Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Pokey Araya posted:

The third fret is probably a little high, you could sand it down with some steel wool, tape it off with painters tape, and go slow. Or the second fret could be low, I don't really know how to fix that minus a refret.

That's been suspicion for a while now, but I wouldn't want to start fiddling with the fret wire in case I make it even worse. Any luthiers around? Will I ruin my guitar by filing down the third fret on the high e a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, if you file it down too much, then you'd run into the issue where fretting 3 makes the string buzz on the 4th fret.

Beyond that, at long as it feels good and smooth it shouldn't make any difference.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

l'm looking to pick up a drum machine so that I can loop guitar / sing with a lil drum backing buddy, similar to the video below. I know next to nothing about drum machines and am fishing for suggestions / info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5thhFH6W3ko

I know Foals have been using a Korg KR-55 to write / record a lot of their newest album (it's all over these CCTV sessions), and I like the sound and simplicity of the unit (no programming is probably good for starting out?), and it looks like they're going for 300-500 online. What units are comparable or recommended for barebones stuff like this?

Any insight / experience / links greatly appreciated, thank you.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Postmaster GBS posted:

l'm looking to pick up a drum machine so that I can loop guitar / sing with a lil drum backing buddy, similar to the video below. I know next to nothing about drum machines and am fishing for suggestions / info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5thhFH6W3ko

I know Foals have been using a Korg KR-55 to write / record a lot of their newest album (it's all over these CCTV sessions), and I like the sound and simplicity of the unit (no programming is probably good for starting out?), and it looks like they're going for 300-500 online. What units are comparable or recommended for barebones stuff like this?

Any insight / experience / links greatly appreciated, thank you.

A KR-55 is probably not a great choice because it's a pretty old/obscure unit, if you had any problems with it it'd be a pain to get serviced etc.

If you want something good-sounding and bare bones, you might want to check out a Volca Beats, which you can get for around $100. Other than that, the BOSS Dr. Rhythm boxes are easy to use but I don't know what kind of drum sounds you're looking for.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Looping a guitar with a drum machine is drat near impossible in my experience. You can time it just about perfect but the guitar loop and drums will go out of sync if given enough time. They make some loopers that accept a midi signal from a drum machine so you the looper will auto sync whatever you record to the drum machine's time. I would look into one of those however it likely won't be cheap but it has been awhile since I was looking. I remember boss made one that does what I'm describing but it was 500 dollars a few years ago. There may be some software or an app that can do this for much cheaper now.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
You could sample drum machine loops into the looper, but yeah that's a good point -- unless you have a way to keep sync between the two devices, they will drift apart.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ableton Live + footswitch could work, the looper on there is well featured and also will always be in time with drum/midi loops.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Thanks all. After doing some reading, it seems that the looper / drum machine drifting apart is a common problem. Others referencing DAWs as well to remedy the latter.

I would have liked to have a dedicated piece of gear to handle the drumming, but it seems impractical.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

e: may still check out a Volca Beats as a cheap / fun inspiration machine

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's a "band in a box" pedal Digitech make:

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_s_detail.asp?stock=15021710304032&gclid=CPSysdjcgssCFYYIwwodVzwDfg

But the beats are pretty prefab. The chord follower might be nice for you though?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Zoom G3 has an inbuilt looper and drum machine, when you make a loop while the drums are playing it automatically syncs the loop to the end of the next beat after you press the stop pedal, so it's like "3 and 4 and *stomp* 1 and..." and the loop keeps playing in time from the 1 beat without any drifting for as long as you want. Fantastic for laying down a beat and progression and then just improvising for hours. It can also do unsynced looping if you leave the drums patterns off if for whatever reason you need less rigid loops.

The drums sound OK, nothing ground breaking, and there are enough patterns to cover most bases if you muck around with the tempo, but the guitar effects are great quality though. There'd have to be some huge development in multifx technology to get me to change away from the G3 anytime soon.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

What do I need for Pro Tools besides the software itself to get sound out of it? It seems they make you get a proprietary card as well.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Singing Chav posted:

What do I need for Pro Tools besides the software itself to get sound out of it? It seems they make you get a proprietary card as well.

Depends on the version, really. There's plenty of versions of PT that don't require proprietary hardware, though I think all of them will likely require some sort of audio interface to perform halfway decently. You can probably get some versions to work pretty well with just an onboard sound card.

Is there a reason you need to use PT specifically? There's tons of other options out there now, and Reaper is much cheaper and likely less hassle with more or less the same capability.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Nearly every studio/rehearsal space that does cheap recordings round here uses Cubase, I'm a recent convert and I really like it, don't feel limited at all even with the Artist version (cheapest upgrade from free-with-interface version).

