Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hey, they did something new and exciting with Space Dandy and now they're bringing back Samurai Jack, might as well give them the benefit of the doubt with FLCL and hope that their fourth show is something just as cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh no it is not time to give them the benefit of the doubt cause they did not make Space Dandy that was being made regardless of Toonami.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hey, they did something new and exciting with Space Dandy and now they're bringing back Samurai Jack, might as well give them the benefit of the doubt with FLCL and hope that their fourth show is something just as cool.

who is "they"

hoobajoo posted:

The point is, that money could have gone to something new and exciting. Or at least Attack on Titan season 2, jesus it's been a while.

as bad as FLCL S2 could be, there's no way it'd be worse than wasting more money and time on AoT

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

hoobajoo posted:

The point is, that money could have gone to something new and exciting. Or at least Attack on Titan season 2, jesus it's been a while.

I mean, it couldn't have

Cartoon Network wasn't going to fund something that was already happening

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

who is "they"

as bad as FLCL S2 could be, there's no way it'd be worse than wasting more money and time on AoT

Well congrats because AoT Season 2 has been in planning for like three years now

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

Well congrats because AoT Season 2 has been in planning for like three years now

I know that, it's still going to be terrible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Personally I am looking forward to more Attack on Titan

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Baal posted:

Uh no it is not time to give them the benefit of the doubt cause they did not make Space Dandy that was being made regardless of Toonami.

Toonami bankrolled the second half of Space Dandy, hence why they got World Premiere rights and stuff.

Last year when IG got the rights to FLCL they made a statement that they were looking to use the rights, perhaps to remake the series, so time passed and Toonami gave them the monetary push to do these new seasons, I'd assume something similar was going on with Samurai Jack that people were looking into doing more of it and Toonami offered the investment.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

Attack on Titan has been going on the whole time

it hasn't gotten less stupid

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know Toonami bankrolled the second half. I'm saying that even if they didn't do that, you would've had a pretty fantastic 13 episodes, but instead we got a stellar 26. However that's because Shinichi Watanabe is fuckinf amazing and so is his team. The staff for the new FLCL isn't even gonna be the same team and even the lead writer is a "supervising" role. It doesn't set off good signs and I don't have blind faith in them solely because they put money into things I like.

Rodyle posted:

Yes, I've been reading the manga, I know what's been happening.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rodyle posted:

who is "they"

The Anime Overlords that decide how much money each anime will get

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
please forgive rodyle he was born with a medical condition that disallows for viewpoints on media that aren't his own

it's called woolie syndrome

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's cool not everyone can appreciate The Sasha Show

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Baal posted:

I know Toonami bankrolled the second half. I'm saying that even if they didn't do that, you would've had a pretty fantastic 13 episodes, but instead we got a stellar 26. However that's because Shinichi Watanabe is fuckinf amazing and so is his team. The staff for the new FLCL isn't even gonna be the same team and even the lead writer is a "supervising" role. It doesn't set off good signs and I don't have blind faith in them solely because they put money into things I like.

Okay, that's fair. I don't really care much about FLCL, but i've enjoyed Space Dandy and Samurai Jack will probably be great, so I feel like the Toonami people have a good eye on what to invest on.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

please forgive rodyle he was born with a medical condition that disallows for viewpoints on media that aren't his own

it's called posting on the internet actually, man complaining about the viewpoint on media of someone else

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 25, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like I would still be opposed to it because I love FLCL and don't think it needs more of literally anything, but I would be willing to be the crazy guy living in the cardboard house if it was all the original staff at that point.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
It's gonna be good and everyone's gonna be happy and my dad will say he's proud of me

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Another thing, have the Zaibatsu seen Batman vs Superman yet? Or is that a silly question?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Grouchio posted:

Another thing, have the Zaibatsu seen Batman vs Superman yet? Or is that a silly question?

You could check their twitters if you wanted answers

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blockhouse posted:

Major shade throwing in this thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dias posted:

Is FLCL good? Is a sequel to FLCL good?

FLCL is one of the best coming of age stories out there and has some of the most insane and great animation in an anime, it's six episodes go watch it

Baal posted:

Yeah like all the super nuts stuff has happened past where the anime ended (they foreshadowed a tiny bit of it) so I am really, really looking forward to a season two when it happens

Man, magilla gorilla is gonna really be something to see animated

Rodyle posted:

Yeah its great!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Making a sequel to a puberty metaphor seems ill conceived

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ruggington posted:

Making a sequel to a puberty metaphor seems ill conceived

Unless it's about how disillusioned anime protagonists become hosed up weird adults because of their hosed childhoods.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Pat left to see it three hours ago, so tension is high as he should post something on twitter soon. Anyways, this morning he said he wanted a superman toilet seat so he could piss all over it, and apparently was in a car and upon seeing a guy in a superman t-shirt he rolled the window down so he could boo him, solid twittering imo.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Grouchio posted:

Pat has been ranting on Twitter for like 3 days now about how much he hates Superman, and apparently went to watch BvS to watch it burn in front of him.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

Pat has been ranting on Twitter for like 3 days now about how much he hates Superman, and apparently went to watch BvS to watch it burn in front of him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I disagree on any DC stuff they talk about, strictly because they refuse to watch the Tim-verse series on principle or some poo poo.

That said, Zach Synder's Superman Cinemaverse is a goddamn disaster.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure they've all mentioned having seen at least parts of the various DCAU stuff? At the least Batman, who of that age group hasn't seen parts of that?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Pat went on this tirade during an old podcast about how he hates western comic books because they just continue on chapter after chapter instead of having hard-set endings like mangas, and that just seemed particularly crazy to me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A good poster posted:

Pat went on this tirade during an old podcast about how he hates western comic books because they just continue on chapter after chapter instead of having hard-set endings like mangas, and that just seemed particularly crazy to me.

No that's totally fair. What's actually crazy was Woolie trying to argue that superman is a genre and that runs are series.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A good poster posted:

Part of the reason why 90s comics were awful was because they were all written with the assumption that you had read every other comic in the line from the beginning.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Honestly, pat was 100% right in that argument.

The Idea that Superman is a genre, and that runs are series is loving crazy, also, superman sucks poo poo and I'm glad this movies so bad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tae posted:

I disagree on any DC stuff they talk about, strictly because they refuse to watch the Tim-verse series on principle or some poo poo.

That said, Zach Synder's Superman Cinemaverse is a goddamn disaster.
Heaven's Gate bad?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Heaven's Gate bad?

grouch, take a break, please

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rodyle posted:

grouch, take a break, please
:smithcloud:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Watch Twilight Princess or something, there's better Best Friends content to consume than this thread!

e: in fact this thread is 90% anime opinions, the worst part of Best Friends

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 26, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/713560379780173824

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Pat's Twitter avatar is basically perfect and I hope he never changes it. Shine on you perfectly calibrated crazy diamond :allears:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Combined Matt/Max stream was loving strong, there was some serious Predator nerd boners being exposed on stream and it was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro