Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mirthless posted:

You gotta admit it's kind of weird that an advertising company owned a bunch of robotics startups

Android creator and top-notch hire Andy Rubin had a long-term plan about how to integrate and use all the robotics stuff he bought. Unfortunately, when he walked, nobody else did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Pebble laid off 25% yesterday(ish?), I'm trying to keep a list of companies that have been scaling back on some level, some via news announcements and some through my network:

Pebble
Zenefits
Yahoo
VMWare
DoorDash
SurveyMonkey
LivingSocial
AutoDesk
MixPanel
Instacart
KaBam
EMC
Pivotal
Optimizely
Tango
NetApp
HomeJoy
Twitter
Avid
Sidecar
Zynga
Evernote
Cisco

Obviously not all are startups, some are big time enterprise companies.

This also has a bunch of startups that have recently(ish) failed: http://autopsy.io/

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 25, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My memory sucks; have we already mentioned Valeant's CEO resigning Monday?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

DOOP posted:

I work at a chemical plant that's owned by a law firm

Corporate structures are weird

They get weirder, I work for a prison telco vendor that's owned by a car rental company.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snapchat just bought Bitmoji for $100 million.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I sure hope that's mostly stock. Hard to tell.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Josh Lyman posted:

Anyone learning about bitmoji from this thread, please post your impressions of dawning disgust.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Is there an anime equivalent of Bitmoji? Asking for a friend.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
We're those the little cartoons everyone on FB posted for about a week before it got super annoying and caused Zuckerberg to write a way to ignore it?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You guys shouldn't be surprised about 100 mil for bitmoji. I mean, poo poo, what was paid out for Instagram?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

FilthyImp posted:

We're those the little cartoons everyone on FB posted for about a week before it got super annoying and caused Zuckerberg to write a way to ignore it?

there are other little cartoons on facebook that haven't gone away, and :barf: at the increasingly excessively detailed smilies ("emoticons" or "emojis" are terrible words) for people with no taste and stunted emotional development

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

blowfish posted:

there are other little cartoons on facebook that haven't gone away, and :barf: at the increasingly excessively detailed smilies ("emoticons" or "emojis" are terrible words) for people with no taste and stunted emotional development

Man, we were really ahead of the curve on this one.

:regd08:

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Anyone learning about bitmoji from this thread, please post your impressions of dawning disgust.

I hadn't heard of it before now; I can get why people might like it and how it fits into what I think Snapchat does (not that I'm really clear on that, either). Why I don't understand is why Snapchat would rather buy it for $100M than duplicate the functionality for what I imagine must be possible for a tiny fraction of the cost.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

mitztronic posted:

Pebble laid off 25% yesterday(ish?), I'm trying to keep a list of companies that have been scaling back on some level, some via news announcements and some through my network:

Pebble
Zenefits
Yahoo
VMWare
DoorDash
SurveyMonkey
LivingSocial
AutoDesk
MixPanel
Instacart
KaBam
EMC
Pivotal
Optimizely
Tango
NetApp
HomeJoy
Twitter
Avid
Sidecar
Zynga
Evernote
Cisco

Obviously not all are startups, some are big time enterprise companies.

This also has a bunch of startups that have recently(ish) failed: http://autopsy.io/

The fintech space is going to be rapidly adding notches to this belt. I'm at one of the lending startups and we laid off ~20% a month ago because the burn rate was too drat high but uh we're doomed and I'm looking for a way out. Much of the space is expanding deeper into subprime, and we all know how heavy exposure to that plays out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Anyone have a clear idea of the status of Box? I want to get my stuff out before it collapses.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Discendo Vox posted:

Anyone have a clear idea of the status of Box? I want to get my stuff out before it collapses.

They announced a :airquote:strong fourth quarter:airquote: for 2015

quote:

