Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

The main reason it's a shitshow is Nvidia, not HTC (though I'll admit there are some build quality issues as well).

There are a lot of other issues with it. The light bleed on the LCD was pretty bad and the speakers were relatively weak despite being "boom sound." The back cover was also really susceptible to marking up. Despite having a metal bezel design, it never felt quite as solid as the all plastic Nexus 7.

The real question is whether or not Google mandated the use of that SoC or if HTC decided to do it in a bid to get a 64 bit device into Google's hands sooner.

Despite all of what I've written about not buying a Nvidia SoC again, I did finally break down and sell off the N9 for a Pixel C and I have to say holy poo poo. That completely and utterly blows away the N9 in terms of everything and really isn't all that much more expensive when looking at launch pricing.

The real issue with using HTC at this point is the fact that they've had massive brain drain over the past few years. Everyone is evacuating the company. We also know that their RMA depots are utter poo poo now and frequently turn around a device that's more broken than when you sent it in. Google may make some demands on the device manufacturer in terms of design, but I'm not convinced that a Nexus partnership is enough to make up for everything that HTC has going against them right now. The Nexus program still leans heavily on OEM support and what we know of HTC right now tells us that they are really not good at that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The main reason it's a shitshow is Nvidia, not HTC (though I'll admit there are some build quality issues as well).

Ask Jerk McJerkface about his Nexus 9s. HTC is as much a culprit as Nvidia.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HTC made the Nexus One which was considered a pretty good phone for the time. Granted, things were different back then, but if there's any company that can be said to inhabit the uncanny valley with regard to nearly-great phones, it's HTC. They got so close with the One series but all of the things they did well made the blemishes all that more glaring.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'm running the N preview on my N9 and holy hell is it terrible.. If I wake it from sleep and swipe my unlock pattern it's probably about 30 seconds before I can open an app and use it properly.. It was only slightly better before the N update

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Ask Jerk McJerkface about his Nexus 9s. HTC is as much a culprit as Nvidia.

Which one

Or one of the four I got and swapped from best buy?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

Google selected the nVidia chipset. It's still on them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Google selected the nVidia chipset. It's still on them.

Nvidia chipsets don't necessarily mean a bad thing. The Shield tablet is well liked and recommended. I think though the N9 chipsets has some sort of strange code execution oddities that make it super inefficient but I'm not sure if the details.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I'm running the N preview on my N9 and holy hell is it terrible.. If I wake it from sleep and swipe my unlock pattern it's probably about 30 seconds before I can open an app and use it properly.. It was only slightly better before the N update

Odd, I noticed the reverse. On stock, it's sluggish as hell to wake up, and on N it seems great.

I thought there was an "android things" or "it is an android" emoticon that would have been great to show two entirely different results, but apparently not (or I'm blind).

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Alarbus posted:

I thought there was an "android things" or "it is an android" emoticon that would have been great to show two entirely different results, but apparently not (or I'm blind).

I thought so too but turns out no one ever bought it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
No one bought it but I have it saved.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alarbus posted:

Odd, I noticed the reverse. On stock, it's sluggish as hell to wake up, and on N it seems great.

It's not odd at all. Non-determistic performance is the defining characteristic of the Nexus 9's SoC. Thanks, NVIDIA.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 25, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LastInLine posted:

That's true, but the 16GB Nexus 5x at $249 is a big step up for $50.

Grey Area posted:

I think the third generation Moto G with 16 GB flash/2 GB RAM is still the recommended cheap phone. (Don't get the 8 GB/1 GB version. 1 GB of RAM doesn't cut it.)

Thanks guys. I was a little misleading; her personal budget is $150-200ish, but my roommate and I are chipping in to cover the slim $300-450 price point. I'm going to have to prod her more about her typical usage and wants/needs, but I'm pretty sure a 16GB 5X fits the bill. My main concern is the lag reports, and the recent update which supposedly alleviated them. The Moto X Pure and Nexus 6P are both still on the table (the latter considering she'd be alright with a borderline phablet.) I've poked my head in this thread enough in the past few years to know the Oneplus 2 is pretty much right out.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Instead of paying for half of your friend's phone, have you considered carrying a printer to her house?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's not odd at all. Non-determistic performance is the defining characteristic of the Nexus 9's SoC. Thanks, NVIDIA.

This is the best, most accurate statement ever (about the N9).

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Instead of paying for half of your friend's phone, have you considered carrying a printer to her house?

lmao

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm sure this is funny in some sort of context but idgi

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/3/

Serious answer: My Nexus 5X is fine, and other people report that the March update is legit and solved a lot of problems.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

:perfect:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

azurite posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/3/

Serious answer: My Nexus 5X is fine, and other people report that the March update is legit and solved a lot of problems.

