Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

A Catholic monk criticized Polish Prime Minister Beata Szydlo and her supporters for refusing to take in any refugees. Momentally a shitstorm in the comments ensued, as Polish Catholics wanted to know how the gently caress this guy dares to evaluate someone's else's faith.

:irony: :poland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Last year you may remember we used satellite imagery to examine craters from artillery attacks in Eastern Ukraine which, in combination with additional evidence, proved Russia had been launching artillery attacks in Ukraine from Russian territory.

Now in the Savchenko trial the exaxt same methodology was used by a prosecution expert witness to prove Ukrainian artillery fired into Russia, citing Bellingcat and winning praise from the judge
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2016/03/25/russian-prosecution-cites-bellingcat-methods-in-savchenko-trial/

So now we've had a nice precedent set in a Russian court for a methodology we developed being acceptable evidence to prove the origin of artillery attacks, which is always handy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The best way to spot for artillery is clearly with a bag over your head.

Edit: Speaking of Savchenko, Ukraine says she's to be returned. Here's the original article if anyone reads Russian: http://grani.ru/Politics/Russia/Politzeki/m.249858.html

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 25, 2016

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

So Bellingcat is accurate when it's in Russia's favor? Of course it doesn't do any good to point out the contradiction.

After sentencing her to 22 years in prison they worked out a prisoner exchange deal with Ukraine it seems. I imagine that was part of the plan all along, with the announcement she would be returned to Ukraine coming hours after her sentencing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There isn't really any confirmation of this happening, FWIW, and this seems to be the only source.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So Bellingcat is accurate when it's in Russia's favor? Of course it doesn't do any good to point out the contradiction.

After sentencing her to 22 years in prison they worked out a prisoner exchange deal with Ukraine it seems. I imagine that was part of the plan all along, with the announcement she would be returned to Ukraine coming hours after her sentencing.

The Savchenko farce has served effectively as a tool for the politically obtuse liberal opposition to further discredit itself in the eyes of most Russians. A quiet exchange after the kangaroo trial is over is the most logical outcome because there's no upside to keeping her locked up and no downside to performing the exchange.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The Pope, in a gesture of humility, washed feet of some refugees. A lot of Polish Catholics didn't take it well.

Some Facebook quotes:

• "This is a betrayal of Christ and Christianity."
  • "Antipope, betrayer of Jesus Christ the King."
  • "We don't want the Antichrist in Krakow." (the Pope is supposed to visit the city during the World Youth Day)
  • "This leftie pretending to be the Pope is going to try to make us to accept terrorists!"
  • "Is this senility?"
  • "He's loving dangerous!"
  • "Muslims got their feet washed... probably for the first time in their life."
  • "Washing the feet of 12 men is supposed to memorize how Christ washed the feet of the Apostles... and here we have some women and pagans."

These are the same people who usually present themselves as ultra-orthodox and maintain that you have to completely adhere to everything a priest teaches you to be even a passable Catholic.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OddObserver posted:

There isn't really any confirmation of this happening, FWIW, and this seems to be the only source.

Now Tymoshenko (aka "Her") is claiming it, FWIW.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
Soiled Meat
This Pope isn't even Polish, what a fraud.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gantolandon posted:

The Pope, in a gesture of humility, washed feet of some refugees. A lot of Polish Catholics didn't take it well.

Some Facebook quotes:

• "We don't want the Antichrist in Krakow." (the Pope is supposed to visit the city during the World Youth Day)
  • "This leftie pretending to be the Pope is going to try to make us to accept terrorists!"
  • "Is this senility?"
  • "Washing the feet of 12 men is supposed to memorize how Christ washed the feet of the Apostles... and here we have some women and pagans."

These are the same people who usually present themselves as ultra-orthodox and maintain that you have to completely adhere to everything a priest teaches you to be even a passable Catholic.

bleh

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

gently caress those pretend Catholics. poo poo like this makes me almost as angry as the Prosperity Gospel.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Soiled Meat

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

gently caress those pretend Catholics. poo poo like this makes me almost as angry as the Prosperity Gospel.

The Pope should start excommunicating people again, imho.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Fun fact: there is a priest in Poland that runs a charity organization and espouses what is pretty much a Catholic version of the Prosperity Gospel.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

The Pope should start excommunicating people again, imho.
The Pope should excommunicate countries.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Pope should excommunicate countries.

He does but the bar is too high for anyone to reach.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's really lame when papal authority falls so low you can't even excommunicate or call crusades

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Polish paleoconservative catholics should elect an antipope for maximum hilarity.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder how many bishops would send thier taxes to him

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Bring back the Great Schism. Everyone excommunicate each other and get on to more important things.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Gantolandon posted:

Some Facebook quotes:

• "Is this senility?"

"We need to keep Muslim refugees out to preserve Catholic Polish culture. Also, gently caress the Pope, he's a pagan antichrist communist."

Someone get some Evangelicals over to Poland stat. I'd apologize for advocating making Poland worse, but you'd barely notice the difference. It would just be hilarious to see Protestantism spring up in Poland, because the Pope treated some Muslim refugees as people :allears:.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Friendly Humour posted:

I wonder how many bishops would send thier taxes to him
Given current Polish government, they'd enforce it.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

DrProsek posted:

"We need to keep Muslim refugees out to preserve Catholic Polish culture. Also, gently caress the Pope, he's a pagan antichrist communist."

Someone get some Evangelicals over to Poland stat. I'd apologize for advocating making Poland worse, but you'd barely notice the difference. It would just be hilarious to see Protestantism spring up in Poland, because the Pope treated some Muslim refugees as people :allears:.

Eh, they're already here in all but name. I've mentioned this before, but the religious-conservative crowd is hugely influenced by American evangelical thought. Catholic creationists are a thing, a lot of the popular anti-gay and anti-feminist arguments are straight from evangelical theology, and they even imported all of the old Protestant moral panics. I remember the priest at school warning us about the spiritual dangers of tabletop RPG's and showing a subtitled VHS "documentary" about satanic ritual abuse - and this was in the early 2000's, years after even most American biblethumpers had long abandoned belief in that stuff.

Honestly if the Pope says "you should take in refugees" during his visit, I wouldn't rule out some sort comical, first-as-tragedy-then-as-farce schism, or at least some organized right-wing opposition to the Pope materializing beyond the current complaints. There are thousands of devout Catholics who agree with Francis on literally nothing, it's just that so far actual Vatican influence in Poland was small and they could safely ignore him. The papal visit could bring this conflict to a head.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

How about some news from Ukraine?

It appears the Russian-backed militants may be ramping up their attacks. There is shelling in Horlivka and some Ukrainian doctors were attacked.

http://www.dialog.ua/news/81874_1459024968

quote:

Attacking militants during the evacuation of the wounded Ukrainian soldiers from Avdeevka industrial zone, where more than one day, the militants fired at positions of the anti-terrorist operation.

Head of Division Jan Zinkevich on Facebook wrote that after the rotation of all the victims necessarily will be a full examination and if needed treatment in a hospital Mechnikov Dnepropetrovsk, which rescued the wounded fighters ATO.

"There is bad news. Our group came under fire in the industrial area at the time of the evacuation of the wounded soldiers. Senior Group Yuri Skrabets injured, he contusion, intracranial injury, akubarotravma. Yura was evacuated to the 66th hospital Krasnoarmeisk. Once the condition has stabilized, Jura again arrived at the position he will stay here for a few days before the end of its rotation contusion was still our driver with the call sign "The Artist" His condition is stable, he is their position did not leave all those affected will be sent for examination to Mechnikov after rotation of the end ".... - He said Zinkevich with social networks.

Earlier it was reported about the aggravation of the situation along the line of the ATO. For example, in the Luhansk region Ukrainian fighters repulsed the terrorist attack near the settlement Nizhneteploe.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

How about some news from Ukraine?

It appears the Russian-backed militants may be ramping up their attacks. There is shelling in Horlivka and some Ukrainian doctors were attacked.

Casualty numbers seem to be going up, too. 2 KIA, 11WIA over the last 24-hour period there was a report on...

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Death to the separatists. Death to Putin.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
This has been part of a steady trend of violence as spring comes around, field guns are being fired again, thankfully no GRADs. I don't think it's even clear what the separatists are fighting for at this point besides fighting against stability, not even Russia is going to recognize your depopulated hell state, just let it end.

In other news, separatists have apparently run out of DPR flags and have switched to good old bolshevik red.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sparatuvs posted:

This has been part of a steady trend of violence as spring comes around, field guns are being fired again, thankfully no GRADs. I don't think it's even clear what the separatists are fighting for at this point besides fighting against stability, not even Russia is going to recognize your depopulated hell state, just let it end.
It makes sense for Russia to support them and urge them to keep fighting; the bigger the clusterfuck, the less attention on Crimea which has been the real prize.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 27, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

anilEhilated posted:

It makes sense for Russia to support them and urge them to keep fighting; the bigger the clusterfuck, the less attention on Crimea which has been the real prize.

