Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Augus posted:

what the gently caress is this bullshit

It's why thieves and any class where the benefit is go first more often is basically useless and why turn order is seemingly completely loving random leading to the horseshit of the enemy boss going 2 times at the end of a round and 2 times at the start of a round and instantly wiping you from full health.

An Rpg where you can't select what enemy to attack, running on the map screen drains hp, and battles provide either xp or items but never both* is better designed than FF3DS.

*burn in hell for killing the franchise, Dragon Song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also the bosses all suck because they just have MORE HP and MORE ACTIONS PER TURN which makes them boring and frustrating to fight in a way that there's no solution to except to grind more. re-raise doesn't help when the enemy can go four times in a row and kill your entire party

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My take-away from this is that Tanaka should probably be kept away from game design by law.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you can cast libra on enemies but since it won't scan things with more than 9999 health it stops working on bosses almost immediately and stops working on regular enemies about 2/3 through the game too

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the upside, Bards are really good in FF3DS because their songs always go first and apply party-wide buffs and healing, which you can't get otherwise (other than gambling on the White versions of things like Leviath and Bahamur).

Garuda is really the biggest roadblock of a boss and if it wasn't for Job Sickness you could just cheese it with 4x Geomancer/Dragoon nonsense. Past that though none of the bosses are that bad until you hit the final dungeon which is extra dumb.

Did I mention that Phoenix Downs aren't buyable and inns don't revive people?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

What is up with the weird summon spell names in FF3 anyway? "Hyper"? They aren't the name of the summon, a contraction of their signature spells (except maybe one of their black/white ones because hell if I know them) or half the time even related to the element.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

you can cast libra on enemies but since it won't scan things with more than 9999 health it stops working on bosses almost immediately and stops working on regular enemies about 2/3 through the game too

I think you run into the same problem with Sense in FFVII, to be fair. It's not capped at 9999 but it does seem like it just stops working after a while.

Well I appreciate the info. However, I would argue FFVIII is also broken and terrible in a fundamental, objective sense.

In any event, we'll see what happens. I just finished the Tower of something, Desch is dead I think and it's on to what I assume is the next crystal. I'll getto see these problems soon enough.

I think you run into the same problem with Sense in FFVII, to be fair. It's not capped at 9999 but it does seem like it just stops working after a while.

Well I appreciate the info. However, I would argue FFVIII is also broken and terrible in a fundamental, objective sense.

In any event, we'll see what happens. I just finished the Tower of something, Desch is dead I think and it's on to what I assume is the next crystal. I'll getto see these problems soon enough.

Also, this is just a mild interest of mine, months back I compared the score for allthe XIII games on Steam. Well, I looked at some other FFs.
FFIII: 9/10
FFIV: 9/10
FFV: 7/10
FFVI: 7/10
FFVII: 9/10
FFVIII: 9/10
FFXIII: 7/10
FFXIII-2: 6/10
FFXIII-3: 9/10

I'm sure some of these figures reflect the port's quality rather than the actual game's. I recall so much bitching about how FFVI looked here I think? Still XIII-2 being the lowest is kinda sad. I'll just say it's due to the fact it has so many more reviews than, say, FFIV.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 25, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Imagine if in DnD, you rolled initiative every round with a d200 and had to keep your roll secret. Yeah.

And your dexterity gives you a +1 bonus!!!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Barudak posted:

An Rpg where you can't select what enemy to attack, running on the map screen drains hp, and battles provide either xp or items but never both* is better designed than FF3DS.

*burn in hell for killing the franchise, Dragon Song

Don't forget populating an entire dungeon with loot for one specific character then getting rid of said character for the entirety of the game. Twice!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF3DS is still better than any version of FF2, but at least the FF2 remakes and ports made it better

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zombies' Downfall posted:

FF3DS is still better than any version of FF2

No. That's wrong and you're dumb.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

At least in the way FF8 is broken you can make the game crazy easy for yourself, plus a lot of that game's appeal is experimenting with all sorts of ways to break the game. The game is broken in your favor. FF3DS is broken against you, with a lot of frustrating bullshit with no quality-of-life changes that people would expect of a 3D remake of a NES RPG. The game was janky as hell to begin with, the dungeons had some horrible gimmicks that weren't updated, they took a job system built on upgrading jobs as you got them with some puzzle areas that depended on using the right job for the situation (White Magic for Mini, Dragoons for Garuda, Mystic Knights for Cave of Darkness) and instead chose to make all jobs equally viable without really rebalancing the game to fit that plus punishing you even more for experimenting with jobs, and of course did nothing to actually help with the more tedious aspects.

I'd love to do a proper rebalance of FF3 some day to make the lovely jobs useful, buff black magic since it's terrible in this game, add some loving save points, and make dungeons less lovely. I'd have to learn how to actually do that poo poo first though, hah.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

At least the remakes of FF2 make it playable. Not exactly good but playable. FF3 DS is just a completely wretched, broken game that is inferior to the game it is a remake of in every conceivable way. Everything about its design is fundamentally broken.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The best version of FF3 is FF14. :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FF3DS is still better than any version of FF2, but at least the FF2 remakes and ports made it better

hmmm

nah

ff3ds is really bad

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've always liked FF2 so maybe I'm just weird and will like all of FF3, too.