You will deffo need an interface of some kind if you are planning on any even half serious recordings.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Depends on the version, really. There's plenty of versions of PT that don't require proprietary hardware, though I think all of them will likely require some sort of audio interface to perform halfway decently. You can probably get some versions to work pretty well with just an onboard sound card.

Is there a reason you need to use PT specifically? There's tons of other options out there now, and Reaper is much cheaper and likely less hassle with more or less the same capability.

12.4 or whatever the current one is, studying this stuff and out to be an engineer so I figure ought to have what's used basically everywhere.

Senior Dizzle
Feb 9, 2011
So, I hope this is the right place to post this but I'm having a weird issue with running backup tracks on my tablet. I'm using a Samsung tablet 4 10.0 ( Yeah, I'm cheap as hell) to provide a drum track but I'm getting a loud "THUMP" noise at the beginning and end of every track. It's not so noticeable when I have the headphones on but when I run it through the PA, it's loud as hell. And its just the tablet, my Ipod doesn't do it. I've been all through the setting on the tablet and I have no idea and I really don't want to spend the dough on a new tablet. Any advice would be appreciated.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Does your track start on 1.1.1? Try making it start playing a bar or two into the timeline.

If it's an mp3/wav then render it with an equivalent second of silence at the start, and at the end too.

Don't ask me why this works (I forget) but I've found it normally does if I've got a weird clicky transient on the first beat that shouldn't be there.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 13, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

For some reason I thought guitars used Pythagorean tuning but then I thought about it for a while and realised that doesn't make any sense.
Instruments that do use non-equal-tempered tuning must not be able to play properly in all keys, correct?

Also, I know that the fundamental is technically a harmonic, but do other instruments than guitar allow players to emphasise the overtones, or do they just generally just change the frequency of the fundamental to alter pitch?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

sout posted:

For some reason I thought guitars used Pythagorean tuning but then I thought about it for a while and realised that doesn't make any sense.
Instruments that do use non-equal-tempered tuning must not be able to play properly in all keys, correct?

Correct.

quote:

Also, I know that the fundamental is technically a harmonic, but do other instruments than guitar allow players to emphasise the overtones, or do they just generally just change the frequency of the fundamental to alter pitch?

Not quite sure what you mean here, but emphasizing overtones is kind of how woodwind and brass instruments work. High notes on woodwinds are created by overblowing a fundamental tone to one of the overtones. The fingerings get weird to make the overtone as in tune as possible. Brass instruments only have 3-4 valves (or just a slide) because we're just changing our lips to get out the overtones over the pedal/fundamental tone.

Bowed string instruments (violin, etc) and harp also use overtones - I'm guessing it's a similar technique to guitar but I wouldn't know, because I suuuuuck at guitar. Very common in modern harp music.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hawkgirl posted:

Correct.

Not quite sure what you mean here, but emphasizing overtones is kind of how woodwind and brass instruments work. High notes on woodwinds are created by overblowing a fundamental tone to one of the overtones. The fingerings get weird to make the overtone as in tune as possible. Brass instruments only have 3-4 valves (or just a slide) because we're just changing our lips to get out the overtones over the pedal/fundamental tone.

Bowed string instruments (violin, etc) and harp also use overtones - I'm guessing it's a similar technique to guitar but I wouldn't know, because I suuuuuck at guitar. Very common in modern harp music.

Thanks! I understand my wording was a little odd but i'm still just trying to wrap my head around this stuff.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Senior Dizzle posted:

So, I hope this is the right place to post this but I'm having a weird issue with running backup tracks on my tablet. I'm using a Samsung tablet 4 10.0 ( Yeah, I'm cheap as hell) to provide a drum track but I'm getting a loud "THUMP" noise at the beginning and end of every track. It's not so noticeable when I have the headphones on but when I run it through the PA, it's loud as hell. And its just the tablet, my Ipod doesn't do it. I've been all through the setting on the tablet and I have no idea and I really don't want to spend the dough on a new tablet. Any advice would be appreciated.

It sounds like the app or Android audio driver is probably turning the DAC (digital-to-analog converter) on and off when it's not in use, to conserve power or save CPU cycles.

My easiest suggestion is to look for a different app to trigger the audio clips, something that will leave the audio device open the whole time and not stop/start it. I can't recommend anything specific, but maybe look for a sample player type tool or something targeted specifically for musicians.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Is there a good resource out there to learn about VST file formats? I'm just starting to get into the software side of music and I have no idea wtf I'm doing. What's an .mse file? Why is there a DLL in the zip I downloaded?

I'm playing around with this synth/sequencer/thing sunvox so far and I like the simplicity of it (and that it's free). Apparently it wants .XI files for samplers and AFAICT that's pretty old-school. How do I, or is it even possible to use external VSTs with sunvox?

EDIT: Looks like there's a pretty solid SFZ to XI converter in the sunvox community, and SFZ is an attempt at making a cross platform sample/soundfont format.

redsniper fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 20, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A VST is either an additional instrument such as a synth or sampler or an effect unit like a delay or compressor that you can use in your DAW. A dll is your VST program, put that in your vst folder, thats the thing that Cubase or Live or Reaper or whatever opens into the usable vst instrument or effect. Occasionally the DLL requires additional files for patches or samples which will also be in the zip.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 21, 2016

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

What type of cable or adapter would I want to use to send a stereo mixdown from a Tascam 414 cassette recorder into the 1/4" input of a typical digital interface? Would something like that be an unbalanced or balanced signal? Stereo or instrument cable?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Does anyone here keep a practice log? What do you keep track of? How is it organized? May I see it, or even just a section of it?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What type of cable or adapter would I want to use to send a stereo mixdown from a Tascam 414 cassette recorder into the 1/4" input of a typical digital interface? Would something like that be an unbalanced or balanced signal? Stereo or instrument cable?
1x 2 Male RCA / 2 Male RCA Cable
2x 1 Female RCA / Male 1/4" TS Jack Adapter

Or equivalent. It'll be unbalanced all the way.

Stuff like this works fine on my Quad Capture. What's your interface?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

1x 2 Male RCA / 2 Male RCA Cable
2x 1 Female RCA / Male 1/4" TS Jack Adapter

Or equivalent. It'll be unbalanced all the way.

Stuff like this works fine on my Quad Capture. What's your interface?

Just a little Alesis iO2 right now, though soon upgrading to either a Zoom R16 or a Digi 003

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Just a little Alesis iO2 right now, though soon upgrading to either a Zoom R16 or a Digi 003
Yeah, that should work with all of those.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

redsniper posted:

Why is there a DLL in the zip I downloaded?

Imagine a classic studio. Its centerpiece is a big-rear end mixing desk. There you are, with your synth in your hand, and you want to play. Now, you're not a complete scrub, so your synth has no such thing as on-board speakers :v:

In order to hear anything, the synth needs to be connected to the mixing desk.

That's probably as close as you can get with an analogy for all this stuff. A plugin doesn't make sound by itself - it does output sound, but it needs to send it somewhere. If a plugin doesn't have a dinky on-screen keyboard, it gets even worse because somewhere, the signals should come from that tell the plugin which notes it should play.

All of that is handled by the host. The plugin hooks into the host. Your MIDI controller sends the notes that should be played to the host and the host then pipes those through to the plugin. The plugin's audio goes out of the plugin into the big-rear end host's mixing desk, and from there out, the host sends the audio signal to the soundcard which are then hooked up to your speakers or headphones. Voila - sound!

.dll is in that sense not different from a plain old .exe file, except the idea is that you don't ever run that .dll file by itself. You open your host and let the host load it up.

Even plugins which have a standalone version - that standalone version is basically the plugin running in a very thin layer of "host" baked around them - after all, something should be responsible to handle the incoming and outgoing signal flow. Think of some idiot programmer building a plugin that would hog the soundcard all for itself - there'd be no way to run different plugins simultaneously.

quote:

I'm playing around with this synth/sequencer/thing sunvox so far and I like the simplicity of it (and that it's free). Apparently it wants .XI files for samplers and AFAICT that's pretty old-school. How do I, or is it even possible to use external VSTs with sunvox?
It says in http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/#features that .wav files are supported by the sampler. .xi is likely in there just so people used to FastTracker II can be happy (evidently because it also has .xm support).

I don't see anything about VST support in there so just get Reaper as well, or if you're bent on punishing yourself with trackers, Renoise.

A soundfont works like most sampler files work. You get a collection of .wav files - usually packed into a single blob and a small file with instructions that contains things like "play piano_060_127.wav at its default speed if someone hits the middle C key at full force". This is how all samplers since the dawn of time have functioned, pretty much - except for very primitive ones that could only have one sample at a time in memory and didn't know about velocities/splits/layers or multisampling, because there the instructions would always be "transpose x notes up or down and play at full volume * (velocity/128)". (see Fairlight, Emulator I).

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 27, 2016

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Can anyone recommend a free or cheap drum machine for Windows? I have all the samples that I want to use to program drums, but I used to use the FruityLoops demo to make them. I like the FL drum machine, except that you can't save anything in the demo, so you have to reset and re-import everything, every time. And I'm not paying $100 for FruityLoops just to use the drum machine and nothing else.
I tried googling "free drum machine" or "open source drum machine", but you get a lot of sketchy looking websites full of pop-ups and poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Are you looking for a standalone solution, or some sort of plugin? Is it about loading up some wavs, or is the step sequencer the essence?

