Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Resident Evil was a pretty good video game movie. Well… compared to most, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

DoctorStrangelove posted:

If you don't understand what physicalized EVA is, I found this video explaining it - https://youtu.be/vLLFfBZZRRE

Insparpiring video.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm pretending it's a year from now and they're trying to figure out why everyone is locked out of the building.

that's way better. you win.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

D_Smart posted:

It's OK to disagree. But you're wrong. Just because a bunch of people think on-board audio is poo poo, doesn't mean on-board audio is poo poo. What's important is the number of people buying audio add-in cards

To wit:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

And you are 100% wrong about "sounds tinny and thin". Completely. That's because you clearly haven't been keeping up with on-board audio improvements. I'm a developer. I have.

I'm a musician, been keeping up with all audio advancements, you're wrong. Onboard is poo poo and sounds like garbage compared to even a cheapish dedicated card. The onboard in my pretty decent rig sounds like utter trash compared to my £50 card.

That's why decent Headsets (eg, the hyperx cloud 2s) now frequently come with an additional USB soundcard dongle, because you literally can't benefit from a good headset without a decent dedicated amp to drive it.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm pretending it's a two weeks from now and they're trying to figure out why everyone is locked out of the building.

FIFY

Great caption, by the way.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

"smile or you're fired"

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Tippis posted:

I raise you…

…which just makes it even more bizarre, since wikipedia often doesn't even mention the years in the chart. So that part is nonsense too. Most of the time, while the exact development dates aren't in the wiki articles, there are links to interviews and source documents that do give a good enough estimate to produce a sensible chart. At that point, it's just a matter of how clear they are (and to what extent they at all use) terms like “alpha” and “beta”. When I made my version, I couldn't find much in the way of “pre-pro” or “alpha” information for most games, so it all gets baked into the general development cycle.

Why do people keep inflating ED's numbers? Its two years.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Going through some of :pgabz:'s videos, I have questions/thoughts. Apologies if these have come up before, but...

How exactly do you get vortices coming off of the landing rocket's exhaust? They're in vacuum, no?

How hard is it to get something like F=ma to exist in a game? I'd hope it's not horribly tricky, but that seems to be well, well, out there for these guys.

You know what this place really needs? Chris Foss style spaceship colours. Possibly a general comment on most space games, but still. Give me some garish colours and hazard stripes. Maybe make your fuel-lines one colour, air another, that sort of thing. A nice bit of maximum saturation can do wonders for ships.

Is there a button to retract your immersion ladders, or do they just all deploy like the landing gear? If there is a button, what happens if you press it while someone's immersing up the ladder?

There's clearly cheap and easily available artificial gravity because we're jumping randomly over the scale of Sci-Fi Hardness, so why the heck are there the (theoretically) rotating janky rings on the station? Is is where they store the poor who have only stumped up £30 or whatever? Do they just get their ships dumped into space via the rotating disc while they live in the shipping containers the rings are probably inexplicably full of?

Come to think of it, that's not a half-bad idea. If you don't have the artificial gravity, why not just store incoming ships in slots on the outside of the station and fling them into space for free? I mean, you could even fuel them up from inside without needing some guy to stand under the engines... You'll probably still have the fuel pump guy because that's how Immersion works in this weird future, but at least he's indoors. Of course, I literally know nothing about game development.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Star Citizen : The latest patch removed the bread from the poo poo sandwich

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

MeLKoR posted:

- "Dune" goes without saying
- Iain M. Bank's "Culture" series is the best
- Stanislaw Lem's "Fiasco" for truly alien aliens
- "Altered Carbon" series for cyberpunk
- "Mars" trilogy for colonization stuff
- Old Man's War for a modern take on Starship Troopers, quality declines in the later books

Some other sci-fi books I've enjoyed over the years, if they are part of a series it's because the rest aren't as good. Some might not be very good books but had some premise that I really liked to see explored.
- War of the Worlds (if you haven't read the book you should)
- Contact (same as before)
- Embassytown
- Roadside Picnic (inspired the Stalker movie/games)
- A Deepness in the Sky
- The Quantum Thief
- The Prefect
- Permutation City
- Blindsight
- The Dispossessed
- A Canticle for Leibowitz (no space travel here, post apocalyptic)
- Eon

poo poo, I'm forgetting a ton of them but this should get you started

Posting from way the gently caress back, but how the gently caress through this chain did 'A Mote in God's Eye' not get brought up. Bolo, CJ Cherryh's poo poo and for comedy, "The Man Kzin Wars'' to see where Crobber got his career of intellectual theft too.I enjoyed Glen Cook's Dark War (name aside) and Starfisher trilogy too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

1500 posted:

Why do people keep inflating ED's numbers? Its two years.

