Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skaw posted:

Certainly developed the political opinions of a Teen Girl. Good job, Microsoft.
It’s learning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

You don't design the next 50 years of capability based around the adversaries you're fighting today, right now. That's what Gates did when he cut the F-22 buy in favor of the F-35s and seriously compromised us in the event of a real war against a near-peer.

The B-2 and B-1 have actually been very useful aircraft for close air support. Yeah, the stealth technology is pretty much wasted against them, but the stealth technology would be just as wasted sitting in a hangar, you might as well use their range, payload, and precision delivery.

But then, what is the difference between an expensive military tech project that is absolutely necessary and will help us fight the war of the future, and an expensive military tech project that is a waste of money that could be used for something else?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Maxwell Lord posted:

But then, what is the difference between an expensive military tech project that is absolutely necessary and will help us fight the war of the future, and an expensive military tech project that is a waste of money that could be used for something else?

That's sort of what people spend their careers trying to figure out, and what you elect them to determine. Given the fallibility of human foresight sometimes you don't find out until you've already hosed up.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Phanatic posted:

You don't design the next 50 years of capability based around the adversaries you're fighting today, right now. That's what Gates did when he cut the F-22 buy in favor of the F-35s and seriously compromised us in the event of a real war against a near-peer.

The B-2 and B-1 have actually been very useful aircraft for close air support. Yeah, the stealth technology is pretty much wasted against them, but the stealth technology would be just as wasted sitting in a hangar, you might as well use their range, payload, and precision delivery.
What near-peer exists that wouldn't be screwed if we weren't selling them weapons? Which one exists that we aren't selling weapons to that would actually rival us in 15-20 years even if we completely stopped all new acquisition and development?

Also the overwhelming majority of the time, militaries do just that, plan based on current conditions. It's the reason we've had such a hard time fighting guerrilla wars in the Middle East, because we don't have the training or equipment for it because everything is based around conventional warfare. The F-22 was designed and built during the Cold War to combat the proposed MiG. The Soviet Union collapsed, we built it anyway. Your other point is off base also. It's not "do we use the B-2 or let it sit there," it's "we're designing a new plane, does it need these features that the last one never needed."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's one from my childhood. An ad for a bubble bath that starts with an animated little girl shouting "I want my clothes off!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HGQsWPNpus

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

OniPanda posted:

Also the overwhelming majority of the time, militaries do just that, plan based on current conditions. It's the reason we've had such a hard time fighting guerrilla wars in the Middle East, because we don't have the training or equipment for it because everything is based around conventional warfare.

Ironically, the U.S. Army finally mastered insurgency tactics at the expense of conventional fighting skills. At the tail end of the Iraqi surge they realized something like 90% of their units were unable to fire artillery accurately.

Those might have been scare numbers to get more funding. I have no idea what percent of units are supposed to fire artillery accurately. Maybe 20%? The trend towards guerrilla fighting did hurt conventional war training, though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ironically, the U.S. Army finally mastered insurgency tactics at the expense of conventional fighting skills. At the tail end of the Iraqi surge they realized something like 90% of their units were unable to fire artillery accurately.

See also air-to-air warfare in the Vietnam war which highlighted aerial combat skills issues[1]

[1] Intro to Top Gun

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OniPanda posted:

What near-peer exists that wouldn't be screwed if we weren't selling them weapons?

It's more fluid than that. Russia, for one. Russia has scarily-effect SAM systems and is selling them to everyone, S-300s are *everywhere* and if a non-stealth airframe gets within missile range of that system, odds are good that that plane's not making it home. Even if you're not going to war against Russia, saying "Well, in the next 50-70 years we're not going to war with anyone Russia sells stuff to" isn't good planning.

quote:

Which one exists that we aren't selling weapons to that would actually rival us in 15-20 years even if we completely stopped all new acquisition and development?

That's a much bigger list than you think. Our current dedicated air-superiority plane, the F-15C, last rolled off the production line in 1992, and they have literally started falling apart in midair through structural fatigue.

quote:

Also the overwhelming majority of the time, militaries do just that, plan based on current conditions.

It's a dumb idea and has repeatedly proven to be a dumb idea.

quote:

It's the reason we've had such a hard time fighting guerrilla wars in the Middle East, because we don't have the training or equipment for it because everything is based around conventional warfare.

Right. So now you advocate that what we should do is just plan to fight nothing but guerrilla wars in the Middle East for the next 50 years?

quote:

The F-22 was designed and built during the Cold War to combat the proposed MiG. The Soviet Union collapsed, we built it anyway. Your other point is off base also. It's not "do we use the B-2 or let it sit there," it's "we're designing a new plane, does it need these features that the last one never needed."

Again, you design for the missions you anticipate. Designing a new heavy bomber that can't enter contested airspace and can't operate without supremacy is not good planning. The best weapon for bombing ISIS is probably an extended range Reaper, but there's a whole bunch of poo poo that *can't* do, so unless you want no ability to do anything other than bomb ISIS for 50 years you need to do other things too. Could you send enough big old bomb trucks to bomb sites protected by modern missile systems to get the job done? Yeah, probably, but a bunch of them wouldn't make it home, and a bunch of their crews wouldn't make it home, and that's something that limits our options, and planning to limit your options is a bad thing. Right now, every single thing our military does is predicated on air superiority, and if you want to maintain that in the face of proliferation of modern SAMs, that means low-observable designs.

