Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe making yourself into an android is difficult. Like scratching your own back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Andrast posted:

Maybe making yourself into an android is difficult. Like scratching your own back.

The easy part was getting the brain out. The hard part was getting the brain out.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gero would've been invincible if he covered the entire surface of his body with energy absorbers instead of just the palms of his hands.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Gruckles posted:

Gero would've been invincible if he covered the entire surface of his body with energy absorbers instead of just the palms of his hands.

He'd just be one giant red circle. Here's my artist's rendering:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gruckles posted:

I always assumed those things were made of like some sort of glass-like substance.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gruckles posted:

Couldn't he still be punched to death?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
We saw what happen when 19 grabbed vegeta.

He just ripped his arms off.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I thought the Absorber androids were just weaker than the Infinite Power androids because instead of generating energy for themselves they were supposed to absorb it and so their power reserves were lower?

Like theoretically 19 could have kicked Vegeta's rear end but he was smart enough to just rip the absorbers out and nullify that possibility. Gero is really bad at planning for things going wrong basically.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlrcxeQau1E

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

visceril posted:

And he made himself weaker because????
Not a little bit weaker waaaay weaker

I thought they were way stronger than him because they were living humans that he modified, rather than 100% inorganic robots like himself and 19. Inorganic except for the brain... which was never really explained.

Maybe Gero built 19, and then turned around and ordered 19 to take out his brain and build android 20 with it, which is why the design sucked.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure the way Gero made himself a robit was just through the super computer thing he had, which had a copy of his mind in it and worked on Cell while he was dead.

Also the reason why 18 and 17 were stronger than him is simple- they are super powerful, but they also can't get any stronger. No amount of training would make 18 any stronger than she is right now, for instance.

19 and 20, in theory, could become much more powerful by simply absorbing energy. They're also basically immune to energy attacks. So their base strength doesn't have to be as high.

Cell is the ultimate end of all of his research though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Burkion posted:

I'm pretty sure the way Gero made himself a robit was just through the super computer thing he had, which had a copy of his mind in it and worked on Cell while he was dead.

Also the reason why 18 and 17 were stronger than him is simple- they are super powerful, but they also can't get any stronger. No amount of training would make 18 any stronger than she is right now, for instance.

19 and 20, in theory, could become much more powerful by simply absorbing energy. They're also basically immune to energy attacks. So their base strength doesn't have to be as high.

Immune to energy attacks as long as they still have hands, you mean..

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

he put his brain in android 20. you can see it when his hat falls off

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

he put his brain in android 20. you can see it when his hat falls off

I know I said that.

I mean he digitally recreated his brain for his super computer.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
I wonder what Cell's limits are. We see that he's capable of getting stronger than his perfect form, quite easily in fact. Plus he's part Freeza. Too bad Super happened, I would have been on board for Resurrection of C.

Flippinlikebirds fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 26, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flippinlikebirds posted:

I wonder what Cell's limits are. We see that he's capable of getting stronger than his perfect form, quite easily in fact. Plus he's part Freeza. Too bad Super happened, I would have been on board for Resurrection of C.

In theory he could just keep blowing himself up to gain infinite power. Its lucky he only learned that fact moments before being completely disintegrated.

He is also part Saiyan, so be could become Super God Blue Golden Cell

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Can saiyans Zenkai forever, or do they eventually max out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Can saiyans Zenkai forever, or do they eventually max out?

There's nothing saying they can't do it forever but the biggest impact seemed to be before they went Super after while there isn't really a measurable upswing even after they get their asses kicked.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Buutenks notes that Gohan didn't get one after Dende healed him during their fight so there is a limit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rutibex posted:

In theory he could just keep blowing himself up to gain infinite power. Its lucky he only learned that fact moments before being completely disintegrated.

He is also part Saiyan, so be could become Super God Blue Golden Cell

Well he could have blown up his core if he did it again. It would be too risky.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

visceril posted:

And he made himself weaker because????
Not a little bit weaker waaaay weaker

They could absorb energy to the point where they would be stronger than even Cell, presumably. The problem was, nobody let him absorb their power, they were all hiding it so neither android got to showcase their full capabilities. 17 felt like that was a mistake because their energy model was already so powerful that absorbing energy would be too time-consuming.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Why didn't he just force the unlimited energy Androids into always shooting energy at the energy absorbers to get powerful? huh stupid rear end dr gero

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

Why didn't he just force the unlimited energy Androids into always shooting energy at the energy absorbers to get powerful? huh stupid rear end dr gero

Dr Gero, the genius that invented not only the unlimited power source, but also the infinite capacitor, can't think of any use for combining the two.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

Buutenks notes that Gohan didn't get one after Dende healed him during their fight so there is a limit.

What? When was this?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Burkion posted:

I think Toriyama said they could get stronger if they trained, since they're still human, just augmented humans.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Mr Interweb posted:

What? When was this?

I don't know how kosher it is to post links or full pages (even if it is Dragon Ball), so here's just the relevant panels:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess he could just not be hurt enough for it to kick in (you have to be on the brink of death to get the power up from what I remember), but really it's not important because zenkai is a mechanic that only works when it needs to

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that the most likely answer to why there was no power up there is 'Toriyama Forgot'.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Why was Vegeta just hanging out in his armour on that vacation cruise.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Cassa posted:

Why was Vegeta just hanging out in his armour on that vacation cruise.

He says it's Saiyan formal wear at some point.

Edit: I answered that question before watching the video. Holy poo poo

Agoat fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 26, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eopia posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that the most likely answer to why there was no power up there is 'Toriyama Forgot'.

It was always just a plot convenient powerup which gave an outmatched character another shot in a fight, in later arcs the Zenkai just changed forms into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and the Fusion techniques as well as used villainously by Cell to the same effect. Dragon Ball has always played fast and loose with these types of plot devices and it just isn't a deterministic setting where you can 'logically' abuse them for maximum power, the one time someone actually tried doing that it ended up with them being humiliatingly defeated and beaten to death, because rules scamming isn't a cool source of power.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Agoat posted:

He says it's Saiyan formal wear at some point.

Edit: I answered that question before watching the video. Holy poo poo

So they used to run around conquering worlds in tuxedos? That rather explains a lot.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

In It For The Tank posted:

I don't know how kosher it is to post links or full pages (even if it is Dragon Ball), so here's just the relevant panels:

Looks like Dende's healing is combined with clothes beam.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

his clothes were healed too

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

This seriously is just the regular intro which is all fantastic, spliced with almost all of the bad cuts in Episode 5? Low effort :(

Episode 5 was definitely the worst, got improved on the blu-ray release, but just using that one episode to go off of? There are plenty of bad animation scenes to use outside of that dead horse of a episode.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eopia posted:

Its the same reason Trunks and Goten were born without tails.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so he stopped bringing up zenkais because he couldn't think of how they worked with pants?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

This seriously is just the regular intro which is all fantastic, spliced with almost all of the bad cuts in Episode 5? Low effort :(

Episode 5 was definitely the worst, got improved on the blu-ray release, but just using that one episode to go off of? There are plenty of bad animation scenes to use outside of that dead horse of a episode.

check out the date, episode 6 hadn't even aired yet, ya' ding-dong

episode 5 was about the time people really started noticing how bad things had gotten

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It hasn't been that bad since so it's a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Babe Magnet posted:

check out the date, episode 6 hadn't even aired yet, ya' ding-dong

episode 5 was about the time people really started noticing how bad things had gotten

Consider me rightfully both dinged and donged. It is kind of a dead horse to bring up Episode 5's animation when it's already been fixed.

• Locked thread