Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Agreed. Lol at anyone who is 4+ generations removed from their European ancestry and thinks it means a drat thing. "I'm Irish," lol. Just lol.

"Heh well I'm Irish, I can handle a few drinks"

"I have an eye for technical poo poo, must be german in me :smug:"

"I like really lovely boiled food, because I'm British (from the Mayflower)"

I agree with this. Especially the people that are like "Well, I'm 1/16 French, 1/16 Cherokee, 3/8 Polish, and 1/4 German and 1/4 Irish" It's great to know where you are from, but seriously don't loving try to sound like a know it all because you have some type of genealogy in you.

My dad was born from parents coming directly from Norway. He was given up for adoption, and his birth mom doesn't want anything to do with him (she said "Don't ever contact me again" when he reached out to her like 5 years ago). That makes me 3rd Generation Norweigan which I claim wholly because my mom is a slutmutt and has a whirlwind of whatever.

My sons are second generation Albanian and fourth generation Norwegian. Thats it. Screw my mom's side of the family tree.

Real Talk: If I wanted to be an expat and move to Germany, since my son is technically German would it be easy to get citizenship over there as his caretaker?

edit:

Burt posted:

There's currently an English rugby player looking at a world of poo poo because he called a Welsh player with "traveler" blood "Gypsy Boy".

Apart from the fact that travelers are supposed to be gypsy I haven't met one single person who doesn't think it's well overblown and what he should have said was "sheep shagging thieving pikey oval office".

My wife's family HHHAAAAATTTEEEESSSS Gypsies. Like they loving loathe them. They do everything save spit on them on the street. I got saved by getting mugged or shook down for money from them when I visited and wandered off somewhere to get a picture of Skanderbeu with the Albanian flag. These two gypsies came up and pretty much said I owed them money for taking a picture. Brother in law comes over and starts yelling at them. They were just kids, like 10-12, and I'm positive my brother in law would have fought them had they been older.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i smoke like two packs a day. Starting to wonder if maybe there is some French or Italian in my blood?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

i smoke like two packs a day. Starting to wonder if maybe there is some French or Italian in my blood?

Definitely Italian if you like pasta and say every pasta dish in a over the top accent.

Mah-cah-REH-nah!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
thats-a-spicey-a-meatball I always exclaim, and then chuckle. heh i'm italian i know good italian when i see it - said while eating and enjoying olive garden by probably a lot of americans

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How greasy are you?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

How greasy are you?

More importantly how much chest hair.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My dad was an adopted war baby. My daughter keeps bugging me about 'what is he??' but even he doesn't know nor does he even care and thats good enough for me.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Agreed. Lol at anyone who is 4+ generations removed from their European ancestry and thinks it means a drat thing. "I'm Irish," lol. Just lol.

"Heh well I'm Irish, I can handle a few drinks"

"I have an eye for technical poo poo, must be german in me :smug:"

"I like really lovely boiled food, because I'm British (from the Mayflower)"

Allow me to caveat off that sir, every chick of Irish descent I've met off Tinder has gotten shitfaced and then wanted to gently caress like my seed would retroactively cure the potato famine

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
My mom loving loves getting lit and telling us to respect the Cherokee in our blood or whatever. But when you look at the family tree you realize her great grandmother was full of poo poo and not a fullblooded Indian, just creole. Andy Jackson had already marched out the Cherokee by the time she got knocked up by great (x2) grampa

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's confirmation bias, but it seemed like every fucker from the south I met in the army would always say some poo poo about how they're part Cherokee or Choctaw or whatever the gently caress.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

Maybe it's confirmation bias, but it seemed like every fucker from the south I met in the army would always say some poo poo about how they're part Cherokee or Choctaw or whatever the gently caress.

well, everyone from the south is pretty dumb, and I'm willing to bet they heard the joke about having a race in their family tree, and took it at face value

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anyone ever brag about the black side of their family due Ol' Pappy Cracker not being able to stay out of the female slaves quarters?

