Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

thespaceinvader posted:

There's still one more slot for the Goon Game on nTtA on BGO. Password is Stairs.

let us renew the struggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

homullus posted:

It really does seem that GMT has landed enough successes (Twilight Struggle, Dominant Species, COIN games) that their traditional way of doing things is not really able to keep up anymore.

It's probably a way to slow down production to something they can manage.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

If I store them on their sides, the pieces fall out.

Buy more games so they are more squished on shelf and can't open, duh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

Incidentally, this is also the best part about Agricola.

A correctibex post.

Also, re: nautilus, we got it for a couple bucks at a thrift store, I read the rules, and decided it looked super boring and not at all worth playing. Still need to get rid of it but that's laziness, not desire.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You're supposed to use Ikea shelves guys! That's, like, the rule and stuff.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

House Louse posted:

Efb. Also, you can Throne Room a Feast to get two cards.

False. As soon as the feast gets trashed from the first use the throne room loses track of it and fails to play feast a second time. I believe this is explained in the rulebook explanation for feast.

dominionstrategy.com has an excellent wiki and forum (where the game designer posts) as well as some good strategy guides.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Machai posted:

False. As soon as the feast gets trashed from the first use the throne room loses track of it and fails to play feast a second time. I believe this is explained in the rulebook explanation for feast.

dominionstrategy.com has an excellent wiki and forum (where the game designer posts) as well as some good strategy guides.

Similar to how goons + throne room/king's court works

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You're both wrong. The lose track rule just means that the feast can't get moved into trash again since it lost track of itself. You still get to gain a second card since you play it twice and the gain isn't conditional on Feast trashing itself. The reason TR/KC/procession don't combo with goons is because the vp token effect on goons only cares about whether goons is in play or not, not how many times it's been played eg Bridge.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Machai posted:

This is completely incorrect.

TR-Feast gets you two cards, Lose Track is irrelevant in this case.

It goes like this:

Play Throne Room.
Choose Feast.
Feast says 'trash this'. It gets moved to trash. Then Feast says 'Gain a card costing up to 5' (note the lack of a conditional statement there). You gain a card.

Then Throne Room plays it again. All of its text is remembered, Throne Room doesn't have to know where it is for that.
Feast says 'Trash this'. I can't, I don't have it any more, it's not in play at the moment. So I don't. Then I carry on through the text, Feast says 'gain a card costing up to 5'. So I do that.

Lose Track does apply, because it stops you trashing Feast a second time.

You might be thinking of Mining Village, which has an 'if you do' clause, which means that you can TR it, trash it on the first play for 2, play it again - but you can't trash it a second time, because you've lost track of it, so the 'if you do' can't happen and you can't gain the money again.

Throne Room, King's Court and Procession don't have to know where the card is to execute its text, but if they're told to put it somewhere, and it's not in the place it's expected to be because it already got put there on a previous play of the card, that part and anything conditional on it, that fails.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 25, 2016

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Played a Concordia 5p game last night. Scoring is not my favorite part and TBQH I don't think I want to spend the effort it would require to track that, so I think I'll only ever play it with the vaguest sense of who's in the lead. Still a good game though.

Also just ordered Ferox which is a 2p card game based on cannibal exploitation movies. I'll trip report it once I get it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
One thing I've noticed about Dominion, after having it pretty much constantly in rotation at the nerdstore's game night, is that it takes a lot of neophyte gamers a long time to get over the hurdle of 'try to vaguely remember some rule of thumb someone told you once about how the game works' and transition to 'just read the loving card and do what it says, that's it, christ'.

But when they do every other game becomes a LOT more fluid to play. People actually pay attention to the rules instead of wandering off into interpretation land. Dominion is actually teaching people how to play games properly.

And then just about every other game is sloppy as poo poo about writing clear rules and you're stuck back in interpretation land. :sigh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oldstench posted:

Played a Concordia 5p game last night. Scoring is not my favorite part and TBQH I don't think I want to spend the effort it would require to track that, so I think I'll only ever play it with the vaguest sense of who's in the lead. Still a good game though.

The main scoring conditions are buying cards, getting a set of cities for different goods, occupying regions and putting dudes on the map. It's not hard to see who will get the most advantage from a particular card.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

The main scoring conditions are buying cards, getting a set of cities for different goods, occupying regions and putting dudes on the map. It's not hard to see who will get the most advantage from a particular card.

