Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Cherry pickers like that are on craigslist all the time, too. Guys buy them, use them for one project, and they sit in the corner until the wife makes them get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

That might work.

I'll have to wait a day or two because it's raining like a monsoon here.

A 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood does a decent job of supporting them, ask how I know...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sharkytm posted:

A 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood does a decent job of supporting them, ask how I know...

How do you know...

I've found the shop I'm going to get to do the engine.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here's what we've got now:

There is a hole in the case here. I don't know what caused it, I hope it can be fixed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Might be easier to replace the bellhousing than trying to repair it, unless they're rare as hen's teeth?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It looks like the crack continues down out of sight. That bellhousing is probably shot unless it's somehow weldable. I don't know what it's made of though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Godholio posted:

It looks like the crack continues down out of sight. That bellhousing is probably shot unless it's somehow weldable. I don't know what it's made of though.

Does anyone here know where I can get a diagram of the GPW frame? My frame guy is wanting to know exact measurements for bumper placement and such.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I googled "GPW Jeep service manual" and this was the top few results: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B55CZRk-1XxzOTE3M2RkOTEtODc3ZC00ZTZkLTg5YTYtMzNiOGZhYmY3ZGZi/edit?ddrp=1

It may not have exactly what you're looking for but it looks like a ton of good info. Similar searches may yield something with the measurements you're looking for.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If the top has been off that transmission for as long as the jeep has been immobile, you probably need a new transmission as well anyways. That isn't looking good.

Make sure the hole in the bellhousing isn't factory (could be for a clutch lever or something maybe? but I doubt it) but that also looks bad and probably is not worth saving.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kastein posted:

If the top has been off that transmission for as long as the jeep has been immobile, you probably need a new transmission as well anyways. That isn't looking good.

I'm anxious to get it out and see. It looks very greasy and grimy, but all the levers move and seem to lock securely in place. Perhaps I'll do it Saturday.

Edit: What do you think it's destroyed? I honestly don't know much about this stuff, but the internal gears are all still shiny (after you wipe the grease off) and I can shift the gears and turn the drive shaft. All the internal gears spin easily.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 21, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I assumed it was full of water. Maybe there's a chance it's not too horrible in there.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Godholio posted:

I assumed it was full of water. Maybe there's a chance it's not too horrible in there.

It's full of some horrible kind of viscus goop that I can only assume is old transmission fluid?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was assuming it was full of dirt and rust based on the top being off and the condition of the body - if all the parts clean up nicely, I am wrong and all it probably needs is a reseal, regasket, and maybe some new bearings.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kastein posted:

I was assuming it was full of dirt and rust based on the top being off and the condition of the body - if all the parts clean up nicely, I am wrong and all it probably needs is a reseal, regasket, and maybe some new bearings.

Yeah, I don't know how it escaped destruction. I'm guessing it was all sealed up until after my grandfather put it in the shed.

I'll post some detail shots of it today.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Got the starter off.

Here's the transmission.

I'm still trying to work out how to remove the transmission. The videos I'm finding on youtube are all "Let's get this transmission off so we can work on it." followed by a cut and the transmission laying on their work bench.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The important thing is to think like the people who would have serviced the vehicle in the first place.

If you have a German friend, get them to fire their family Luger over your head once every five to seven minutes while swearing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you have a German friend, get them to fire their family Luger over your head once every five to seven minutes while swearing.

No, but I think I can find some Italians.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Won't work, they'll alternate between helping and hurting you as the project unfolds.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The important thing is to think like the people who would have serviced the vehicle in the first place.

More like find some dozen single women with little factory experience to each learn a very small amount of the disassembly process from watching a ww2 era instructional reel and then set them at it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Godholio posted:

The mechanic looked at it today. The crack does extend, but he says it's no problem because it's just steel and can be welded.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Looks like cast iron to me (I doubt anyone would cast a bellhousing from steel...), but could be cast steel I guess.

Either way, cast iron can be brazed easily enough and cast steel can be MIG welded with very little prep.

e: Those gears in the transmission look pretty chewed up, at least what appears to be the reverse slider, but fortunately I bet every single part of that is available brand new if needed.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 28, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kastein posted:

e: Those gears in the transmission look pretty chewed up, at least what appears to be the reverse slider, but fortunately I bet every single part of that is available brand new if needed.

They might be, it was treated pretty bad over the years.

You're right. There are entire rebuild kits out there that I'm looking at.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

spacetoaster posted:

They might be, it was treated pretty bad over the years.

You're right. There are entire rebuild kits out there that I'm looking at.

I think you picked one of the best ones to do a rebuild on, it looks pretty drat simple.

Really this whole project is awesome. Jeeps are easy projects just because of the sheer parts and community support.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok! It's too much freaking work to remove the transmission and the engine in the backyard!

I'm putting the wheels BACK ON and rolling it back onto my driveway. I guess that'll be fine because everything but the axles is getting sent off to various shops anyway.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

OK. It's been forever and I fell off the work wagon and got busy with my kids, work, whatever. Excuses aside. I'm back to posting updates.

I'm still waiting to get the engine rebuilt. The shop I'm going with is very busy, but very good. I'm not some dude with a sports car and a stack of cash so I have to wait. A long time apparently.

While waiting, I've started on whatever else I have laying around.

Here is the rear axle differential:

It looked, and SMELLED, like a freaking garbage pit.

Here it is after lot's of cleaning:

This was a lot more work, and time, than I would ever have thought. But it looks good now.

Here's the inside of the cover:

I think it's pretty cool that Ford stamped their little cursive F on everything.

Even some of the bolts and pins had that F on them.

Here it is after a complete cleaning, and I primed the cover too.

