Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Warcabbit posted:

THR10 update: Well, my 'sweet southern rock' LP-alike got _devoured_ by the noise gate, so I dug my Vox SSC-33 out.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/vox-ssc-33/13247

Works pretty nicely with it.

I was just playing my SSC-55 through my THR-10 yesterday. The amp really likes those vox pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hey. Have I got a present for you.
http://www.planetz.com/guitar/VOX%20HARNESS.zip
The wiring harness for our guitars. Guy specifically put it there for later use.

And yes, that means I could probably upgrade mine to a 55. Probably will one day.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Due to who knows what reason, my boss was surfing guitar websites. It's not sufficient that I've been teaching her how to play guitar using my own guitars and she's been learning as if it was the easiest thing in the world (I'm lefty; based on the fact that she plays violin normally, I thought she was right-handed), she apparently wants to play guitar more than once per night.

Then, this happened:

:) "Hey, Wark! Look!"
:confused: "What's up, boss?"

She shows me this page:
http://adirondackguitar.com/lefty/esp/16/SC607_7-String_Baritone.htm

:) "Wouldn't it be cool if you were to get that? It even has the same pickups as you have on two of your guitars""
:confused: "Well, yeah. But it says that it doesn't arrive until may"
:) "Well, I already reserved one! Is that okay with you?"

I think she's trying to bribe me with instruments so I remain part of her band beyond May? I honestly don't know anymore.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
At least she knows where to shop for lefties. I don't know any guitar store better than Adirondack for the sinister sorts.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
She's buying you guitars?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Wark Say posted:

I think she's trying to bribe me with instruments so I remain part of her band beyond May? I honestly don't know anymore.
can someone please tell me what the opposite of the Kanye West multi-platinum hit song "Gold Digger" is, I believe it may apply to this situation

also how are those Fishman pickups? I keep thinking about them for an SG

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
maybe he just touches the sides particularly well

I'm surprised something that sorta niche comes in left hand, more impressed really. Enjoy!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Professor Science posted:

can someone please tell me what the opposite of the Kanye West multi-platinum hit song "Gold Digger" is, I believe it may apply to this situation

just a gigolo

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrd14PxaUco

Geez, man. "I got a Woman", Ray Charles, of course.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Warcabbit posted:

At least she knows where to shop for lefties. I don't know any guitar store better than Adirondack for the sinister sorts.

Wasn't Xtreme Lefty guitars also pretty good? From the few times I visited that website, it appears that the dude is a Lefty sinister sort as well, so I'm guessing he gets a chunk of that market.

also how are those Fishman pickups? I keep thinking about them for an SG

The ones I have on my Hagström and Schecter ATX are loving badass. For the Schecter, my tech put a new control for the tone which allows me to use them with a push/pull. My Hagström already had a designated coil-tap, so she re-routed that switch to make the voice changes with that. It's like having a passive and an active pickup in one. 80% of the time, I'm not even using the OCD to get overdrive anymore.

unlawfulsoup posted:

She's buying you guitars?

She just reserved it for me. Also...

Warcabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrd14PxaUco

Geez, man. "I got a Woman", Ray Charles, of course.

I don't know why I found this funny, but it is.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 21, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Wark Say posted:

She just reserved it for me. Also...

So your boss is pushing you into buying guitars so she can learn/play more?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unlawfulsoup posted:

So your boss is pushing you into buying guitars so she can learn/play more?

My boss probably got the idea from my fiancée (she's also been teaching my boss how to alternate between pick and fingers) since she has a 36 inch scale 5-string bass that just sounds stupid deep at home. For this tour, I actually told her to just use her Fender Roscoe Beck, but she ended up buying a beat-up Spector we found like a week before the tour.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Warcabbit posted:

Hey. Have I got a present for you.
http://www.planetz.com/guitar/VOX%20HARNESS.zip
The wiring harness for our guitars. Guy specifically put it there for later use.

And yes, that means I could probably upgrade mine to a 55. Probably will one day.

Whoah, thats very cool. Thanks for posting that. It is amazing how poorly these guitars went over. I know Vox planned on selling the 55 for $1000 street. I got mine essentially new for $300. I mean its way too heavy and the weight balance is off, even on the singlecut, but I love the scale length/neck shape and the sounds I can get out of it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

uncle spero posted:

Whoah, thats very cool. Thanks for posting that. It is amazing how poorly these guitars went over. I know Vox planned on selling the 55 for $1000 street. I got mine essentially new for $300. I mean its way too heavy and the weight balance is off, even on the singlecut, but I love the scale length/neck shape and the sounds I can get out of it.
Those were nice guitars, but I got a series of them from MF with different neck twists, so I ended up just punting.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Came home today to this monstrosity waiting for my on the porch.