I include it mainly because it's the “we're thinking and looking for publishers” period before the Kickstarter, same as the year that Citizens refuse to count. Yes, it more than doubles the ED “development” time, but on the other hand, if at any time the zealots refuse to count the date Chris himself said the SC development started, then they must also accept that ED went from funding to release in less time than it took for SC to even get their second alpha out.

It's the same with Fallout 3, really: they started “working on it” (as in, decided they were going to make Fallout 3) in 2004, but the actual production didn't start until well after Oblivion was out in 2006.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 26, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

I'm planning a new rig for the end of this year/early next year (gotta wedding & house to deal with first). What the heck should I be looking at for a sound card?

gently caress sound cards, buy a decent DAC and use optical out from your onboard to hook it up.
Cheap dedicated external DAC is still better than a mid-end sound card (if there are any still out there) in most cases.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lime Tonics posted:

For the dude asking about the dog rear end wallpaper thing, and asbestos, watch from 49 mins to 53 mins, dog rear end things at 55 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMXuu01jAdg

These are the people in charge of the game, mind you.

Inspires confidence!!!!11!!!!!11

paaarp

Why is there garbage on the front of the table in the middle of the shot?
Why is Ben's wife talking from a cave?
Who gave Ben a Red Bull?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

sound design doesn't matter in this thread, they're literally jangling and shaking things that they can find from around the office in a corner of a room and calling them weapon sound effects. i hear for the gatling gun they're just going to shake all of ben's redbull can tabs in a box. sad thing is if they donated those tabs they could make a wheelchair for someone.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TacticalNecromancy posted:

There's clearly cheap and easily available artificial gravity because we're jumping randomly over the scale of Sci-Fi Hardness, so why the heck are there the (theoretically) rotating janky rings on the station?

Ask your physicist/not dumb friends to explain that one from a realism standpoint.

They haven't figured out a technology/aesthetic standard. It's all over the loving place and based on Wing Commander science where everyone goes quiet on spaceships (even the bulldozer driver) while the enemy tries to find you with depth charges.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

Human Stimpede

Not sure if portmanteu of Stimpire and Centipede or Stimpire and Stampede.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens posted:

Ask your physicist/not dumb friends to explain that one from a realism standpoint.

They haven't figured out a technology/aesthetic standard. It's all over the loving place and based on Wing Commander science where everyone goes quiet on spaceships (even the bulldozer driver) while the enemy tries to find you with depth charges.

I'm trying to imagine that ship in the game right now and I can't stop giggling

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

peter gabriel posted:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

orcinus posted:

gently caress sound cards, buy a decent DAC and use optical out from your onboard to hook it up.
Cheap dedicated external DAC is still better than a mid-end sound card (if there are any still out there) in most cases.

There is only so much to be gained from a Digital to Analog converter (DAC), most sound cards and built in audio are already more then enough to handle audio signals that a human can hear. People spend way too much money on audio equipment, hell dvd audio was a scam as you can't get better audio from it then you can a CD. Its basic DSP, and it does not lie.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

omg lmfao

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Going through some of :pgabz:'s videos, I have questions/thoughts. Apologies if these have come up before, but...

How exactly do you get vortices coming off of the landing rocket's exhaust? They're in vacuum, no?

How hard is it to get something like F=ma to exist in a game? I'd hope it's not horribly tricky, but that seems to be well, well, out there for these guys.

You know what this place really needs? Chris Foss style spaceship colours. Possibly a general comment on most space games, but still. Give me some garish colours and hazard stripes. Maybe make your fuel-lines one colour, air another, that sort of thing. A nice bit of maximum saturation can do wonders for ships.

Is there a button to retract your immersion ladders, or do they just all deploy like the landing gear? If there is a button, what happens if you press it while someone's immersing up the ladder?

There's clearly cheap and easily available artificial gravity because we're jumping randomly over the scale of Sci-Fi Hardness, so why the heck are there the (theoretically) rotating janky rings on the station? Is is where they store the poor who have only stumped up £30 or whatever? Do they just get their ships dumped into space via the rotating disc while they live in the shipping containers the rings are probably inexplicably full of?

Come to think of it, that's not a half-bad idea. If you don't have the artificial gravity, why not just store incoming ships in slots on the outside of the station and fling them into space for free? I mean, you could even fuel them up from inside without needing some guy to stand under the engines... You'll probably still have the fuel pump guy because that's how Immersion works in this weird future, but at least he's indoors. Of course, I literally know nothing about game development.