It might be harder to see who's been stocking up on a certain kind of card, though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Jedit posted:

If you're not actively keeping track of the cards they buy, huge point swings can happen, especially with Mars.

e: I'm probably just bad at games.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 25, 2016

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

I'm going to be playing Sheriff of Nottingham tonight. Anything I should keep in mind, be aware of, or modify the rules for?

I seem to remember some people disliking the end game bonuses.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tendales posted:

One thing I've noticed about Dominion, after having it pretty much constantly in rotation at the nerdstore's game night, is that it takes a lot of neophyte gamers a long time to get over the hurdle of 'try to vaguely remember some rule of thumb someone told you once about how the game works' and transition to 'just read the loving card and do what it says, that's it, christ'.

But when they do every other game becomes a LOT more fluid to play. People actually pay attention to the rules instead of wandering off into interpretation land. Dominion is actually teaching people how to play games properly.

And then just about every other game is sloppy as poo poo about writing clear rules and you're stuck back in interpretation land. :sigh:

Dominion certainly does have its woolly areas (what happens if you Ironworks Great Hall and Trader it into a Silver?) but they're few, far between, and usually FAQed somewhere. Would that other games were similarly well written after the number of expansions it's seen.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

(what happens if you Ironworks Great Hall and Trader it into a Silver?)

That one's easy. If I say, "feed the blue dog, then take it for a walk," "it" refers to the blue dog, including its blueness, but "it" does not mean "the dog you fed." We are talking about a blue dog, and I am giving you two commands concerning it. Feed it, walk it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I'm going to be playing Sheriff of Nottingham tonight. Anything I should keep in mind, be aware of, or modify the rules for?

You can offer a bribe to get the sheriff to open other people's bags. A thing I like to do is offer a bribe to open my own bag. Future contracts are not allowed, and anybody offering it is a dick.

Something people miss is you can only declare one type of thing. So you can't declare 1 bread and 2 chickens. You can declare 3 breads and try to get the chickens through. You cannot lie about the number of items in the bag. This makes the game a little more strategic and less pure bluffing, because people claiming higher numbers will happen less often and really cause a moment to think. This is where I usually have four bread or something and offer a bribe to open my own bag.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Oldstench posted:

If you're not actively keeping track of the cards they buy, huge point swings can happen, especially with Mars.

e: I'm probably just bad at games.

Well, with Mars it's easy to keep track of who shouldn't be getting those cards.

(It's everyone but you.)

My last game, everyone was so dead set on preventing me from getting Mars cards that they didn't notice another player sneaking Mercurius card buys. I should speak up more.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Oldstench posted:

Also just ordered Ferox which is a 2p card game based on cannibal exploitation movies. I'll trip report it once I get it.

Ferox looks neat. I'm interested in hearing how it goes.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You can offer a bribe to get the sheriff to open other people's bags. A thing I like to do is offer a bribe to open my own bag. Future contracts are not allowed, and anybody offering it is a dick.

Future deals are legal but not binding. They're very strong; if a couple players establish "free trade" they'll pull away from other players quickly. I always find it funny playing with "non-dealers" in games like this - all proud of how they won't deal unless they come out ahead in every trade, and, huh, they came in last again.

That said, because future deals aren't binding, there's potential for serious backstabs (as you're likely to go heavy contraband when you have a deal pre-made).

Overall, though, I find Sheriff more interesting in theory than in practice. It's as much "iterative prisoner's dilemma" as it is bluffing game.. And while that sort of mechanic makes for a very deep, complicated game, it isn't memorable or engaging.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 25, 2016

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I find Sheriff to be like Coup or Cockroach Poker or Skull, but with more convoluted mechanics and scoring, without actually being deeper or more interesting to justify it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My wife really likes bluffing and bidding games. I have mixed reception to them. What are some things I could look into for her? She's the main board game buyer in the household, so she's probably already hard about it, but just random stuff elsewhere. For reference, she loves to put in a game of Avalon at the game nights while the crew is all between games. She loves Cockroach Poker, even though it's not my kind of thing. We're playing Grog Island right now for bidding.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
coup is nothing but bluffing
spyfall is a whole lot of bluffing as well

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Ra is my fav auction game and has a new edition coming out soon. The bidding is really good too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rules question for the new TTA. Using an Aggression card, can the attacker add to her basic strength in any way? Playing cards or anything like that? Thanks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lorini posted:

Rules question for the new TTA. Using an Aggression card, can the attacker add to her basic strength in any way? Playing cards or anything like that? Thanks.