Randall RG13: More gain than any human could ever need.
Snagged it off of Reverb for 120 bucks.

I did not expect it to be that gigantic. Sounds pretty cool though. Currently running it through that splitter box into the "bassman" channel on my '68 Cutsom Deluxe Reverb .

It can be run as a pedal(but there is no pass through, that kinda sucks, it's always "on", but the A/B box fixes that), as a 1 watt head into a cab, or directly into a mixer...
Gonna try out the direct recording poo poo on it later, I'll post a poorly made clip of it.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 21, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt posted:

Came home today to this monstrosity waiting for my on the porch.

Randall RG13: More gain than any human could ever need.
Snagged it off of Reverb for 120 bucks.

I did not expect it to be that gigantic. Sounds pretty cool though. Currently running it through that splitter box into the "bassman" channel on my '68 Cutsom Deluxe Reverb .

It can be run as a pedal(but there is no pass through, that kinda sucks, it's always "on", but the A/B box fixes that), as a 1 watt head into a cab, or directly into a mixer...
Gonna try out the direct recording poo poo on it later, I'll post a poorly made clip of it.

Is this like the Traynor QuarterHorse? Because that ampedal was the bomb.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Dirt, that thing looks amazing and terrifying.

Here's my last new piece of gear for a little bit (hopefully not long): the tc electronic Corona Chorus.

I have to admit, when I read the manual I was quite astounded by the TonePrint features, but that's not why I wanted it. I wanted it because my Dad has an original tc electronic SCF and I remember how amazingly transparent it was. This pedal has that chorus mode. It passes the dry signal through without ever converting it to digital. I tested it out and it sounds absolutely gorgeous.
It also has a Tri-chorus mode which is kind of overkill for my little Yamaha, but I look forward to hearing it in stereo.

I'll let you check the manual online for the TonePrint info if you're not already familiar with it. It came bundled with two 6" braided right-angle patch cables and two 18.6' (yes, feet) instrument cables. Not too bad.

So far I am really happy with it. If you check the manual, check out the DIP-switches for the Buffered Bypass and Kill Dry modes.

I'm definitely looking at more tc electronics pedals.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
TC Electronics make the best tuners I have ever owned

http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune-2/

And

http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune-clip/

I really like their stuff, feels quality too

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
drat, man, don't encourage me!

I saw My Three Sons in Charlotte and the guitarist had something small and black on his headstock. I asked him after the show, "What's that little thing on your Suhr?"
He said, "It's a tuner. I have a million of 'em, they're like ten bucks."

Now I see the Polytune Clip and I'm, "Yep. Gotta get one of those." It might look a little goofy but I'm way past the point of caring about that. And I can leave my Boss tuner off my pedalboard (assuming I ever build one.)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 22, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

TC is rad as hell, I have three of their pedals on my board. The Flashback is awesome, the T2 verb is cool as gently caress, and the Ditto is just fun. I'd like to swap out my Korg Pitchblack for a TC Polytune at some point, and maybe pick up a Hypergravity.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
He probably had a Snark. SN-5, probably.
http://www.amazon.com/Snark-SN-5-Tuner-Guitar-Violin/dp/B004XNK7AI/

They're awesome and very cheap.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Schpyder posted:

TC is rad as hell, I have three of their pedals on my board. The Flashback is awesome, the T2 verb is cool as gently caress, and the Ditto is just fun. I'd like to swap out my Korg Pitchblack for a TC Polytune at some point, and maybe pick up a Hypergravity.

That's interesting -- I've found the sound out of every TC pedal I've ever tried to be immensely inorganic (in a not-good way), to the point where I can now hear it on all of their YouTube demos. They're sort of like low-budget-sounding versions of Styrmon pedals (and I kinda think THEY sound rear end too -- I don't think the BlueSky I've got on my board is going to last too much longer).

edit: something else about those pedals, and a LOT of newer pedals in general I've been noticing: I've not really discovered kinda weird, unintended settings on more modern pedals (at least the more common stuff I've experienced). Like, if it has a weird setting, that's because there's a setting on the pedal marked WEIRD and you turn a knob to it and now you sound like more or less like every other player using that setting, if that captures the meaning.

Avoiding multiquote: there's a bunch of new stuff on my pedalboard - which also is new, which I built more or less using the IKEA guide contained somewhere in these forums.

The Boss ES-8 is fantastic. The only thing it doesn't do which I wish it did would be to allow two different loops for the two different outputs... but then it'd be two loopers kinda, instead of one?

The Superego and the Korg Dynamic Echo are the only two old pedals. I love that Korg so much I bought a back-up for it. New pedals are the Morphine Dream, which is a modern take on the Roland AP-7 Jet Phaser, the BlueSky (ehh), the Holiest Grail which is great - was on the fence about it but it's definitely a keeper - the Effectrode TubeDrive which is very good, the Superdelay which I'm kinda ehh about too, and the MXR boost which is all kinds of useful.