Next up will be cleaning, and priming, the rest of the housing and axle. I've got to remove the drums and do brake work as well. And that will wrap up the rear axle.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Old diff oil is the worst smelling automotive fluid.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You Am I posted:

Old diff oil is the worst smelling automotive fluid.

I had no idea. It hit me in the face like a physical thing. And there was "stuff" in it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
When my dad tells stories of driving jeeps in Vietnam, he always tells me when you got into a Ford jeep, you needed an extra differential because it was going to blow on you. Now mind you, I've never questioned how the hell they swapped that out in the field and whether or not that was the source of the constant grenading.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

StormDrain posted:

When my dad tells stories of driving jeeps in Vietnam, he always tells me when you got into a Ford jeep, you needed an extra differential because it was going to blow on you. Now mind you, I've never questioned how the hell they swapped that out in the field and whether or not that was the source of the constant grenading.

More likely that was the fault of the Vietnamese :v:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My next step with the rear axle is to remove, and clean up, the brake drums.

Using a wire brush attachment on my power drill I managed to get enough of the caked on red-mud off the axle to give me a heavy coat of it.

Both axle shafts have been removed, cleaned, and the caps painted with grey primer (my hands were too filthy at the time to take a photo). They don't look very worn at all to me.

I'm stuck right now because I don't have the tool to remove that huge nut (there's two on each side) that will let me remove the bearings and the drum. My neighbor has it, but I can't get it til Easter is over.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks suspiciously like the 2" nut Land Rover axles have.

The good news is thay're normally not that tight, their primary purpose is to preload/lock the bearings in place.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

InitialDave posted:

Looks suspiciously like the 2" nut Land Rover axles have.

Just tried a 2". This thing is bigger than that socket.

Unfortunately, that was the biggest socket in the set. I'll make the rounds on my neighbors shops next week.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

StormDrain posted:

Well did he mean an actual Ford jeep like a GPW left over from ww2 or a ford manf. M151 "mutt" with an independent rear axle? That could be easier.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If you open the drums, wear a ventilator and wet everything down with a poo poo ton of brake clean to keep dust down. Its quite possible there is still some asbestos in them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, I picked up the willys socket for that nut for 12 bucks. Worked like a charm.

The drums are now off.

The bearings and seals are pitted and just in poor condition. I'm headed to the auto store to snag new ones.

The bearings/seals are new (as in not 1944), so I'm guessing my grandfather replaced them at some point. But the seals went bad and water got in there.

Hoping to get the drums cleaned up, primed, install the new bearings and press the new seals in today.

Then, it'll be time to do brake stuff.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You may be a self-abuser but I respect what you're doing here.

Those drums :gonk:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Astonishing Wang posted:

You may be a self-abuser but I respect what you're doing here.

Those drums :gonk:

Sprayed brake cleaner on it, followed by pressure washer. They look pretty good now.

Unfortunately the bearings and seals have to be special ordered. So I'll have to do that another day.

Does anyone know if I paint the inside of those drums? Not the braking surface, but the other stuff? Do I just leave the inside all bare metal?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Clean it up and leave it alone is the easy way - cleaning it up and painting it will just make it easier for the next time. Do you want to have a dirty little secret that only you know about? Paint a boob inside that thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wow, that looks like a hell of a lot of work you have lined up, but it should be fun.

BTW - rather than using a wire wheel in your hand drill, go to Harbor Freight and get a few packs of 4.5" knotted wire wheels for a 4.5" angle grinder, then get a decent quality 4.5" angle grinder. Rust and paint practically evaporates under them instead of taking actual effort like a drill+wire wheel does.

Keep your tender bits that you want in their OEM configuration (fingers, face, giblets) out of the plane of the wire wheel and wear safety goggles, heavy duty pants/shirt, and welding gloves plus maybe a respirator though. There's no telling what's in that paint and those drums are almost certainly asbestos. And wire wheels on angle grinders like to throw wires - if you're wearing heavy jeans they'll stick in the denim and maybe prod you hard, but if you're wearing shorts, they'll actually stab 1/8" into your leg if they happen to hit you right.

It's still worth the extra suiting up required vs a drill, simply because it does a much better job of cleaning in a tenth the time+effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Wow, that looks like a hell of a lot of work you have lined up, but it should be fun.

BTW - rather than using a wire wheel in your hand drill, go to Harbor Freight and get a few packs of 4.5" knotted wire wheels for a 4.5" angle grinder, then get a decent quality 4.5" angle grinder. Rust and paint practically evaporates under them instead of taking actual effort like a drill+wire wheel does.

Keep your tender bits that you want in their OEM configuration (fingers, face, giblets) out of the plane of the wire wheel and wear safety goggles, heavy duty pants/shirt, and welding gloves plus maybe a respirator though. There's no telling what's in that paint and those drums are almost certainly asbestos. And wire wheels on angle grinders like to throw wires - if you're wearing heavy jeans they'll stick in the denim and maybe prod you hard, but if you're wearing shorts, they'll actually stab 1/8" into your leg if they happen to hit you right.

It's still worth the extra suiting up required vs a drill, simply because it does a much better job of cleaning in a tenth the time+effort.

Seconding this. I did the drill and wire brush cup like a sucker for a while until I picked up an HF grinder. Holy poo poo what a difference. Absolutely cover any skin you don't want perforated, though. I was fine with jeans and a thick sweatshirt, but I'm still finding wires in my garage. If you've got an HF nearby, drop the 25-30 bucks on a grinder and wheels and go nuts.

Edit: If you do this, do yourself a favor and pick up some earplugs, too. Wires slamming into metal at ~10k rpm for long periods of time can get kinda loud and irritating.

• Locked thread