This isn't the forum to debate this, but if you're seriously interested in it I suggest the airpower thread which has plenty of people in it who do this kind of thing for a living.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Those might have been scare numbers to get more funding. I have no idea what percent of units are supposed to fire artillery accurately. Maybe 20%? The trend towards guerrilla fighting did hurt conventional war training, though.

Good thing they know how to form a square for if they get attacked by cavalry!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Robert Downey Jr. is starring in a reboot of Nightmare on Elm Street? Fuckin sweet!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Finish the ad:

:toot:
"Eight hundred five eight eight, two three hundred..."

It's one of maybe 4 phone numbers I have memorized, shamefully.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

porkswordonboard posted:

Finish the ad:

Empiiiiire

Content: Dodge's new "Villains need vehicles, too" BvS tie-in is loving retarded. Who wants to associate themselves with comic book mooks? Supervillains, maybe, but nobody wants to be the foot-soldier. video here

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

That hat + beard combination makes him look Amish as gently caress.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That hat + beard combination makes him look Amish as gently caress.

Pilgrim hats are now "badass" to nerds for whatever reason.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:

porkswordonboard posted:

Finish the ad:

Nice! How about this one:

"If you're having trouble sleeping, call the handy toll-free number, it's the offer of a lifetime, 1-877 ____ _____"

Hint: It played at every commercial break during The Price is Right

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Sleeveless posted:

Pilgrim hats are now "badass" to nerds for whatever reason.

Blood borne and probably still some tiny amount of warhammer fantasy people

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

1redflag posted:

Empiiiiire

"Today."

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I would guess someone's a fan.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Took these today

Now I don't know much about the backstory of this insanity of marketing, but I don't feel like "minion made! (made in china)" is a very good thing to put on something

From what I can gather from 30 seconds on rotten tomatoes these things are mindless who desperate look for a evil mastermind to serve, or in this case work for a typical chinese slave labor sweatshop

stringball has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Mar 27, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

stringball posted:

Took these today

Now I don't know much about the backstory of this insanity of marketing, but I don't feel like "minion made! (made in china)" is a very good thing to put on something

From what I can gather from 30 seconds on rotten tomatoes these things are mindless who desperate look for a evil mastermind to serve, or in this case work for a typical chinese slave labor sweatshop
Philadelphia is not China, dude

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nitrox posted:

That's where it was distributed from it clearly says product of China are you willfully dense?

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Uhh I can't tell if this is some sort of joke on the Pedant Wasteland forum name, but it's pretty clearly made in China.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Everyone knows that China has a city named Philadelphia just so they can trick gullible people into thinking that they're buying American, duh :rolleye:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The few times I've been to Philadelphia I have observed people spitting on the street, maybe it is China after all?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

Everyone knows that China has a city named Philadelphia just so they can trick gullible people into thinking that they're buying American, duh :rolleye:

I knew it! America needs a city called China to even things out.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

It doesn't make sense that we use these to bomb brown people without radar. They have great range and payload, but all their stealth technology is pretty much wasted. I'd like to see some massive Spruce Goose looking monster that holds 4k pounds of bombs and maybe costs 40 million per plane rather than the half-billion these new ones are going to cost.
Let's not beat around the bush, these are for bombing Iranian nuclear facilities in 10 years.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Philly has a pretty huge Chinese demographic.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Nitrox posted:

I knew it! America needs a city called China to even things out.

There's one in Illinois.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The North Tower posted:

There's one in Illinois.
I hear they're the best at Math.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don't even know who is joking and who is actually that dumb anymore in this forum. The company that distributes it is in Philly. It's manufactured in China. There's no contradiction.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I don't even know who is joking and who is actually that dumb anymore in this forum. The company that distributes it is in Philly. It's manufactured in China. There's no contradiction.

It's across the street from my girlfriend's house, I'm definitely joking. The Frankford Candy place, not China, just to be clear.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Love the new subtitle

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Celluloid Sam posted:

Love the new subtitle

Enrique does not.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I could swear the whole Enrique joke was half in the Life Hack thread anyway. :shrug:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin posted:

I could swear the whole Enrique joke was half in the Life Hack thread anyway. :shrug:

PYF is basically just a large homogeneous mass

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It started here, and like most good PYF memes it proliferated across the sub.

walla!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

PYF is basically just a large homogeneous mrear end

Edited to be more accurate.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

AlphaKretin posted:

Enrique has more than two halves.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It started here, and like most good PYF memes it was beaten to death.

walla!

I know i know i did it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Maybe advertisers have always done this and I'm just now noticing, but anyway, it seems like a lot of companies are doing this thing we're they make a mini documentary or social experiment to see what people will say and we're supposed to be surprised and/or inspired and/or moved to tears by the outcome. That's cool I guess, but I always wonder if they're entirely scripted or they just go through X number of participants to get the reactions they want. Take this one, for example. I really have trouble believing it. I just feel like it would be the kids naming pop stars and celebs and the parents saying "I just want my kids to put down the video games for 5 minutes and eat at the dinner table."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wfbY3i4FY0