We have a history of cumulative losses, and we do not expect to be profitable for the foreseeable future.
We have incurred significant losses in each period since our inception in 2005. We incurred net losses of $50.3 million in our fiscal year ended December 31, 2011, $112.6 million in our fiscal year ended January 31, 2013, $168.6 million in our fiscal year ended January 31, 2014, and $121.5 million in the nine months ended October 31, 2014. As of October 31, 2014, we had an accumulated deficit of $482.7 million. These losses and accumulated deficit reflect the substantial investments we made to acquire new customers and develop our services. We intend to continue scaling our business to increase our number of users and paying organizations and to meet the increasingly complex needs of our customers. We have invested, and expect to continue to invest, in our sales and marketing organizations to sell our services around the world and in our development organization to deliver additional features and capabilities of our cloud services to address our customers’ evolving needs. We also expect to continue to make significant investments in our datacenter infrastructure and in our professional service organization as we focus on customer success. As a result of our continuing investments to scale our business in each of these areas, we do not expect to be profitable for the foreseeable future. Furthermore, to the extent we are successful in increasing our customer base, we will also incur increased losses due to upfront costs associated with acquiring new customers, particularly as a result of the limited free trial version of our service and the nature of subscription revenue, which is generally recognized ratably over the term of the subscription period, which is typically one year, although we also offer our services for terms ranging between one month to three years or more. We cannot assure you that we will achieve profitability in the future or that, if we do become profitable, we will sustain profitability.

Edit: Silly me, that's from their stock filings and not their strong quarter announcement. :rolleye:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tetraptous posted:

I hadn't heard of it before now; I can get why people might like it and how it fits into what I think Snapchat does (not that I'm really clear on that, either). Why I don't understand is why Snapchat would rather buy it for $100M than duplicate the functionality for what I imagine must be possible for a tiny fraction of the cost.

Some combination of ~ideas people~ and ~brand identity~ I imagine.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Tetraptous posted:

The answer to this is always that they aren't buying the technology, they're buying the user base.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about that (you should always have local copies anyway), one of the majors will buy the corpse (and all your data) for a bag of nickels.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

duz posted:

The answer to this is always that they aren't buying the technology, they're buying the user base.

Which will be monetised... how and when?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

When the investors see the increased user base and dump more money on them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

duz posted:

Sometimes you're buying the engineering team, but the engineering here is pretty trivial.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

redscare posted:

The fintech space is going to be rapidly adding notches to this belt. I'm at one of the lending startups and we laid off ~20% a month ago because the burn rate was too drat high but uh we're doomed and I'm looking for a way out. Much of the space is expanding deeper into subprime, and we all know how heavy exposure to that plays out.

What exactly is fintech? I've read so much of the yospos bitcoin thread that seeing "disrupt" and "banking" makes me instantly suspicious.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
AFAIK it's basically any new startup-y tech that involves money as the main product or service.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

blowfish posted:

:iiam:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think Bitmoji does ad tie ins, like the latest Calvin Klein collection for your avatar or something.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Neo Rasa posted:

My favorite parts are how shocked they are by the bamboo scaffolding as opposed to "traditional metal" like nothing more than five feet high was built ever built by humanity before aluminum or glass fibre hybrid and this sentence: "It was a great meal, but felt very foreign."

Been there! I talk about the bamboo scaffolding, but in the context of "for every finished building there are 4 or 5 being built. You have no idea how insane it is to see a city being built that fast."

It's changed a lot in the 7 years since I was last there. The massive, empty roadways are now packed with cars (and the air quality has gotten a lot worse).

Working with them for 11 or 12 years now, it's sometimes really challenging and sometimes really rewarding.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Unless they can demonstrate that they had a viable trademark interest in the Node.js stack before he wrote the Kik library in that context, how is what he did illegal?

Whether or not a court would have sided with Kik on this is immaterial - NPM unilaterally gave his project ownership to Kik without court involvement. Anyone who was using it was now subject to a completely different author putting anything they wanted in it's place - including keeping it mostly as-is but adding in a trojan to steal confidential information from their database. The original author realized what a horrible policy this was and removed everything else he'd ever done from such a malicious site. It just turned out that most of the internet (Including, hilariously enough, Kik) built their websites using one very popular module of his. Queue the gigantic explosion when everyone everywhere who used node.js finds they can't build/deploy due to this.

Things gone horribly wrong:
* Kik using a vague legalistic threat instead of either asking nicely or actually lawyering up. Doubly so when there is no reasonable way to comply with their demand due to the massive impact it has on everyone else.
* NPM having a flat namespace (requires ownership transfer and means anyone using Kik suddenly got Kik from another source)
* NPM thinking it was a court of law
* NPM making it neigh-impossible to use any other way than "always download from our servers to make ourselves indispensable to the entire internet"
* The reliance on micro-modules, including ones as small as a single line of code (Downloaded 88 million times per month)
* The existence of "Un-publishing" at all when doing so would break dependencies - that's what "You give us a right to distribute in perpetuity" policies are supposed to fix.
* Un-publishing making the module up-for-grabs so any Russian botnet could inject a trojan into millions of websites. Ashley Madison on literally every social media site all at once. It's only the massive attention this attracted that prevented it.
* Kik posting an article about it on Medium defending their actions instead of apologizing for how much they hosed everyone.
* loving Facebook using and releasing a framework that relies on a third party 11-line helper function instead of writing it themselves.

