Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Alternatively who gives a poo poo?

God forbid we notice a thing that is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

I too hate when pulp comics from the 70s steal from videogames, the one true art form.

One of the most derivative works of fiction of the 21st century, no less. Talking about Mass Effect like it put the first foot forward in anything, smh.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It looks a tad dull, which is a bummer given how back in the 90's Besson gathered an amazing team to do 5th Element

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That doesn't mean it isn't happening.

It kinda does, the costumes in the movie isn't even that different from the comics: http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Valerian-Comic-Book-Luc-Besson.jpg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It kinda does, the costumes in the movie isn't even that different from the comics: http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Valerian-Comic-Book-Luc-Besson.jpg

Those costume designs are almost completely different beyond the basest similarities.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Those don't look anything like the promo photos besides being a type of clothing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

God forbid we notice a thing that is happening.
Beyond noticing, what's the point? Why should anyone care that the costumes in the movie look like Mass Effect outfits?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Beyond noticing, what's the point? Why should anyone care that the costumes in the movie look like Mass Effect outfits?

The intended thought process from the person who made that image is probably:

these costumes look kind of like a video game
v
the movie obviously copied the game design
v
the movie will exhibit a dearth of creativity elsewhere, as evidenced by costumes
v
movie will be a plagiarized pile of crap
v
help me complain about it

(rule does not apply when it's their favorite superhero costume/story that's being evaluated for creativity/originality though)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

You seem greatly invested in this. I just think it's slightly amusing that particular costume and the movie title looks so much like Mass Effect. Taking notice of it is the point.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They look like the costumes from the Lost in Space movie to me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

i honestly doesn't care if they look similar or not. I just think it's cool that someone is making a Valerian and Laureline movie, especially since that someone is Luc Besson. The guy clearly has a lot of love when it comes to French comics.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You seem greatly invested in this.
Yeah I'm super invested, that's why the extent of my posts has been "who cares" and "why should I care", I'm clearly frothing over it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah I'm super invested, that's why the extent of my posts has been "who cares" and "why should I care", I'm clearly frothing over it.

Since nobody is imploring you to care about it, yeah it seems weird.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

New Empire limited edition X-Men cover.

Empire has single-handedly brought us into the gold foil era of comic book movies. Their covers are X-Cutioner's Song as hell!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

They look like the costumes from the Lost in Space movie to me.

The suits are so generic "space suit/armor combo" that it is barely worth mentioning.

The effect of the slash through the title is considerably more damning imo, that seems like a really distinct design (although I'm sure it has some precedent elsewhere, but here it seems intentionally evocative of like a rocket parabola which is a neat bit of design in the original)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One of the most derivative works of fiction of the 21st century, no less. Talking about Mass Effect like it put the first foot forward in anything, smh.

Agreed I looooove Mass Effect but it looks like pulp 70/80s sci-fi book covers/comics by design, like that was their stated goal of the series' visual design and that's cool as hell but not particularly inventive. I think X-Men outfits were even mentioned specifically in one developer interview.

Either way the form of media doesn't matter, costume design stuff is always going to cross pollinate so that even if the creators of this X-Men movie never even heard of Mass Effect, some light similarity is inevitable because both are popular sci-fi things. If I had to pick a specific thing I'd say the outfits are closer to something like what a lot of the aliens would wear in early to mid 90s Star Trek stuff. It's interesting to try to trace but in reality rare for something like this to have a singular influence.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 25, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Guys, you're both the prettiest, and you both don't care equally about it.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

The MSJ posted:

Luc Besson introducing his Valerian and Laureline

:getin:

EW Interview

Luc Besson posted:

His name is K-Tron. He’s a police officer. You can’t even deal with him. You don’t argue with him.
:black101:

:wtc: Bit of a Fifth Element feel here?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Definitely, but Cara Delevigne is way hotter than Milla Jovovich ever was in her pomp and thats all that matters really.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That last picture do look like they are on a cruise or at a resort. Very 5th Element indeed.

New X-Men costume photo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Well that Luc Besson movie looks rad as gently caress

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is this a standard geth or is it cool like Legion

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Costumes have never been the X-Men film franchise's strong suit.

Valerian is looking real good though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let's hope the movie keeps up the tradition of Valerian the time-cop from the future being kind of a dope and Laureline the medieval peasant girl being the smarter one who gets things done.

Edit: Also if the Shingouz aren't in there I will scream.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 26, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gorn Myson posted:

Definitely, but Cara Delevigne is way hotter than Milla Jovovich ever was in her pomp and thats all that matters really.

Eh. You had to be there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Proposition Joe posted:

Costumes have never been the X-Men film franchise's strong suit.

Ridiculous. The style of the X-Men costumes in the first movie made people realize you could do something other than molded rubber or spandex.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Strongly disagree

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Eh. You had to be there.
I was, I actually saw Fifth Element at the cinema when it came out.

Cara Delevingne over Milla Jovovich any day of the week.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The MSJ posted:

That last picture do look like they are on a cruise or at a resort. Very 5th Element indeed.

New X-Men costume photo.

That nightcrawler is amazing.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Ridiculous. The style of the X-Men costumes in the first movie made people realize you could do something other than molded rubber or spandex.

On the other hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3IFAjV2tvg

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Even in Paper Towns I wondered what the big deal about Cara was when Halston Sage was hotter than a billion super nova. Protagonist would have taken one look and her and movie would end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I find Cara Delevingne's eyebrows unsettling. They make her look constantly reproving and I've done nothing to deserve that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Phylodox posted:

I find Cara Delevingne's eyebrows unsettling. They make her look constantly reproving and I've done nothing to deserve that.

Absolutely. I take my kid to the mall and there she is staring at me. Her eyebrows follow me around.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Eh. You had to be there.

Jovovich is still hot too. But Delevigne is probably still the hottest Swift Squad member.

New TMNT2 trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAbHjQmOqC8

And posters.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
KRANG.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Bebop is going to be loving terrible. We should all try guessing which turtle is going to try to out-street talk him.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 26, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's going to be one of the best summer blockbusters in years. Cannot wait!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gorn Myson posted:

Haha, not a loving chance.

Cara Delevingne looks like a man undergoing hormone therapy.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Deakul posted:

Haha, not a loving chance.

Cara Delevingne looks like a man undergoing hormone therapy.

Christ, did her eyebrows kill your parents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Equeen posted:

Christ, did her eyebrows kill your parents?

I don't want to talk about it.

• Locked thread