thing pretty well

Got to admit the ethnic han thing threw me off it for a bit.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

I knew it

Nah, Ghomeshi was at least entertaining.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Cultural Imperial is good.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

apatheticman posted:

Got to admit the ethnic han thing threw me off it for a bit.
Its OK I'm ethnic Persian.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hal_2005 posted:

Over 60% of education dollars go to Administration or Tenure, very little of the NSRC budget actually goes to R&D. Over half of this budget went towards 3 major liberal lobby firm's, of which the municipal and federal universities were the biggest donors behind Bombardier & SNC last election. Isn't it surreal how similar Liberal cronyism mirrors Chicago style politics?

Hey Hal are you ever going to pedal back and defend this drive-by shitpost or is your Markov chain broken?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's sort of blowing my mind how many people on my facebook are calling for Ghomeshi's head, like some sort of online 19th Century mob

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

eXXon posted:

Hey Hal are you ever going to pedal back and defend this drive-by shitpost or is your Markov chain broken?

You know he just bails when backed into a corner right? This call out is futile.

Of all the poo poo posters in this thread he is unequivocally the worst, because he's poo poo posting in sincerity.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Professor Shark posted:

It's sort of blowing my mind how many people on my facebook are calling for Ghomeshi's head, like some sort of online 19th Century mob

And the incorrect version of the judge's quote about stereotypes is of course still doing the rounds.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I put a yearly repeating event in my calendar for March 25 a little over 5 years ago so that I wouldn't forget to celebrate. Happy 'Ignatieff destroys the Liberal Party day' everybody.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
He couldn't even destroy the liberal party properly

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

He couldn't even destroy the liberal party properly

Sometimes you post something beautiful.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Entropic posted:

And the incorrect version of the judge's quote about stereotypes is of course still doing the rounds.

I haven't come across the misquote, just lots of general anger that he wasn't charged. I'm staying silent, there seems to be a lot of anger and emotions riding high.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lmao

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

fraser institute.jpg

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

This actually has serious implications for the average Canadian who plans on winning the lottery tonight.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Whiskey Sours posted:

This actually has serious implications for the average Canadian who plans on winning the lottery tonight.

I'm glad they made sure to break it down in $50k ticks, in case I only earn $650k next year instead of $700k, that way I can tell exactly how much more I'd pay if I forgot to hire an accountant

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

You just know that the guy making that stood back and patted himself on the back for making it clear just how awful tax is. My takeaway is that maybe we should get rid of tax brackets and switch to an exponential formula because that graph looks awfully flat when we extend it out that far.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Professor Shark posted:

I'm staying silent, there seems to be a lot of anger and emotions riding high.

Same. I have one friend decrying the presence of white men in the legal system presiding over cases. This same friend is a white male.

And yeah, the bizarre confusion people seem to have over what acquital means and wanting an entirely seperate legal standard for sexual assault cases (which basically boils down to "complaint = conviction" is really lovely and upsetting. The legal system is supposed to protect innocent people from false convictions, but sometimes that means actual offenders fall through as well. These people are upset now, but if they were able to dodge charges through reasonable doubt, they'll be glad for that same feature.

I'm waiting for someone to assault Ghomeshi over this, then get caught, convicted, and jailed; the meltdown over that "unjust" conviction will be amazing.

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

That's an misleading characterization of what he wrote. The type of car played a central role in her testimony:

It's unjust to center the testimony on such a subject, since cars are obviously created by men.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Not high enough imo.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Same. I have one friend decrying the presence of white men in the legal system presiding over cases. This same friend is a white male.

And yeah, the bizarre confusion people seem to have over what acquital means and wanting an entirely seperate legal standard for sexual assault cases (which basically boils down to "complaint = conviction" is really lovely and upsetting. The legal system is supposed to protect innocent people from false convictions, but sometimes that means actual offenders fall through as well. These people are upset now, but if they were able to dodge charges through reasonable doubt, they'll be glad for that same feature.

I'm waiting for someone to assault Ghomeshi over this, then get caught, convicted, and jailed; the meltdown over that "unjust" conviction will be amazing.

Whoever takes a swing at him will be an instant folk hero from coast to coast. I bet he leaves the country ASAP.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It'll be a woman, and he'll need laryngeal surgery.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Whiskey Sours posted:

Not even, because lottery winnings aren't taxable in Canada.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I'm getting that "complaint=conviction" vibe, which isn't to say Ghomeshi is innocent, but things went about as bad as they could in the attempt to convict him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Every angry social media article begins with the assumption that Gomeshi is guilty and the complainants were assaulted and being wholly truthful and that the acquittal was a rejection of the complainants' allegations.

Judge was simply not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt. Their testimony was a joke and they sunk their own case by loving around.