Anyway, I just had a flashback to the late nineties, where Rubberduck DrumStation was a shitload of fun and it's free now, so that's somewhere to start anyway :) Not as versatile as FL by any stretch of the imagination, of course.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Get Reaper (free DAW, lots of goons recommended) or a free VST host then get something like http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/01/16/thedrumsource-a-freeware-drum-machine-vst-plugin-by-ola-wistedt-and-mats-lindfors/

You can either use the sequencer in Reaper or I picked this plug in as it has one built in in case you go the pure vst host route. Loads of free sample packs for drums out on the net if you need them. Musicradar is a good place to start

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Are you looking for a standalone solution, or some sort of plugin? Is it about loading up some wavs, or is the step sequencer the essence?

Anyway, I just had a flashback to the late nineties, where Rubberduck DrumStation was a shitload of fun and it's free now, so that's somewhere to start anyway :) Not as versatile as FL by any stretch of the imagination, of course.

Well, I was thinking standalone just because that's how I did it with FL (make beat, export .wav, put finished drum loop into DAW to play over) but I guess whatever works.

I just got a new computer and moved into a new house, so I'm rethinking my recording process from scratch. Is there a cheap drum pad (midi, I guess) I could buy to just play the beats myself, rather than have to place squares in a sequencer?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you're already using a DAW, I highly recommend finding something that integrates with that. The VST thread can probably help you with that, but most DAWs have a plugin that comes with the product for triggering drum samples at least. Always worth looking into, especially if you're rethinking your process anyway.

Drum pads made for playing with sticks don't come cheap, but if you're ok with finger tapping on small squares, the there's cheap stuff from Akai, Novation or the Korg Nanopad.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Jazz Marimba posted:

Does anyone here keep a practice log? What do you keep track of? How is it organized? May I see it, or even just a section of it?

For a while I kept my practice log in a notebook, but I didn't like it because it's usually in the wrong room and it's hard to get a summary of what you've been working on.

My current practice log is in Trello. It's easy to see at a glance what I'm currently working on. The colour labels are red for exercises, green for tunes I'm working on and yellow for teaching material I'm going through (blue is for music production stuff).

I keep the progress for a given exercise, book or course up to date inside that ticket.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I have an e-drum kit and a keyboard, both of which have MIDI cables strung over to my audio interface. Neither of them has MIDI Thru and the interface only has one MIDI input, so right now if I want to switch between them I have to unplug one and plug in the other. What do I need to be able to switch back and forth between them without plugging/unplugging things? Searching for a MIDI switch just gives me a bunch of MIDI control pedals that cost over a hundred bucks and don't look like they even do what I want, but I can't think of what else to call this theoretical box that I can't imagine costs more than ten or twenty bucks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

CaptainViolence posted:

I have an e-drum kit and a keyboard, both of which have MIDI cables strung over to my audio interface. Neither of them has MIDI Thru and the interface only has one MIDI input, so right now if I want to switch between them I have to unplug one and plug in the other. What do I need to be able to switch back and forth between them without plugging/unplugging things? Searching for a MIDI switch just gives me a bunch of MIDI control pedals that cost over a hundred bucks and don't look like they even do what I want, but I can't think of what else to call this theoretical box that I can't imagine costs more than ten or twenty bucks.
Selector seems the word used here https://www.meershop.nl/accessoires/philip-rees-2s?language=en
I found it googling for "midi kvm" which could be another useful term for searching.

Alternatively, for slightly over twice that amount, you can get a midi merger like the Miditech 4merge USB, which lets you use your kit and keyboard simultaneously, which is the way I would go.

Sorry for the euro links.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Flipperwaldt posted:

Selector seems the word used here https://www.meershop.nl/accessoires/philip-rees-2s?language=en
I found it googling for "midi kvm" which could be another useful term for searching.

Alternatively, for slightly over twice that amount, you can get a midi merger like the Miditech 4merge USB, which lets you use your kit and keyboard simultaneously, which is the way I would go.

Sorry for the euro links.

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does your edrum kit not have a USB port? I thought prettymuch everything supported midi over usb these days.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

For a while I kept my practice log in a notebook, but I didn't like it because it's usually in the wrong room and it's hard to get a summary of what you've been working on.

My current practice log is in Trello. It's easy to see at a glance what I'm currently working on. The colour labels are red for exercises, green for tunes I'm working on and yellow for teaching material I'm going through (blue is for music production stuff).

I keep the progress for a given exercise, book or course up to date inside that ticket.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I'm getting a Windows-capable Mac ready for home production work (mainly just running Cubase). I don't really care much for Mac OS, though. Any reason I should stick to it vs. Windows?