Hahaha oh, no, it's nothing like that. The girl in question is my roommate's sister and a longtime friend; by extension, essentially my sister. Her current Metro phone is in dire straits and hearing a friend say "I need a new (tech device)" always perks my nerd ears up. It's either she buys another ~3-generation-old Metro phone with bargain bin components, or we help pad her budget and get her a rad phone.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there any way to fix scrolling in Android? When I scroll content everything tilts a few degrees and it looks highly disturbing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Is there any way to fix scrolling in Android? When I scroll content everything tilts a few degrees and it looks highly disturbing.

Uh, what are you talking about?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Don't twist your wrist when you scroll with your thumb/finger??

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, what are you talking about?

With my Nexus 10, whenever I scroll anything, like menus, web pages, even the task switcher, the scrolling animation is not straight. All the contents tilt a few degrees and it looks super weird, when stuff is supposed to move straight up or down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know what's being talked about. Scrolling deforms what's being scrolled like it's this slightly elastic sheet. Nothing remains square. This has been going on forever.

I've seen it the most on my Nexus devices, my MXP seems mostly free of the issue though I had noticed it on my droid turbo previously.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can definitely not replicate that on my Android devices so you might be having a stroke or something.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I know what's being talked about. Scrolling deforms what's being scrolled like it's this slightly elastic sheet. Nothing remains square. This has been going on forever.

I've seen it the most on my Nexus devices, my MXP seems mostly free of the issue though I had noticed it on my droid turbo previously.

So I assume this is simply a feature and you can't really do anything to get rid of it. Thanks for the response, at least I know I'm not just imagining it :v:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

RZA Encryption posted:

drat, Daniel!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Went to some stores to get a sense for the physical feel of some phones today.

What the gently caress! The N6P and Moto Pure are gigantic! And I have pretty good size mitts on me. I have a 2 1/2 year old Moto X (which I love, but is slowly breaking). I'd perhaps be into getting a new one, but the 2nd gen is the most recent X and it's pretty old at this point. Any sense for if/when Moto is going to release a new phone about that size, or is there anything else I should try out? I'm interested in the Galaxy S7, but it's pretty drat pricey and isn't unlocked.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

MechaFrogzilla posted:

What the gently caress! The N6P and Moto Pure are gigantic! And I have pretty good size mitts on me. I have a 2 1/2 year old Moto X (which I love, but is slowly breaking). I'd perhaps be into getting a new one, but the 2nd gen is the most recent X and it's pretty old at this point. Any sense for if/when Moto is going to release a new phone about that size, or is there anything else I should try out? I'm interested in the Galaxy S7, but it's pretty drat pricey and isn't unlocked.

If those are too big then there's not much more to look at other than the S7. Moto releases their new phones during the fall if you're not in any rush.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I'm willing to bet now that the S7 is out other phone manufacturers will follow Samsungs lead and put out devices around that size. I am thinking about waiting until fall for another Motorola too since I'm on the maxx and I loving loved it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

LastInLine posted:

That's true, but the 16GB Nexus 5x at $249 is a big step up for $50.

Assuming it's bought in the U.S. from Fi or the Google Store before April 7, and you're willing to lay out for one month of Fi service ($30 minimum pretax , but you get refunded for unused data), you get a 150 off (discount if bought through Fi, Rebate if bought through the Google Store) on the 5X. Looking at $239 for a new unlocked 16GB 5x, or $279 for a new 32 GB before taxes (plus up to $10 in rebate if you wind up using none of the data) that you can take to any carrier who will accept it at any time.

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#supported-devices-3

Assuming supplies are still lasting, and that there isn't something hiding in the fine print in this offer that I haven't personally tried or heard back from anyone about.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm willing to bet now that the S7 is out other phone manufacturers will follow Samsungs lead and put out devices around that size. I am thinking about waiting until fall for another Motorola too since I'm on the maxx and I loving loved it.

The S7 isn't any bigger or smaller than the S6 or S5 though.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

nimper posted:

The S7 isn't any bigger or smaller than the S6 or S5 though.

But, weirdly enough, it now seems to be the smallest "flagship" phone.

Thanks, all. Guess my choices are to wait for the Moto X or spring for the S7. Unless the Nexus 5X is good enough? May need to look into that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

How quick do you think phone development times are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

How quick do you think phone development times are?

Look man, just punch some numbers into the phonecabulator and get that poo poo onto the assembly line already!!!