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 22, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dr. Faustus posted:

drat, man, don't encourage me!

I saw My Three Sons in Charlotte and the guitarist had something small and black on his headstock. I asked him after the show, "What's that little thing on your Suhr?"
He said, "It's a tuner. I have a million of 'em, they're like ten bucks."

Now I see the Polytune Clip and I'm, "Yep. Gotta get one of those." It might look a little goofy but I'm way past the point of caring about that. And I can leave my Boss tuner off my pedalboard (assuming I ever build one.)

The clip tuner looks awesome in person and if you go to an open mic night people end up talking about it far more than Folky Bob's new Taylor acoustic which is :lol: in itself and worth the purchase price just for that

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

just got this tecsun am/fm/sw/mw/lw receiver - it is run into my computer via a scarlett 2i2 (buried under cables in the background) whereupon it goes through some nice delays and reverbs as I scroll through the frequencies

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What is even broadcast on sw/mw/lw?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I could only ever get French shipping forecasts and static/weird tones last time I tried. Good for ambiences I guess

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shortwave is a very rad thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

What is even broadcast on sw/mw/lw?

there are a bunch of stations broadcast all over the world on those bands ranging from news to music to religious ramblings, they are much more spread out than on say fm but in many cases you can pick them up from much further away.

however i will be using not just the stations but also just the different kinds of dead air/hisses/statics/interference/weird random poo poo you can find on shortwave sometimes - again its all going through a bunch of effects so its more of an ambient textural use rather than actually listening to any specific broadcast. i'm taking it on a tour in a few days so it'll also be interesting to see what I pick up in different regions

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Didn't expect to be back so soon, but my state income tax refund dropped yesterday and I was looking for a hardshell case for my new Talman when I decided pickups should come first.

I've had a week with my new Ibanez Talman TM302MTFB and I like the pickups in it a lot. But....

But.

After a week with it I am thrilled with everything but the pickups. Don't get me wrong, the pickups sound quite nice, especially the middle and neck sounds. The bridge is noisy and a little too fat with the gain up. I wanted something a little closer to vintage but it's time to be honest: I wanted Danny Gatton's pickup tones (the rest of his crazy rig notwithstanding).

I can't play like he did, I don't have gear like he had; but I just dropped an outrageous amount of money on a pair of JBE Gatton T-Type pickups. They cost 3/4 of the cost of the actual guitar. I bought them on reputation and reviews, but now that I've had a chance to check out a bunch of YouTube vids I am beyond stoked that they have shipped.

I don't have any weird wiring plans for them, but they are 4-conductor so if anyone knows any neat wiring tricks I'd be willing to change the three-way switch or put push/pull pots in there for fun. I've been reading up on the TDPRI forums and they don't ALL appear to be purists over there. I learned a lot.

I am aware there is some controversy over the sale of Barden's IP to a manufacturer. I don't see much evidence that the quality has changed since.

I am excited to install these ASAP. I'll let you know how they turn out. They seem to emphasize poor playing kinda like a P90 might.

These are the set I ordered: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/telecaster-pickups-humbucker/jbe-pickups-barden-danny-gatton-t-style-tele-pickup-set/h70739

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 26, 2016

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

Didn't expect to be back so soon, but my state income tax refund dropped yesterday.

I've had a week with my new Ibanez Talman TM302MTFB and I like the pickups in it a lot. But....

But.

After a week with it I am thrilled with everything but the pickups. Don't get me wrong, the pickups sound quite nice, especially the middle and neck sounds. The bridge is noisy and a little too fat with the gain up. I wanted something a little closer to vintage but it's time to be honest: I wanted Danny Gatton's pickup tones (the rest of his crazy rig notwithstanding).

I can't play like he did, I don't have gear like he had; but I just dropped an outrageous amount of money on a pair of JBE Gatton T-Type pickups. They cost 3/4 of the cost of the actual guitar. I bought them on reputation and reviews, but now that I've had a chance to check out a bunch of YouTube vids I am beyond stoked that they have shipped.

I don't have any weird wiring plans for them, but they are 4-conductor so if anyone knows any neat wiring tricks I'd be willing to change the three-way switch or put push/pull pots in there for fun. I've been reading up on the TDPRI forums and they're not ALL Elmer Fudds over there I guess. Some interesting video comparisons and lots of pickup talk.

I believe there is some controversy surrounding the sale of Barden's design and stuff to a factory, but it does not appear to to be the case that the quality has suffered. I'll be installing them ASAP next week and will report back. This is the set I ordered:

Didn't expect to be back so soon, but my state income tax refund dropped yesterday.