No. Only the defender can play +defense cards.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Aggression seems useless then from a newbie point of view. Explanation?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lorini posted:

The military game in old TtA was way OP even at relatively low differences in military, which made it really tough to pursue any other strategy. They've reined it in a lot.

They're still useful, but you either have to have multiple people use them in the same round (or ideally, Caesar's ability lets you do two yourself if you have the actions), or you have to have a significantly higher military than the other guy to make them work.

They're frequently devastating when they do, IIRC the effects of them have actually been made stronger, at least in some cases, but the difficulty of getting them has gone up a lot.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Lorini posted:

In the early and mid game, the most useful function of aggressions is to attack a stacked military hand, which helps you win colony fights. As a side function, they also help reign in early science or culture rushes.

Then in the late game, militaries tend to get a LOT more lopsided, which turns on the nasty late aggressions for real.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

You can offer goods in the bag or in front of you to the sheriff in addition to money. My strategies usually involve offering people stuff they're competing for end game bonuses and maybe one or two of my contraband in exchange for me smuggling in the rest. It's kinda amazing how often I get away with picking up five discarded contraband (because people always discard contraband only) and "sneaking" it through with a few goods.

If you offer something in your bag, you have to give it to the sheriff if they accept. Of course, if that promised item isn't actually in the bag, then you don't have to give anything. I'm always honest for the meta-game so people always will do deals with me, but there is value in completely dicking people over and pissing them off.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Gutter Owl posted:

In the early and mid game, the most useful function of aggressions is to attack a stacked military hand, which helps you win colony fights. As a side function, they also help reign in early science or culture rushes.

Then in the late game, militaries tend to get a LOT more lopsided, which turns on the nasty late aggressions for real.

Yep, keeps people honest. If you neglect your military, you get smashed. Mostly a game of deterrence

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Act like a ridiculous Renaissance fair actor trying to be British every time you're the sheriff.

Or, if other people are doing that, act like a sheriff from the old west.

Make up a lie of how items got in your bag whenever you get caught.

Make up a lie of how items got in your bag if you sneak them through.

Tell the sheriff you're a traveling baker from bakershire and you're bringing baked goods to feed starving infants in town and it would be most troublesome if the sheriff opened your bag and ruined the loaves for the children.

Ham it up more than Shatner

Legitimately, it's also easier to lie to people more convincingly if you do it "in character", since it's not you lying anymore, it's your character.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 26, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alternatively tell the truth in the most unconvincing way every time. That's how this one guy kept winning.

Sheriffs hate it!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played Blood Rage last night, and I think we all came to the conclusion that it was lesser than Chaos. I don't know if it was first game syndrome (aka Khorne is OP! syndrome), but we found that with so many Loki cards and the Glorious Death! quests, a lot of players were incentivized to lose battles, rather than have any actually aiming to win fights. This probably happened because unlike, say, Kemet, there were at least duplicates of a lot of the key cards, including the card that gave you points for dudes in Valhalla, cards that gave you some bonus when you lost a fight (and incidentally you get to keep the card), the aforementioned Glorious Death, etc. It was just a kinda weird, strangely powerful tactic.

Had fun overall, though, but I'd rather play Kemet or Chaos.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Stupid question: in Dungeon Petz, when you sell a pet, it goes away, yes? I only ask because it doesn't seem to actually specify that in the rulebook. So if you sell all your petz, you won't have any for the final exhibition which counts your petz?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yes, they're no longer in your shop. The manual also recommends putting sold pets together with the customers that bought them so you can see who got what at the end of the game :3:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I just was thinking I kinda hate the direction games seem to be going, selling their game by making you buy a fuckload of miniatures. At the same time, I kinda hate chits. What's the middle ground here

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Standees, clearly.

Or Diskwars tazos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

signalnoise posted:

I just was thinking I kinda hate the direction games seem to be going, selling their game by making you buy a fuckload of miniatures. At the same time, I kinda hate chits. What's the middle ground here
Isn't that more of a Kickstarter phenomenon than board gaming in general?