Pretty much the same time period.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
we thought my grampa was part indian but then my grandparents did one of those DNA swab things and it turns out he's not even a little bit.

Gramma was smug cuz she wasn't as much neandrethal as grampa

I explained that meant more of her ancestors came more recently from africa

SAY poo poo NOW

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Bunch of rubbish. After a few generations if you are Irish, congrats without knowing your last name you are White.
But if your black you are always Black.

Yeah, Irish weren't actually considered white if you can believe that. They were less valuable with slaves...slaves were a financial investment, while there was a neverending sea of Irish looking for work even if it carried a lousy mortality rate.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Yeah, Irish weren't actually considered white if you can believe that. They were less valuable with slaves...slaves were a financial investment, while there was a neverending sea of Irish looking for work even if it carried a lousy mortality rate.

I took a black studies course (it doubled as an English credit) and they said the biggest reason the British didn't import Irish slaves was that they were impossible to keep track of if they escaped and/or intermarried.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

I mean, I took sociology 110 so I know about Irish and Chinese being the "new friend of the family" post Civil War, and yes the Irish had some challenges (as did the germans, the Italians (WOPs!)) but to pretend that any american today has any sort of connection to that or whatever is total bullshit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

I understand that but what I'm trying to convey is after a few generations you simply can't tell who was from were if European. Throw a black parent in the mix and you could carry the possible stigma for 4 or more generations even if every other parent is white.
One Irish direct relative isn't going to change anything to an all euro family tree.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

One Irish direct relative isn't going to change anything to an all euro family tree.
Degeneracy and and a poor understanding of Irish history seem like pretty good indicators to me.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
im gonna pretend im descended from william the conquerer, since my maternal grandmas family name is a french canadian mutation of a name thats common in normandy, and my maternal grandpas family comes from calabira, which is the first italian land roger de hauteville conquered. dunno bout my dads side too much other than he had a german as gently caress last name so who can say

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
my last name is like st. patricks fukken chariot driver, suck my dick, peasant since the beginning

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
to celebrate my norman heritage im gonna go get a haircut like my ancestors wouldve had

its like the most hosed up barracks cut

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

to celebrate my norman heritage im gonna go get a haircut like my ancestors wouldve had

its like the most hosed up barracks cut

lmao that one black dude said he worked at a barber shop tho

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I mean, I took sociology 110 so I know about Irish and Chinese being the "new friend of the family" post Civil War, and yes the Irish had some challenges (as did the germans, the Italians (WOPs!)) but to pretend that any american today has any sort of connection to that or whatever is total bullshit.

gently caress that, I want my tatereparations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Soulex posted:

Real Talk: If I wanted to be an expat and move to Germany, since my son is technically German would it be easy to get citizenship over there as his caretaker?

How technically German is he?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How technically German is he?

duzzy funlop so german he has a harem of korean girls

i think thats the deal anyway??

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Soulex posted:

Does your son have German citizenship? Is he still a minor?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
They've traced my family back to colonial America on one side of my family so gently caress figuring out how German/French/whatever there, and on the other side I'm technically 1st generation because my great grandparents were Basque and left Spain because they didn't want to get killed, had my grandma in Mexico, and my dad was born in Saudi Arabia.

I just tell people I'm 1/4 Mexican, then I don't have to explain for 10 minutes my dumb family history.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I tell people I'm American usually. Kinda weird going to Ireland and saying I'm Irish if my family hasn't been there in 100 years.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm white, so my privilege includes not having to know or care where my forebears came from

I met a few people in Ireland and Italy who tried asking me where my family was from, and it seemed like I put a wrinkle in the natural flow of the conversation when I refused to say I was [Irish/Italian]. Especially in Ireland, there was a pretty major expectation that Americans will claim to be "Irish." I always just shrug and say I'm white and everyone in my family is natural-born American and other poo poo doesn't really matter to me