The whole thing is a great reminder of how dumb and fragile the tech startup ~~~disruptor~~~ system really is.

Harik fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 26, 2016

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Jesus loving christ:
http://recode.net/2016/03/24/snapchat-is-buying-bitstrips-the-company-that-turns-you-into-an-emoji/

quote:

Snapchat Is Buying Bitstrips, the Company That Turns You Into an Emoji

In the "ballpark of $100 million". Probably stock but what in the ever loving Christ is happening.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Jesus loving christ:
http://recode.net/2016/03/24/snapchat-is-buying-bitstrips-the-company-that-turns-you-into-an-emoji/

In the "ballpark of $100 million". Probably stock but what in the ever loving Christ is happening.
Literally this entire page, buddy.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Josh Lyman posted:

Literally this entire page, buddy.
Haha oh poo poo, I had an older tab open! Well, consider that my contribution to incredulity of it all.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Always growth, never maturity. Bring it into the ecosystem. Spinning, ever spinning.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

What exactly is fintech? I've read so much of the yospos bitcoin thread that seeing "disrupt" and "banking" makes me instantly suspicious.

Basically any tech "thing" that's for money instead of whatever. The most visible subsegment is online B2C lending (Lending Club, SoFi, etc) but there are also B2B lenders, investment/money management apps like Acorns/Mint/Betterment/Wealthfront, new mortgage entrants like Rocket Mortgage, plus whatever else can skirt existing regulations. The basic idea is "banking, but easier/more modern. Most will go bankrupt or get bought by existing financial institutions.

Bitcoin isn't disrupting poo poo.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't know, it seems to be an easy way to transfer money for illegal activites, since it's anonymous, untraceable, and irreversible. The transaction costs are high, but less than traditional money laundering.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

menino posted:

Always growth, never maturity. Bring it into the ecosystem. Spinning, ever spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rup3EdA0kw

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Flickr used to be fantastic. However, it dove into the shitter as soon as Yahoo decided it needed to be overhauled. For example, they gave it a slick look. Problem was, that "slick look" made it just awkward enough to use that I stopped using it. Time was, you'd load some photos, and you simply flip from page 1 to 2 to 3. But then they put in that idiotic "infinite scroll" horseshit that slowed down the page and was worse to use in every way. I seem to recall that it also became more awkward to do basic things like searching by tag, etc.

Mayer is just a terrible CEO. Yahoo may have been embattled, but just about every affirmative step the company has taken has been inane.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Konstantin posted:

I don't know, it seems to be an easy way to transfer money for illegal activites, since it's anonymous, untraceable, and irreversible. The transaction costs are high, but less than traditional money laundering.

Yeah but it's sometimes hard to cash out and not as anonymous as most users think because once you put in or take out any money you put your name and/or bank account number to a traceable chain of transactions, not counting insanity like meeting some crackhead with a bag full of amazon gift cards in a parking lot and hoping you don't get stabbed.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There are some b2b fintech startups doing cool stuff e.g. kensho

Centre of gravity of the fintech world is probably NY these days

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Flickr used to be fantastic. However, it dove into the shitter as soon as Yahoo decided it needed to be overhauled. For example, they gave it a slick look. Problem was, that "slick look" made it just awkward enough to use that I stopped using it. Time was, you'd load some photos, and you simply flip from page 1 to 2 to 3. But then they put in that idiotic "infinite scroll" horseshit that slowed down the page and was worse to use in every way. I seem to recall that it also became more awkward to do basic things like searching by tag, etc.

Mayer is just a terrible CEO. Yahoo may have been embattled, but just about every affirmative step the company has taken has been inane.

The search was completely ruined by the infinite search, but they brought back pagination on people's photostreams. I guess making it a giant pain in the rear end to browse a specific person's photos was bad enough that even the yahoos realized that.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Can't we all agree that VR porn is going to be the killer app?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv5NJqOEXkY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Will there be a point when tech hipsters return to Yahoo just for nostalgia?