Also, whatever else might be unfair in FF3DS, the fact the game gives you a Quicksave function, and autosaves before every fight, is extremely awesome.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 25, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i've played ff2-gba and ff3-ds and i can conclusively say that ff2 was better

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ff2 GBA is pretty fun

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

FFII is instantly better than FFIII because it has Minwu, the biggest badass white mage dude.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

I hope the extra effort dubbing takes doesn't delay the European version.

It shouldn't if the main company knows what it's doing, which they hopefully do by now. Skyrim, for example, had fully localization on day one in French/German etc. including every single book in the game world, and without fail every U.S. theatrical film gets a French release in Quebec with the same release date as the U.S., midnight screenings and all.

But then the PS1 Final Fantasy games all got delayed by like a week because they were slow on making a French version of the manual, so :ohdear:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It makes sense that FFV and FFVI have comparatively bad scores on steam, the ports they brought there look ugly as poo poo.

Seriously, look at this:

They brought the mobile ports over for some reason, compared to the DS ports for 3 and 4. Bizarre choice.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It makes sense that FFV and FFVI have comparatively bad scores on steam, the ports they brought there look ugly as poo poo.

Seriously, look at this:

They brought the mobile ports over for some reason, compared to the DS ports for 3 and 4. Bizarre choice.

These Amano portraits look great, we should use them in the dialog boxes. But they don't seem to fit well... oh well gently caress it, just lay them on top and loving ship it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just love the angry eyebrows on everyone.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Faris has a mad resting bitch face going on. Or maybe just a mad acting bitch face, hard to tell. She is clearly not putting up with your poo poo today regardless.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Fister Roboto posted:

Just for the American edition though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'd have angry eyebrows too if someone squished and stretched me like that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seriously, look at this:

The aspect raidou on FF6 is really painful.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

3 and 4 are mobile ports as well, it's just that the mobile versions were based on the DS versions and not made from scratch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I still find it hilarious that every male FF character is always angry, but the female characters are never angry.

Like, imagine them doing that poo poo with Lightning. No way she has any other emotions besides "pissed as gently caress at the world." Yet I'm sure they'd make her doe-eyed while loving Sazh would be angry as poo poo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

FFII is instantly better than FFIII because it has Minwu, the biggest badass white mage dude.

You mean the only white mage dude. Like the only other one I could think of is Hope, and that's arguable.

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always liked FF2 so maybe I'm just weird and will like all of FF3, too.

Also, whatever else might be unfair in FF3DS, the fact the game gives you a Quicksave function, and autosaves before every fight, is extremely awesome.

The autosave didn't exist in the DS version, it's something they added for the iOS port.

So now imagine that 2-hour final dungeon without any save points.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I know it's petty, but they seriously didn't extend the :effort: to correct the sprite seams on those pillars?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

The autosave didn't exist in the DS version, it's something they added for the iOS port.

So now imagine that 2-hour final dungeon without any save points.

Well I guess I lucked out then .

I just got the second set of Jobs, incidentally. Still think I want to keep White Mage and Monk 'cuz they're really invaluable. Warrior becomes Knight because that makes sense to me and I guess that leaves Red Mage Refia becoming Scholar. Game told me I need one and also everyone says they're the best.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

I know it's petty, but they seriously didn't extend the :effort: to correct the sprite seams on those pillars?

Nope. Technically those seams were always there (if you look closely at SNES screens you can see them) but the low res hid them. All they did was filter/redraw sprites as they were and lots of the game looks like poo poo as a result.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I guess I lucked out then .

I just got the second set of Jobs, incidentally. Still think I want to keep White Mage and Monk 'cuz they're really invaluable. Warrior becomes Knight because that makes sense to me and I guess that leaves Red Mage Refia becoming Scholar. Game told me I need one and also everyone says they're the best.

Please don't use a Scholar, they're really bad and are only good for one gimmick dungeon (and even then, not very good).

Geomancer is way better than Scholar even with the RNG element to their attacks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Scholars actually have decent offense with their books, but they have the worst vitality in the game and HP is the sole stat that carries over between jobs, so I'd switch out of it after you do the one fight that you need it for.

e: Thinking back, I think in his LP Cool Ghost wrecked poo poo using them since Scholars double the power of attack items in the DS version, but he also duped a bunch of said items with some glitch that may or may not be fixed in the PC version.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 25, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nope. Technically those seams were always there (if you look closely at SNES screens you can see them) but the low res hid them. All they did was filter/redraw sprites as they were and lots of the game looks like poo poo as a result.

That's fair enough I guess; with the lower quality SNES pixels, I suppose there's leeway for the imagination to fill in and smooth out the odd bits...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What really bugs me is adding the portraits without doing anything to make them match the sprites in any way. Faris's portrait and her sprite don't even have the same hair color.

Also the font is awful.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

What really bugs me is adding the portraits without doing anything to make them match the sprites in any way. Faris's portrait and her sprite don't even have the same hair color.

Also the font is awful.

They recolored the portraits in the ff6 remake. It's still ugly as poo poo though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's pretty sad that the best way to play FF6 (and 5) is using a GBA emulator with color correction and sound fan patches applied.