The vast majority of fighters are not actually directly controlled by Russia, I guess they don't see much to go home to, and would rather just be leaders of their flock of homo sovieticus.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't need to be direct control, just propaganda: just be good little insurgents, kill some more of those fascist pigdogs for us and we'll definitely take you into Mother Russia's loving embrace. Yeah, next time. Pinky swear, cross our border and hope to die.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 27, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

Eh, they're already here in all but name. I've mentioned this before, but the religious-conservative crowd is hugely influenced by American evangelical thought. Catholic creationists are a thing, a lot of the popular anti-gay and anti-feminist arguments are straight from evangelical theology, and they even imported all of the old Protestant moral panics. I remember the priest at school warning us about the spiritual dangers of tabletop RPG's and showing a subtitled VHS "documentary" about satanic ritual abuse - and this was in the early 2000's, years after even most American biblethumpers had long abandoned belief in that stuff.

Honestly if the Pope says "you should take in refugees" during his visit, I wouldn't rule out some sort comical, first-as-tragedy-then-as-farce schism, or at least some organized right-wing opposition to the Pope materializing beyond the current complaints. There are thousands of devout Catholics who agree with Francis on literally nothing, it's just that so far actual Vatican influence in Poland was small and they could safely ignore him. The papal visit could bring this conflict to a head.

I would elaborate how much the Polish Catholic Church is out of control, but instead I'm going to leave here a quote from a Polish priest.

"It's a myth! There is no such quote in the Holy Scripture where Jesus tells people to share their wealth. It's Cathomarxism, a collection of stereotypes which are used to create a religion. Jesus didn't say anything about sharing their income. He helped the poor, but had plenty of rich friends and didn't tell them "Oi, you have too much money, give some off."

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

I would elaborate how much the Polish Catholic Church is out of control, but instead I'm going to leave here a quote from a Polish priest.

"It's a myth! There is no such quote in the Holy Scripture where Jesus tells people to share their wealth. It's Cathomarxism, a collection of stereotypes which are used to create a religion. Jesus didn't say anything about sharing their income. He helped the poor, but had plenty of rich friends and didn't tell them "Oi, you have too much money, give some off."

Oh look I went as far as translating the Supply Side Jesus comic just for the occasion, back when Father Jacek said what had to be said about Cathomarxism. Sadly, didn't take wykop.pl by storm, I wonder what gives...

Here it is http://imgur.com/a/g7TwX/

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 27, 2016

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Pierogi posted:

Oh look I went as far as translating the Supply Side Jesus comic just for the occasion, back when Father Jacek said what had to be said about Cathomarxism. Sadly, didn't take wykop.pl by storm, I wonder what gives...

It's beautiful :3:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Pierogi posted:

:perfect:

Happy Easter goons. Supply Side Jesus is risen. Alleluja alleluja alleluja!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, Polish Catholicism is disgusting.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's honestly amazing how far back the Soviet Union set back leftism around the world with their bullcrap.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Soiled Meat

drilldo squirt posted:

It's honestly amazing how far back the Soviet Union set back leftism around the world with their bullcrap.

Yeah, Bolshevism turned altruism into a dirty word. Nowadays having any sort of social agenda in the formed Eastern Block is like being a mutant product of incest.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The recent Ukraine developments have me a little worried. I've got a friend who is flying back to visit family for a week at the end of April, how hard should I be trying to talk them out of it?

e: Family in Kaniv, for reference.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

bango skank posted:

The recent Ukraine developments have me a little worried. I've got a friend who is flying back to visit family for a week at the end of April, how hard should I be trying to talk them out of it?

e: Family in Kaniv, for reference.

West of the Dnieper you should be safe. I wouldn't go to Kharkov, or anywhere in Donbass obviously. April will probably not be a good month for Ukraine, both sides are already talking about spring offensives and the ceasefire north of Donetsk completely collapsed last afternoon.

e:woops meant west.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 28, 2016

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sparatuvs posted:

East of the Dnieper you should be safe. I wouldn't go to Kharkov, or anywhere in Donbass obviously. April will probably not be a good month for Ukraine, both sides are already talking about spring offensives and the ceasefire north of Donetsk completely collapsed last afternoon.

Thanks for the reply, I talked to him about it earlier tonight and turns out he's not going til May so while it's still a risky thing at least we'll be able to see what the spring brings before he heads out I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unless Putin goes full :hitler: and decides to take Kiev, it should be fine. I have family there and outside of maidan there's been absolutely nothing there to worry about so far.