I cannot answer all your questions (I don't know what F=ma means for example) but I can tell you the dust clouds are stupid and they appear in mid air if a ship has even 10% of its hull over land and I can also tell you ladders retract when you get in your pilot seat but don't always work. Any obstruction of the immersion ladder results in it being stuck there forever, you can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HXtqdiqsA

From about 1.30

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ha ha oh god yes!!!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Goobs posted:

sound design doesn't matter in this thread, they're literally jangling and shaking things that they can find from around the office in a corner of a room and calling them weapon sound effects. i hear for the gatling gun they're just going to shake all of ben's redbull can tabs in a box. sad thing is if they donated those tabs they could make a wheelchair for someone.

If you listen very carefully, you'll recognize Ben's gut-flaps in the mix as well as the rustling of lower order mammals inhabiting Lando's beard.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

peter gabriel posted:

What's the odds that getting another smaller ship tangled up in the dumb spinning parts will cause the smaller ship to clip into the dumb spinning parts, explode, cause the dumb spinning part ship to explode, cause a server malfunction and crash the game for everyone?

Who am I kidding. it's not even a bet worth making.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

Dear god this is wonderful. :five:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

1500 posted:

There is only so much to be gained from a Digital to Analog converter (DAC), most sound cards and built in audio are already more then enough to handle audio signals that a human can hear. People spend way too much money on audio equipment, hell dvd audio was a scam as you can't get better audio from it then you can a CD. Its basic DSP, and it does not lie.

On the contrary, there's quite a bit to gain.
Clean power rail and a good preamp, for starters.

It's not about the DAC IC as much as the actual implementation and other components in the chain.

That said, even DACs themselves (as in ICs) can sound wildly differently.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Xaerael posted:

What's the odds that getting another smaller ship tangled up in the dumb spinning parts will cause the smaller ship to clip into the dumb spinning parts, explode, cause the dumb spinning part ship to explode, cause a server malfunction and crash the game for everyone?

I am picturing immersion ladders poking out of every side with commandos stuck to them

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I am picturing immersion ladders poking out of every side with commandos stuck to them

the "breach assault ship" will just be a giant flying hamster ball with ladders sticking out of it at all angles with people just holding on for dear life as it flings commandos at the target vessel

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Her fameinfamy approaches. I have heard of exactly two people in that movie (one of which because I love certain seriously cheesy films). Also, her character appears to be the mother of a character so insignificant they don't even list it in the cast list on IMDB.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Like a giant fly paper carousel?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Goobs posted:

the "breach assault ship" will just be a giant flying hamster ball with ladders sticking out of it at all angles with people just holding on for dear life as it flings commandos at the target vessel

No, the Tevarin are supposed to be Egyptian, so I think it'll be ripped straight outta Stargate.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

CIG crows about "realism," but will run roughshod over it whenever they please in an effort to make things look "cool." Though as you've noticed, it ends up looking dumb because they straight up ignore important things like there is no air in the vacuum of space to cause those vortices.

And your idea isn't bad at all: that's the idea behind how fighters were launched from the station in Babylon 5.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

I wonder if a small ship can actually end up flying half-clipped inside the big spinny ship's geometry.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Her fameinfamy approaches. I have heard of exactly two people in that movie (one of which because I love certain seriously cheesy films). Also, her character appears to be the mother of a character so insignificant they don't even list it in the cast list on IMDB.

It's pretty telling how minor the role is when it's title is "Vic's mom", rather than firstname-lastname.

It's another bit part for Sandi, the bit part demon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1QkvMJcsA

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

:lol:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Xaerael posted:

It's pretty telling how minor the role is when it's title is "Vic's mom", rather than firstname-lastname.

It's another bit part for Sandi, the bit part demon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1QkvMJcsA

Sandi Gardiner - Voice of Scrubbling Bubble #16 (no spoken dialogue)

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Wait, on Sandi's imdb:

Around the Verse (TV Series)

ATV was on TV? That's weird. I always thought it was just on youtube.

also, lol:

The Bold and the Beautiful (TV Series)
Reporter
- Episode #1.5679 (2009) ... Reporter

my stepdad was a reporter for an HBO show series once, I guess he's an actor and NOT an extra. jesus christ talk about resume padding, she's such a joke.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

D_Smart posted:

I hinted at this weeks ago and again in the past 48hrs. Something big is going down; but I can't talk about it.

if you can't talk about it then don't loving post about it at all

your "I know something you don't know" posts are useless garbage

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

orcinus posted:

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

That must be the cocktail mixing ship, it's the only way it makes sense.

• Locked thread