But.

I don't have any weird wiring plans for them, but they are 4-conductor so if anyone knows any neat wiring tricks I'd be willing to change the three-way switch or put push/pull pots in there for fun.

I've been reading up on the TDPRI forums and other reviews. I am aware that there have been concerns over Barden selling his IP to a manufacturing factory but the reviews don't seem to indicate any cut corners or loss of quality. I am planning to install them the day I get my hands on them next week.

This is the set I ordered: Didn't expect to be back so soon, but my state income tax refund dropped yesterday.

But.

I don't have any weird wiring plans for them, but they are 4-conductor so if anyone knows any neat wiring tricks I'd be willing to change the three-way switch or put push/pull pots in there for fun. I've been reading up on the TDPRI forums and they don't don't ALL appear to be purists over there.

I am aware there is some controversy over the sale of Barden's IP to a manufacturer. I don't see much evidence that the quality has changed since.

I am excited to install these ASAP. I'll let you know how they turn out. They seem to emphasize poor playing kinda like a P90 might.

These are the set I ordered: Didn't expect to be back so soon, but my state income tax refund dropped yesterday.

But.

I don't have any weird wiring plans for them, but they are 4-conductor so if anyone knows any neat wiring tricks I'd be willing to change the three-way switch or put push/pull pots in there for fun. I've been reading up on the TDPRI forums and they're not ALL Elmer Fudds over there I guess. Some interesting video comparisons and lots of pickup talk.

I believe there is some controversy surrounding the sale of Barden's design and stuff to a factory, but it does not appear to to be the case that the quality has suffered. I'll be installing them ASAP next week and will report back. This is the set I ordered:

But.

I don't have any weird wiring plans for them, but they are 4-conductor so if anyone knows any neat wiring tricks I'd be willing to change the three-way switch or put push/pull pots in there for fun.

I've been reading up on the TDPRI forums and other reviews. I am aware that there have been concerns over Barden selling his IP to a manufacturing factory but the reviews don't seem to indicate any cut corners or loss of quality. I am planning to install them the day I get my hands on them next week.

This is the set I ordered: Didn't expect to be back so soon, but my state income tax refund dropped yesterday.

But.

I don't have any weird wiring plans for them, but they are 4-conductor so if anyone knows any neat wiring tricks I'd be willing to change the three-way switch or put push/pull pots in there for fun. I've been reading up on the TDPRI forums and they don't don't ALL appear to be purists over there.

These are the set I ordered: Didn't expect to be back so soon, but my state income tax refund dropped yesterday.

But.

But.

But.

These are the set I ordered: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/telecaster-pickups-humbucker/jbe-pickups-barden-danny-gatton-t-style-tele-pickup-set/h70739

I'm just gonna quote this to make sure I haven't gone insane.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 26, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Dewgy posted:

I'm just gonna quote this to make sure I haven't gone insane.

Haha , I think it was a phone post gone to poo poo.

Cool Pickups though Faustus.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Man, you got to watch for those time warps. It's been nine weeks since you got that Talman, you've just been living the same one over and over again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
That Faustus post made me laugh holy poo poo why is it so funny

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I had to double check after it was quoted because at first I thought Faustus just lost it and went on a huge tirade.

Talmans are pretty cool though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

I had to double check after it was quoted because at first I thought Faustus just lost it and went on a huge tirade.

Talmans are pretty cool though.

I like Talmans as well, the look is cool.
I actually settled in to read all that because they interest me and then I just burst out laughing

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I drunk ordered my first Ibanez last night. Will post pics when it gets here. I want to think that Dr. Faustus and his never ending Ibanez fanboying is what drove me to it.

Should be interesting.

edit: Those Talmans look cool as poo poo. I love weird Telecasters.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 26, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dirt posted:

I drunk ordered my first Ibanez last night. Will post pics when it gets here. I want to think that Dr. Faustus and his never ending Ibanez fanboying is what drove me to it.

Should be interesting.

edit: Those Talmans look cool as poo poo. I love weird Telecasters.

I got an Ibanez bass not long ago and it is cool.
I felt the need to chip in with that.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

peter gabriel posted:

I got an Ibanez bass not long ago and it is cool.
I felt the need to chip in with that.
if the 7-string with Bare Knuckles wasn't $2k I would have bought it already. a ridiculous Ibanez metal guitar is the last guitar I need.

(yeah I have the Tosin signature eight string shut up)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can't shake the gas for a RG652 in blue or koa. Those are perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

if the 7-string with Bare Knuckles wasn't $2k I would have bought it already. a ridiculous Ibanez metal guitar is the last guitar I need.

(yeah I have the Tosin signature eight string shut up)

there's one on reverb for like 1400 bucks