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm on the Irish foreign birth registry or whatever the frig it's called. I qualify for an Irish passport and I've never considered calling myself irish. I find it really, really odd that all these people claim to be irish because... it makes them exotic or something? You gotta be a plain, whitebread motherfucker if you're saying a vague possibly - possibly not - irish ancestor makes you more interesting.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

not caring here posted:

I'm on the Irish foreign birth registry or whatever the frig it's called. I qualify for an Irish passport and I've never considered calling myself irish. I find it really, really odd that all these people claim to be irish because... it makes them exotic or something? You gotta be a plain, whitebread motherfucker if you're saying a vague possibly - possibly not - irish ancestor makes you more interesting.

It's an American thing, the lower your birth the more "real" it makes you. People claim irish because they were hated and persecuted and American's eat that poo poo up. Because if the powers that be hated grandpa it somehow makes you a rebel thats fought from nothing to become something, even when that something is trailer trash who does their grocery shopping with scratcher winnings at the 7-11

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's an American thing, the lower your birth the more "real" it makes you. People claim irish because they were hated and persecuted and American's eat that poo poo up. Because if the powers that be hated grandpa it somehow makes you a rebel thats fought from nothing to become something, even when that something is trailer trash who does their grocery shopping with scratcher winnings at the 7-11

I thought Americans claim Irish because it gives them an excuse to dress like morons and drink terrible green beer.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That seems to fit so well it hurts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My wife's mothers side of the family are proud Irish living just like their ancestors. Off the grid with no water, paved road, electricity, sewage or phone lines in a house made of (stolen) telephone poles and whatever junk they could find in the desert. The "guest" house on the property is three double wides strapped together. One of the sons is the Army cousin who couldn't even pass the ASVAB.

Irish pride!

My turd of a biological sperm donor has a nicer shack in Mexicali.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
My dad's side was from Austria, but that part is now in Italy so I like to tease my "Italian" friends by saying I'm Italian too, and got here earlier to boot!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My family on both sides is just straight up English American going all the way back to the 1660's with a couple Scottish and German surnames popping up every once in a while. The first person in my family born in America was orphaned by the age of 5 because one parent was killed in an Indian raid and the other from an illness of some sort. He ended up doing pretty good for himself though, was able to pass on several thousand acres to his descendants.

I guess my family was never particularly religious because they never seemed to stick with one for longer than a generation or two.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Dutch as gently caress.

As in, Grandma's dad (A judge and politician) was a hostage of ZE GESTAPO for good behaviour. Her brother said "lol sorry dad" and joined the resistance, got an awesome code name and everything (Axel). Grandpa got taken as a laborer and put onto a farm in Bavaria, the both of them worked for English Intelligence after the war translating POW letters from German to English.

Their lives were loving fascinating, all the poo poo they saw and places they went. Basically they were the last of the Colonials.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Half Norwegian, quarter German, some other stuff. Both grandfathers were full Norwegian, grandmothers were a mix of German and other stuff. Great-grandpa Radon left Norway to avoid conscription in the army, then a few years later got a draft notice for WW1. But the war ended and he didn't actually have to do anything. He also built a fishing boat without any plans, apparently just thinking about what he was going to do the next day before he went to bed. A while later he and his brother sawed it in half and added another 10' to it. Then he sold it to some other guys who got drunk one time and sank it.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
A while back one of my relatives decided to do one of the ancestry things. We turned out to be epic mutts. Pretty much everything but east Asian and African, but we've married into those in the last couple of generations.

When people start those conversations I just say "We have transcended white trash. We have assimilated all trash."

chemosh6969 posted:

I'm an old single white cat lady that has 1/100000000th blood of the Cherokee running through my veins. We need to respect the world as my ancestors did. Anyone interested in buying some of my CDs full of Native American music? I play the flute.

Have you considered politics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Dmaonk posted:

Does your son have German citizenship? Is he still a minor?

Born in a German hospital so I think yes. Also yes